Pete Carroll is the NFC's best coach.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/videos/seattle-seaha ... best-coach

I agree. I think he's clearly the #2 HC in the NFL behind Bill Belichick. Super Bowl champion. Two-time NFC champion. Five-straight years with playoff wins. Went seven-straight years with Top 4 finishes in college football. One of only three coaches in the history of the game who have won both a Super Bowl and a college football national championship. Probably a Hall of Fame coach. On the cusp of six-straight 10-win seasons. College football and NFL records for most consecutive games without losing by more than seven points and by 10 points. Four-straight seasons with the #1 scoring defense. Somehow managing all the defensive injuries this year to stay in the playoff hunt.

His greatest coaching achievement will be how he rebounds from this season and cements his legacy in the chronicles of coaching history.

Fade

Reaction score
Going forward he is the 3rd best coach in the division. McVay & Shanny are better than him not in terms of body of work, just strictly in terms of going forward. Pete has more talent and does less with it.

The Niners are more banged up than the Hawks with less talent to boot, and look at what he is doing with Jimmy G. McVay took the 32nd ranked offense in the NFL in 2016, and turned it into one of the NFL's best.

This is a now and going forward ranking. Not a body of work ranking.

01 Mike Zimmer
02 Sean McVay --Rising fast.
03 Sean Payton
04 Kyle Shanahan --Rising fast.
05 Dan Quinn
06 Pete Carroll
07 Mike McCarthy
08 Doug Pederson -- Will shoot up the list if he wins an Owl with Foles. He reminds me of McCarthy though.
09 Bruce Arians
10 Jay Gruden
11 Ron Rivera
12 John Fox
13 Jim Caldwell
14 Dirk Koetter
15 Jason Garrett
16 Steve Spagnuolo

This is a fluid ranking. I had Pete Carroll #1 two years ago with Mike Zimmer nipping at his heels, and Sean Payton a distant 3rd at the time, but Pete has been slipping a lit bit every year since.

The reason I have dropped him down in the rankings is fairly obvious, and has to do with the offensive side of the ball. That needs to be fixed or he will continue to drop. It also doesn't help that the team seems more undisciplined than it ever has been under Carroll. Big changes need to come in the off-season, and I am looking forward to it.

OP
OP
hawknation2017

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Fade":2zdq5l8q said:
Going forward he is the 3rd best coach in the division. McVay & Shanny are better than him not in terms of body of work, just strictly in terms of going forward

Sorry, stopped reading there because I could not stop laughing.

You are predicting the future based on 15 games of coaching. :lol:

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
hawknation2017":192jlnky said:
Fade":192jlnky said:
Going forward he is the 3rd best coach in the division. McVay & Shanny are better than him not in terms of body of work, just strictly in terms of going forward

Sorry, stopped reading there because I could not stop laughing.

You are predicting the future based on 15 games of coaching. :lol:

Agreed. Why don't you wait and see how those coaches do once they start paying their stars and have to get by with less than half a team of 1st rd picks.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
You can only base it on their body of work, not potential. Yes Pete is the best in the NFC.

cymatica

Reaction score
If Lynch and Shanahan can do to the 49ers what Pete and John did with Seattle then there's a conversation. Pete completely changed the culture and started from scratch, while maintaining success for years. 49ers look on the right track but we will see.

McVay was handed a loaded team. Let's how far he can take that team before we crown him.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
cymatica":6glhv6el said:
If Lynch and Shanahan can do to the 49ers what Pete and John did with Seattle then there's a conversation. Pete completely changed the culture and started from scratch, while maintaining success for years. 49ers look on the right track but we will see.

McVay was handed a loaded team. Let's how far he can take that team before we crown him.

Let's not forget, the entire NFL changed after what Pete was able to accomplish. If Richard Sherman was coming out of the draft he would probably be drafted 2-3 rds higher now just because every team wants a long rangy CB.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Pete has got to be the least innovative offensive coach in the NFL. His offensive philosophy has devolved into 2 plays: run it and throw it deep. That’s about it. We have no short and intermediate passing game, despite the fact that this team ran such an offense to perfection in the second half of 2015. He is also a terrible offensive game planner, refusing to adapt to his teams’ strengths.

I love Pete for what he’s done in the past, but I view him as a dinosaur at this point. Would gladly move on for a young, hungry innovative offensive coach like McVay or Shanahan.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2pkrxl72 said:
Pete has got to be the least innovative offensive coach in the NFL. His offensive philosophy has devolved into 2 plays: run it and throw it deep. That’s about it. We have no short and intermediate passing game, despite the fact that this team ran such an offense to perfection in the second half of 2015. He is also a terrible offensive game planner, refusing to adapt to his teams’ strengths.

I love Pete for what he’s done in the past, but I view him as a dinosaur at this point. Would gladly move on for a young, hungry innovative offensive coach like McVay or Shanahan.

Since McVay and Shanahan have jobs at the moment, who do you suggest?

What about just a new OC?

getnasty

Reaction score
Fade":3nib31e2 said:
Going forward he is the 3rd best coach in the division. McVay & Shanny are better than him not in terms of body of work, just strictly in terms of going forward. Pete has more talent and does less with it.

The Niners are more banged up than the Hawks with less talent to boot, and look at what he is doing with Jimmy G. McVay took the 32nd ranked offense in the NFL in 2016, and turned it into one of the NFL's best.

This is a now and going forward ranking. Not a body of work ranking.

01 Mike Zimmer
02 Sean McVay --Rising fast.
03 Sean Payton
04 Kyle Shanahan --Rising fast.
05 Dan Quinn
06 Pete Carroll
07 Mike McCarthy
08 Doug Pederson -- Will shoot up the list if he wins an Owl with Foles. He reminds me of McCarthy though.
09 Bruce Arians
10 Jay Gruden
11 Ron Rivera
12 John Fox
13 Jim Caldwell
14 Dirk Koetter
15 Jason Garrett
16 Steve Spagnuolo

This is a fluid ranking. I had Pete Carroll #1 two years ago with Mike Zimmer nipping at his heels, and Sean Payton a distant 3rd at the time, but Pete has been slipping a lit bit every year since.

The reason I have dropped him down in the rankings is fairly obvious, and has to do with the offensive side of the ball. That needs to be fixed or he will continue to drop. It also doesn't help that the team seems more undisciplined than it ever has been under Carroll. Big changes need to come in the off-season, and I am looking forward to it.

Please let's not forget how highly thought of Harbaugh and Airens were know look at them. I agree with the OP until someone else has a run that is compatible with Pete he's still the top dog.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":5sgvj4on said:

Look how the Skins are doing with Gruden, or the Bucs with Koetter, or the Chargers with McCoy, or the Jags with Bradley the pas few years, or the Giants with Ben Mcadoo, or Vance Joseph in Denver. All young and hungry and all either bad or mediocre HC's. And thats just off the top of my head. There's like 5 failed coaches with that description hired every year. This isn't John Fox or Jeff Fisher you're wanting to replace. Young and hungry isn't going to be better.

You don't replace the best head coach in franchise history for one down year. Especially when that one down year is the most injury plagued we've seen in years and still likely to end 10-6.

Steve2222

Reaction score
If it’s me, I’d trade Pete for Sean McVay in a second. I think McVay is the next great mind in the NFL. I’m talking Walsh and Belichick level.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If Pete misses the playoffs with this much talent on his roster and a top 5-7QB? Not sure how you can call him the best coach in the NFC this year.

Peterson, McVay, Payton, Rivera and especially Zimmer, who's about to go 13-3 with a 3rd string QB.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1tsycb46 said:
If Pete misses the playoffs with this much talent on his roster and a top 5-7QB? Not sure how you can call him the best coach in the NFC this year.

Peterson, McVay, Payton, Rivera and especially Zimmer, who's about to go 13-3 with a 3rd string QB.

Funny how you mention Payton and Rivera, both coaches whom have had multiple down seasons. This board would have fired them already. They actually sort of prove my point. Down years are common with every team not named the Patriots. The Steelers, Panthers, and Saints have all had down years worse than anything Pete has had this far. Now they're All superbowl contenders again.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1yqjw4g4 said:

Unrivaled injuries, overall past successes?

The article is referencing overall acumen and success,not “this year” per se. Why are people so quick to anoint new faces with not much else than a year of results. Zimmers team failed to make the playoffs last year after a 5-0 start for example. And my goodness, Rivera and Payton? Really? If we are going to ignore their multiple poor seasons and celebrate their successes shouldn’t OC get atleast one year without playoffs before people shutter him?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2obhs0l0 said:
Sgt. Largent":2obhs0l0 said:

Unrivaled injuries, overall past successes?

The article is referencing overall acumen and success,not “this year” per se. Why are people so quick to anoint new faces with not much else than a year of results. Zimmers team failed to make the playoffs last year after a 5-0 start for example. And my goodness, Rivera and Payton? Really? If we are going to ignore their multiple poor seasons and celebrate their successes shouldn’t OC get atleast one year without playoffs before people shutter him?

For sure, if we're just talking in general, then Pete's probably still #1.

And I wouldn't use the term "unrivaled injuries." What do you think our record would be if we had a 3rd string QB? Patriot's are about to be the #1 seed again with massive injuries all year, on both sides of the ball.

We've had our fair share for sure, the irony is the defense is still playing better than the offense, and the offense is at it's healthiest. Amazing coaching Pete! Your offense still stinks.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
3rd string QB who is playing much better than the 1st rounder Bradford they had last year? Is that coaching or a bit of luck?

I’d say Seattle has more injuries than the teams it’s competing against this year. And while the defense is playing better, isn’t that a testament to PC

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
It's way too early to anoint Shanahan. They were 1-10 a month ago. They're still a losing team that's far away from the playoffs. Let's see what happens next year. Same with McVeigh. Teams can fall from 11-5 to 7-9 really easily in this league. Lose a couple of free agents, a coach, a retirement, and two injuries, and it happens.

Pete has done a lot of great things. Since 2015, he's 29-17-1. It's a good record with two playoff wins. A lot of teams would love to have that. It's disappointing given the 6, 7, 8 pro bowlers he's had on defense though. They've had time to fix the o line and running back situation, and they haven't. So now there will likely be a third straight disappointment.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":9cmijfm2 said:
3rd string QB who is playing much better than the 1st rounder Bradford they had last year? Is that coaching or a bit of luck?

Both.

Give Spielman and Zimmer credit, they went out and got Keenum, AND coached him up to the point where he's playing great, better than he ever has.

That's not luck, that's good coaching and foresight on the part of Spielman to go get another quality QB that fit into their system and schemes.

Meanwhile we're in Russell's prime and in a system he's been in for seven years with the same coordinators and most of the same personnel, and our coaching staff, GM and coordinators still can't figure out how to make this offense productive on a consistent basis.

Not exactly #1 coach material. Thus my point. If this is some big body of work #1 ranking? Good for Pete, but IMO he's had his worst year of coaching yet, with some terrible front office and personnel moves.