ZBS has to go

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Being a born and bred PNW guy. I truly enjoyed watching Chip's offense at Oregon. His Zone Blocking Scheme, bubble screens and long chunk plays worked great.... Until he played a team that played hat on hat, smashmouth football. Which is why Auburn, Ohio State and Stanford ALWAYS had his number. Then, when he came the NFL, he caught the league by surprise... the first season. After that, and tons of film study on the ZBS and spread type offense he fell apart. The success we enjoyed with this blocking scheme was in fact with Max Unger and Okung on the line (both Chip ZBS experts.)

The same thing has happened with the Seattle offense. It's time to move to a man-to man blocking system. It's the only path ahead without gutting our entire O-line. I would look at a Erhardt-Perkins type system, or maybe a modified version ala Belichick. Either way you shake it, the ZBS is a dying breed in the NFL. TIme to drop the hammer.

OP
OP
Sox-n-Hawks

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":w1n0em1f said:
Agree. It’s painfully obvious the players are horrible at it.

It's an overcomplicated mess, that only works well in hurry up mode because it prevents defenses from reading it. Inexperienced O-linemen tip the plays with foot and hand position. It takes a TON of time to get it down. That's why Kelly ran 100+ plays a practice. You cannot get pros to play with that kind of discipline and risk of injury.

IrishNW

Reaction score
half the NFL runs ZBS, what are you talking about?

OP
OP
Sox-n-Hawks

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
IrishNW":24ymvp32 said:

Look up a list of teams that use the ZBS. They tend to be teams that have a flash in the pan success in the beginning and fizzle or HUGE lulls in production as they turn over O-linemen and struggle with injuries. You'll be surprised at how many inept offenses run a ZBS. Unless of course we want to mimic the Browns...

IrishNW

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":184fifq7 said:
IrishNW":184fifq7 said:

Look up a list of teams that use the ZBS. They tend to be teams that have a flash in the pan success in the beginning and fizzle or HUGE lulls in production as they turn over O-linemen and struggle with injuries. You'll be surprised at how many inept offenses run a ZBS. Unless of course we want to mimic the Browns...

the saints use a ZBS

OP
OP
Sox-n-Hawks

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
IrishNW":ht80xbf1 said:
Sox-n-Hawks":ht80xbf1 said:
IrishNW":ht80xbf1 said:

the saints use a ZBS

Yes, and they've been through a rough patch for how many years? Struggling to find a cohesive line, battled the injury bug and had LESS success than Seattle in the last 7 years. If that's the path you want, go for it. Pittsburgh is the same way. So is Baltimore. That's why Belichick is able to pick them apart.

Oh yeah... and never mind Max Unger is the Center that Chip trained to run the system at Oregon.

IrishNW

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":2p6dat1i said:
IrishNW":2p6dat1i said:
Sox-n-Hawks":2p6dat1i said:
IrishNW":2p6dat1i said:

the saints use a ZBS

Yes, and they've been through a rough patch for how many years? Struggling to find a cohesive line, battled the injury bug and had LESS success than Seattle in the last 7 years. If that's the path you want, go for it. Pittsburgh is the same way. So is Baltimore. That's why Belichick is able to pick them apart.

no, that terrible defense has been why. saints have had a top tier offense for years. ZBS is still being used because it works.

OP
OP
Sox-n-Hawks

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
IrishNW":3u3d5cmr said:
Sox-n-Hawks":3u3d5cmr said:
IrishNW":3u3d5cmr said:
Sox-n-Hawks":3u3d5cmr said:

the saints use a ZBS

no, that terrible defense has been why. saints have had a top tier offense for years. ZBS is still being used because it works.

We'll see. When was the last SB won by a team using the ZBS AFTER Chip entered the NFL and it got exposed for what it is? I'll give you a hint. Zero. You can bet it will be a hat on hat team that wins it this season too.

IrishNW

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":3h9nfxh7 said:
IrishNW":3h9nfxh7 said:
Sox-n-Hawks":3h9nfxh7 said:
IrishNW":3h9nfxh7 said:
the saints use a ZBS

We'll see. When was the last SB won by a team using the ZBS AFTER Chip entered the NFL and it got exposed for what it is? I'll give you a hint. Zero. You can bet it will be a hat on hat team that wins it this season too.

i dont know what to tell you if you think the ZBS is the reason why teams dont win superbowls.

cymatica

Reaction score
I'm amazed how often our linemen disengage from their 1st level blocks too soon.

Fade

Reaction score
The Denver Broncos under Kubiak ran ZBS the year they won the Superbowl in 2015.

The Seahawks in 13.

The Falcons who played in the Superbowl last yr. and set records on offense used the ZBS.

That is just recently. Cable has to go, it's not the scheme. It's the coach.

OP
OP
Sox-n-Hawks

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
IrishNW":3f8tfrps said:
Sox-n-Hawks":3f8tfrps said:
IrishNW":3f8tfrps said:
Sox-n-Hawks":3f8tfrps said:

i dont know what to tell you if you think the ZBS is the reason why teams dont win superbowls.

That’s just one measurement. Don’t take my word for it though. Take Max Unger off New Orleans line and they’ll be 8-8.

IrishNW

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":qh9vw2bc said:
IrishNW":qh9vw2bc said:
Sox-n-Hawks":qh9vw2bc said:
IrishNW":qh9vw2bc said:

That’s just one measurement. Don’t take my word for it though. Take Max Unger off New Orleans line and they’ll be 8-8.

dont worry, im not taking your word for anything

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The OLne was certainly the weak link today, at least the RBs tried but regularly were met at the handoff location.

Atradees

Reaction score
We have to adapt. We have been doing the same thing with the same players. This better be a good draft. Of non Ruskillian proportions.

warden

Reaction score
The problem with the zone blocking system is the amount of time it takes to get the timing down. With us having three or more new faces at positions each year, combined with all the new rules regarding physical contact in training camp and practice, it takes too long to gel. The system still works well if you have continuity for a few years with the same players which is something we have been unable to do

nwHawk

Reaction score
Replace Jimmy Graham and Luke Joeckel (lots of missed assignments) and we'll improve. Heck, Roos was encouraging today. Wish we would have kept Pocic at LG (better fit for him) and had Roos at RG a few weeks ago.

I could be way off, but it feels like after the Brown trade we started to get better, but then we fell into a rut when Joeckel came back from the knee procedure.

sdog1981

Reaction score
ZBS works at every level of football Cable can’t coach it or identify players who will work in that system.