JimmyG or a running game

nwHawk

Reaction score
Moving forward, those that really want Jimmy resigned should know that he kills our run game. He should be a WR. We can't afford to bring him back.

Look how much our offense, and the team as a whole, struggled without a running game. Jimmy missed block after block. He is not a "Seahawk" type team player. He didn't attack the football in the air unless he was in the end zone. Strange. Thanks for the memories.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Exactly, he should be used like he was in New Orleans . . . as a WR, never as an in-line blocker.

The fact that the current OC insists on using him as a blocker, rather than as a SE, shows the height of his incompetence.

Can Jimmy block a DB on the outside? Of course, that's called a size mismatch. But asking him to block like an OT makes zero sense. Such an utter waste of talent.

Using him on the outside would actually help the running game by forcing teams to pull a safety outside of the box to cover Jimmy.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I want a good shape TE that can block and catch. Screw the playmaker. JG is fine but just doesn't fit what they are doing. Watched him do a down block (not the hardest block) and totally got owned. Not the first time. Nothing against him as a player, he obviously has skills but this was a mistake of a trade.

Exittium

Reaction score
I think some of ya all just love hating on players because they’re not putting up your “fantasy league” numbers. And no it’s not like your thread title indicates. they can have both if they use Jimmy properly, and build around Russell. Ship off Prich and dead wood on defense to clear ya some money and Jimmy is fine. Lol

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Running game, all day. That is the key to success. Plus, a lot of folks around here are sleeping on Vannett. He is the TE of the future here. Jimmy can get his big bucks elsewhere.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Exittium":ho16if5m said:
I think some of ya all just love hating on players because they’re not putting up your “fantasy league” numbers. And no it’s not like your thread title indicates. they can have both if they use Jimmy properly, and build around Russell. Ship off Prich and dead wood on defense to clear ya some money and Jimmy is fine. Lol

I hate fantasy football but Graham can not block. That is a problem. He is used more for blocking than anything else.

OP
OP
nwHawk

nwHawk

Reaction score
Exittium":2hvkdxlb said:

Jimmy's a liability in the run game, and it we only use him when we plan to throw I suspect other teams would figure it out quickly. At this point Vannett was a pleasant surprise. Jimmy doesn't even chip well.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
If we decided to franchise tag Graham, Bevell's misuse of him could actually be to our benefit, as he would be priced as a TE (around $8-9 million) rather than as a quasi-WR (as he was in New Orleans).

peppersjap

Reaction score
I'm not sure why people think that Jimmy Graham would want to resign here. I don't think I've ever seen a player used this badly ever. As for the running game, it would have been nice to see them actually try to establish the run on an opening drive but every game we come out passing??

hawknation2017

Reaction score
peppersjap":1cus2p5s said:
I'm not sure why people think that Jimmy Graham would want to resign here. I don't think I've ever seen a player used this badly ever. As for the running game, it would have been nice to see them actually try to establish the run on an opening drive but every game we come out passing??

What if we hired his former OC Pete Carmichael?

And there is always the TE Franchise Tag.

Threedee

Reaction score
Exittium":1sm5zu1k said:

If your argument invokes fantasy football, then you don't really have an argument.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Graham is soft. You can't preach power football and go that route. Jimmy is a great receiving TE in the redzone, but inside the hashes he seems disinterested and drops tons of balls.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
When the RB is regularly being met at or near the point of the exchange to them you sort of have to believe it is not on any of the TEs,but rather totally on scheme or the total failure of the OLine to block.

The whole O needs a refresh starting at the coaching level. It’s time to blow it up and start over.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
Use as a WR and run 2 "TE" sets... weapon that is improperly used. Also stop trying to replace Lynch, Marshawyn is unique and no one has that rare skill set of shifty and power unless we could get Barkley from PSU. Draft backs and scheme to strengths. Main problem with offense is we don't scheme to strengths/against weaknesses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subzero717

Reaction score
hawknation2017":2cq4dgtc said:
peppersjap":2cq4dgtc said:

What if we hired his former OC Pete Carmichael?

And there is always the TE Franchise Tag.
Sean Payton?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

original poster

Reaction score
IIRC the TE franchise tag for Graham would be ludicrous. Very close to $15M if my memory serves.

original poster

Reaction score
original poster":2qhixtvl said:
IIRC the TE franchise tag for Graham would be ludicrous. Very close to $15M if my memory serves.

Just checked that.

Seems I’m talking nonsense. The franchise tag for Graham in 2018 is $10,360,000, per OTC.

Seymour

Reaction score
Exittium":12b5dudz said:

They can have both if you ignore his $10M wage that comes at the cost of legit olinemen possibly.

The guy is soft and takes plays off. It's all on film to see. This is not smashmouth football he plays, yet that is what Pete want's. Stupid signing IMO.

massari

Reaction score
Go get Martavis Bryant as a cheap 700k replacement and use Graham's money on a real blocking TE and/or OL.

"I'd think at this point the ballpark for Bryant is a 7th-round pick with maybe an increase of one round if he put up big numbers and kept his nose clean for the rest of the year. Given how the year has played out for him on the field and now asking publicly for a trade I think it would be pretty hard to get much more than that even with a cheap contract." --Jason Fitzgerald, Over The Cap

semiahmoo

Reaction score
hawknation2017":1z4xb3a7 said:
Exactly, he should be used like he was in New Orleans . . . as a WR, never as an in-line blocker.

The fact that the current OC insists on using him as a blocker, rather than as a SE, shows the height of his incompetence.

Can Jimmy block a DB on the outside? Of course, that's called a size mismatch. But asking him to block like an OT makes zero sense. Such an utter waste of talent.

Using him on the outside would actually help the running game by forcing teams to pull a safety outside of the box to cover Jimmy.

YES! This has driven me crazy. It's so simple, basic offensive scheme stuff. Take the huge, talented WR and line him WIDE so you pull the D to that side and give the line and the backs more chance to make/find a hole.

Cripes it's so simple and yet for whatever reason our offense didn't do this nearly enough and/or was very late in starting to.

Ultimately that comes from PETE. I've heard many say Pete is very weak via offense playmaking which is why he gives near complete control of the play calling over to the OC. Always has been. I don't buy that. He can't really be THAT bad - can he?