Cardinals Game--A Microcosm of the Entire Hawks 2017 Season

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Today's game was unbelievable and exasperating in so many ways. As I sat back and reflected on today's season ending game, it struck me just how much of a real microcosm this game was of the entire 2017 season ... and the issues this team has faced. In no particular order, you have ...

1) Horrendous Offensive Line Play -- which has plagued this team all season long and once again been the Achilles heel that's felled this once mighty giant.

2) The Running Game Woes -- Today especially was a complete night and day from the 1st Half to the 2nd Half. Absolutely, could not generate any kind of running game in the 1st Half. And what did we see as a result? Russell Wilson struggled. Wilson was at his best and most deadly when Marshawn Lynch was in his prime and doing this thing. What did we see in the 2nd Half? The running game gets going ... and all of a sudden, Wilson looks a bit more like his old self.

3) Dropped Passes at Key Times -- Luke Willson, UGH!! Just catch the darn ball man! That catch right there could have been the difference in the game. Dropped passes have been a real thorn in the side all season long.

4) Blair Walsh Missed FG's -- Once again, the decision to not retain Hauschka rears its ugly head. The kicking game was directly responsible for at least 2 of our losses this season.

5) Predictable Play Calling -- I’m sure that Bevell does the same thing that Holmgren used to do in scripting the first 20 or so plays on offense. Well guess what buddy -- you ain’t fooling anybody. In the 1st Half, Arians knew what you were going to do each and every time. It is SO past time for a new Offensive Coordinator it ain’t funny.

6) Russell Wilson is the Seahawks Offense -- Again, that was both good and bad. He’s amazing, but he needs things to help him out back there, such as: 1) An innovative play caller, 2) A Competent Offensive Line, and 3) A Consistent Running Game -- for starters. He’s being asked to be the man … but even elite players cannot win games all by themselves.

7) Penalties, Penalties, Penalties -- How many key penalties did this Seahawks team have today? 8 penalties for 100 yards!! Now, we can argue about the legitimacy of some of those calls (such as that PI against Coleman) … but you just cannot have that many setbacks and expect to succeed. Once again, penalties come back to really bite this team.

8) Inconsistent Pass Rush -- Again, it was a tale of 2 halfs. The first half, this Cards Offense (mind you who were fielding virtually all backups along that offensive line) was blowing our guys off the ball. They were knocking gaping holes for Kerwynn Williams in the 1st Half. As a result, the Hawks found themselves in a 20-7 halftime deficit. 2nd Half -- totally different story. Guys like Garrison Smith and Dion Jordan all of a sudden gave this group a spark and began pushing that pocket back into Stanton’s lap and moving him off his spot. Result -- only 6 points allowed in the 2nd Half. How many times have we seen this same scenario play itself out again and again this season?

9) Slow Starts & Getting Bullied AT HOME -- I don’t know what the deal was, but in the first half, I found myself saying, “I don’t know who these guys are anymore. I don’t recognize this team.” This Seahawks team is used to BEING the bully … not getting bullied. Seahawks football since Pete Carroll has been here has been all about smash mouth, tough nose, ram the ball down people’s throats, and playing stifling crushing defense. They never ever used to get knocked around at home like that. Looking at this team, I felt like they had kind of lost their identity. I’m not sure if they found a little bit of that in the 2nd half, but this is a theme that has come up again and again.

10) Ineptitude on 3rd Down -- our beloved Seattle Seahawks were 1-12 on 3rd Down today. The Seahawks were terrible on 3rd Down in the Rams game (4-12) … terrible on 3rd Down in the Jaguars Game (2-9) … and at several other points this season. 3rd Down has been a problem both on offense … AND on defense all year long. Absolutely this was another huge area of concern this year.

You can bet changes are a coming for this team. It will be real interesting to see how this team chooses to attack things this offseason. One thing's for sure - change is most definitely necessary.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Yep, the same kicker that cost the team the Atlanta and Washington games. He’s a choke artist.

Frankly I agreed with most all of the OP and thought the game was a microcosm of the whole season.

Slow start, weak running game, stupid critical penalties, too many mistakes, the usual consistently atrocious OLine play, inability to convert 3rd downs, or defend them either, undependable pass rush, all season the same story with only a few brief moments of good football from this team. Time to reorganize the O change the coordinator and OLine coach and findsome real talent at RB.

Changes must be made as the trend is not our friend.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Absolutely a microcosm. As a matter of fact, when he missed it, I immediately said what many probably said "of course he missed it."
Brutal