Kasen Williams not making the team

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
IMO set this entire season up for failure. Do I think that Kasen Williams is any good? Not really. But it deviated from Pete Caroll's "always compete" mantra.

It was painfully obvious to me that players have begun to not buy into Pete's "philosophy." Pete has been wishy washy on his own philosophy this year.

Mike Davis sitting on the practice squad almost all year after he had a damn good preseason while Lacy and Rawls failed over and over again.

Blair Walsh being handed the job after he missed the game winner in Minnesota without any competition.

Playing musical chairs once again with the OL and Ifedi. You can't tell me that someone didn't compete harder than Ifedi.

Megatron

Reaction score
Kasen Williams was waived by the Browns mid-season and had to clear waivers and not get signed as an UFA by another team to go on their practice squad. Think about that for a minute and let it sink in, he was passed by 31 teams to clear waivers and become an UFA only to be re-signed to the Browns practice squad, the worst team in the league. Maybe, just maybe he didn't make the final 53 because he failed to beat the competition here and in Cleveland.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
So because the Browns did not keep him that must mean what?

The Browns are sort of the posterchild for stupid decisions, so their judgement is not really a validation of anything. Probably the opposite.

As for the other 31 teams? Immaterial since they didn't have him in.

The point still stands.

Seattle was a mini mecca for FAs because there was a belief there was a fair shot to earn a spot. That apparently is not true, and you are noticing we don't get first pick of the coveted FAs like we used to.

Ultimately, regardless of the Browns - he was good here. And he was good at making contested catches in traffic, something we needed. He didn't get kept because he was a crap run blocker. So was everyone else though.

And the only reason Davis got a shot was we ran out of bodies. They let him go, keeping Lacy and Procise. Please don't pretend either one of those guys produced at all this preseason.

Always compete is complete BS, part of the reason we have the problems we have. Because our team is keeping guys not based on results but instead on preferences.

original poster

Reaction score
IIRC Williams didn’t make the 53 due to his lack of effort on plays that weren’t going to him.

The players will be well aware of it. If his blocking was good I’d agree that it sets an awful example not keeping him but lack of effort in blocking is as good a reason as any other not to make the team. He certainly looked special at times, though.

The fact he cleared waivers is telling.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Even the Pats did not pick him up ... let that sink in. They take everyone's garbage and turn them into gold.

original poster

Reaction score
DJ_CJ":2jg3ju0i said:
What roster is he on again? Same as Pope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kasen is on the Browns practice squad and Pope is on the Texans practice squad. :2thumbs:

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
A guy that couldn't get separation, won a couple jump balls while not being complete WR in our scheme was the downfall...yea, BS

Seanhawk

Reaction score
original poster":3tslx0mc said:
DJ_CJ":3tslx0mc said:
What roster is he on again? Same as Pope?

Kasen is on the Browns practice squad and Pope is on the Texans practice squad. :2thumbs:

What? Pope isn't in the Hall of Fame yet?

Subzero717

Reaction score
original poster":jgcbvwxb said:
IIRC Williams didn’t make the 53 due to his lack of effort on plays that weren’t going to him.

The players will be well aware of it. If his blocking was good I’d agree that it sets an awful example not keeping him but lack of effort in blocking is as good a reason as any other not to make the team. He certainly looked special at times, though.

The fact he cleared waivers is telling.
That's purely speculative on any ones part.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Subzero717

Reaction score
I personally agree with the op 100%. I think those pointing to where he went and what's he's done since are completely missing the point. "Always Compete" is the "central theme to the program." He played lights out receiving and on ST's in the preseason as did Desir. Both were cut and both were head scratchers.

I have been watching football for a while now and I can't remember a bubble player being cut and having current and former players take the FO to task on it the way this did.

Its not the cut but what it demonstrated. Same as the trade for Graham. Trade for Richardson and a few others. Its not the trade itself per se but a veering off in philosophy.

BTW- McEvoy, Moore and Darboh all suck.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Megatron":3jyw6tuj said:
Kasen Williams was waived by the Browns mid-season and had to clear waivers and not get signed as an UFA by another team to go on their practice squad. Think about that for a minute and let it sink in, he was passed by 31 teams to clear waivers and become an UFA only to be re-signed to the Browns practice squad, the worst team in the league. Maybe, just maybe he didn't make the final 53 because he failed to beat the competition here and in Cleveland.
Byron Maxwell was cut by the Dolphins midseason and 31 other teams passed on him. Think about that for a minute.

Steve2222

Reaction score
lol people are still upset about Kasen? I wonder what team is going to pick up the future Hall of Famer?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Steve2222":35w4al0m said:
lol people are still upset about Kasen? I wonder what team is going to pick up the future Hall of Famer?

Not the point being made though.

Although it’s hard to argue in hindsight he should’ve been kept

Steve2222

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1nwasuno said:
Steve2222":1nwasuno said:

He could have been kept seeing as he’s currently a free agent. So no an argument can’t really be made....

Also I see the point he’s trying to make. And it’s not a good one seeing as no team in the NFL wants him. He’s just supposed to take up a precious roster spot because he made a few good plays in the preseason because of a “Always Compete” motto? Give me a break.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Steve2222":2g7en9wp said:
Uncle Si":2g7en9wp said:
Steve2222":2g7en9wp said:

He could have been kept seeing as he’s currently a free agent. So no an argument can’t really be made....

Also I see the point he’s trying to make. And it’s not a good one seeing as no team in the NFL wants him. He’s just supposed to take up a precious roster spot because he made a few good plays in the preseason because of a “Always Compete” motto? Give me a break.
No, you don't get the point.

Vpk0718

Reaction score
Someone is wrong on the internet!

/engage condescension mode!

Steve2222

Reaction score
Subzero717":2rvzd8g8 said:
Steve2222":2rvzd8g8 said:
Uncle Si":2rvzd8g8 said:
Steve2222":2rvzd8g8 said:

No, you don't get the point.

Pretty sure I do

- Makes a few splash plays in the preseason
- Pete’s mantra is Always Compete
- Should have an automatic roster spot because of it

What am I missing. Please explain?