The Smallest Changes

StoneCold

Reaction score
I know much of the board will be about calling for heads to roll and players to be dumped. I thought it would be interesting to list the smallest changes possible to make the Seahawk's competitive next year. I have 3.

1. New Kicker (could account for 2 maybe 3 games).
2. New Right tackle (could account for 6 or 7 losses. Almost just kidding :) ).
3. Just 2 fewer penalties per game.

I would also add I've lost faith in Bevell. Too often this year when we needed 3 or fewer yards and there was no short route, receivers bunched together and we either took a sack or threw a low percentage bomb. But even with that, you change the other 3 and this years team is at least 11-5 and likely better.

Do we really need wholesale changes?

nwHawk

Reaction score
Were close, but the problem is financially this might be the best year to break off old salary. We have a lot of young talent. The future is still bright.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
New LT? You don’t think we will re sign Brown? I’d like to see us keep him and bring in a capable right tackle.

original poster

Reaction score
Yeah I questioned the Brown comment when I read it...

He’s under contract next year.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
We don't need a complete rebuild like, say, Chicago or Cleveland. But only making "minor changes" is what got us where we are now, coasting on our laurels and trying to recapture what we had in '13-'14. Missing the playoffs has brought that era to a close, and to try to emulate it again would be the biggest mistake this front office could make. That was a great run, the greatest in team history. But it's history, not the future.

The future is a new offense built around Wilson (as opposed to Lynch or the run game) and a defense rebuilt around our linebackers (as opposed to our secondary). And it starts with coaches who have a vision for that future, not coaches asking our young players to imitate the past, or trying to impose the past onto our current roster.

We don't need a complete rebuild, but we do need bold changes in coaching and team identity.

original poster

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":2ymtupb6 said:
We don't need a complete rebuild like, say, Chicago or Cleveland. But only making "minor changes" is what got us where we are now, coasting on our laurels and trying to recapture what we had in '13-'14. Missing the playoffs has brought that era to a close, and to try to emulate it again would be the biggest mistake this front office could make. That was a great run, the greatest in team history. But it's history, not the future.

The future is a new offense built around Wilson (as opposed to Lynch or the run game) and a defense rebuilt around our linebackers (as opposed to our secondary). And it starts with coaches who have a vision for that future, not coaches asking our young players to imitate the past, or trying to impose the past onto our current roster.

We don't need a complete rebuild, but we do need bold changes in coaching and team identity.

100% agree with everything you’ve said WCH.

jeremiah

Reaction score
Whatever it takes to beef up the O line and make the running game top 5 in the league #1

Cut salary from the defense while bringing in an outside speed rusher. It is not my job to say who needs to go and who needs to come. #2

Find a kicker who never misses an extra point, and who is money from 55 on in, they do exist.

Personally, I think Bevell and definitely Cable are not the correct people for this team. The Mora era ended with a shit OL, in the time that Pete has been here we have come full circle. This OL group sucks, and I don't see why that has never been addressed correctly. The best thing PC ever did was have a revolving door of "revolving doors" until he settled on good to decent players.

Why this Seahawk team never used Kam Chancellor at the LOS to blow up the QB is beyond me. But in his day, and maybe still, Kam with the Steelers would have been All World with 10 sacks per year or more. I hope his talent and heart have not been a waste for this team. With the speed at MLB we have, stunts from the LB positions should be common practice.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
People really jumped on that "RT" typo! :2thumbs:

I agree, but #1 should be avoiding injuries. Losing so many players was huge.