If it's not Bevell

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
As seen in another thread, Baldwin commented on the offensive struggles and defended Bevell and the playcalling, so let's entertain that perspective. Let's say Bevell is actually great and the plays being called put us in the best position to succeed--what, then, is wrong?

Is it the QB play? Wilson accounted for an unprecedented percentage of the team's touchdowns this season, but is his erratic movement drawing penalties on the offensive line and prompting receivers to abandon their routes?

Is it the offensive line just not talented enough to compete at the pro level, which leads to whiffed blocks and penalties?

Are our running backs missing gaps and dancing too much? Or are they just too weak or slow?

Is our tight end blocking non-existent?

Are our receivers too slow? Too short? Incapable of getting open?

Or maybe there is no grand problem and a few tweaks here and there will propel this offense into the top five.

Note: this is not a threat to bash Bevell. We have enough of those for now. This thread presupposes Bevell is not a problem. So then: who or what is?

Exittium

Reaction score
I want to say the oline just lacking so much.

The more I think of it, the more I think like how can you effectively call a play knowing your QB is going to be met with Dlinemen as fast as the ball os in his hands... because without bashing Bevell, how does a play work if your QB can’t even get time to do his reads without running around, or when your line can’t open a hole for your RB to get through

OP
OP
WindCityHawk

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
The fact that he specifically mentioned penalties and quality of play make me think he's frustrated with the O-line, and I would have to place the blame there as well.

Sure, we had some dropped passes, but on the whole I don't think our receivers are sub-par. Par, maybe, when averaged out, but they never struck me as that bad. And our starting tight end is the envy of the league, so that's hardly a problem. Our running backs looked like crap, but again, I'd point to the line for not even giving them a step to gain momentum.

I can't imagine how frustrating it must be as a receiver to sprint every play, just to walk back because of a run for no gain or a penalty.

getnasty

Reaction score
I've always said Bevell has a tough job with Pete reining him in, a QB who isn't the best out of the pocket and a OL that can't block anyone. Cable is a much bigger problem in my mind.

getnasty

Reaction score
GeekHawk":1re0dcwr said:
getnasty":1re0dcwr said:
a QB who isn't the best out of the pocket

Say what?!? That's just Ignorance On Display there.

That's your opinion, he not bad but quick timing routes he struggles with in my opinion. We could go round and round about how it's not his fault but I'll just say your right it's not his fault.

Seymour

Reaction score
I'll speculate.

Did we see Baldwin going after Cable when Russ was trying to rally the troops this year?

That was no act, he was pissed about something, and Cable / oline fits the bill perfectly.

Subzero717

Reaction score
getnasty":ek9jc0a3 said:
GeekHawk":ek9jc0a3 said:
getnasty":ek9jc0a3 said:

That's your opinion, he not bad but quick timing routes he struggles with in my opinion. We could go round and round about how it's not his fault but I'll just say your right it's not his fault.
I think its the fact you said he isn't the best "out of the pocket." That's actually where he flourishes and every metric supports it.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Wilson does abandon the play too quickly, more often than not.

That can be blamed on him not trusting his linemen. I'm not bashing Wilson, it's common human nature to avoid getting hit repeatedly.

If they could actually give him a pocket like Tom Brady and other QBS have the luxary of sitting behind, he would be more patient and let the play develop.

In regards to the OP, I'm done with Bevell imo. Too many times the offense gets shut out in the first hald. Someone has to take the fall for the offensive failures. A message needs to be sent.

getnasty

Reaction score
Subzero717":3q9786uo said:
getnasty":3q9786uo said:
GeekHawk":3q9786uo said:
getnasty":3q9786uo said:

I think its the fact you said he isn't the best "out of the pocket." That's actually where he flourishes and every metric supports it.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I meant in the pocket sorry, I agree he excels out of the pocket.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
I think it’s a combination of poor OL play and Wilson not trusting the pocket. Hard to fault the guy but he failed to step up into the pocket a lot this year when the opportunity was there. Every time Russ bails half our routes are gone. Sand lot football only does so much....it’s not consistent. I think just for Russ’ sake we need to replace Cable. He’ll most likely fall back into these habits next year if we don’t. Russ doesn’t trust the line and Cable’s blocking system and we need to do everything possible for Russ to feel comfortable back there. The OL never got better from the 1st game. That’s bad coaching.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I believe the issues are myriad. Cable does’nt seem to be able to make his zbs work with our players and our offensive design. Even when we were running the ball well though there was talk from analysts and former players that our passing routes were easy to read and defend and our offense was predictable. All of this together leads me to wonder if our defensive minded head coach isn’t meddling in the offense?

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":20guxv1z said:
As seen in another thread, Baldwin commented on the offensive struggles and defended Bevell and the playcalling, so let's entertain that perspective. Let's say Bevell is actually great and the plays being called put us in the best position to succeed--what, then, is wrong?

Is it the QB play? Wilson accounted for an unprecedented percentage of the team's touchdowns this season, but is his erratic movement drawing penalties on the offensive line and prompting receivers to abandon their routes?

Is it the offensive line just not talented enough to compete at the pro level, which leads to whiffed blocks and penalties?

Are our running backs missing gaps and dancing too much? Or are they just too weak or slow?

Or maybe there is no grand problem and a few tweaks here and there will propel this offense into the top five.

Note: this is not a threat to bash Bevell. We have enough of those for now. This thread presupposes Bevell is not a problem. So then: who or what is?

When it comes to leadership it starts at the head. If there isn't 100% alignment on the offensive front, there's a liability. I do not think Cable and Bevell compliment one and other's leadership style. This liability is best dealt with as a business decision by sending both of them down the trail. One one level, it's Cable and his ineffective ZBS on the other, it's Bevell's piss poor play calling. Then there's the non-traditional OL/ASSHC vs OC dynamic. Time to CTRL+ALT+DEL

Jville

Reaction score
My speculation is that they had too many personnel upsets.

Players with nagging injuries, maturity issues, situation awareness issues, distraction issues, focus issues, grit, ect. Some turned out to be something other than who they thought they would become. I recall season long references about some who didn't play, at times, like they practiced. I also think the offense forfeited being what they want to be ...... and became more of a patched together finesse offense. ....... just an impression on by part.

It takes a lot of mutually supportive interdependent parts to make up a team. Sometimes they suffer together and sometimes they thrive together. We witnessed a lot of that in 2017. Sometimes during the same game. Plenty of instructive video available for review during the off season.

The future looks bright.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":3i0xdi1m said:

I honestly think it's pretty much everything you named here, Wind. Including Bevell.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Is there a way to check how many times we use ZBS in the 1st half versus 2nd half?

Wondering if the first half is Cable's style first and 2nd half Bevell and Wilson takes over.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":3fmdpmxi said:
Is there a way to check how many times we use ZBS in the 1st half versus 2nd half?

Wondering if the first half is Cable's style first and 2nd half Bevell and Wilson takes over.

What it comes down to is first step and block assignments for ZBS, recruiting big tough linemen who are trained for man blocking is a failure. IF they drafted zone blockers like Unger and Okung, it's a completely different story. It's like teaching a hockey player to figure skate. It happens on ice, and thats where the similarities end.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Seattle Seahawks

Offense
2016 PPG: 22.1
2017 PPG: 22.9

2016: OYRD/G: 330.4
2017: OYRD/G: 357.2

Defense
2016: PAPG: 18.3
2017: PAPG: 20.8

2016: YAPG: 318.7
2017: YAPG: 323.2

2016: Turnover Ratio: +1
2017: Turnover Ratio: +8

2016 Record: 10-5-1, Division Champions, 1 Playoff win
2017 Record: 9-7, Out of the playoffs

The NFC has passed us by. It can't be just one thing. Lot has to change because next year our stats will probably go down as well.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":23dw1pfe said:
Seattle Seahawks

Offense
2016 PPG: 22.1
2017 PPG: 22.9

2016: OYRD/G: 330.4
2017: OYRD/G: 357.2

Defense
2016: PAPG: 18.3
2017: PAPG: 20.8

2016: YAPG: 318.7
2017: YAPG: 323.2

2016: Turnover Ratio: +1
2017: Turnover Ratio: +8

2016 Record: 10-5-1, Division Champions, 1 Playoff win
2017 Record: 9-7, Out of the playoffs

The NFC has passed us by. It can't be just one thing. Lot has to change because next year our stats will probably go down as well.

That turnover ratio speaks volumes.