DT Sheldon RIchardson says Seahawks "want me back"

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson, who can be an unrestricted free agent, said he is open to returning to the Seahawks and said the team has had some has had some initial talks to him about it. “I haven’t threw out a (salary) number or anything,’’ Richardson said. “But they said they wanted me back, so that’s a plus in my book.’’ Richardson said he is open to signing with Seattle prior to free agency depending on the offer. “We’ll see,’’ he said. “I’ll let all that handle itself.’’

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... ee-agency/

OP
OP
hawknation2017

hawknation2017

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/947640550093549568[/tweet]

joeseahawks

Reaction score
It's been rumored that the 49ers, with 100 millions in cap, will steal some of our vets to speed up their rise to the top. We saw the Raiders do it. Some of our guys played in the Bay area too. Could they try to steal Richardson?

OP
OP
hawknation2017

hawknation2017

Reaction score
It will be a few months before we know the franchise tag amount for sure, but last year's franchise tag for DTs was about $13 million.

Then again, Richardson is an excellent interior player, but he hasn't been a big sack guy the last couple years. 1.5 sacks in 2016. One sack this year. Sacks have been one of the biggest metrics for DL contracts. Perhaps that is changing.

He's in his prime, right now. I wouldn't be against franchising him for a year and then collecting the 3rd round comp pick the following year if we can't get a long-term extension worked out.

Carroll, Schneider, and Co. have never franchised anyone.

OP
OP
hawknation2017

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Forget everything I keep writing about the possibility of franchising Sheldon Richardson.

I just looked at the average of the Top 5 DT salaries for 2018, and it's nuts. It's at over $18 million already. And that could go up by March/April, unless several players renegotiate to reduce their cap burdens.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/201 ... ve-tackle/

The potential $15-20 million price, combined with the lack of our history in ever using the tag, makes me think it is near impossible that we tag Richardson.

Hopefully we can agree with Richardson on a four-year deal that pays him around $12 million per year.

Timmy Jernigan signed a deal recently that pays him $12 million per year over four years.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Won't Aaron Donald's deal drive up the franchise tag even more? He's looking to get upwards of 20 mil.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Holy crap he's no where near worth 12 mil a year. He'll be backing up Naz. He's not worth half that. Too small and can't disengage as a run defender. No way no way no way no way.

OP
OP
hawknation2017

hawknation2017

Reaction score
adeltaY":37s4vg5p said:
Won't Aaron Donald's deal drive up the franchise tag even more? He's looking to get upwards of 20 mil.

I would imagine so, but Donald still has another year left on his rookie deal. Probably should have checked on 2018 DT salaries before I spouted off about the franchise tag. :oops:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
vin.couve12":14dxzebj said:
Holy crap he's no where near worth 12 mil a year. He'll be backing up Naz. He's not worth half that. Too small and can't disengage as a run defender. No way no way no way no way.

That's how I feel. He slammed the door on some crucial drives with hustle, and his run defense was good, but ultimately, you're not worth top money unless you're providing instant pass rush from the interior. He didn't do that this year.

Everyone wants to talk about overpaying for aging defensive studs? THIS feels like one of those times. And yet...again...it's still not easy to come up with players like him, so Seattle may feel like they have no choice. How do we keep coming up with all these tweeners?

OP
OP
hawknation2017

hawknation2017

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":14g0u15h said:
vin.couve12":14g0u15h said:

That's how I feel. He slammed the door on some crucial drives with turnovers and sacks, and his run defense was good, but ultimately, you're not worth top money unless you're providing instant pass rush from the interior. He didn't do that this year.

Everyone wants to talk about overpaying for aging defensive studs? THIS feels like one of those times. And yet...again...it's still not easy to come up with players like him, so Seattle may feel like they have no choice. How do we keep coming up with all these tweeners?

He's only 27. If he signs a standard four-year deal, we could release or trade him when he turns 30 if need be.

A Timmy Jernigan-type contract seems very fair. If he's offered a lot more, I would balk.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
joeseahawks":194zf0uc said:
It's been rumored that the 49ers, with 100 millions in cap, will steal some of our vets to speed up their rise to the top. We saw the Raiders do it. Some of our guys played in the Bay area too. Could they try to steal Richardson?

Let them, hasn't helped us lately.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
hawknation2017":1v4u2mtx said:
Defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson, who can be an unrestricted free agent, said he is open to returning to the Seahawks and said the team has had some has had some initial talks to him about it. “I haven’t threw out a (salary) number or anything,’’ Richardson said. “But they said they wanted me back, so that’s a plus in my book.’’ Richardson said he is open to signing with Seattle prior to free agency depending on the offer. “We’ll see,’’ he said. “I’ll let all that handle itself.’’

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... ee-agency/

Honestly I could see the Vikings going after Richardson....I cannot even imagine how good that D would be with him. They have 60 million in cap and need an interior DL to pair with Linval Joseph

I hope Seahawks resign him though...interior DL is very important

smashmouth59

Reaction score
Cyrus12":942eihw3 said:
Makes sense if McDowell is in jail or in a boating wreck....

Boats n' hoes.

I had such high expectations for him. Then again, I did for Arron Curry as well. Thank you John Schneider for handing all this... :?

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Reed has played as well as Richardson. We won't be able to afford 91.

original poster

Reaction score
I’d personally like to see him resigned.

With that said, with the way Jarran Reed and Naz Jones have played it wouldn’t be a total disaster.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not if it's for 13-15 mil like he is rumored to make. This team has much more pressing issues to deal with. Now if Avril and Kam Retire and they move on from Graham, some cap space will likely come available.