Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

RW the most polarizing player to ever play for Seattle?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Any place I go or read....

It's rw is a god or rw is a bum.

Rw is a top 5 QB who has plenty of strengths and a few glaring weaknesses.

I'm not really getting into that but damn he is either loved like a god or despised by his fanbase. It seems only a few in between.

I have family who doesn't care for him and blame him no matter what. I know ppl who will blame anyone but him.

Did we have anyone on the hawks as a player lime this before?

Or is social media the reason?
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• In short, no.

He's a fantastic QB that 95% of the league would snap your hands off for - but people will always blame the QB when the team fails and football idiots/WUMs/trolls are loud, repetitive and have too much time on their hands.
    Beren
    NET Rookie

• Not sure I agree. I can’t think of a single poster on here who despises him?

Plenty recognise his flaws and openly state them, outside of a few media guys who spin the RW sucks story to get clicks I can’t think of anyone who actively pursues the narrative that he’s not good.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• original poster wrote:Not sure I agree. I can’t think of a single poster on here who despises him?

Plenty recognise his flaws and openly state them, outside of a few media guys who spin the RW sucks story to get clicks I can’t think of anyone who actively pursues the narrative that he’s not good.

Some Whiner fans do. :49ersmall:
    hawknation2017
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2017 wrote:
    original poster wrote:Not sure I agree. I can’t think of a single poster on here who despises him?

Some Whiner fans do. :49ersmall:

Valid point
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• There are a myriad of reasons for that. For example, I was just on another board where someone said “JimmyG is the best Qb in the division.” I wanted to laugh but realized this person was dead serious

As much as it pains people to admit it, we’re susceptible to conventional wisdom. I look at JimmyG and he just LOOKS like a Qb. The height and everything. People don’t get that impression when they look at Russell, so Russ pretty much has to play at a high level consistently for people to give him a break..or credit

That’s not to say Russell is not flawed. But at least 60% of the time I see criticism of him, it’s not rooted in a fair analysis of film, numbers, or comparisons to the mistakes other great Qbs make around the league. And so, I think this will always be the case. Psychologically Russell does not fit what many consider to be Qb-like. I don’t think it’s his accuracy or anything either because I see Carson Wentz get praise despite throwing high and having a low completion percentage. I have honestly never seen a Qb like Russell do as well yet get so nitpicked at for what he doesn’t do. It’s a shame
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

• Only to unsmart fans
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

• Any QB that is not named Tom Brady is controversial cause he doesn't make talent like Edelman/Wes Walker look like Randy Moss.
    Any organization that is not the NE Patriots is controversial, cause they don't win enough SBs.
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*

• Silly topic, unless you’re a niner’s troll.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

• Good lord, where do people get this crap?

:34853_doh:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• We used to have a league MVP running back who was hated by half the fan base. I think he was more polarizing.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• original poster wrote:Not sure I agree. I can’t think of a single poster on here who despises him?

You mean like "too short to see over the line"? :roll:

I also disagree. There are several posters here that openly despise him, and others that wait and take their shot at the right time to avoid the criticism.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• It probably seems that way more here at .net because there are a few "RW is a god that can do no wrong" types that turn appropriate criticism into 5 page threads in the name of defending their guy.

RW is a great QB and we are so lucky to have him. But he also has flaws and plays poorly at times. It would be nice if we could discuss those without those few guys getting overly defensive, but perhaps that is asking too much :D

Seattle seems to be a place where some fans are more likely to form emotional connections to pro athletes. I wonder if some take his media criticism to heart and wear the chip on their shoulder for him.
    Last edited by Hawkpower on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

• The list of people who clearly despise him is very long.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Beren wrote:In short, no.

He's a fantastic QB that 95% of the league would snap your hands off for - but people will always blame the QB when the team fails and football idiots/WUMs/trolls are loud, repetitive and have too much time on their hands.

I laughed when I saw the In short comment. No doubt it wasn't your intent based on your other comments but it made me smile.

Russ is the best QB the Seahawks have ever had. For him to be polarizing, there would have to be some discussion about that and there really isn't. That said, he can always do better, but there are 5 offensive line guys around him that need to do better too and their performance is causing an impact on Russ because he just doesn't trust the line.
    BullHawk33
    NET Starter

• Not to hijack the thread but for those arguing that it's not a Darrell Bevell problem and more a Russell Wilson problem, then why doesn't Bevell build around Russell's strengths i.e. shorter routes, more options, more creativity, instead of calling the same generic playcalling hoping it will work.
    Exciting football again!?
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Myrtle Beach Hawk, Go Gators!

• I criticize Russ as much as possible because his personality annoys me.

But he's a Top 3 QB to me.

I'm irritated and amazed by him at the same time.
    SixSeahawk
    NET Starter

• I would say Shaun Alexander. He didn’t run as hard unless they were in the red one or playing in primetime. Once he got his extension & Mack Strong retired. It was crap to watch. Holmgren wouldn’t trust him for 3rd and long plays. It was 3rd and long, hand to Mack Strong on a draw play. :sarcasm_on: the good old days. :sarcasm_off: The Seahawks paid him after losing Hutch to the Vikings. Bad investment at the time.
    Last edited by inda2o6 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    inda2o6
    NET Practice Squad

• I think his personality is polarizing, but I think 95% of us agree he's a special QB that is responsible for a large part of the Hawk's success.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• inda2o6 wrote:I would say Shaun Alexander. He didn’t run as hard unless they were in the red one or playing in primetime. Once he got his extension & Mack Strong retired. It was crap to watch. Holmgren wouldn’t trust him for 3rd and long plays. It was 3rd and long, hand to Mack Strong on a draw play. :sarcasm_on: the good old days. :sarcasm_off: The Seahawks paid him after losing Hutch to the Vikings. Bad investment at the time.

I thought about Alexander, but truthfully, by the end, there were very few hawk fans left supporting him after his stab in the back comment and his soft run out of bounds to avoid every possible hit style.

Alexander probably had the biggest fall from grace ever (sans Arod), which is tough in ever loving, always forgiving Seattle.
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

• I don't think RW is even close to the most polarizing player. We had Hass flame wars as I recall.

There are one or two who are quick to jump on when he doesn't play well, but the vast majority see him as a very good player who helped author the best years of the franchise.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran

• Shaun Alexander and Lofa Tatupu come to mind.

Russell Wilson should be the least polarizing player ever. Battles through injuries like a warrior. Spends his off-time at a children's hospital cheering up sick kids. Leads the league in TDs. Finishes every game as strong as any QB in football history. Never complains.
    hawknation2017
    NET Veteran

• His lows are very low and his highs are very high. That being said if he had a good OL and gameplan he'd be a monster.
    calinator
    NET Rookie

• Boz.
    enjoy the ride
    HomerJHawk
    NET Veteran

• Don't most fans evey where over react to quarterback performances?

When things are good and the numbers impressive they are placed on lofty pedestals and showered with excessive credit. But, when things come apart and numbers disappoint, they are knocked off those pedestals with a shower of blame.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Jville wrote:Don't most fans evey where over react to quarterback performances?

When things are good and the numbers impressive they are placed on lofty pedestals and showered with excessive credit. But, when things come apart and numbers disappoint, they are knocked off those pedestals with a shower of blame.

You could say this about owners, GM's, coaches and.............................wait for it..................offensive coordinators.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Jville wrote:Don't most fans evey where over react to quarterback performances?

You could say this about owners, GM's, coaches and.............................wait for it..................offensive coordinators.

Yes you could. Lots of examples around the league of that going on today.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Its just crazy.

Ppl in my family think he is good but not top 10.

Ppl I run into think same and got carried by lynch or defense.

Then some think he is perfect and its everyone else.

He is talked about a lot. I understand as he is a top QB but ppl arent usually in the middle.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• Russ is a future hall of famer. The end.
    "...and now they got a bicycle!"
    Sac
    NET Pro Bowler

• Smellyman wrote:Only to unsmart fans

And God know's--There's a butt-load of those mental midgets out there. :lol:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• This thread is too short...
    semiahmoo
    NET Veteran

• Jerremy Stevens
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

• I think Dave Kreig. I could ask 100 seahawks fans while he was playing and I honestly believe that 50% say he sucks and 50% would say he was a very good QB.
    Bevell's Bubble Busted
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

• Russ is awesome. The thing with Russell Wilson is that he would be polarizing if he was the night janitor at a McDonald's. He's just that type of person.
    In a cemetery full of Tomahawks.
    Givin’ middle fingers to the pigeons doing somersaults.
    hgwellz12
    NET Veteran

• bevellisthedevil wrote:I think Dave Kreig. I could ask 100 seahawks fans while he was playing and I honestly believe that 50% say he sucks and 50% would say he was a very good QB.

I think you might be right.
    hgwellz12
    NET Veteran

• hgwellz12 wrote:Russ is awesome. The thing with Russell Wilson is that he would be polarizing if he was the night janitor at a McDonald's. He's just that type of person.

Would they let him into the Childrens Hospital every Tuesday if he was the night janitor at Mcdonalds though?
    Bevell's Bubble Busted
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

• Russell doesn't come close to Boz, Stevens, Tate, Sherman, or Bennett in terms of controversy. The first two were already public pariahs when they arrived, and Tate went out for doughnuts the minute he hit town (rumor has it Lacy did, as well, but it didn't make the police report).
    "We have an opportunity to win multiple Super Bowls."
    -Russell Wilson
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

• Russ is about as far from polarizing as it gets for Hawks fans, unless by polarizing you are contrasting fans who love him with those who really like him.

At the same time, he is human. It's not hate to point out areas in which he could improve, and it isn't the result of an agenda from people who secretly hate him but just pretend to like him. If you're trying to look at how a complicated machine like an NFL offense can succeed and fail it's important to be honest about how the various parts are functioning and where breakdowns occur in specific situations. Being overly sensitive about this discussion is the real insult to Russ, because it assumes that he has hit an early cap on his growth and cannot improve further.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• Said it before, but at the NFL level Wilson is the most high variance very good QB I've ever seen in my life, and it's not really close.

All to say that because he's so, so, so high variance, those who really love him and think he's the most effective QB in the NFL are right some of the time, and those who are really frustrated by him and think he's just an average QB or worse are right some of the time too.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• I can't understand why any Seahawks fan, or football fan, wouldn't rate Wilson. He's an excellent QB but he's not perfect either and there's no point in dismissing those failings. I get all the frsutration about coaching but when you look at the numbers, his performance in the first half of games is poor and watching the footage, it's not just the playbook which is at fault, Wilson will miss simple throws far too often. They're too high, too low, in front or behind his target, so that does need sorting out because it did cost the team this season.

Wilson isn't the finished article yet and personally, there's no QB I'd take over him. I love the fact he's the Seahawks QB and he's only going to get better if he can avoid injury. I'm sure he, Carroll and everyone else realises that he has things to work on though so hopefully his 4th quarter dominance is still there next season but he can perform better in the first 3 quarters of games.
    BoltonWanderer
    NET Bench Warmer

• BoltonWanderer wrote:I can't understand why any Seahawks fan, or football fan, wouldn't rate Wilson. He's an excellent QB but he's not perfect either and there's no point in dismissing those failings. I get all the frsutration about coaching but when you look at the numbers, his performance in the first half of games is poor and watching the footage, it's not just the playbook which is at fault, Wilson will miss simple throws far too often. They're too high, too low, in front or behind his target, so that does need sorting out because it did cost the team this season.

Wilson isn't the finished article yet and personally, there's no QB I'd take over him. I love the fact he's the Seahawks QB and he's only going to get better if he can avoid injury. I'm sure he, Carroll and everyone else realises that he has things to work on though so hopefully his 4th quarter dominance is still there next season but he can perform better in the first 3 quarters of games.

No other player makes folk type like this.
    hgwellz12
    NET Veteran

• bevellisthedevil wrote:I think Dave Kreig. I could ask 100 seahawks fans while he was playing and I honestly believe that 50% say he sucks and 50% would say he was a very good QB.

That's because he was both those things, a wildly inconsistent QB.

Krieg would throw for 300 with 4 TD's, then the next game throw 4 picks and look like he had no business being on a football field.

I blame his tiny baby hands.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Threedee wrote:Russell doesn't come close to Boz, Stevens, Tate, Sherman, or Bennett in terms of controversy. The first two were already public pariahs when they arrived, and Tate went out for doughnuts the minute he hit town (rumor has it Lacy did, as well, but it didn't make the police report).

Who the hell liked Stevens?
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• It's people and their expectations and hopes that are polarizing. RW is just a guy who happens to be a really good playmaker at QB in football, most of the time. It's the aforementioned people who need to follow someone, make him the second coming of whichever payer or messiah and get let down and/or the other end of the spectrum entirely.

Football fans are an interesting breed. There's a lot of man worship and somehow entitlement at the same time. Also people who like to take their ball and go home when things don't work out like they want. There's gang mentality too. A lot of the time, sports fandom is really ugly and it's exacerbated by the fact that many never even played themselves and feel like they're experts or even think they're owed something for the simple reason of viewing it.

There are things that players like Sherman, Baldwin, LeSean McCoy, etc. have said that make me laugh and pisses off the average fan, but I'll just leave it..
    Last edited by vin.couve12 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• I think part of it is the belief there is an Anti-RW faction.

There was a faction that supported Lynch and a faction that supported RW. Not just fans, but players.

However, few were anti-RW.

I would point out my issues with him, that still exist, but it was more the understanding that moving to focus on winning with RW was going to destroy our system that worked, exhaust our defense and force us into a position that made us a worse offense with a less reliable defense.

That happened.

Lynch was hurt often but he played and he would have carried us to at least 1 more SB.

So driving Lynch off to push Wilson into the spotlight as THE GUY, was going to have consequences. It did.

Wilson is good, sometimes even great. But when Wilson was at his best, we squeaked into the playoffs because of a missed FG and were then shelled in the next game.

Wilson at his best cannot currently carry this team by himself past the wildcard round.

But sure enough, we traded Unger - brought in some shiny new weapons for Wilson, and promptly set records for futility on offense that had stood for decades before we broke them.

It isn't that Wilson is bad or even not great, but our team was built to work with certain pieces doing certain things. Without a RB to exhaust the opposing defense and keep our defense fresh, we saw a series of cascading failures.

Maybe in a different system with different coaches, Wilson could excel in the playoffs. But Aaron Rodgers is a stellar QB and isn't able to. Few QBs can do it alone. Wilson included.

If you point this out, you are 'anti-Wilson'.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• He's certainly the most underappreciated by a large portion of the fan base.
    Last edited by SoulfishHawk on Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    bevellisthedevil wrote:I think Dave Kreig. I could ask 100 seahawks fans while he was playing and I honestly believe that 50% say he sucks and 50% would say he was a very good QB.

That's because he was both those things, a wildly inconsistent QB.

Krieg would throw for 300 with 4 TD's, then the next game throw 4 picks and look like he had no business being on a football field.

I blame his tiny baby hands.

I remember differently..He would look like a HOF for 2- 3 games and absolutely suck for a game.
    Ask any fan back then "Do you like Krieg or Zorn"?I bet over 75% would have said Krieg.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• When he had a bad game we would call him KRAG. When he was on, man could he throw the ball. But when he was off, he was pretty bad. And fumbled more than anyone. He was a fun player to watch, and frustrating to say the least. But I liked Mudbone.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Next

It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:41 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information