What would you do this off-season? My thoughts...

calinator

Reaction score
It's definitely been a rough year despite a winning record as you see the team getting older but their is still a lot of talent on this team in their prime. I feel like with some changes they can still be a superbowl contender but i'm afraid ownership and Schneider wont make the tough decisions that need to be made(not tough in my book). I find it funny after games when people want to blame certain things or players for losses(like Walsh) they don't see the whole picture of the game and realize it was a team loss. Coaching, offense, defense(less so imo), and special teams are all to blame.

Here's a list of what i'd be some great GM or anything but just some thoughts i'd like to jot down.

Pete Carroll-Good coach but I think he's way too attached to certain people and too nice to say the hard things make and the right moves. Needs to be more strict with players, wayyy too many penalties and bonehead moves. He should stay UNLESS...

Bevell-Gotta go, should have been gone Feb 1st 2015. If Carroll can't cut ties with this clown Pete needs to go to. You play to win championships and I don't see that in this teams future with Bevell running the offense. Not even the hilarious failed bubble screens one after another. He knows the teams biggest weakness(OL) and fails to scheme plays to work around it. All he does is call long developing routes that are pointless and will fail with the OL not being able to hold long enough. I'm not sure if that's due to Russells height but still no excuse. Awful play caller.

Cable-This i'm actually not entirely sure on as the talent on the O-line is pretty awful. He had a great RB before with Marshawn but in those prime years I felt the run blocking was very good as opposed to now where I know Marshawn couldn't do anything. Unless you are Barry Sanders you need good run blocking. As far as pass blocking if he is indeed that horrible at coaching pass blocking he needs to go but they looked OKAY in Seattles best years.

Richard-He's not Dan Quinn but he's a decent young coach I think.

QB-Russ overall is good but he needs a new playbook. They need to get the ball out quick and he needs to make the tighter throws. This sandlot football has to go, I feel it's why the offense is non-existant in the first half and lights it up late. The defense can defend all the running around and long stuff early but late in the game are gassed from chasing RW so much.

RB-I like what i've seen from Mike Davis, he should get a chance to be the featured back. Rawls and Carson can compete too but Rawls needs to drink some more green tea and slow down lol.

WR-I like our receivers. Baldwin and Richardson have looked great and Lockett is good enough.

TE-Unless they bring a new OC in I don't think Graham should stay, and I honestly don't think he should stay anyway... He's super big and athletic but is soft/can't block and has questionable hands in key moments, not worth $10m a year. I've always liked Willson and I like what I've seen from Vannett outside of that fumble...

OL-Worst part of the team. I think Tackle is okay for now if Fant can come back from injury and I liked the Brown signing but he is getting older. Guard is so so bad, Ifedi needs to go if not for the fact he demoralizes the team and I don't think Joeckel is good either.

K-Walsh obviously needs to take the next flight and shouldn't have been signed in the first place but he should not be the scapegoat for our losses. I wanna know WTF Schneider was thinking. Did you not watch the 2016 divisional game???

DL-I like the talent at DT but i'm unsure about it too. Richardson and Reed are good but kinda disappear. DE is going to have to be a huge priority in the draft and FA with Avril and Bennett looking to be gone i'll miss them.

LB-One of the best parts of the team. KJ is great and Wagner is outta this world.

Secondary-I was pretty happy with how the team did this year. Kam might not come back and i'm not sure about keeping Lane either. Mcdougald, Coleman, Maxwell, and Griffin all filled in great and should be given starting spots.

Draft and FA needs: Guard and DE are huge holes. I'd like to see another DT and some more depth at receiver and TE.

Sorry for the long post I just had to get that off my chest... :|

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Imo the off season is already toast since all the coaches are staying. Doesn't matter who we add the scheme and mentality will be the same.

OP
OP
C

calinator

Reaction score
Cyrus12":3tq7er10 said:
Imo the off season is already toast since all the coaches are staying. Doesn't matter who we add the scheme and mentality will be the same.

Yep that's my biggest worry too. Coaching is the biggest problem right now. Bevell and Cable simply cannot stay or all is lost.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
If you don’t deal with (see get rid of) the 2 blackholes on this coaching staff that are killing this team, the rest is irrelevant.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Here's my $.02:

Coaches: Fire Bevell and Cable. Not sure who to get to replace them. Probably look at some college coordinators or pro QB coaches for OC. Any warm body would be better than Cable.

QB: Russ is terrific but he is getting happy feet in the pocket (for good reason) so I would focus on improving the OL. I'm fine with Austin Davis as the backup for now but would look at some late round prospects like Riley Ferguson, Trace McSorley or Quinton Flowers.

RB: I think Carson and Davis are both excellent and will both do well behind even a mediocre offensive line. Add Rawls and McKissick to the group and I'm good.

WR: Would love to see us add another playmaker here. I think we'll lose Richardson to FA so we need better depth behind Baldwin and Lockett. I like McEvoy if he can fix the dropsies that plagued him this year.

TE: I would cut Jimmy loose. The guy has been great in the red zone, no doubt. But that's been about it. I would look to the draft for new blood here to join Willson and Vannett.

OL: I would not draft anyone for the OL. We can't scout rookie talent here. Would cut Joeckel and Ifedi and look to FA to help. Fant might be able to join this group at RT but we need some guys with solid track records (i.e. Duane Brown type NOT Luke Joeckel type).

DL: Would cut Michael Bennett loose. His play was incredibly ineffective. Reed was disappointing overall but had his moments. I would go with Reed, Jefferson and Jordan on the interior and try to draft an edge rusher to fill Bennett's spot on the outside opposite Frank Clark.

LB: OLB would be a priority for me in the draft for the mid-rounds. KJ and Bobby are stalwart, and we play a lot of nickel so if we can get a S/LB/nickel guy who flies around making plays, that would be my ideal.

S: I think Kam is done. MacDougal had his moments but I would try to draft an impactful S here. I would keep Earl, even if he's expensive.

CB: I would cut Jeremy Lane. The guys coverage skills have left him. Would look for CB opportunities in the draft. I like Justin Coleman as the nickel guy, and a backup CB. I would keep Sherm for one more year till I was confident I have someone to backfill him.

K: Walsh would be gone. I would hold tryouts for his replacement.

P: Ryan had a bad year but has been good in the past. I would keep him till I know whether this year was a fluke.