Despite injuries / No running Game we're 11-5...

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
...If we simply had a reliable kicker.

Do you anti-Carrolls realize that?

11-5 despite injuries to many of our best players and despite having no running game. This was one of Pete's finest coaching jobs. It's not Carroll's fault that Walsh missed extremely makeable kicks. Yes - keeping an inconsistent kicker is on Pete, but better replacements weren't exactly falling off trees.

Pete hasn't forgotten how to coach. He's still excellent. That does not mean that we shouldn't blow a few things up, starting with Bevell. I wanted him gone after our last Super Bowl. But to axe the entire staff after an incredibly challenging season would be moronic - particularly when you have zero idea of whom would be a better replacement.

Seymour

Reaction score
So all what ifs = wins then?

Not possible to what if a loss?

That is great news! We should be able to "what if" an entire 16-0 season!

Off to the SB. :irishdrinkers:

sdog1981

Reaction score
You can use the same logic and the team is 7-9

mrt144

Reaction score
johnnyfever":aje8jhxn said:
sdog1981":aje8jhxn said:
You can use the same logic and the team is 7-9

Exactly. We won a few by the skin of our teeth.

Cooper Kupp's rookie paws gave us the win against the Rams - but lets only pencil in losses and wins and not vice versa...

Vpk0718

Reaction score
11-5 with an early playoff exit

This team even with a good kicker is not a contender

I want championships

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Maybe.

Somehow I believe that if we made those kicks, we probably score less TDs in the same game.

This team seems to not care about scoring unless it is the 4th quarter or they fall behind.

(That does mean if the defense gives up a score in the 4th we fall behind btw because we don't bother to build a cushion. For all the crap Richard takes, his defense does a remarkable job of slamming the door on the opponent again and again, but if he gives up a score in the 4th, even if after holding the other team scoreless for multiple possessions - the game is suddenly in jeopardy again. Problem is, the other team has professionals too. Eventually they are going to score and we give ourselves no leeway.)

Either way, it wouldn't have mattered. This is literally one of the worst offenses in the history of the NFL (note the # of records we have broken for futility), we would have gotten bounced in the wildcard or completely embarrassed in the next game after that anyway.

This offense makes us a wildcard team, if that. The kicker was an issue but not the biggest one. The biggest is why we are even letting it come down to the kicker anyway. Maybe playing to drain the clock down to go for the 48 yd field goal is a symptom of the problem in the first place, we play to keep from losing. Which loses a lot of games.

This is no longer a coaching staff of winners but a coaching staff scared of losing.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":3bv0zyzv said:
...If we simply had a reliable kicker.

Do you anti-Carrolls realize that?

11-5 despite injuries to many of our best players and despite having no running game. This was one of Pete's finest coaching jobs. It's not Carroll's fault that Walsh missed extremely makeable kicks. Yes - keeping an inconsistent kicker is on Pete, but better replacements weren't exactly falling off trees.

Pete hasn't forgotten how to coach. He's still excellent. That does not mean that we shouldn't blow a few things up, starting with Bevell. I wanted him gone after our last Super Bowl. But to axe the entire staff after an incredibly challenging season would be moronic - particularly when you have zero idea of whom would be a better replacement.

I have been thinking about this myself. As crappy as this season was (and it was crappy!), we EASILY could have had an outstanding record. 11-5 with a better kicker.

Add ridiculous and inexplicable defensive collapses against the Titans and the Jags. This Team could pretty easily have been 13-3. And it's blowing my mind that we were that close with the total dysfunction from the Offensive Coordinator and the Offensive Line (coaching and players).

Do I think this means we need some perspective wrt Pete? Yes. Do I think this also illustrates the maginitude of our lost opportunity? Hell YES!

And I place this lost opportunity squarely at the feet of Cable and Bevell. And if Pete can't replace these guys, he can go too.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Vpk0718":ukrgtrjb said:

I want championships

You'll eventually get used to the disappointment.

Only 1 in 32 gets one each year. The odds are bad, even with a stacked team and great coaching/philosophy. And there is only one Brady/Belichick combo in the world; you don't get that one.

Vpk0718

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":36f1t20l said:
Vpk0718":36f1t20l said:

I want championships

Only 1 in 32 gets one each year. The odds are bad, even with a stacked team and great coaching/philosophy. And there is only one Brady/Belichick combo in the world; you don't get that one.

You completely misunderstand me

WITH THE TALENT WE HAVE I want championships, not early playoff exits

With the talent we have had this decade, we should have won more than one championship. The odds should be way better than 1 in 32. But we're being held down by bad coaching.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Vpk0718":1ak40jd0 said:

With the talent we have had this decade, we should have won more than one championship. The odds should be way better than 1 in 32. But we're being held down by bad coaching.

So would you be content with two?

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Actually 12-4... vs. Wash, Atl, Az. But it doesnt matter that didnt happen.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Vpk0718":2rewnw6m said:
Ad Hawk":2rewnw6m said:
Vpk0718":2rewnw6m said:

I want championships

That "bad coaching" also selected and assembled the talent you point to. Other coaches may not be able to identify the same talents, nor give them a place to compete.

You cannot complain about the product on the field without also giving credit for the talent acquisition.

And I think you overestimate the level of talent, as if our assembled team THIS YEAR considering age, injuries, etc., was as good as you think. No, you seriously overestimated the potential.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2asy6s9r said:

NFSeahawks628's avatar. :2thumbs:

file.php

NJlargent

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2tlqk3e4 said:
Vpk0718":2tlqk3e4 said:
Ad Hawk":2tlqk3e4 said:
Vpk0718":2tlqk3e4 said:

I want championships

That "bad coaching" also selected and assembled the talent you point to. Other coaches may not be able to identify the same talents, nor give them a place to compete.

You cannot complain about the product on the field without also giving credit for the talent acquisition.

And I think you overestimate the level of talent, as if our assembled team THIS YEAR considering age, injuries, etc., was as good as you think. No, you seriously overestimated the potential.

Our talent selection has been awful since McCloughan left. And those lousy drafts since his departure have played a major role in why we have regressed to mediocrity.

hangumhi

Reaction score
No offense but this has to be the most ignorant original post ever. The Cardinals lost their pro bowl qb and pro bowl rb and still kicked our asses because of incompetent coaches. If you want to argue that we're never going to have injuries and they should be an excuse to lose then take up knitting and quit the NFL. This season has nothing to do with injuries or a kicker, it has everything to do with coaching. If cable and bevell can't adjust to injuries on offense, then how in the hell do you expect the defense to adjust, when our biggest losses occurred on the defensive side and somehow, they were able to adjust. If I'm missing a running game and missing pass blocking because most teams are blitzing or stacking the box, then I'm going to adjust my routes to short, dump routes, flares, screens, rubs etc. I saw two half back screens called all season and they worked darn well to both pick up yards and to back off the pressure on Wilson. Bevell is a damn fool. Stop pretending that he gets a pass because the kicker is no good.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":2d7sk2uc said:
Actually 12-4... vs. Wash, Atl, Az. But it doesnt matter that didnt happen.

This!

I wonder if the OP forgot the other game Walsh booted for the team to a LOSS.

Seymour

Reaction score