Your plan to replace sixteen touchdowns

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sixteen touchdowns are about to walk off this offense if Jimmy Graham and Paul Richardson sign elsewhere. Sixteen.

I'm kind of curious about what everyone's plan is to replace that. Seattle is going to need a plan to replace sixteen touchdowns. They're not just going to wave goodbye at them because they're pricey. Failing for cheaper is still failing.

Here are the constraints:

1) No free agents, because we dislike those. They're pricey, which is the Graham problem.

2) We're probably trading out of the first round, or close to it.

3) This is a blah draft for WR's and a worse draft for TE's.

The most obvious answer is, get a running game. That's fair. I agree with that. That'll bring us some touchdowns.

But it still means a receiving stable of Doug Baldwin, Tyler Lockett, Amara Darboh, C.J. Prosise, J.D. McKissic, Tanner McEvoy, David Moore, Luke Willson, and Nick Vannett. There's only one guy in that list who's really worthy of double coverage. That means boxes stacked against whatever RB we deploy and more pressure on the offensive line. The lack of a big, attention-demanding target downfield leaves the rest of the offense playing uphill. So I would not say the RB is the entire solution.

What are you guys' thoughts on how to replace the sixteen touchdowns of Graham and P-Rich? Because due to the nature of this draft combined with the effects of the Duane Brown trade, I'm thinking it's likely that a) one of the three above constraints has to go away or 2) Seattle is forced to keep one of them.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Macevoy moves to TE and sets the NFL record for drops...

We sign Justin Blackmon...if it doesn't work out at wr he is moved to kicker.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
My plan? It's not my job soooo

We were fine before Jimmy Graham and we'll be fine after.... I think.

I want to believe.

HawkerD

Reaction score
The only way the Hawks should retain Graham is if they change the offense to be more in line with his skills (i.e. push him out wide). If you don't to that then he isn't worth the TDs he provides because the offense fails overall.

PRich is simply not worth #2 WR money. Someone else will be in the line up and grab 42 catches and few touchdowns for about 10% of what PRich will get. Could be Darboh or Moore or some cheap over the hill FA.

The fact we had a single rushing TDs by a RB goes to the real issues of this team. Unable to even semi-control the LOS. If that doesn't get fixed then nothing else matters.

original poster

Reaction score
Moving C.J. Prosise to WR makes sense.

Less damage to his body and it’s exactly where he excels.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
HawkerD":32fayjda said:
The only way the Hawks should retain Graham is if they change the offense to be more in line with his skills (i.e. push him out wide). If you don't to that then he isn't worth the TDs he provides because the offense fails overall.

PRich is simply not worth #2 WR money. Someone else will be in the line up and grab 42 catches and few touchdowns for about 10% of what PRich will get. Could be Darboh or Moore or some cheap over the hill FA.

The fact we had a single rushing TDs by a RB goes to the real issues of this team. Unable to even semi-control the LOS. If that doesn't get fixed then nothing else matters.
Exactly, Graham leading the league in TD's almost didn't matter because we had no running game.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Doug will need some 2015 magic which means shifting back to that offensive style. They absolutely have to do this with the current roster or else it'll be another season of Russell running for his life with no one open, ESPECIALLY with Paul likely being a cap casualty and Darboh is his replacement. Getting the ball out quickly could hide some of the WR's inability to get separation.

I don't see either TE replacing Jimmy's isolation ability in the RZ, so they'll need to be schemed open. Teams do this pretty well with much lesser athletes than Jimmy, just means scrapping the red zone play book and getting creative.
Pete claims they've spoken to Jimmy about returning, though I don't see why he would want to given this teams desire to make him a blocking TE 50% of the time which he sucks at.

Carson seemed to be getting his groove before the nasty injury, so I have no idea how much that set him back. I don't think Mike Davis is really the answer even if he was the best we could put out there. Competition at the RB position is desperately needed, Rawls wasn't mentioned going forward so he's likely gone, as is Lacy. Barkley would be an awesome get but I doubt he falls to 18 and there's no way they have the ammunition to get him assuming he goes in top 10. Prosise has shown some promise for the 2 games a year he plays, so can't really say he's worth relying on. I don't know how they're going to get more worthy competition without putting some draft stock here.

hawk45

Reaction score
The free agent constraint has to go away for another OL, preferably RT since we know cable will never produce a tackle of any sort.

At that point having a running game will go a long way to diversifying our red zone offense and offense overall.

I don't know what we do for TE really and we will be pinning hopes on an untested WR3 but for years we did fine with very little out of Kearse at the position and without using Graham as much in the red zone so if we have a TE who can block I'm okay. How does vannett block?

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
original poster":16qcyemd said:
Moving C.J. Prosise to WR makes sense.

Less damage to his body and it’s exactly where he excels.
Who is C.J Prosise?

#FreeRoland

Fade

Reaction score
The running game has to be better by default, but probably only marginally.

So the answer is they probably won't. RW's numbers will get worse, and he will be blamed for it. Pete Carroll will be all sunshine & rainbows about it. The coaches will get to comeback, and do it all over again.

Same song and dance until Pete is fired.

Seymour

Reaction score
My plan is I don't need to worry about that until Cable and Bevell are gone because it just doesn't matter.

Gee, had you posted this last year when Graham had 2 in 2015 then 6 in 2016 I wonder what the response would be?

No I don't.

randomation

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2jz0vzzm said:
Macevoy moves to TE and sets the NFL record for drops...

We sign Justin Blackmon...if it doesn't work out at wr he is moved to kicker.

I actually like Tanner to TE even if I think he should have been kept at safety from the start.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
No way McEvoy is on the team next year. He's a poor WR and even worse on special teams. He brings nothing to the table.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Do whatever we can to get a solid LG. Good blocking TE that doesn't drop the ball. Get a FB back into our offense, preferably one who can block and catch.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Why are we letting go of PRich? I think I understand about Graham, but we need an X receiver.

Steve2222

Reaction score
This is stupid. We replace those two with the next man up. Paul Richardson is like the 40th best WR in the NFL. And even that is probably being generous.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":2vfhbf0k said:
HawkerD":2vfhbf0k said:

Exactly, Graham leading the league in TD's almost didn't matter because we had no running game.

That's in the same vein as saying Russell Wilson's efforts didn't matter because we had no running game. Wilson is the only reason we got as far as we did.

And Graham was ten of his touchdowns. Without those, we're a 6-10 team, and we beat the 49ers, Eagles, and Cowboys by one-score margins instead of two. That was with no running game and iffy pass pro for Wilson. What could he have done with more talent on offense? It is mind-boggling how hard people are undervaluing ten touchdowns.

Surely you're not suggesting we just shrug and accept 6-10 because Graham's production doesn't satisfy some abstract value assessment. There has to be a plan.