OL personnel going into next year not that bad?

adeltaY

Reaction score
Maybe I'm crazy.

LT - Duane Brown is a pro bowl guy. No idea why he he started playing worse after the Jags game. I choose to believe more work with Russ and he'll understand how to block better for his QB's unique style

LG - Roos/Pocic/? shouldn't be terrible. Lots of lines have rookies or marginal players on them and are okay.

C - Britt was a probowl alternate but got worse this year. He showed he had top tier potential so hopefully he gets back to form.

RG - Ifedi/Pocic/Roos/? again lots of lines have meh players on them and are okay. My hope is that Pocic gets stronger and locks down one of these guard positions.

RT - Fant/Ifedi. If Fant heals up and the improvements are real, he could work well here. If Ifedi calms down he can be good.

I guess my point is that there aren't many if any lines where every player is good to great. Maybe the Eagles OL before Peters got hurt. Even the elite lines have weaknesses, but they work around em. The Falcons had the best offense last year and their RG was pretty bad. Raiders RT has been bad the past couple seasons and they still pass blocked very well.

I don't think personnel is an excuse for this line being atrocious going forward.

Seafan

Reaction score
If Fant and Brown can stabilize the tackle positions and Pocic can beef up in the weight room the group has potential to be average.

sutz

Reaction score
I know that replacing 3-4 guys every year on the O-line hasn't been working very well.

MO Hawk

Reaction score
You could have the best in the NFL and Tom Cable will screw it up. So depressed that it appears he will be back.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Good assessment. The personnel really isn't that bad. It's how they're being coached up that's the problem. Mostly, I'm looking forward to Fant's return and seeing more of Creature Man.

Seymour

Reaction score
MO Hawk":2hgh5edp said:
You could have the best in the NFL and Tom Cable will screw it up. So depressed that it appears he will be back.

This.

I'm not even close to ready to call that very same oline "not bad" after what they put on display as a unit.

Hoping for improvement through osmosis has proven to fail in the past.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
sutz":3d5xbqye said:
I know that replacing 3-4 guys every year on the O-line hasn't been working very well.

Agreed. At some point we have to stop the musical chairs and start fostering continuity for continuity's sake.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Many assume Fant would have been decent had he played TY. Not so fast. We have no way of knowing whether he'd have been improved over LY, the same or worse. I keep hearing "If only Fant handn't been hurt.". IMO, that's wishful thinking without much basis.
IMO Brown is the ONLY decent lineman right now. With a different OL coach the others may improve but right now, we're stretching it to call any of the others mediocre.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":1jb03x82 said:
.net: "Cable is a moron!"

Also .net: "Fant will save us!"

I don't believe he will save us, but I'm interested to see what he offers.

chris98251

Reaction score
Ifedi is playing plain scared most the time, he doesn't have confidence and tries to get ahead start on counts due to slow feet and lunges to block because he is slow. That and he seems to blow his assignment a lot on stunts.

He must get owned all practice by our guys, you would think it would help but he doesn't seem to have that kind of mental make up and instead gets angry and makes worse mistakes.

naholmes

Reaction score
TreeRon":2h7kyhby said:
Many assume Fant would have been decent had he played TY. Not so fast. We have no way of knowing whether he'd have been improved over LY, the same or worse. I keep hearing "If only Fant handn't been hurt.". IMO, that's wishful thinking without much basis.
IMO Brown is the ONLY decent lineman right now. With a different OL coach the others may improve but right now, we're stretching it to call any of the others mediocre.

Brown and Britt should be solid. Ifedi, Fant and Pocic are promising but so was Gilliam at one point. They definitely need to keep adding talent. Brown is 32 and up for a contract so no time to get complacent. It’s looking better than years past but that’s not saying much.

sutz

Reaction score
naholmes":2vswfl85 said:
TreeRon":2vswfl85 said:

Brown and Britt should be solid. Ifedi, Fant and Pocic are promising but so was Gilliam at one point. They definitely need to keep adding talent. Brown is 32 and up for a contract so no time to get complacent. It’s looking better than years past but that’s not saying much.
Though I said I don't like the constant game of musical chairs on the OL, I do believe in keeping the chain moving and drafting at least one OL every draft, not to mention bringing in FAs as they become available. The FO has actually been doing this IIRC.

chris98251

Reaction score
sutz":1tcug7o1 said:
naholmes":1tcug7o1 said:
TreeRon":1tcug7o1 said:

Though I said I don't like the constant game of musical chairs on the OL, I do believe in keeping the chain moving and drafting at least one OL every draft, not to mention bringing in FAs as they become available. The FO has actually been doing this IIRC.

For depth it may work to a degree but were trying to do it for starters.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
How quickly we forget. These guys are bad at what they do. The same coach is coming back. We will see the same results.

Seymour

Reaction score
TreeRon":pcz1mjoc said:

Sadly I'm going to have to agree. All the Fant hype came from our coaches. The very same coaches that called Joekel one of the best guards in the league. Now they are releasing "the best guard"? The same coaches that 1 said ifedi was a tackle and the other said he was a guard. That was our first pick and they did not even agree on a position before drafting. The very same coaches that took 3 position changes to find a spot Britt could actually play. The very same coaches that thought Sowell and Webb were good prospects even though film said otherwise. On and on....

Ya...I trust the Fant assessment like I do a used car salesman. I can tell he is lying because his lips are moving. And I like Fant and really want him to succeed, but this is a show me situation with any new lineman under Tom Cable.

chris98251

Reaction score
What Wilson see's when he goes on the field.

Stock photo revolving doors 428475814

And we wonder why he has happy feet.

mrt144

Reaction score
Seymour":lm1mgvr3 said:
TreeRon":lm1mgvr3 said:

Sadly I'm going to have to agree. All the Fant hype came from our coaches. The very same coaches that called Joekel one of the best guards in the league. Now they are releasing "the best guard"? The same coaches that 1 said ifedi was a tackle and the other said he was a guard. That was our first pick and they did not even agree on a position before drafting. The very same coaches that took 3 position changes to find a spot Britt could actually play. The very same coaches that thought Sowell and Webb were good prospects even though film said otherwise. On and on....

Ya...I trust the Fant assessment like I do a used car salesman. I can tell he is lying because his lips are moving. And I like Fant and really want him to succeed, but this is a show me situation with any new lineman under Tom Cable.

The thing that sucks is that I am receptive to the idea that it takes time but am so thirsty for improvement I don't have any patience for time. Especially after being verbally defrauded by Cable.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Lots of "Know-It-Alls" in here have already shut the book on KNOWLEDGE.
I don't pretend to have all the answers, but there are a bunch in here like to PRETEND they do.
We were ONE SHITTY KICKER away from the playoffs.
ZERO Continuity.....Brown wasn't going to INSTANTLY fix the O-Line woes, and battle hardened Pro-Bowl Defenders weren't going to let them have the time to figure it out either....These aren't excuses, these are the FACTS.

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":3lxny332 said:
What Wilson see's when he goes on the field.

Stock photo revolving doors 428475814

And we wonder why he has happy feet.

LMAO. :2thumbs:

Agree, but I've been harping that since last year. We are ruining our FIRST ever franchise QB and are having to watch it week by week for over 2 years now (really Russ's entire career if you look at ave pass protect rankings).

First most primary human instinct is survival. Of course he is going to run to keep alive and Carroll says it's part of their game. Now he getting run down for 23 yard losses and missing targets because the DC factor is working it's way in IMO. We are running out of time with this shit. :(