Tell me what Im missing about Shaq Griffin.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Is it just me or am I the only person that hasnt been super impressed by this guy? I get that he is a rookie and am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt but many seem to be talking about him being future all pro as a done deal. I look at the other rookie DBs around the league and I dont feel he's impacted anywhere near as much as some of those.

Looking back on games I've seen a few mistakes alongside play that to me he should be making, I've not seen anything outstanding if you see what i mean. Happy to be torn to shreds and proved wrong but I'm not seeing it so far.

Edit: The other reason I ask is that on nfl.com they did a list on the top 25 rookies and Shaq wasnt even an honorable mention. So I wonder if Seahawk fans have their neon green LOB glasses on regarding this kid.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Another season of experience and he'll go from good to badass.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
PFF player grades show that his season was rated as average. I can understand why you are reserved in your judgement. What I saw was improvement each week. I saw that when the game slows down for him next year he could be really good. Most of the issues he had werent due to physical limitations and his technique got better over the season. I am positive on his future and think we found a 3rd round gem that shows he will learn from Sherm and Earl already.

original poster

Reaction score
I think it’s a case of realistic expectations.

Sure other rookie CB’s have performed better, but the majority of those were 1st and 2nd round talents. Obviously Shaq was a 3rd rounder.

With a whole off season and training camp he has the potential to be very good.

Seymour

Reaction score
I agree he may ultimately have performed near "average". But one thing you will see is very often the guy is right there on the ball very close to making the DP. That and given the many DB's that we've brought in and tried, I think elevates his level of hope he will be a good one.
There are several great DB's that came out with him this year, so not making that top 25 is no surprise given the entire draft.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
He struggled badly against some of our QB's and gave up some key plays. But every non-Sherman QB is going to give up a few plays.

The biggest impact of a good corner is the opposing QB standing in the pocket and not throwing. We actually had quite a bit of that this year and helped defend the pass well. Griffin's season was average, but for a rookie facing a tough schedule, that's not horrible. He's promising.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I thought before Sherman went down Griffin was just kinda hanging on for dear life, which is understandable for a rookie CB.

But I was impressed with how he elevated his game to be essentially our #1 corner after Sherman was hurt. The wheels could have REALLY fallen off our defensive backfield if Griffin didn't step up and play much better after Sherman went down.

Do I think he's the next Sherman? No, but Griffin should be a very good CB in this league if he continues to work hard at it.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
I didn't see anything suggesting future All Pro. I have heard talk about Pro Bowl potential. All Pro is the best of the Pro Bowl players and is voted on by the players themselves, and isn't the popularity contest that Pro Bowl voting is.

In my view, ws a rookie, he got picked on - as he was the other side from Sherman and held up really well. Certainly wasn't the liability a first year player can/should be. I think he's got incredible potential.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Pretty good for a rookie imo. Plenty to improve on and I suspect he will. Also, once Sherm went down, his job got a lot harder.

RussB

Reaction score
Hes solid. Hes not on the level of Lattimore or Tredavious White, but maybe he can get there with time. I also am not super impressed by him but he looked promising. He seemed inconsistent to me, some plays he was locking guys down and looking like an all pro CB. Then other plays hes getting shredded . He has potential though.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3f9qycx6 said:
Pretty good for a rookie imo. Plenty to improve on and I suspect he will. Also, once Sherm went down, his job got a lot harder.

I would consider that after Sherm went down, Shaqs job got a lot easier. The opposing qb had more targets available on the whole field of play. He did not just have one area to work with. Lane and Shead did ok, but there was still a lot of room to work with.

Also, Shaq got a lot closer to his intended target as he learned after 10 games or so that he had the capability to do so. The learning curve was in effect and his knowledge of what he could do made him better. As said here above, after training camp and a few games, he should be above average to better than that this season.

London12

Reaction score
I'm with you on this. He was really inconsistent, because he was a rookie. Didn't see much to rave about yet, just competent with potential to be good.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Shaq didn't overly impress me this rookie year but he was as solid as they come.

He didn't get abused much.

There were plays to be made but with time he'll get better.

Hopefully, he'll be a pro bowl caliber player, but currently he is a "nice" player.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
London12":3mqkdfy7 said:
I'm with you on this. He was really inconsistent, because he was a rookie. Didn't see much to rave about yet, just competent with potential to be good.

I disagree that Shaq was inconsistent.

He wasn't a ball hawk making plays and interceptions, but he was about as consistent as a rookie can be. Good technique, good positioning, good hands, good breaks on the ball. All consistently good.

Just not GREAT yet.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Given the history of the Seahawks and cornerbacks, I think the fact that he didn't horribly suck is a huge improvement over what most of us were expecting. At least he has a neck that allows his head to turn before a ball gets to the receiver, for the most part.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I'm still upset he gave up that pass to Josh Docson at the end of the Redskins game.

Other than that, I thought he performed well for a third round rookie.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jerhawk":3qlc9gy4 said:
I'm still upset he gave up that pass to Josh Docson at the end of the Redskins game.

Other than that, I thought he performed well for a third round rookie.

The pass was perfect, hard to fault Griffin.

Unfortunately Cousins decided to turn into Joe Montana at the end of that game, then turn back into Kirk Cousins for the rest of the season after.

IrishNW

Reaction score
Shaq Grffin is that nerdy girl in high school that got really hot in college. Shes doesn't know how hot she actually is and shes still building her confidence.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think he performed really well given the situation, Sherman was hurt from the Rams game and Earl was shading a lot more, Shaq had to learn to play up and support the run which he did great as the season progressed as well as cover deep, which he did well, every CB gets beat at times and he seemed to recover well when that happened. What he needs to work on is reading the receiver and when the ball is going to arrive and get his head around to make a pick, it also will help with penalties in the future since he will have the benefit of contending for the ball.