Rate our Tight Ends from this past seasom

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Jimmy is a true #1. Even with below blocking. He is a big body who knows how to box out and win the 1on1s. He is a redzone nightmare for defenses. It was finally shown this year. He did have the drops this year at times and idk how much was focus or what. The main point is how much he improved the red zone with a horrible run game especially in the red zone. If he wasn't here, our red zone would of been last.

Why? No run game. Our wide receivers are small and lack of space.

Luke Wilson is a average TE and a great backup. He has very good speed and is a good blocker. His hands leave him at times and isn't a jimmy. As much as people want him to be. He isn't a red zone threat in my books. That could change but I wouldn't bet my $ that he ever is a jimmy or gronk.

Nick V did well at times this yr but also had a key drop or two. He looks to have good blocking and good size. Again for me he wasn't out there enough for a fair assessment.

Your thoughts?

mistaowen

Reaction score
TE were collectively terrible at blocking and on a team that requires your TE's to block, thats a huge problem. Either change the scheme so WR type TE's can work in this offense or get rid of them all and look for Zach Miller types. Makes no sense why they traded for a playmaking TE like Jimmy who sucks at blocking and tried to force him into being an inline blocker.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
My assessment is that you flush the TE's and reload outside of Vannett. I think that guy can block and we know that he can make plays against LB's in coverage.

Wilson just doesn't have the sand in his pants to block well enough. Oh he's fast, and can catch, but we need much better blocking from our TE's. Is Mike B's brother available?

AgentDib

Reaction score
Willson and Vannett were passable, hard to say what we would have seen with more reps from them. I think they could be an okay duo next season.

It was looking like Graham and Wilson were gaining some chemistry a few weeks ago, but Graham finished the season about as poorly as possible. That overshadows the rest of the year and I can't think many fans want to see us pay him $10 million next season to get out-hustled to the ball by DBs and make half-hearted attempts to block in the running game.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Have to disagree with Wilson being a good blocker. He is no better than Graham. In this offense, if you cannot block you are essential worthless. We are almost better off just putting another tackle (despite how awful they are) in that positon.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Frankly they poorly used, Graham seemed to be only motivated to play physically tough inside the red zone and otherwise had alligator arms or the drops. His yardage total was evidence of how weak/softhe was on the field between the 20’s Bevell still can’t figure out how to use him except in the read zone where he posts up against DBs and eats their lunch.

Willson should have been used more,had a few ,oments of solid play but was mostly untargetted, which was a mistake but the TE plays are all the same so they rarely get called. He was a good blocker and used that way and a a Hback. I think if the team doesn’t keep Graham this offseason they need to keep Willson the TEs all need more touches.

Vannett is an acceptably good blocker and an acceptably good pass catcher, but really we don’t know how tough he is b/c he saw the field so few plays. I think he’s going to develop into a solid conventional TE.

chris98251

Reaction score
Graham made his money in the seam, we rarely and hardly every throw a pass there.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
I agree with others on Vannett and Willson. Jimmy ate up so much of the playing time that it clouded accurate readings for grades on them. However;

My stance on Vannett hasn't changed. He's the TE of the future here. I know his body of work is small, but he wasn't drafted in the 3rd round to not contribute. He's athletic, quick, and has soft hands. His catching motion looks really fluid, especially compared to Luke's who's looks stiff and sort of robotic. He was known as a balanced TE coming out of Ohio St, and that seems accurate. His blocking isn't too bad. He absolutely needs more playing time.

Luke is a good backup TE. His blocking is average, his hands are slightly above average. One thing I noticed is he seems like a natural lined up at FB. I know, I know, weird. But in the handful of plays where he was in there, he made some strong, key blocks. I'd like to see him used how Cincinnati used Ryan Hewitt a few years back. I hope they sign him to a reasonable deal.

Jimmy had a good year. He finally, FINALLY scored the TDs he should've been all along. The sad thing is that's pretty much all he did. He wasn't used much in between the 20’s, and he dealt with bad drops all year. I hope they don't re-sign him.