Trade Britt?

getnasty

Reaction score
Now hear me out. Britt was average at best this year, the team needs cap space, seems like Poicic's best position is center and we need draft picks. Obviously just a hypothetical and would be a big roll of the dice with all the problems the OL already has. Go ahead and let me have it.

adeltaY

Reaction score
We just extended him, I doubt we trade him. I like your thinking but weigh that against the continuity we will lose and the talent Britt has shown he has and IMO it isn't worth it.

Also, all these moves and who are we spending the money on?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Not sure what kind of trade value there would be for a center who had a down year and is under contract to average 9M a year for the next three years.

Plus our line already needs to be upgraded in 3 of the 5 spots, so I'm not really down with ALSO having to find another center. Unless you want Pocic to move to center, and then you're downgrading the position even further for another year or two.

IMO continuity is the main reason our line has stunk the last 3-4 years. Overpaid or not, Britt is not the issue, so I'd rather keep him so we can focus on improving the RT and guard positions.

OP
OP
G

getnasty

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2lqeq7dc said:
Not sure what kind of trade value there would be for a center who had a down year and is under contract to average 9M a year for the next three years.

Plus our line already needs to be upgraded in 3 of the 5 spots, so I'm not really down with ALSO having to find another center. Unless you want Pocic to move to center, and then you're downgrading the position even further for another year or two.

IMO continuity is the main reason our line has stunk the last 3-4 years. Overpaid or not, Britt is not the issue, so I'd rather keep him so we can focus on improving the RT and guard positions.

I don't think we'd get anything more then a 4th round pick and ovbiouly you only make the move if you think Pocic can be a lateral move at worst at Center.

Seymour

Reaction score
Somehow his contract never sunk in with me. Must be I was so happy they signed 1 at least?

But damn....$9M for friggin Britt but you won't pay $1.1M to Jahri Evans??

sFun_banghead.gif~c200

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Really? Trade Everyone!!

Dead money would be nasty, not sure it would even save cap space to ship him out. Also knowing his salary and your eval is that he is just OK, who would trade for that combo?

Britt regressed, but this is premature - as is anointing pocic.

original poster

Reaction score
Trading him takes $2.5M OFF the cap. He's one of the safest players on the team from a cap perspective!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":3q40tcpv said:
Really? Trade Everyone!!

Dead money would be nasty, not sure it would even save cap space to ship him out. Also knowing his salary and your eval is that he is just OK, who would trade for that combo?

If you trade him, there is no dead money. Only cutting results in dead money hits. New team assumes contract.

Anyway, bad idea. Very little draft pick return, and you make our line once again weaker.

original poster

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":gkkgvxfq said:
Coug_Hawk08":gkkgvxfq said:
Really? Trade Everyone!!

If you trade him, there is no dead money. Only cutting results in dead money hits. New team assumes contract.

Anyway, bad idea. Very little draft pick return, and you make our line once again weaker.

Most of the time, that is correct, but not in the case of the Britt contract.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
original poster":3ra1pq0f said:
Sgt. Largent":3ra1pq0f said:
Coug_Hawk08":3ra1pq0f said:
Really? Trade Everyone!!

How so?

adeltaY

Reaction score
Trading can absolutely result in dead money. I think we're on the hook for his signing bonus no matter what but I might be wrong.

original poster

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2affxmc9 said:
original poster":2affxmc9 said:
Sgt. Largent":2affxmc9 said:
Coug_Hawk08":2affxmc9 said:
Really? Trade Everyone!!

How so?

It's down to how the contract money was split.

If he was traded they'd lose his dead money ($8.75M) AND a further $2,583,334 would come off the books.

Exactly the same thing would happen with Germain Ifedi, Malik McDowell and Ethan Pocic as well.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
original poster":1745vlnb said:
Sgt. Largent":1745vlnb said:
original poster":1745vlnb said:
Sgt. Largent":1745vlnb said:

How so?

It's down to how the contract money was split.

If he was traded they'd lose his dead money ($8.75M) AND a further $2,583,334 would come off the books.

Exactly the same thing would happen with Germain Ifedi, Malik McDowell and Ethan Pocic as well.

Then we definitely won't be trading Britt.

Only players I see Pete and John dangling out to see if they can get a good trade deal on are;

- Thomas
- Sherman
- Bennett
- Wagner
- KJ

In the case of Sherman and Bennett, I'm not sure there's any trade value due to injuries. If teams weren't willing to give up a 1st or more for Sherman last year, they're sure not going to this year coming off a ruptured achilles.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
How about we wait for free agency....graham signs with another team and then we trade Britt to that team along with the #18 pick...for Graham...

original poster

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":101atmgp said:
How about we wait for free agency....graham signs with another team and then we trade Britt to that team along with the #18 pick...for Graham...

You're sick ;)

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
The lines horrible. We cant afford the get rid of even average players at this point.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I believe Britt is in the first year of his extension, so we'd basically be eating his signing bonus for whatever pick we got for him. Doesn't make any sense to trade him at this point. Besides his total cap hit isn't that bad this year. It's the final year (2020) that we may want to have a replacement as his cap hit and base salary both balloon up.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I looked a bit into his contract and according to Overthecap, he's due a roster bonus on the 5th day of the league year. We can opt out of that bonus, but it would just move into his base salary for 2018. If I'm reading that correctly, then the team would opt to not keep it as a bonus as that's pro rated and wouldn't move over with the trade and go on our books. Assuming they do opt to keep it, then you can be 100% assured he isn't going anywhere.