2018 Cap Position

original poster

Reaction score
I thought everyone would find it beneficial to see a breakdown of each player under contract for 2018 along with their salary cap and dead money/cap savings if they were to be cut. I’ll also add the 2018 free agents as well so there’s no confusion about who is under contract next year and who isn’t.

Let’s start with the players under contract for 2018 along with their cap number, dead money if cut (pre 1st June) and cap savings if cut (pre 1st June).

I’m going to start with the biggest cap hits and work down the list -

Player-------------------Cap hit-----------Dead money---------Cap savings

Russell Wilson-------$23.78M---------$16,57M---------------$7,21M
Bobby Wagner-------$13.6M-----------$5.2M------------------$8.4M
Richard Sherman---$13.2M-----------$2.2M------------------$11M
Doug Baldwin--------$11.9M-----------$9.43M----------------$2.46M
Earl Thomas---------$10.4M-----------$1.9M------------------$8.5M
Kam Chancellor-----$9.8M-------------$7.5M-----------------$2.3M
Duane Brown--------$9.75M-----------$0-----------------------$9.75M
K.J Wright------------$8.2M-------------$1M--------------------$7.2M
Cliff Avril--------------$8M----------------$500K-----------------$7.5M
Jeremy Lane---------$7.25M-----------$2.5M-----------------$4.75M
Michael Bennett----$7.23M-----------$5.21M----------------$2.02M
Justin Britt------------$6.16M-----------$8.75M----------------$0
Jon Ryan-------------$3.2M-------------$1.2M------------------$2M
Germain Ifedi--------$2.25M-----------$3.3M------------------$0
Neiko Thorpe--------$2.15M-----------$300K-----------------$1.8M
Malik McDowell-----$1.58M-----------$3.65M----------------$0
Jarran Reed---------$1.33M-----------$878K------------------$455K
Frank Clark----------$1.18M-----------$243K------------------$943K
Tyler Lockett--------$1.01M------------$196K-----------------$822K
Ethan Pocic---------$1M----------------$1.6M------------------$0
C.J Prosise----------$833K-------------$346K------------------$486K
Nick Vannett---------$816K------------$328K------------------$487K
Rees Odhiambo----$805K------------$322K------------------$482K
Shaq Griffin----------$777K------------$568K------------------$208K
Delano Hill-----------$769K------------$545K------------------$224K
Amara Darboh------$754K------------$529K------------------$224K
Naz Jones-----------$754K------------$529K------------------$224K
Tedric Thompson--$723K------------$504K------------------$218K
DJ Alexander-------$714K------------$0-----------------------$714K
George Fant--------$636K------------$6K---------------------$630K
DeAndre Elliott-----$633K------------$3K---------------------$630K
Tanner McEvoy----$630K------------$0-----------------------$630K
Tre Madden---------$630K------------$0-----------------------$630K
Chris Carson-------$571K-------------$48K--------------------$522K
Jordan Roos-------$561K-------------$13K--------------------$548K
David Moore-------$555K-------------$0K----------------------$555K
Mike Tyson---------$555K-------------$0------------------------$555K

The above should allow you to work out exactly who could be possible cap casualties and who doesn’t really make sense to cut due to large amounts of dead money.

Currently the exact cap number for Seattle in 2018 sits at $19,414,950.

Here are the 2018 free agents list -

Jimmy Graham
Luke Joeckel
Eddie Lacy
Luke Willson
Paul Richardson
Oday Aboushi
Matt Tobin
Austin Davis
Sheldon Richardson
Bradley McDougald
Michael Wilhoite
DeShawn Shead
Marcus Smith
Terence Garvin
Blair Walsh

Happy to answer any cap/contract questions and ask feel free to make posts about certain cap casualties etc, try and include the adjusted cap number in your posts so everyone can see what cutting player X, Y and Z looks like.

:2thumbs:

chris98251

Reaction score
You have to add in these guys and what it would take to sign or offer them also, parsing half the picture doesn't work.

Restricted Free Agents (5)

Dewey McDonald - Is a special teams guy if I remember if can be had cheap re offer

Dion Jordan - Offer he is a first rounder that made a comeback and played well, Avrils replacement

Justin Coleman - Much better then Lane and Cheaper, get him signed.

Mike Davis - Has to be a resign we don't have a better depth guy playing behind Carson if he comes back in form.

Thomas Rawls - Like to see him back with a FB lead blocking for him.

This season's tender numbers are:
A tender is an offer of a one year contract for a specific amount that is predetermined and uniform across the league. The three different tender levels are First Round tender ($3.91M for 2017; likely $4.1M - $4.25M for 2018), Second Round Tender ($2.746 million for 2017; likely $2.85M - $2.95M for 2018) and original round tender ($1.797M for the 2017; likely $1.9M - $2.0M for 2018).

Exclusive Rights Free Agents (13)

Josh Forrest - Who/ was in injured reserve not a priority

Joey Hunt - Obviously has a purpose, if Pocic is a Guard do we keep him or find a Guard that can play and cut Hunt.

Branden Jackson - Played well and is part of the Rotation, offer, should not be to spendy.

Paul Dawson - Another who, I would wait till our priority's are signed

Quinton Jefferson - We have a lot invested and he finally started to pay dividends end of the season, offer.

Garrison Smith - Filled a need and kept Richardson fresh, offer

Tyler Ott - Offer, we went thru t5he replace the snapper not long ago and know the results.

J.D. McKissic - This is a guy I would keep over Prosise as a RB 3rd down guy, played lights out when given a chance

Tyrone Swoopes - Showed something, yes a project but can catch and block and with attitude, could be a help at TE.

Tyrus Thompson - Another O line project, we have plenty of them not a priority.

Christian French - Another project in development, would not worry about him till we get our needs filled.

Jordan Simone - Guy has the body and looked good but is Prosise in a DB body.

Akeem King - Another guys that has camped on the Injured list, has the body but can't stay healthy a wait till needs over guy.

With what you added.

Player-------------------Cap hit-----------Dead money---------Cap savings

Russell Wilson-------$23.78M---------$16,57M---------------$7,21M - Keep of course

Bobby Wagner-------$13.6M-----------$5.2M------------------$8.4M - Keep of course

Richard Sherman---$13.2M-----------$2.2M------------------$11M I am on of the mind get healthy and see if we can move him,

Doug Baldwin--------$11.9M-----------$9.43M----------------$2.46M - Keep of course

Earl Thomas---------$10.4M-----------$1.9M------------------$8.5M Might be time, McDougald played ok in his place, we can recover picks in a trade, can't move them all but he is not happy no matter his later response, if Kam and Sherman leave for some reason I don't see a Happy Earl at all.

Kam Chancellor-----$9.8M-------------$7.5M-----------------$2.3M - Injury settlement, not sure how much relief that will get us right away but next year defiantly a help.

Duane Brown--------$9.75M-----------$0-----------------------$9.75M - Maybe renegotiate a longer deal.

K.J Wright------------$8.2M-------------$1M--------------------$7.2M - I don't see him renegotiating his contract at this point yet

Cliff Avril--------------$8M----------------$500K-----------------$7.5M - Injury settlement

Jeremy Lane---------$7.25M-----------$2.5M-----------------$4.75M - If we can resign Coleman try the trade route again.

Michael Bennett----$7.23M-----------$5.21M----------------$2.02M - Get him healthy, without distractions and Avril he is a need and can still play.

Justin Britt------------$6.16M-----------$8.75M----------------$0 - One of three guys I have no problem keeping on the O line

Jon Ryan-------------$3.2M-------------$1.2M------------------$2M - He is going to be the most important guy in the locker room next season for filed position till we see how were re tooled.

Germain Ifedi--------$2.25M-----------$3.3M------------------$0 - If I had a wood chipper or a Power run blocking scheme, we are not cutting a 1st rounder this soon.

Neiko Thorpe--------$2.15M-----------$300K-----------------$1.8M - With Maxwell here if we resign I don't think his value is that high.

Malik McDowell-----$1.58M-----------$3.65M----------------$0 - We have no choice but wait and see, if he can't go day one of OTA's then we eat some dead money, I don't even think we have to settle for injury since it was not football related. He will have had over a year to recover and if he can't by the time were in drills chances are he won't ever.

Jarran Reed---------$1.33M-----------$878K------------------$455K - Keeper

Frank Clark----------$1.18M-----------$243K------------------$943K - Are you kidding he will be getting a raise soon.

Tyler Lockett--------$1.01M------------$196K-----------------$822K - Keeper

Ethan Pocic---------$1M----------------$1.6M------------------$0 - Keeper, he will have a NFL body next year.

C.J Prosise----------$833K-------------$346K------------------$486K - Move to WR and see if he can be a possession guy like Tate.

Nick Vannett---------$816K------------$328K------------------$487K - Give him a chance

Rees Odhiambo----$805K------------$322K------------------$482K - Let him play Guard, I know he is primarily a left side guy, if he can't adjust cut him, with Brown and Fant we don't have the luxury of a sometime LT.

Shaq Griffin----------$777K------------$568K------------------$208K - Bargain right now

Delano Hill-----------$769K------------$545K------------------$224K - Can he step up for Kam or take the position from McDougald ?

Amara Darboh------$754K------------$529K------------------$224K - Guy needs to break out next season if the Line gives Wilson a chance.

Naz Jones-----------$754K------------$529K------------------$224K - Bargain showed he is a comer.

Tedric Thompson--$723K------------$504K------------------$218K - This is our depth at CB

DJ Alexander-------$714K------------$0-----------------------$714K - Special teams ace, need to keep him

George Fant--------$636K------------$6K---------------------$630K - Can he recover and improve? Our depth behind Brown or can he play RT.

DeAndre Elliott-----$633K------------$3K---------------------$630K - Another guy that isn't stand out at anything

Tanner McEvoy----$630K------------$0-----------------------$630K - This guy needs to spend time with a Jugs machine, has promise, need to work on route running and could be that safety valve and sideline guy. Needs to step it up or be cut.

Tre Madden---------$630K------------$0-----------------------$630K - He doesn't have the body to be a blocker and has been injured a lot, cut and get a true FB.

Chris Carson-------$571K-------------$48K--------------------$522K - If he can return to form bargain

Jordan Roos-------$561K-------------$13K--------------------$548K - We don't know what we have with him really, if we change O line coaches I would be interested to see what he can do, not really a big cap impact given his age and upside.

David Moore-------$555K-------------$0K----------------------$555K - Another guy that has all the tools and needs a chance, has a bigger body and also speed, need to see if he can fit, Richardson replacement maybe.

Mike Tyson---------$555K-------------$0------------------------$555K Not much time on the field, has the size but can he push the rest, need the depth.

The above should allow you to work out exactly who could be possible cap casualties and who doesn’t really make sense to cut due to large amounts of dead money.

Currently the exact cap number for Seattle in 2018 sits at $19,414,950.

Here are the 2018 free agents list -

Jimmy Graham - Let go, production not worth his salary, McEvoy if he can learn to box out has the capability to help with Grahams exit.

Luke Joeckel - See if he can get healthy and come back at a reduced salary, if not gone.

Eddie Lacy - They have Good Chinese in China, about as close as I want him to this team next year.
Luke Willson - Another 1 year deal cheap

Paul Richardson - Would be nice but I would let him hit the market, if he isn't signed offer him a Kearse type deal

Oday Aboushi - Could not take a spot from our atrocious Guard play, they said he is smart but you can have smart guys anywhere, they need to be able to play also.

Matt Tobin - Another player brought in to play LT but could not take a position, not worth paying big money to, compete contract at Guard.

Austin Davis - I like him, experienced and is more mobile then given credit for, resign, we didn't get to see his coin flip skills either.

Sheldon Richardson - I think he is a key guy to resign, his presence makes the whole d line better, he eats up two guys letting someone come loose, these guys don't grow on trees, fact the Jets want him back says something as well.

Bradley McDougald - No Kam and if Earl is moved he is a must, would be a starter anywhere else and will not break the bank.

Michael Wilhoite - Ageing Vet who was a good back up, if reasonable resign.

DeShawn Shead - Has he come back 100 percent, I would see if we can get him into SS shape and weight and let him compete at SS, especially if McDougald can't be resigned.

Marcus Smith - We were patient with his recovery, see if we can resign reasonable, was a impactful guy once he got some playing time.

Terence Garvin - I liked what he brought to the table, should not be a spendy resign

Blair Walsh - Head case find his replacement.

I don't see Byron Maxwell on the list, but defiantly resign if we can get a reasonable contract, this allows us to move Sherman as well, Maxie played well and got better, he is wanted and may not shoot for the moon on a contract having already done that and got more headaches for it along with a nice payday.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Richard Sherman and Earl obviously scream out as something to consider. Especially given how unhappy Earl seems, and the money he wants.

Sherman's injury and leadership makes it hard to trade him and get back some value. You can cut your superstars but what are the chances you win the Super Bowl?

I still say get rid of Lane. Makes very little sense to get rid of Bennett. Negotiate Duane Brown's contract. Let go of Cliff Avril, awesome Seahawk gonna miss him. Then there are those players with a lower cap hit but may be worth cutting, including Tanner and Moore.

Thanks for this thread. I'm not as worried about the cap as I was before

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Wow, sorry Avril. You're probably gone for savings like that (7.5M). Wouldn't be surprised if Earl (8.5M) was traded as well, while his stock is still high.

If Avril retires, or takes an injury settlement, do we still save that in cap space?

Jville

Reaction score
A few of these contracts invite further examination. A revealing example is linked here >>> [urltargetblank]https://overthecap.com/player/michael-bennett/359/[/urltargetblank]

After reading the above linked contract notes and OTC table, we discover additional cost considerations relevant to a 2018 decision on that example contract.

The pre-June 1 dead money write off and cap savings for 2018 is straight forward as shown in the linked presentation. A post-June 1 release / contract termination results in $1,737,500 dead cap money for 2018 and a follow on $3,475,000 dead cap cost in 2019. In either case, if a release/contract termination occurs prior to the 2018 roster bonus payment of $4,000,000, the final cap charges add up to and is limited to $5,212,500. If there is a termination of this contract, it would most likely occur prior to that roster bonus.

If this contract is in fact terminated prior to that 2018 roster bonus payment, cash flow savings and the opportunity costs liberated over the next three years would be $1.5M + $4.0M + $6.0M + $1.0M + $7.5M + $1.0M = $21,000,000. That's $21 million in liberated and potentially discretionary funds for payment toward other contracts. An average of $7 million a year over the next 3 years. It is a note worthy opportunity that invites consideration of competitive options.

All in all, a helpful web site >>> [urltargetblank]https://overthecap.com/player/michael-bennett/359/[/urltargetblank]

poly1274

Reaction score
Duane brown isn't a free agent? What was his contract extension?

AgentDib

Reaction score
It would cost us approximately $4.1 mil against the cap if we cut Kam, Avril, Lane and Jon Ryan after June 1. Cutting them before June 1 would be a lot pricier.

My favorite plan as of now is to let those four go post-June and resign around nine of our RFA/UFAs. Probably Austin Davis, JD McKissic, Mike Davis, Dion Jordan, Sheldon Richardson, Marcus Smith, Terence Garvin, DeShawn Shead, and Bradley McDougald.

We would still have room under the cap for a few high value FAs like WR John Brown, RG DJ Fluker, TE Darren Fells, DE Aaron Lynch, ILB Demario Davis, P Pat O'Donnell and LS Matt Overton.

Then we take #18 Quenton Nelson (LG), #114 Deontay Burnett (WR), #132 Brandon Facyson (CB), #159 Chris Herndon (TE), #198 Deadrin Senat (DT), #222 Michael Badley (K), and #224 Nyles Morgan (ILB) in the draft. That would bring it up to ~173mil leaving us a couple million under the cap for injury replacements, and there would be more cap room if we add any UDFAs that earn a roster spot.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
poly1274":2iu1f9vd said:
Duane brown isn't a free agent? What was his contract extension?

When he was traded he was signed through 2018.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Two exceptional posts to begin the thread. The initial post the food for thought factual situation and the next a principled opinion of what to do. Very good job guys!

Find this discussion incredibly interesting. Jville's usually excellent post as well indicates the detail surrounding the complex cap discussions.

There will certainly be at least one or two veteran player that is presently unexpected to be moved that will be moved as the the team is refreshed or rebuild. Like most things the discussion will be quite fungible depending upon the steps talen by the FO. It will be a very critical draft b/c for the most part the team is somewhat cap strapped unless a big contract or two is offloaded.

I am writing my treatise on this to add later today. We all should be prepared for some surprising player personnel moves.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
So as indicated the team has $19,414,950 in available cap less whatever rollover subtraction exists from this season's bonuses (esitmated to be about $895,000).

The 36 present actual free agents are set out below. It is clear some decisions will need to be made with veteran contracts not listed below. The ERFAs are easy b/c the team controls their contracts and all are/will be minimum deals anyway after that many of the situations will involve what happens with trades, FA, and the draft. It will be a very interesting and critical offseason for the team for them to remain competitive in the division.

OLB- OLB- 59- Josh Forrest (IR) (Don't think he's kept)

OC- 53- Joey Hunt, ( Keep for roster depth and at least for TC until the final cuts, knows the system and his bonus paid last year would be dead money)

DE- 67- Branden Jackson, ( Keep as he is a player with real developmental potential and played well in limited relief)

OLB- 47- P.J. Dawson, (Don't think he's kept)

DE- 99- Quinton Jefferson, ( Keep to compete he played better towards the end of the season as a backup the team sees him to be a player with developmental potential)

DT- 98- Garrison Smith, (Keep as he was solid in relief of Richardson, nothing special but steady)

LS- 69- Tyler Ott, (Keep as he has been an acceptable LS)

RB- 21- J.D. McKissic, (Keep as he played passably well as a 3rd down back, like his quickness)

TE- 46- Tyrone Swoopes, (Keep the team likes and want to develop him or have him here for at least through TC)

OT- 67- Tyrus Thompson (WI)> (IR) (potential to keep)

OLB- 48- Christian French, (WI) > (IR) (Think the team will try to keep him as they think when healthy he could be a solid SOLB as a pass rusher, he will be kept through to the cuts to have a chance when healthy to see if he has the stuff)

SS- 37- Jordan Simone, (WI)> (IR) ( He may be back on the PS next season)

CB- 36- Akeem King , (IR/PS) (Very physically talented player that the team is interested in seeing what he's got when healthy)

OLB- 41- Dewey McDonald, (IR), (probably won't be teandered until his knee injury is resolved, the team likes what he brings on ST so may try to keep him)

DE- 95- Dion Jordan, (Absolutely keep, may finally be showing his draft potential, original round tender (1st) will discourage other teams trying to bid up a contract for him)

CB- 28- Justin Coleman, ( Absolutely keep, he was a very solid NCB, being undrafted a 2nd round tender will be the minimum the team will offer, he could genuinely be in demand in FA)

RB- 39- Mike Davis, ( Keep for RB depth)

RB- 34- Thomas Rawls, ( don't think the team will tender him but rather will offer him a minimum contract he is going to have get his head together to make the team next season)

Unrestricted Free Agents (18)
TE- 88- Jimmy Graham, (I think he's gone unless he lowers his salary expectations, seemingly to me was already checked out, Bevell still has little idea of how to best use him, personally I don't care if he goes)

LG- 78- Luke Joeckel, ( I'd let him walk unless he signs an inexpensive contract, think the depth after him in Odihambo Roos and Pocic offer close to what the team gets from him and he is not exactly healthy)

RB- 27- Eddie Lacy, (No way I want to see this overweight slow fat slob on the Seahawks next season)

DT- 91- Sheldon Richardson, ( It'd be nice to see him re-upped, however, he will be very expensive and the team may chose to let him walk being unable to match or meet his salary demands, if the team re-ups him it will be for a short and pricey deal)

FS- 30- Bradley McDougald, ( absolutely try to re-upp given health issues with Chancellor and Thomas this FA will likely be and early renewal he'll be paid as a mid -level FS)

TE- 82-Luke Willson, (Would try to keep if Graham goes, he won't be that expensive plays adequately and gives the team some speed and versatility at TE)

OLB- 57- Michael Wilhoite, (Vet . Min. only would keep if the draft/FA doesn't provide a SOLB candidate)

WR- 10- Paul Richardson, ( I think the team will let him test FA, and then try to match any deal he can come up with, his injury history and the fact he faded away at the end of the season lower his value)

P/K- 7- Blair Walsh (F), (C'Ya, think until you see a shrink you are done in the NFL)

DE- 97 - Marcus Smith II, (I offer an inexpensive deal as he played OK at times in limited relief)

OG- 75- Oday Aboushi, (IR) (No thanks, our developmental guys have more potential))

OT- 73- Matt Tobin, ( sign only as reserve and then late if there is a depth problem)

OLB- 52- Terrence Garvin, ( showed some potential will get minimum 1 year deal offered)

QB- 6- Austin Davis, (min deal, he will compete with Boykin for the backup job without the advantage of Boykin being subject to a potential suspnsion, think Boykin might beat him out)

CB- 41- Byron Maxwell, (Would like to keep but think he may be too costly)

CB- 35- DeShawn Shead, (Am unsure if his contract tolled due to his almost year long PUP designation think he could be a mid priced FA if he tests the market)

LB- 49- Kache Palacio, (team didn't offer him a future deal and that says lots)

OLB- 48- Jason Thompson. (team didn't offer him a future deal and that says lots)

Contracts of Veteran players that may get traded or released.

- Richard Sherman could recoup $11 million in cap and likely some draft picks. Only a slim possibility to me.

- Earl Thomas could recoup $8.5 million in cap and some high draft picks. Am doubtful the team would trade him but never thought the team would even discuss trading Sherman.

- Kam Chancellor may get released or traded causing the team to recoup $2.3 million in cap.

- Cliff Avril will likely be released because of his injuries saving the team $7.5 million in cap.

- Jeremy Lane (may be traded or released which would result in a cap saving of $4.75 million, he did not play up to his contract and is only on the team b/c he failed his physical going to Houston)

- John Ryan (had a weak season and may be released to recoup $2 million in cap)

The others will stay if they succed in camp competing against the those others at their respective positions. Ver y much believe the team will keep Mike B, who will need the longer offseason to get healthy again would be suprised to see many of the veteran contracts traded or released.

Naturally would love to see Coach Cable gone and would not be unhappy to see a new ST coach or Coach Bevell relocate, wouldn't bother me at all if Richard moved along either.

kidhawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":9195at4l said:
So as indicated the team has $19,414,950 in available cap less whatever rollover subtraction exists from this season's bonuses (esitmated to be about $895,000).

The 36 present actual free agents are set out below. It is clear some decisions will need to be made with veteran contracts not listed below. The ERFAs are easy b/c the team controls their contracts and all are/will be minimum deals anyway after that many of the situations will involve what happens with trades, FA, and the draft. It will be a very interesting and critical offseason for the team for them to remain competitive in the division.

OLB- OLB- 59- Josh Forrest (IR) (Don't think he's kept)

OC- 53- Joey Hunt, ( Keep for roster depth and at least for TC until the final cuts, knows the system and his bonus paid last year would be dead money)

DE- 67- Branden Jackson, ( Keep as he is a player with real developmental potential and played well in limited relief)

OLB- 47- P.J. Dawson, (Don't think he's kept)

DE- 99- Quinton Jefferson, ( Keep to compete he played better towards the end of the season as a backup the team sees him to be a player with developmental potential)

DT- 98- Garrison Smith, (Keep as he was solid in relief of Richardson, nothing special but steady)

LS- 69- Tyler Ott, (Keep as he has been an acceptable LS)

RB- 21- J.D. McKissic, (Keep as he played passably well as a 3rd down back, like his quickness)

TE- 46- Tyrone Swoopes, (Keep the team likes and want to develop him or have him here for at least through TC)

OT- 67- Tyrus Thompson (WI)> (IR) (potential to keep)

OLB- 48- Christian French, (WI) > (IR) (Think the team will try to keep him as they think when healthy he could be a solid SOLB as a pass rusher, he will be kept through to the cuts to have a chance when healthy to see if he has the stuff)

SS- 37- Jordan Simone, (WI)> (IR) ( He may be back on the PS next season)

CB- 36- Akeem King , (IR/PS) (Very physically talented player that the team is interested in seeing what he's got when healthy)

OLB- 41- Dewey McDonald, (IR), (probably won't be teandered until his knee injury is resolved, the team likes what he brings on ST so may try to keep him)

DE- 95- Dion Jordan, (Absolutely keep, may finally be showing his draft potential, original round tender (1st) will discourage other teams trying to bid up a contract for him)

CB- 28- Justin Coleman, ( Absolutely keep, he was a very solid NCB, being undrafted a 2nd round tender will be the minimum the team will offer, he could genuinely be in demand in FA)

RB- 39- Mike Davis, ( Keep for RB depth)

RB- 34- Thomas Rawls, ( don't think the team will tender him but rather will offer him a minimum contract he is going to have get his head together to make the team next season)

Unrestricted Free Agents (18)
TE- 88- Jimmy Graham, (I think he's gone unless he lowers his salary expectations, seemingly to me was already checked out, Bevell still has little idea of how to best use him, personally I don't care if he goes)

LG- 78- Luke Joeckel, ( I'd let him walk unless he signs an inexpensive contract, think the depth after him in Odihambo Roos and Pocic offer close to what the team gets from him and he is not exactly healthy)

RB- 27- Eddie Lacy, (No way I want to see this overweight slow fat slob on the Seahawks next season)

DT- 91- Sheldon Richardson, ( It'd be nice to see him re-upped, however, he will be very expensive and the team may chose to let him walk being unable to match or meet his salary demands, if the team re-ups him it will be for a short and pricey deal)

FS- 30- Bradley McDougald, ( absolutely try to re-upp given health issues with Chancellor and Thomas this FA will likely be and early renewal he'll be paid as a mid -level FS)

TE- 82-Luke Willson, (Would try to keep if Graham goes, he won't be that expensive plays adequately and gives the team some speed and versatility at TE)

OLB- 57- Michael Wilhoite, (Vet . Min. only would keep if the draft/FA doesn't provide a SOLB candidate)

WR- 10- Paul Richardson, ( I think the team will let him test FA, and then try to match any deal he can come up with, his injury history and the fact he faded away at the end of the season lower his value)

P/K- 7- Blair Walsh (F), (C'Ya, think until you see a shrink you are done in the NFL)

DE- 97 - Marcus Smith II, (I offer an inexpensive deal as he played OK at times in limited relief)

OG- 75- Oday Aboushi, (IR) (No thanks, our developmental guys have more potential))

OT- 73- Matt Tobin, ( sign only as reserve and then late if there is a depth problem)

OLB- 52- Terrence Garvin, ( showed some potential will get minimum 1 year deal offered)

QB- 6- Austin Davis, (min deal, he will compete with Boykin for the backup job without the advantage of Boykin being subject to a potential suspnsion, think Boykin might beat him out)

CB- 41- Byron Maxwell, (Would like to keep but think he may be too costly)

CB- 35- DeShawn Shead, (Am unsure if his contract tolled due to his almost year long PUP designation think he could be a mid priced FA if he tests the market)

LB- 49- Kache Palacio, (team didn't offer him a future deal and that says lots)

OLB- 48- Jason Thompson. (team didn't offer him a future deal and that says lots)

Contracts of Veteran players that may get traded or released.

- Richard Sherman could recoup $11 million in cap and likely some draft picks. Only a slim possibility to me.

- Earl Thomas could recoup $8.5 million in cap and some high draft picks. Am doubtful the team would trade him but never thought the team would even discuss trading Sherman.

- Kam Chancellor may get released or traded causing the team to recoup $2.3 million in cap.

- Cliff Avril will likely be released because of his injuries saving the team $7.5 million in cap.

- Jeremy Lane (may be traded or released which would result in a cap saving of $4.75 million, he did not play up to his contract and is only on the team b/c he failed his physical going to Houston)

- John Ryan (had a weak season and may be released to recoup $2 million in cap)

The others will stay if they succed in camp competing against the those others at their respective positions. Ver y much believe the team will keep Mike B, who will need the longer offseason to get healthy again would be suprised to see many of the veteran contracts traded or released.

Naturally would love to see Coach Cable gone and would not be unhappy to see a new ST coach or Coach Bevell relocate, wouldn't bother me at all if Richard moved along either.

I think I can agree with most of this. Just a few small points I wanted to make about the areas I highlighted...

1) I don't believe anyone is out of the realm of listening to offers for and that includes Wilson. Obviously certain guys will have their values set at such a price that trading them is next to impossible, but for the right deal I think Pete and John would trade pretty much anyone.

2) I think it's more than likely Kam retires instead of being traded or released. The way Pete was talking at his end of the season press conference made it sound like his injury is a long term issue that could be significantly worsened by playing football.

3) I think the same of Avril as Kam. I look for him to retire, so technically they may release him depending on the timing of his decision for cap purposes, but either way it's the same result.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
Lets say a hypothetical situation happens as follows -

JS and PC decide to really shake up the roster, they understand they have no 2nd or 3rd round picks and have a lot of players they like in this years class.

The following players get traded -

Earl Thomas - Dallas stumps up and gives a 1st and 5th for Earl
Richard Sherman - No idea on a landing spot, but the team is confident in his ability to come back so offers up a 3rd

Seattle's draft board now looks as follows -

1st
1st
3rd
4th
5th
5th
5th
7th
7th
7th
7th

Kam retires
Avril retires
Lane is cut
Jon Ryan is cut
Neiko Thorpe is cut

The cap would then be -

$57,314,950

Sheldon Richardson resigned for 4 years $52M contract ($11.5M cap hit in 18)

Bradley McDougald signed to a 3 year $12M contract ($3.66M cap hit in 18) (starts at FS)

A SS would need to be signed (presuming they don't like their 2016 draftees)

For arguments sake lets say they sign Eric Reed to a 3 year $18M contract ($6M cap hit in 18)

After those three signings the cap sits at -

$36,148,283

That's still a healthy number even after paying the draft class, paying the practice squad, rounding up the roster to 53 and saving some cash for injuries.

They could still make a big name signing or two even after that little lot.

Food for thought.

Even if you hate the idea of trading Earl, you could still do all of the above and the cap would sit at $27,648,283.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I have suspected the numerous one year deals have been signed to acquire talent without the dead cap hits if they don't pan out like Joeckel, Lacy, Aboushi. It also places the team in a position to acquire some type of comp pick if the team doesn't keep the player but another team decides they want that guy enough to pay a salary that is more than the team wants to pay.

In your scenario the cap freed up would return the team to cap flexibility and offer the team an ability play in the FA market which they usually don't do. The LOB is then officially dead however and the team needs in the draft change when the draft doesn't look to be particaularly strong at CB and S. The problems with OLine remain unfortunately as do the resultant running game dificulties. End result = a weakened team at least at the outset.

However, as we all know change is inevitable.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
For sure.

Just to be clear that situation isn't what I want to happen.

Merely a situational example of the possibilities.

Jville

Reaction score
Nice subject .... thanks for introducing it. :2thumbs:

I'm not entirely clear about the details and outcome of the Kam Chancellor contract should he not play again.

Contract Notes
Kam Chancellor signed a three year, $36 million extension with the Seahawks on August 1, 2017. Chancellor received $13 million in full guarantees, including a $10 million signing bonus. Another $12 million is currently guaranteed for injury and will become fully guaranteed following the Super Bowl of the prior league year. Chancellor's contract contains annual $500,000 per game bonuses and there is a $1 million offseason roster bonus in the final year of the contract. The Seahawks created $1.3 million in cap room in 2017 due to the extension.

After reading that, it seems to me that the additional $12 million has effectively already become fully guaranteed because of his injury status. So $10 million + $12 million = $22 million in guarantees. And looking forward, $22,000,000 - $6,643,756 in 2017 cap charges = a balance of $15,156,244 in cap charges yet to be charged. I don't expect Kam to give away that kind of money. And, without some kind of amending exit settlement, I would anticipate that Kam will remain involved in some capacity with the 2018 team. I anticipate the remaining $15,156,244 in guarantees will be accounted for in 2018 and 2019.

In any case, that is how I look at it pending clarification of quoted OTC language and additional contract details.

[urltargetblank]https://overthecap.com/player/kam-chancellor/847/[/urltargetblank]

EDIT:

Oops ....... my apologies.

My guarantee numbers were off by $2.5 million. $2.5 million of the $10 million signing bonus has already been charged off against the 2017 cap. So correcting the above numbers ($10 million - $2.5 million) + $12 million in triggered injury guarantees = $19,500,000 in post Super Bowl guarantees. Dismiss the erroneous application of the $6,643,756 number as it applied to 2017 .... it was applied in error.

$19.5 million should be the post super bowl guarantee for the Chancellor contract. Note that some OTC numbers on Kam's 2018 page will change via the injury trigger. The 2018 cap charge will remain at $9.8 million. The dead cap number will balloon from $7.5 million to $19.5 million. And the cap saving (loss) number of $2.5 million will free fall to a negative ($9.7 million).

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
Yeah I'm pretty sure if he retires he forfeits any injury money, I can see him refusing and spending the season on the PUP list.

chris98251

Reaction score
I have to wonder if there is an insurance policy not disclosed, many players have it and if so could take that and retire, he gets his money the team gets the relief.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
chris98251":r9cb3zfl said:
I have to wonder if there is an insurance policy not disclosed, many players have it and if so could take that and retire, he gets his money the team gets the relief.

Very valid point.

Not convinced he'd have personally had a policy, though. Given the amount of guaranteed money he got in his contract for injury, I expect that is his insurance policy.