Russell Wilson Appreciation

adeltaY

Reaction score
After reading through some stats, I had to make this post. Most of us have seen the 81% of the offense and 97% of the TDs stats, so I won't bore anyone with those. I want to focus on the burden placed on Wilson. He wasn't perfect, maybe not even great (though I think so), but what he had to deal with was pretty ridiculous and I'm proud to call him our QB.

RB rushing yards: 1043 (32nd by just under 200 yards) (8th lowest RB rushing season all time from what I read on reddit, will try to find source)
RB YPC: 3.0 (32nd by 0.2 ypc)
RB rushing TDs: 1 (32nd by 3 TDs)
RB runs inside the 10: 20 runs for -3 yards (Wilson had 3 runs for 3 yards and 2 TDs inside the 10 and a 23 yard run for a TD)

QB pressure rate for opponents was on average 10% higher vs. the Seahawks than their season average pressure percentages.

Good stats: TD/INT ratio 3.09, 586 rushing yards (6.2 ypc), 4569 total yards
Bad stats: non-4th quarter passer rating was BAD *80), YPA was not good (7.2), completion percentage really bad (61.3%)

I think if you put it in context, he had almost nothing to work with and our offense was all his arm and legs. Yes, he missed throws, was gun shy early in games, etc. Nonetheless, no QB had to deal with this difficult of a situation this season. What a trooper. Thanks for being our QB, 3.

Usa today 87483770

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Good post. Nothing about this season has changed my opinion about Russell Wilson as our quarterback. I feel just as convinced now as I did in 2012 that this man is a once-in-a-lifetime player and future Hall of Famer.

I would love to have seen what Rodgers and Brady - Hell ANY QB in the NFL - would have done statistically with the same identical situation Russell had to deal with in 2017. I would bet my life savings Wilson would come out heads and shoulders above them.

Give this man a COMPETENT/CONSISTENT offensive line and running game and my God.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Aros":2g5gf6cg said:
Good post. Nothing about this season has changed my opinion about Russell Wilson as our quarterback. I feel just as convinced now as I did in 2012 that this man is a once-in-a-lifetime player and future Hall of Famer.

I would love to have seen what Rodgers and Brady - Hell ANY QB in the NFL - would have done statistically with the same identical situation Russell had to deal with in 2017. I would bet my life savings Wilson would come out heads and shoulders above them.

Give this man a COMPETENT/CONSISTENT offensive line and running game and my God.

He is a phenomenal athlete and QB, I can't wait to see what he can do once this engine is dialed in.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
I think this will be unpopular, but I think he left a lot of plays on the field. Honestly thought he should have done better this year.

Flame away

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":30qc9yzk said:
I think this will be unpopular, but I think he left a lot of plays on the field. Honestly thought he should have done better this year.

Flame away

I agree, he could have done better. I just think it's difficult to expect better when, IMO, the coaching he has isn't the best and when you factor in the disastrous running game, he didn't have the support he needed. He did have some terrible misses, but other QBs, even your Rodgers, Brady, and Brees have those, though to a lesser degree. All those guys had at least solid run games, and good pass protection. Brees had one of the best run games in the league and proceeded to set the single season completion percentage record, have a fantastic YPA, and a wonderful season overall. A lot of that's because he's Brees, but they also have a great OL, excellent RBs, and superior playcalling. As such, I think Russ did better than the stats would say given the pressure on him. No QB deserves what he got this year.

I think contextualizing Russ' performance is important. I believe he had less to work with than any of the other good to great QBs around the league. I can see an argument for Stafford, but he had a bit more help from RBs and his stats really weren't as good as Russ'. I want this organization to give him better coaching, protect him better, and get him a solid run game. I want this because I believe he can be better and I think he knows it. Your opinion shouldn't be dismissed out of hand, no need to get flamed for it.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
I felt he regressed. He could have "managed games" better instead of looking for "the play". However, that is his unique skill to counter pressure by escaping and taking deep shots.
To his credit he never gives up and managed to survive what could have been a busted jaw and several shots that would have taken out average players.

Big question: Where is this MASTER class for quarterbacks Pete promised Wilson? Bevell?

Palmegranite

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":1m31dmh7 said:

Flame away
So sorry, but you've mistakenly ventured into the "Russell Wilson Appreciation " thread. The "I'm Never Satisfied With Our HOF QB" thread is down two blocks and to the left.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Palmegranite":2xcp1cfk said:
CHawkTailGator":2xcp1cfk said:

Flame away
So sorry, but you've mistakenly ventured into the "Russell Wilson Appreciation " thread. The "I'm Never Satisfied With Our HOF QB" thread is down two blocks and to the left.

Seriously man. It took all of three posts for an appreciation thread to turn into a criticism thread. There are plenty of critical threads. That's sad.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Russell Wilson is the best QB in the NFL, to include Rodgers. I give him the edge over Rodgers because of durability.

Having said that, Wilson’s offseason priority needs to rediscover his pocket presence which has deteriorated with our horrid OL. Hopefully him and Duane Brown can work together this offseason so Brown can get adjusted to blocking for Wilson’s style. Also, how to take your Ws and take your Ls. There were too many 10+ yard sacks he took when he could have just threw the ball away. Those are drive killers.

hawker84

Reaction score
Seanhawk":exha8qr0 said:
Palmegranite":exha8qr0 said:
CHawkTailGator":exha8qr0 said:

Flame away

Seriously man. It took all of three posts for an appreciation thread to turn into a criticism thread. There are plenty of critical threads. That's sad.

Yep.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I have no problem with being critical of his performance but it should always be in the context of what he had to work with. Nobody's perfect including Russell Wilson. He does pirouette into some really nasty big yardage sacks instead of throwing the ball away, killing drives cold. He prematurely jumps out of the pocket before the protection breaks down sometimes. However to me these (and some other of his less than desirable traits) is directly in correlation to his persistent lack of a clean pocket with time to throw the ball and no running game to speak of.

Remember that game where you would place your hands out in front of you and your buddy would see if he was fast enough to smack them before you can pull away? How many times would you flinch your hands away if your buddy simply jerked his hands to pretend he was going to strike but didn't?

Every time.

Russell Wilson is flinching because if you get hit enough you can't help it. This to me describes any of his perceived "regressions" or issues this season.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Steve2222":236v9ne0 said:
Russell Wilson is the best QB in the NFL, to include Rodgers. I give him the edge over Rodgers because of durability.

Having said that, Wilson’s offseason priority needs to rediscover his pocket presence which has deteriorated with our horrid OL. Hopefully him and Duane Brown can work together this offseason so Brown can get adjusted to blocking for Wilson’s style. Also, how to take your Ws and take your Ls. There were too many 10+ yard sacks he took when he could have just threw the ball away. Those are drive killers.

I hope Brown spends the whole off season protecting Russell's blind side too. Some one running up for an autograph from behind should get laid out in front of the buffett line. Get Russ back to feeling comfortable.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":agpyneyh said:

Flame away

The Seahawks Offense for the last 2-1/2 Seasons were SINGLE faceted...NO RUN GAME...The only consistency that Wilson could count on for the last 2 years, was his shitty O-Line.
Defenses only had to beat ONE GUY.........RUSSELL WILSON.
ZERO Run Game assistance, and he astonishingly conjures up 4,569 YARDS!!!
"Should Have Done Better"?....He made it through this Season with shitty protection, without getting injured again (2016), so yeah, he did do "Better"

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
For every sack that Russell runs into, he pulls two miracle plays from thin air. I am convinced that there would not be another QB in this league that could survive the turnstile we call our OL. I could nitpick a few things but dear lord I am beyond happy he is our QB.

original poster

Reaction score
bevellisthedevil":367f92cn said:
For every sack that Russell runs into, he pulls two miracle plays from thin air. I am convinced that there would not be another QB in this league that could survive the turnstile we call our OL. I could nitpick a few things but dear lord I am beyond happy he is our QB.

100% agree with this.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DangeRussWilson/status/948955094908727296[/tweet]

Seanhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":rvb6he9n said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DangeRussWilson/status/948955094908727296[/tweet]

Nice. He looks taller. Hard work is paying off already.

rcaido

Reaction score
i thought Wilson was too short? Looks like he can dunk without jumping!

Future Sonics player right there!

chris98251

Reaction score
The Russell we see today is the creation of Cable and Bevell, I agree with the hand slapping exercise and even when it's fake flinch or bail out of the pocket after being hit consecutive times. It becomes almost involuntary muscle memory, or self preservation, unlearning it will be difficult.