Has Winning A Super Bowl Changed How You Cope?

Has Winning A Super Bowl Changed How You Cope After A Disappointing Season?

• Yes. I don't get as upset any more.

Votes: 49 58.3%
  • No. I still get just as pissed off as before.

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • It's Complicated. (Read My Comments)

Votes: 13 15.5%

• Total voters

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I would suspect from of us older 12's (especially around since the beginning) there's no longer the feeling of closing desperation every time we fall short of expectations and/or the playoffs (i.e. "Will I ever see the Seahawks win the Super Bowl before I die?"). Before, at least for me personally, I would go into a serious funk that could last months after a disappointing season. I am finding now, after having witnessed Seahawks Nirvana in the form of a 43-8 beat down to win it all in SBXLVIII, I just don't get as worked up as I used to after enduring a tough or underachieving season.

Curious who else feels this way?

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I'm strangely the opposite. I had always thought if I was lucky enough to witness the Seahawks hoist the Lombardi, they could go 0-16 for five straight years before I would/could complain. Instead, I might get more upset now than I used to. Apparently, I just want more of that sweet, sweet feeling.

Wizofwest

Reaction score
I get even more worked up than before. Especially given this groups window essentially closed at this point. So much opportunity to be a dynasty. Got to the Super Bowl two straight years. I still can't watch 49, it makes me sick.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Totally more chill after a disappointing season.

I'm already over this season and looking forward to an interesting offseason.

I think having a good QB helps with the alleviation of angst, since I know as long as we have RW and get some breaks we have as good a chance as anyone. I'm not going to look forward to the years after Wilson unless we can pull a Favre->Rodgers type transition.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Voted it's complicated.

As a 9ers fan, I was actively rooting and into it for the '89, '90, and '95 Super Bowl wins, and it was the perfect age to do so and to get to root teams that were dominating (from ten years old to sixteen years old).

For the 2013 Super Bowl loss I was pretty sad because by that point I *really* understood how fleeting success could be, and how much luck played a role in a very good team even getting to the Super Bowl, let alone almost winning it.

When they lost it I basically already knew that they had almost definitely blown what would be their one shot during that run.

But at the same time, knowing how much everything just comes down to chance also really allowed me to not really care too much by the next morning.

If anything, watching my team lose one, I think, has made my fandom more enjoyable for me. I'd still obviously prefer for them to win instead of lose, but since then, even as they've been absolutely atrocious it hasn't really gotten to me at all like it did when things totally fell apart in the early 2Ks. I watch and follow them now not because I'm super tied to them winning or not, but merely because following the team and watching them is a hobby and pastime that I enjoy.

Sonichellboy

Reaction score
Voted It's complicated as well. I thought after we beat the snot out of the Broncos I'd never worry about a season ending in a loss again. Then 49 happened, and seeing the team regress in a lot of ways since then has made me realize that we could have had so much more. I don't expect them to win the super bowl every year, but I miss feeling like there was no reason we couldn't.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I get more upset now than before because I see a ton of wasted talent and opportunities. Its a shame that a so called 'Dynasty' at one time will be remembered more for a Super Bowl they lost than the one they won.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Kind of like the 116 win Mariners. At this point you just kind of realize it was a one time deal and who knows how long it will take for them to get back to the top.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Aros":17g33ht2 said:
I would suspect from of us older 12's (especially around since the beginning) there's no longer the feeling of closing desperation every time we fall short of expectations and/or the playoffs (i.e. "Will I ever see the Seahawks win the Super Bowl before I die?"). Before, at least for me personally, I would go into a serious funk that could last months after a disappointing season. I am finding now, after having witnessed Seahawks Nirvana in the form of a 43-8 beat down to win it all in SBXLVIII, I just don't get as worked up as I used to after enduring a tough or underachieving season.

This exactly describes me.

I'd take me months to recover from another season of the Hawk's ripping my heart out with that constant feeling of dread that we'd never win a SB.

I still get bummed out, but it's nowhere near the depression causing levels of before we won.

mikeak

Reaction score
If the question had been - had a SECOND Super Bowl win made you less upset then yes

Unfortunately I tie the downhill to the "One that got away" and feel that it has been slipping since. Two super bowl wins would kind of have set a legacy as a team that repeated and would be remembered by sports fan for a long time

chris98251

Reaction score
We have been to three Super Bowls, won 1 should have really won 3, were part of the have's and not have not's now, get more upset with the steering then with the record of games. Know we have a Owner that allows the team to compete at the highest level and we will have our chances going forward. We are not owned by Mike Brown.

Pete may or may not get us back to the dance, but Paul as long as he or his family owns us will bring in the guys to push for it. I think we will see another Super Bowl within the next ten years actually if not sooner.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Aros":1b0ypy8k said:

I'll raise my hand, as I'm one of the older 12's. I've followed this team faithfully since my family moved to Washington State in 1977. For me, I won't completely say that the Seahawks Organization has a "blank check" per se for the rest of my life -- I mean, I want many more Lombardi Trophies just like everyone else -- but MAN, if I'm honest, it's pretty close. Just consider our history. Consider where we came from ... and where we are now. It's unbelievable. I mean, we weren't exactly the Cleveland Browns back in the day, but we were pretty close. We were the Sea-Chickens and everyone knew it. We were the butt of everyone's joke. We were a laughingstock. We were the lovable losers. In a lot of ways, we WERE like the old Chicago Cubs (prior to actually morphing into a World Series caliber team).

You want to talk disappointing?!? How about that Dan McGwire led 2-14 debacle season. You want to see offensive ineptitude? Put THAT ONE in your pipe and smoke it. That team STILL holds the record for the worst offensive performance in NFL History. I was loud and proud back then ... back in the days when you seemingly couldn't find an admitted Seahawks fan anywhere. It was shameful -- almost dirty in a way for many people -- to admit they actually rooted for the Seahawks. Now you see 12's jerseys and Seahawks hats everywhere. How's that for change?

And let's not forget ... the Seattle Seahawks came within an eyelash of not even existing anymore!! I have never been more depressed in my life and watching KING5 and seeing the Seahawks trucks rolling down I-5 South headed for Los Angeles back in 1996 ...
http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/foo...-10-years-ago-the-Seahawks-nearly-1194634.php

So yeah, you could say that Super Bowl SBXLVIII is going to power me for a long, long time to come. The Seahawks actually won a Super Bowl. Yep. THAT ... considering where we came from ... has pretty much forever altered how I view things now. I'm right there with you Aros. 100%

Steve2222

Reaction score
Wizofwest":3s8c33xx said:
I get even more worked up than before. Especially given this groups window essentially closed at this point. So much opportunity to be a dynasty. Got to the Super Bowl two straight years. I still can't watch 49, it makes me sick.

The window won’t close as long as we have Wilson

original poster

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":32d61px4 said:
Aros":32d61px4 said:

I'll raise my hand, as I'm one of the older 12's. I've followed this team faithfully since my family moved to Washington State in 1977. For me, I won't completely say that the Seahawks Organization has a "blank check" per se for the rest of my life -- I mean, I want many more Lombardi Trophies just like everyone else -- but MAN, if I'm honest, it's pretty close. Just consider our history. Consider where we came from ... and where we are now. It's unbelievable. I mean, we weren't exactly the Cleveland Browns back in the day, but we were pretty close. We were the Sea-Chickens and everyone knew it. We were the butt of everyone's joke. We were a laughingstock. We were the lovable losers. In a lot of ways, we WERE like the old Chicago Cubs (prior to actually morphing into a World Series caliber team).

You want to talk disappointing?!? How about that Dan McGwire led 2-14 debacle season. You want to see offensive ineptitude? Put THAT ONE in your pipe and smoke it. That team STILL holds the record for the worst offensive performance in NFL History. I was loud and proud back then ... back in the days when you seemingly couldn't find an admitted Seahawks fan anywhere. It was shameful -- almost dirty in a way for many people -- to admit they actually rooted for the Seahawks. Now you see 12's jerseys and Seahawks hats everywhere. How's that for change?

And let's not forget ... the Seattle Seahawks came within an eyelash of not even existing anymore!! I have never been more depressed in my life and watching KING5 and seeing the Seahawks trucks rolling down I-5 South headed for Los Angeles back in 1996 ...
http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/foo...-10-years-ago-the-Seahawks-nearly-1194634.php

So yeah, you could say that Super Bowl SBXLVIII is going to power me for a long, long time to come. The Seahawks actually won a Super Bowl. Yep. THAT ... considering where we came from ... has pretty much forever altered how I view things now. I'm right there with you Aros. 100%

Fantastic post, really made me smile :irishdrinkers:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Steve2222":1ip9gm5f said:
Wizofwest":1ip9gm5f said:

The window won’t close as long as we have Wilson

And Allen, Schneider and Pete................but my confidence is waning on putting Pete in this sentence.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
chris98251":2f0egwrz said:
Know we have a Owner that allows the team to compete at the highest level and we will have our chances going forward. We are not owned by Mike Brown.

Constantly keeping Cable and Bevell year after year makes you think we might though. :mrgreen:

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2uobxazw said:
Aros":2uobxazw said:

This exactly describes me.

I'd take me months to recover from another season of the Hawk's ripping my heart out with that constant feeling of dread that we'd never win a SB.

I still get bummed out, but it's nowhere near the depression causing levels of before we won.

Both of these for me. I used to take until about Friday after a loss to start feeling better and about draft time for the season. Now I heal much quicker and don't take any of it so seriously. XLVIII will forever be my tonic. Do I want more of the good stuff? Absolutely. It took 38 years for the first one. I'm patient and enjoy the process way more now.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Aros":1d8j1o15 said:

I noticed this after SB 49. As bad as that ended if we didn't have at least one SB win I think that game would have been as devastating or worse than 40.

With all that said I have notice myself having a different critique with the PC era as opposed to any other regime. When the team gets collectively better or worse it seems much easier to accept. However, I have noticed that the past 3 seasons of absolute stagnation regardless of the obstacles has pushed me to the bonkers side a few times. It is like that girlfriend that doesn't want to be in a relationship anymore but at the same time doesn't want to let you go or date someone else. Either suck or get better.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I"m still pissed at Baldwin for his crap fest.. which I truely believe lost us the game.
Pissed off still at Lynch for being arm tackled.
Pissed off at Kearse for not just rolling into the end zone.. he could have rolled in.
Pissed off at the last play of course.

I'm pissed off about it, cause, the Hawks would have won the following year SB.
I'm pissed off about it cause, the fire that made the Hawks who they were was just .. just gone.

Now our Window, is fast closing, with a lot up in the air.
Nah, I'm very disappointed, we really could have had a dynasty.

timmat

Reaction score
First off, great thread Aros.

XLVIII has definitely made it easier for me to cope. However, I chose "it's complicated" in the poll because of how XLIX ended. It wasn't that we lost - but rather how we lost - that re-ignited the "we've got to get another" flame for me.

As a fan from the beginning, I always would say "just give me one. I'm not greedy - I don't need a dynasty. But please, just once, let us be the team celebrating after the Super Bowl." I repeated that from my seats even as the 49ers drove down the field on us during that final drive of the 2013 NFC Championship game. And then it all happened. With my own eyes, I witnessed a championship parade right through downtown Seattle.

If you start from 2005, in a 9 yr period, we went to 3 Super Bowls and won it once. For a long suffering Hawks fan that waited 21 years in between playoff victories ('84 to 2005), I'll take that. The way this group was built and the way we won XLVIII helped sooth that old wound from the loss to the Steelers. But the nature of the XLIX loss makes it a little less soothing.

I used to always watch the moments directly after a Super Bowl to see the images of ecstatic fans, footage of local bars erupting, the parades a few days after, and it made me feel as if it would never happen here. The fact that I got to experience it does help the end-of-season doldrums now.

But man....give me one more in this era please.....to help wash away an XLIX taste that to some degree will always be there.