Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Has Winning A Super Bowl Changed How You Cope?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

Has Winning A Super Bowl Changed How You Cope After A Disappointing Season?

Yes. I don't get as upset any more.
58%
No. I still get just as pissed off as before.
26%
It's Complicated. (Read My Comments)
15%

Total votes : 84

• I would suspect from of us older 12's (especially around since the beginning) there's no longer the feeling of closing desperation every time we fall short of expectations and/or the playoffs (i.e. "Will I ever see the Seahawks win the Super Bowl before I die?"). Before, at least for me personally, I would go into a serious funk that could last months after a disappointing season. I am finding now, after having witnessed Seahawks Nirvana in the form of a 43-8 beat down to win it all in SBXLVIII, I just don't get as worked up as I used to after enduring a tough or underachieving season.

Curious who else feels this way?

There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• I'm strangely the opposite. I had always thought if I was lucky enough to witness the Seahawks hoist the Lombardi, they could go 0-16 for five straight years before I would/could complain. Instead, I might get more upset now than I used to. Apparently, I just want more of that sweet, sweet feeling.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

• I get even more worked up than before. Especially given this groups window essentially closed at this point. So much opportunity to be a dynasty. Got to the Super Bowl two straight years. I still can't watch 49, it makes me sick.
    Wizofwest
    NET Rookie

• Totally more chill after a disappointing season.

I'm already over this season and looking forward to an interesting offseason.

I think having a good QB helps with the alleviation of angst, since I know as long as we have RW and get some breaks we have as good a chance as anyone. I'm not going to look forward to the years after Wilson unless we can pull a Favre->Rodgers type transition.
    Mad Dog
    NET Rookie

• Voted it's complicated.

As a 9ers fan, I was actively rooting and into it for the '89, '90, and '95 Super Bowl wins, and it was the perfect age to do so and to get to root teams that were dominating (from ten years old to sixteen years old).

For the 2013 Super Bowl loss I was pretty sad because by that point I *really* understood how fleeting success could be, and how much luck played a role in a very good team even getting to the Super Bowl, let alone almost winning it.

When they lost it I basically already knew that they had almost definitely blown what would be their one shot during that run.

But at the same time, knowing how much everything just comes down to chance also really allowed me to not really care too much by the next morning.

If anything, watching my team lose one, I think, has made my fandom more enjoyable for me. I'd still obviously prefer for them to win instead of lose, but since then, even as they've been absolutely atrocious it hasn't really gotten to me at all like it did when things totally fell apart in the early 2Ks. I watch and follow them now not because I'm super tied to them winning or not, but merely because following the team and watching them is a hobby and pastime that I enjoy.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• Voted It's complicated as well. I thought after we beat the snot out of the Broncos I'd never worry about a season ending in a loss again. Then 49 happened, and seeing the team regress in a lot of ways since then has made me realize that we could have had so much more. I don't expect them to win the super bowl every year, but I miss feeling like there was no reason we couldn't.
    Sonichellboy
    NET Rookie

• I get more upset now than before because I see a ton of wasted talent and opportunities. Its a shame that a so called 'Dynasty' at one time will be remembered more for a Super Bowl they lost than the one they won.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Starter

• Kind of like the 116 win Mariners. At this point you just kind of realize it was a one time deal and who knows how long it will take for them to get back to the top.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:I would suspect from of us older 12's (especially around since the beginning) there's no longer the feeling of closing desperation every time we fall short of expectations and/or the playoffs (i.e. "Will I ever see the Seahawks win the Super Bowl before I die?"). Before, at least for me personally, I would go into a serious funk that could last months after a disappointing season. I am finding now, after having witnessed Seahawks Nirvana in the form of a 43-8 beat down to win it all in SBXLVIII, I just don't get as worked up as I used to after enduring a tough or underachieving season.

This exactly describes me.

I'd take me months to recover from another season of the Hawk's ripping my heart out with that constant feeling of dread that we'd never win a SB.

I still get bummed out, but it's nowhere near the depression causing levels of before we won.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• If the question had been - had a SECOND Super Bowl win made you less upset then yes

Unfortunately I tie the downhill to the "One that got away" and feel that it has been slipping since. Two super bowl wins would kind of have set a legacy as a team that repeated and would be remembered by sports fan for a long time
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• We have been to three Super Bowls, won 1 should have really won 3, were part of the have's and not have not's now, get more upset with the steering then with the record of games. Know we have a Owner that allows the team to compete at the highest level and we will have our chances going forward. We are not owned by Mike Brown.

Pete may or may not get us back to the dance, but Paul as long as he or his family owns us will bring in the guys to push for it. I think we will see another Super Bowl within the next ten years actually if not sooner.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Aros wrote:I would suspect from of us older 12's (especially around since the beginning) there's no longer the feeling of closing desperation every time we fall short of expectations and/or the playoffs (i.e. "Will I ever see the Seahawks win the Super Bowl before I die?"). Before, at least for me personally, I would go into a serious funk that could last months after a disappointing season. I am finding now, after having witnessed Seahawks Nirvana in the form of a 43-8 beat down to win it all in SBXLVIII, I just don't get as worked up as I used to after enduring a tough or underachieving season.

I'll raise my hand, as I'm one of the older 12's. I've followed this team faithfully since my family moved to Washington State in 1977. For me, I won't completely say that the Seahawks Organization has a "blank check" per se for the rest of my life -- I mean, I want many more Lombardi Trophies just like everyone else -- but MAN, if I'm honest, it's pretty close. Just consider our history. Consider where we came from ... and where we are now. It's unbelievable. I mean, we weren't exactly the Cleveland Browns back in the day, but we were pretty close. We were the Sea-Chickens and everyone knew it. We were the butt of everyone's joke. We were a laughingstock. We were the lovable losers. In a lot of ways, we WERE like the old Chicago Cubs (prior to actually morphing into a World Series caliber team).

You want to talk disappointing?!? How about that Dan McGwire led 2-14 debacle season. You want to see offensive ineptitude? Put THAT ONE in your pipe and smoke it. That team STILL holds the record for the worst offensive performance in NFL History. I was loud and proud back then ... back in the days when you seemingly couldn't find an admitted Seahawks fan anywhere. It was shameful -- almost dirty in a way for many people -- to admit they actually rooted for the Seahawks. Now you see 12's jerseys and Seahawks hats everywhere. How's that for change?

And let's not forget ... the Seattle Seahawks came within an eyelash of not even existing anymore!! I have never been more depressed in my life and watching KING5 and seeing the Seahawks trucks rolling down I-5 South headed for Los Angeles back in 1996 ...
    http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/football/article/Dark-days-10-years-ago-the-Seahawks-nearly-1194634.php

So yeah, you could say that Super Bowl SBXLVIII is going to power me for a long, long time to come. The Seahawks actually won a Super Bowl. Yep. THAT ... considering where we came from ... has pretty much forever altered how I view things now. I'm right there with you Aros. 100%
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• Wizofwest wrote:I get even more worked up than before. Especially given this groups window essentially closed at this point. So much opportunity to be a dynasty. Got to the Super Bowl two straight years. I still can't watch 49, it makes me sick.

The window won’t close as long as we have Wilson
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

• Hawkscanner wrote:
    Aros wrote:I would suspect from of us older 12's (especially around since the beginning) there's no longer the feeling of closing desperation every time we fall short of expectations and/or the playoffs (i.e. "Will I ever see the Seahawks win the Super Bowl before I die?"). Before, at least for me personally, I would go into a serious funk that could last months after a disappointing season. I am finding now, after having witnessed Seahawks Nirvana in the form of a 43-8 beat down to win it all in SBXLVIII, I just don't get as worked up as I used to after enduring a tough or underachieving season.

I'll raise my hand, as I'm one of the older 12's. I've followed this team faithfully since my family moved to Washington State in 1977. For me, I won't completely say that the Seahawks Organization has a "blank check" per se for the rest of my life -- I mean, I want many more Lombardi Trophies just like everyone else -- but MAN, if I'm honest, it's pretty close. Just consider our history. Consider where we came from ... and where we are now. It's unbelievable. I mean, we weren't exactly the Cleveland Browns back in the day, but we were pretty close. We were the Sea-Chickens and everyone knew it. We were the butt of everyone's joke. We were a laughingstock. We were the lovable losers. In a lot of ways, we WERE like the old Chicago Cubs (prior to actually morphing into a World Series caliber team).

You want to talk disappointing?!? How about that Dan McGwire led 2-14 debacle season. You want to see offensive ineptitude? Put THAT ONE in your pipe and smoke it. That team STILL holds the record for the worst offensive performance in NFL History. I was loud and proud back then ... back in the days when you seemingly couldn't find an admitted Seahawks fan anywhere. It was shameful -- almost dirty in a way for many people -- to admit they actually rooted for the Seahawks. Now you see 12's jerseys and Seahawks hats everywhere. How's that for change?

And let's not forget ... the Seattle Seahawks came within an eyelash of not even existing anymore!! I have never been more depressed in my life and watching KING5 and seeing the Seahawks trucks rolling down I-5 South headed for Los Angeles back in 1996 ...
    http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/football/article/Dark-days-10-years-ago-the-Seahawks-nearly-1194634.php

So yeah, you could say that Super Bowl SBXLVIII is going to power me for a long, long time to come. The Seahawks actually won a Super Bowl. Yep. THAT ... considering where we came from ... has pretty much forever altered how I view things now. I'm right there with you Aros. 100%

Fantastic post, really made me smile :irishdrinkers:
    Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• Steve2222 wrote:
    Wizofwest wrote:I get even more worked up than before. Especially given this groups window essentially closed at this point. So much opportunity to be a dynasty. Got to the Super Bowl two straight years. I still can't watch 49, it makes me sick.

The window won’t close as long as we have Wilson

And Allen, Schneider and Pete................but my confidence is waning on putting Pete in this sentence.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• chris98251 wrote: Know we have a Owner that allows the team to compete at the highest level and we will have our chances going forward. We are not owned by Mike Brown.

Constantly keeping Cable and Bevell year after year makes you think we might though. :mrgreen:
    pittpnthrs
    NET Starter

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Aros wrote:I would suspect from of us older 12's (especially around since the beginning) there's no longer the feeling of closing desperation every time we fall short of expectations and/or the playoffs (i.e. "Will I ever see the Seahawks win the Super Bowl before I die?"). Before, at least for me personally, I would go into a serious funk that could last months after a disappointing season. I am finding now, after having witnessed Seahawks Nirvana in the form of a 43-8 beat down to win it all in SBXLVIII, I just don't get as worked up as I used to after enduring a tough or underachieving season.

This exactly describes me.

I'd take me months to recover from another season of the Hawk's ripping my heart out with that constant feeling of dread that we'd never win a SB.

I still get bummed out, but it's nowhere near the depression causing levels of before we won.

Both of these for me. I used to take until about Friday after a loss to start feeling better and about draft time for the season. Now I heal much quicker and don't take any of it so seriously. XLVIII will forever be my tonic. Do I want more of the good stuff? Absolutely. It took 38 years for the first one. I'm patient and enjoy the process way more now.
    Go Hawks!
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

I noticed this after SB 49. As bad as that ended if we didn't have at least one SB win I think that game would have been as devastating or worse than 40.

With all that said I have notice myself having a different critique with the PC era as opposed to any other regime. When the team gets collectively better or worse it seems much easier to accept. However, I have noticed that the past 3 seasons of absolute stagnation regardless of the obstacles has pushed me to the bonkers side a few times. It is like that girlfriend that doesn't want to be in a relationship anymore but at the same time doesn't want to let you go or date someone else. Either suck or get better.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

• I"m still pissed at Baldwin for his crap fest.. which I truely believe lost us the game.
    Pissed off still at Lynch for being arm tackled.
    Pissed off at Kearse for not just rolling into the end zone.. he could have rolled in.
    Pissed off at the last play of course.

I'm pissed off about it, cause, the Hawks would have won the following year SB.
    I'm pissed off about it cause, the fire that made the Hawks who they were was just .. just gone.

Now our Window, is fast closing, with a lot up in the air.
    Nah, I'm very disappointed, we really could have had a dynasty.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• First off, great thread Aros.

XLVIII has definitely made it easier for me to cope. However, I chose "it's complicated" in the poll because of how XLIX ended. It wasn't that we lost - but rather how we lost - that re-ignited the "we've got to get another" flame for me.

As a fan from the beginning, I always would say "just give me one. I'm not greedy - I don't need a dynasty. But please, just once, let us be the team celebrating after the Super Bowl." I repeated that from my seats even as the 49ers drove down the field on us during that final drive of the 2013 NFC Championship game. And then it all happened. With my own eyes, I witnessed a championship parade right through downtown Seattle.

If you start from 2005, in a 9 yr period, we went to 3 Super Bowls and won it once. For a long suffering Hawks fan that waited 21 years in between playoff victories ('84 to 2005), I'll take that. The way this group was built and the way we won XLVIII helped sooth that old wound from the loss to the Steelers. But the nature of the XLIX loss makes it a little less soothing.

I used to always watch the moments directly after a Super Bowl to see the images of ecstatic fans, footage of local bars erupting, the parades a few days after, and it made me feel as if it would never happen here. The fact that I got to experience it does help the end-of-season doldrums now.

But man....give me one more in this era please.....to help wash away an XLIX taste that to some degree will always be there.
    timmat
    NET Rookie

Nope been a fan all my life. Since birth in 1984. I still get pissed/annoyed/bummed. Do I move on quicker? Possibly.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• I stay hungry. Every year is a new mission, previous seasons do not matter. If you are not first, you are last.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• I was about six years old in 1983/1984 when I started becoming aware of the Seahawks.

They kind of didn't suck in the late 80s and that was good. But pretty much everything else between when I was six years old and when I was in my late 20s was complete crap. What I remember most is John Elway twice a year, his horse face smiling as he usually beat the team, making it to playoffs, winning playoff games, and making it to Super Bowls. Middle school was the worse stretch, then it got messed up with the Erickson era in high school. I remember the idea of being excited at the prospect of even having the chance of making the playoffs.

At some point in college I thought about getting a custom jersey with the number zero and the name "INEPT" on it.

I was amazed they made the Super Bowl in 2005. I wasn't surprised at all when they lost it. I was always waiting for the wheels to come off. The wheels always came off.

The playoff win against the Saints with Beastquake was the turning point. It was really different this time; it was pretty apparent they had something they didn't have before. Then the pieces started to fall in and they got Wilson and it just worked out. I think it took me about six months for it to sink in that they won a Super Bowl. I just figured they never would, because it's hard and it was the Seahawks.

The year after when they lost against the Patriots, it wasn't even that big of a deal. They had just won the year before. So I guess it did make things a lot easier once they won one.

I've found that enjoying this stretch has been really key. They have problems, but they're fun to watch. That defense. Lynch. Wilson magic. So many cool things have gone on, even this last season. I know we've been really, really lucky even though people think that they should have done more than they have.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

• I agree with the Post immediately above. I was 7 in 82 when I became a fan. And other than a few years in the 80s we were a non factor until 04. It was painful, especially for me surrounded by Giants fans. Then 48 happened at giants stadium in my backyard and it was surreal. But then 49 happened and to think We could have been the first team in over 20 years to go back to back as a dynasty would have been a story book ending to three decades of mediocrity and some awful football thrown in. As a result I am unable to think about 48 without immediately thinking about 49. Consequently, I am angry our staff ran this into the ground and closed the window. This week and the stubbornness of doing nothing has just angered me more. I will also unfortunately look back at Carroll unfavorably as he simply won a super bowl with insane talent and then sucked after everyone else caught up.
    NJlargent
    NET Veteran

• Really good stuff guys. Very interesting and diverse comments. Great to take a break from the "Fire This Guy - Fire That Guy" threads.

There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Honestly it made it a tad bit worse for me. The joy and feelings I had once that clock hit zero will be a memory I will take to my grave. I'm craving it again dammit, and I want it now.
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• I have watched that SuperBowl about 60 times. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less. But pretty close to those #s. At least 20 times a year, I imagine.

Plus I have digital copies of most of their best games that year. SF, etc.

There is still tremendous joy watching Marshawn run like that and watching that defense just smother opposing teams.

So I am OK with the team losing.

I would actually rather watch the team lose a hard fought, fantastic football game than win a boring, slog of a game. My issue is more seeing the potential on the team and seeing players almost have to overcome their coaches, instead of benefit from them.

So it isn't losses but losses that could have and should have been wins, that really just annoy me.

We won a SB, we don't need another. Though I would love to see (and since there is no chance of us making another SB with this coaching staff, that part does not bother me). What does bother me is that I wanted to at least see the Seahawks continually be among the teams that are at the pinnacle, because they should be.

So for a supposedly good coach, shouldn't at least making a reasonable game of things past the wild card, going to a divisional or conference game and not getting blown out, at least a fair ask?

As pointed out, winning only 1 SB with the talent this team had, is an indicator this coaching staff underachieved.

I don't mind the losing, I mind HOW we lose and I mind watching a team intentionally tie one (or both) hand behind its back and then marvel at how it keeps losing close games. The games are close because we don't leverage our strengths, we continually run into brick walls, and we don't seem to care about producing any tangible results until the end of the game.

It is 2 hours of watching the offense tread water and the defense get sanded down. That sucks to watch, so I quit watching the first half but now I find myself blowing off the 3rd quarter too. Pretty soon, it will only be the last 10 minutes of the 4th?

The SB does make the losing easier. But man, maybe 4 actual real quarters of full football might just prevent the losing in the first place?
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• No! I'm still pissed off at the 2-14 season in '92. I recall between 2-4 of those losses happened on somebody making his career-longest FG, or career-longest KO return, or any number of other fluke plays. We shoulda been at least 4-12, dammit!

Just as I'm still pissed off at: #1 calling a pass for The Play instead of a run; #2 making that called pass the lowest-possible percentage play instead of a naked bootleg to the right where you can pass for a TD, run for a TD, or throw it away and stop the clock; and #3 the guilty party is still here making play calls to poorly-designed plays destined to fail no matter what.

So no, it's non-coping as usual for me. :mrgreen:
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• Good topic Aros. For me, watching the team since Patera, growing up in Seattle and enduring everything including the ridiculous 21 year gap without a playoff win ('84-'05), finally winning the SB was the penultimate. Watching with my family and girlfriend was a memory of a lifetime.

But the XLIX loss was the most emotionally devastating sporting event I've ever been a fan to (watching in person the legendary Zenyatta heartbreakingly lose the '10 Breeders Cup Classic by a neck in her career finale due to jockey error is tied though).

XLIX stung like nothing before or since because it felt like destiny was altered. To see the team miraculously win the NFC title game, to overcome the bad injuries to Lane and Avril, to get the incredible TD before halftime, to have the chance to defeat the hated Cheatriots and the conniving Brady and Belichek--everything was coming into place for a storybook, indelible place in history that was meant to be...and through pure arrogance and stupidity it was all snatched away from us...and I knew immediately we would never get back again and the team would never fully recover--because it is so hard to ever come back.

Had we won, with 2 titles--and back to back would've landed us in sports immortality--right up there with the '72-'73 Dolphins, the 70s Cowboys, '98-'99 Broncos.

With just 1 title, we're no different than the '02 Bucs, the '09 Saints, the '15 Broncos, the '10 Packers, the '06 Colts, etc.-All teams who won only 1 SB in their era and may or may not be even competitive anymore. IMO Pete will never get us there again.

So in sum, had we won XLIX, it would've been much easier to watch this slide before our eyes. We would've had a mark in history forever that no one could take away. Or even had we lost XLIX but ran Lynch at the 1 and still failed, I'd be ok knowing we went down with our best-no regrets. But because we didn’t, it makes the declining Carroll era all the more difficult--knowing what should've happened.

And make no mistake, while we will cherish our 1 title, the world will remember this Seahawk era and Carroll by what happened in XLIX.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• West TX Hawk wrote:And make no mistake, while we will cherish our 1 title, the world will remember this Seahawk era and Carroll by what happened in XLIX.

Amen Image
    pittpnthrs
    NET Starter

• I was fortunate enough to experience XLVIII in the flesh.

Lombardi trophie shaped confetti literally landed on my tongue that night.

Everything since has been a refractory period..
    TalontedNoseRider
    * NET Kook *

• Not for me, and I've been a fan since I knew what football was. My family has season tickets the first 5 years . My issue is the collosal waste of talent we are seeing right now. We SHOULD be playing for the NFC title damn near yearly.
    Ambrose83
    NET Veteran

• I'll forever be grateful to see a Super Bowl win. 2014 NFC Title game was one for the ages. Lots of cool moments for the Seahawks. However I take things season by season and in 2017 the staff/team deserved every ounce of criticism they got.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Winning the Super Bowl has definitely changed my outlook. And it's not so much that we won, it's the feeling that as long as we've got #3, we can win any game, any time.
    "...and now they got a bicycle!"
    Sac
    NET Pro Bowler

• Winning one helped but also increased amplitude knowing we've had the roster every year to do it again since yet usually end up beating ourselves rather than the opponents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DJ_CJ
    NET Starter

• After XL I stopped getting upset and pissed off. That game had me down just like every Seahawks fan. I learned from that. It just isn't worth the emotional trauma to invest that kind of disappointment.

I am in a unique group of fans though. I live in a city with a different team. Friends will come to me as their only source of Seahawks knowledge (if they only knew). They also come to me when the team does something stupid. Everyone I know has an opinion about the Hawks and they feel they need to share it with me because they don't know any other Hawks fan. I can live with that but I won't live with the pain and disappointment of a loss any longer.
    ~ HOLY CATFISH ~
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran

• you nailed it for me. Been a fan since day one, and all I wanted was to experience winning it all. So after the SB victory everything else is gravy to me.

having said that, I still expect this organization to try a maintain a winning product and attitude, we the fans deserve that after decades of disappointment but unwavering loyalty. Just like us Mariner fans deserve that organizations best effort.
    So yes I'll still root and support my teams, but that doesn't mean I have to always look through rose colored glasses when I see things that could be improved.
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• Mad Dog wrote:Totally more chill after a disappointing season.

I'm already over this season and looking forward to an interesting offseason.

I think having a good QB helps with the alleviation of angst, since I know as long as we have RW and get some breaks we have as good a chance as anyone. I'm not going to look forward to the years after Wilson unless we can pull a Favre->Rodgers type transition.

Spot on for me. Word for word my thoughts exactly.

Winning the Superbowl did alleviate some of the dissapointment of this season.

Looking forward to this offseason to see what happens and how the organization responds.
    semiahmoo wrote:I'll say it again - this is Pete's last season in Seattle if the teams doesn't make a legit hard run deep into the playoffs.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Winning the super bowl changed my outlook. I don't get mad or upset if we don't win another down the road. But the Super Bowl XLIX had everything you needed to do to win it. The ball at the 1 yard and then boom! It was a golden opportunity to be back to back champions that just happened to slip through our fingers. But then again, I never had more fun cheering during the Super 48 blowout on Denver. It was a day-night I'll never forget.
    L.O.B.
    raisethe3
    NET Veteran

• raisethe3 wrote:Winning the super bowl changed my outlook. I don't get mad or upset if we don't win another down the road. But the Super Bowl XLIX had everything you needed to do to win it. The ball at the 1 yard and then boom! It was a golden opportunity to be back to back champions that just happened to slip through our fingers. But then again, I never had more fun cheering during the Super 48 blowout on Denver. It was a day-night I'll never forget.

*Raises beer* dilly, dilly!
    "Awww, you so weak!" Richard Sherman to Joe Webb

"Uh, huh, you suck!" Richard Sherman to Pierre Garçon

"Don't f##### try me--I'm the best!" Richard Sherman

Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    TheLegendOfBoom
    NET Veteran

• Losing that second one has made things worse.
    SixSeahawk
    NET Rookie

• Wizofwest wrote:I get even more worked up than before. Especially given this groups window essentially closed at this point. So much opportunity to be a dynasty. Got to the Super Bowl two straight years. I still can't watch 49, it makes me sick.

I have no doubt if we didnt have very end of season injuries to like half our defense we would of Manninged Brady in the superbowl for back to back wins. Towards the end of the 3rd and into the 4th the effect of the injuries were obvious.

Think how close the 49ers were to winning 2 superbowls in a row. I have no doubt they would of also beat Denver and they were at the what...5 yard line to win against the Ravens and couldnt get it in and the 18 or so yard line to beat us to go to the superbowl.

Shit we could of lost back to back NFCCG games it was that close. Just going to the 2nd game was a mircale after the craptastic play of our offense for 3 1/2 of the game against the Packers until Wilson pulled off a miracle

"Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does"
    WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran

• SixSeahawk
    NET Rookie

• I thought it did, but then Superbowl 49 happened. Then I came to grips with that loss and I’ve coped better by a mile.
    pre·vent de·fense
    n. Football
    A defensive formation in which a team prevents their defense from stopping the other team's offense.
    hannibalking
    NET Rookie

• I'm pretty chill, because I subscribe to the theory that all you need to do to demonstrate you're a worthy team is make the playoffs. Everyone here was fine with that theory in 2010. I don't know what the hell happened.

Sure, we've got a ton of talent and it's hard to think about getting only one Lombardi out of it. But I'm fairly sure that my esteemed 12 brethren who cite that, would still be pissed if we'd won five Lombardis. Not all, but some.

Teams with SB-level rosters fall short of the Lombardi every year. The fact that we've had a longer competitive run than anyone else, pretty much validates Carroll's philosophy for me, even as I think he could do better.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• I'm depressed for a while after any loss, in the same way that gamblers are depressed when things don't bounce their way. It's rough knowing that things could have been better if a few minor things had gone differently. I'm still disappointed about the drops in the Bears playoff game in 2010, not because I thought that we were the better team at the time, but because we could have won that game with simply average play from some of our receivers.

I do like the greater NFL product along with the draft.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:I'm pretty chill, because I subscribe to the theory that all you need to do to demonstrate you're a worthy team is make the playoffs. Everyone here was fine with that theory in 2010. I don't know what the hell happened.

Sure, we've got a ton of talent and it's hard to think about getting only one Lombardi out of it. But I'm fairly sure that my esteemed 12 brethren who cite that, would still be pissed if we'd won five Lombardis. Not all, but some.

Teams with SB-level rosters fall short of the Lombardi every year. The fact that we've had a longer competitive run than anyone else, pretty much validates Carroll's philosophy for me, even as I think he could do better.

Especially being in the NFC. THe AFC is a powderpuff playoff every year I feel like...You have the top 3 division winners usually, but the other 3 teams are usually pure trash. Just look at this years AFC. Pats, Steelers, Jags and then you have Titans, Chiefs and Bills, I mean PLEASE.

And usually it has gone like this....Brady team, Big ben team, Mannings team.....

If you go back to Pats first win.....the teams to represent the AFC are

Pats x 7
    Steelers x 3
    Broncos x2, Colts x1 (Mannings teams)

That is 12 appearances by Brady, Ben, or Manning......

Raiders and Ravens the other two teams in that time...Ravens x2 if you include the year before the pats won

By Comparison to the NFC

Seahawks x3
    Giants x2
    Panthers x2
    Cards
    Rams
    Bucs
    Eagles
    Packers
    Bears
    Falcons

"Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does"
    WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran

• I still get pissed but not like I did as a kid..
    I busted a tv before lol.
    I wouldn't do those things today as I realized it doesn't fix anything.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Great question.

Personally, Super Bowl 48 has DEFINITELY changed me as a fan. I am grateful for that Lombardi, and nothing will ever take that away from any of us, fans, players, coaches, etc.....

For me it's almost like we have been to the mountaintop, and we will get there again..... but if we don't we HAVE been there. And what a glorious Super Bowl it was!

I will forever be grateful for that year. And I certainly hope for another... and another.... and another..... etc....

But if we don't make it this season.... I know we will always have another season coming up to try again.
    MOSES
    * NET Sage *

• SixSeahawk wrote:

That still makes me want to run through a wall screaming F....YEAH at the top of my lungs! :2thumbs:
    ben@thetabs
    THE TABS
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Next

It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:52 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information