Question about Kam

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Can a team medically force a player to retire?

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but I see potentially a HUGE fight brewing between Kam and the Hawks if we think he's not fit to play next year, and he refuses to retire because he'll lose his salary.

Obviously it's now in Kam's best interest to just ride this injury out as long as possible so he can collect paychecks. So my question is can we through our team doctors, etc force him to retire?

original poster

Reaction score
No they can't.

It's a situation that I hope doesn't get ugly, both sides need to do the right thing, but I suspect both sides will be looking after number 1.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
original poster":23c9yku5 said:
No they can't.

It's a situation that I hope doesn't get ugly, both sides need to do the right thing, but I suspect both sides will be looking after number 1.

So what happens? We just put him on IR to start the year and eat his salary?

Kam's a good guy, but he's already shown us by holding out that he has no problem putting the Hawk's in a bad situation. Especially if means giving up 9.5M.

stang233

Reaction score
We could do what the Texans did and trade him and a 4th rnd pick to the browns for conditional 2019 7th rounder.

original poster

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2szmg8s3 said:
original poster":2szmg8s3 said:
No they can't.

So what happens? We just put him on IR to start the year and eat his salary?

Kam's a good guy, but he's already shown us by holding out that he has no problem putting the Hawk's in a bad situation. Especially if means giving up 9.5M.

I believe if he refuses to retire, that's exactly what will happen.

It's going to be very interesting to see how it pans out.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
stang233":3l17i82l said:
We could do what the Texans did and trade him and a 4th rnd pick to the browns for conditional 2019 7th rounder.

Not sure if you're joking, but you can't trade a player on IR, nor would a team trade for Kam and his contract at 8-10M a year for three more years.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2mwdvxzg said:
stang233":2mwdvxzg said:

Not sure if you're joking, but you can't trade a player on IR, nor would a team trade for Kam and his contract at 8-10M a year for three more years.

The IR ends with the season. He can be put on pup but that's a new list for the new league year. After the league year is over, Kam could be traded but he'd obviously have to pass a physical. I'm not sure how stingers look to team doctors during physicals. I know that once a player has one they become even more susceptible, but I'm not sure that it would show up enough to fail a physical should he choose to play.

My guess is if he wants to play it gets really mucky, because he is a team leader on that defense and cutting him or trading him after he's injured might be a difficult sell to the rest of the defensive players.

With that said, if I were the Seahawks and Kam chose not to retire, I'd look get the absolute best medical minds together and get an opinion. If that opinion is that he shouldn't play football due to the risk, and he chooses not to retire, the I'd cut him and try to spread the cap hit as much as possible.

That really sucks considering the contract extension, but you can't really plan around things like stingers.

Jville

Reaction score
Just a friendly historic reminder that Lawyer Milloy had a huge positive influence on Kam Chancellor and the rest of the defensive backfield in launching the genesis of the LOB in 2010.

Even if Kam Chancellor never sees the field again, I'm certain Pete Carroll continues to expect Chancellor to provide a leadership role very similar to what Lawyer Milloy provided.

There is a potential silver lining to the next chapter of Kam's story.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":22hciwyy said:
With that said, if I were the Seahawks and Kam chose not to retire, I'd look get the absolute best medical minds together and get an opinion. If that opinion is that he shouldn't play football due to the risk, and he chooses not to retire, the I'd cut him and try to spread the cap hit as much as possible.

I hope it doesn't come to this, but if I was a betting man this is how I think it's going to go down.................and Pete's final presser where he said he thought both Avril and Kam's injury is career threatening tells us that he's already thinking of the roster without Kam.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I dont think theres anything we can do. A contract is a gamble and without some type of clause, he's going to get paid.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
IR is over.
He will need to pass a physical to play again. If he has substantial cervical spine degenerative disease, that will be hard for him to do. Failing his physical means the club can put him on PUP or he can retire. We can also release him but that would mean eating his signing bonus. Unfortunately on PUP his salary still counts against the cap but his roster spot doesn't.

So depending on the dead money implications releasing him, having him on PUP or get him to retire with a settlement would be the options. We likely don't gain much cap relief releasing him this early into his extension. So probably PUP or retirement with a settlement. There is little onus on Kam to retire unless he passes his physical and is concerned about future injury.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Kam_Chancellor/status/949366872272789504[/tweet]

sdog1981

Reaction score
Jville":88tu2dzj said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Kam_Chancellor/status/949366872272789504[/tweet]

I hope so man

original poster

Reaction score
Really wouldn’t read too much into that tweet.

He posts inspirational quotes daily.

Gcheck2181

Reaction score
Kam has a $12M injury guarantee in his contract. For those in the know, how does this affect his status?

Jville

Reaction score
Gcheck2181":1e11hfub said:
Kam has a $12M injury guarantee in his contract. For those in the know, how does this affect his status?

That was addressed in another thread. My thoughts and thoughts of others are posted in a thread here >>> [urltargetblank]http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=145222#p2138819[/urltargetblank]

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":dq5pxwhr said:
stang233":dq5pxwhr said:

The Browns would, though.

hawkpride

Reaction score
So if Kam is not cleared to play and the team still needs to pay him, whatever that amount is, why not make him a position coach?
I know not all players can fill those shoes, but Kam as a team leader, I would think he would be a great fit, as a position coach!!!!

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
The team is mostly screwed. I don’t see any reason why he would retire and help the hawks cap situation. He’s going to sit on pup and collect his free money. It’s going to get ugly.

If he were somehow cleared this month by team doctors, and he refuses to play (because of second opinion), the team would win that one.

I wish he would get better and keep playing honestly!

RussB

Reaction score
This is exactly why they shouldnt have rushed to extend him. Now they are paying 12mil to a guy who is seriously injured. Nobody wants to trade for him, cutting him probably wont do that much because of his contract. And hes obviously not contributing on the field.

Latest posts