RW clocked as fastest NFL QB - when he made a tackle!

semiahmoo

Reaction score
GREAT article posted over at the Seahawks Reddit board. Gets into the difference between combine speed and actual game-time speed, and how different the two can be.

As an aside, I didn't know Cam was that fast. Guess due to his height he seems to be a bit slower. Funny how RW was clocked as the fastest QB on that play when he tackled the guy after throwing an interception.

Check it out - well worth your time...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/04/spor ... .html?_r=0

Sprfunk

Reaction score
Come on, Cam Newton is way faster at deciding not to dive on a fumble IN THE SUPERBOWL!!! And its not even close.

Smellyman

Reaction score
No way. I was told over and over that RW has lost a step.

RW ran a 4.55 combine, Newton 4.59. There is no doubt RW is much more quick and elusive, but once Newton gets his long legs going he is as fast as RW.

chris98251

Reaction score
Smellyman":1cg5fbns said:

RW ran a 4.55 combine, Newton 4.59. There is no doubt RW is much more quick and elusive, but once Newton gets his long legs going he is as fast as RW.

Unless you drop a football on the ground :p

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Smellyman":3smf200u said:

He did lose a step last season. Wilson came into the camp way over weight. His theory is it would let him to stay healthier throughout the season. He had the muscles of a greek god --- unfortunately that came with some severe drawbacks. He lost a lot of his lateral agility, and his burst/speed was impacted in a big way. This season he came into camp at his normal weight and looked like his old self.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":231yvirf said:
Smellyman":231yvirf said:

He did lose a step last season. Wilson came into the camp way over weight. His theory is it would let him to stay healthier throughout the season. He had the muscles of a greek god --- unfortunately that came with some severe drawbacks. He lost a lot of his lateral agility, and his burst/speed was impacted in a big way. This season he came into camp at his normal weight and looked like his old self.

Agreed. Speedy Russ is much better. That also means when he does lost that half-step, which he will in a few more seasons, his longer-term prospects in the league might dim faster than the more standard tall/pocket QB

Which makes the need to build a more quality offense around him ASAP.

The team is jeapordizing Wilson's best years where he might throw up some great stats - but no SB.

Jville

Reaction score
From time to time there appears a reminder that there is a significant difference between best / timed speed and emergency / war speed.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Jville":3q4szhc9 said:
From time to time there appears a reminder that there is a significant difference between best / timed speed and emergency / war speed.

For sure. The punt return Gunners had the top speeds, high 22's and the top WR speed was also measured chasing down an INT return. Made me wonder what Niko Thorpe's #'s are.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Jville":3vxfdw96 said:

Yup. RW def. kicked it into a another gear chasing down that interception.

Guy has no quit in him.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1hlfe5xe said:
Very few care about winning at the level that Russ does.

Agreed. He deserves much better than what the organization has given him to work with.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
I just read the ESPN magazine November article on Tom Brady and how he stays in shape. He even has a book about it.....The TB12 Method. For a guy 40, he is quite the specimen....sure hope that RW can be this strong in 12 more years!!!

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":143tqfcp said:
I just read the ESPN magazine November article on Tom Brady and how he stays in shape. He even has a book about it.....The TB12 Method. For a guy 40, he is quite the specimen....sure hope that RW can be this strong in 12 more years!!!

I just don't see RW adding another 12 seasons in this league given his type of play. He's not a tall pocket/precision passer like Brady. He's a sandlot scrambler. That means when he loses that half-step or more (and he will) in the next 3-5 seasons, his ability to perform at a high level will likely be drastically reduced - not to mention the high risk of injury his style of play also includes.

It's why what is happening with the Seahawks organization is so very crucial right now. If we waste the next 2-3 seasons, RW might not have enough left in the proverbial tank to take us to the Promised Land again.