Our last 5 drafts....

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Potentially losing JS had me thinking about our last few drafts. I didn't realize how bad they have Ben and why we may be on a downhill slide. A lot more misses than anything especially at o line. I denoted a pass for most of this years class for a wait and see. Here is the last 5 yrs....

Malik McDowell-looks like a BUST. Huge character issues regardless.
Ethan Pocic- pass
Nazair Jones- looked good to me
Shaquill Griffin- gonna be a good one
Delano Hill- pass
Amara Darboh- pass
Tedric Thompson- pass
Mike Tyson- pass
Justin Senior- who?
David Moore- pass
Chris Carson- looked like he might be our next Shaun. Maybe

Germain Ifedi- huge BUST
Jarran Reed- looks okay
C.J. Prosise- injury BUST
Nick Vannett- guess we will see next year
Rees Odhiambo- back up plug
Quinton Jefferson- seems to be hurt a lot
Alex Collins- gone...now looks good..
Joey Hunt- no thanks
Kenny Lawler- someone give this guy a burger to eat.
Zac Brooks- gone

Frank Clark- good and will get better
Tyler Lockett- injury slowed him.back on track
Terry Poole- who?
Mark Glowinski- back up plug
Tye Smith- he still around?
Obum Gwacham- who?
Kristjan Sokoli- gone
Ryan Murphy- who?

Paul Richardson- lots of injuries. Now looks good but gone in the off season.
Justin Britt- one of the only decent ol picks.
Cassius Marsh- terrible
Kevin Norwood- just not good
Kevin Pierre-Louis- fizzled out
Jimmy Staten- who?
Garrett Scott- who?
Eric Pinkins- never did much
Kiero Small- pre season hero

Christine Michael- BUST
Jordan Hill-BUST
Chris Harper - BUST
Jesse williams- health issues
Tharold Simon- garbage
Luke Wilson- best pick in this class.
Spencer Ware- character issue then got good
Ryan Seymour- who?
Ty Powell- who?
Jared Smith- who?
Michael Bowtie- was better than other picks at ol.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
This whole organization is still living off the 2011-2012 classes. These last 5 drafts have been awful. Perhaps the whole trade down no matter what philosophy should be discarded and a new draft strategy implemented.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
BUT..but but, we traded down to get a lot of drafts...

I remember being torched insistently for being against this.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
It is known,

but good to reiterate.

Looks especially dismal when you look at it all together like that.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Considering we have been picking nearly last most years I don't think that is bad. Some of those years were not good drafts as a whole. Need to keep a little perspective.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
For another perspective, as of post 2016 season, the Pat's had retained over twice as many players drafted over the drafts from 2013-2016.

Not asking for Probowlers...but the alarming lack of even replacement level depth from those drafts is an undeniable factor for why the Hawks are in the personnel situation we see currently.

Cutting draft picks and trying to find UDFAs or cuts to replace them is not a sustainable plan, imo

Trrrroy

Reaction score
This looks like the success rate of about 31 other nfl teams.

nwHawk

Reaction score
The biggest thing I see is that we are only looking to add complimentary pieces, but at the time of each draft of made sense. We tried to trade for star power. A general observation is we play it "safe". We don't reach for homeruns in the draft very often. You can argue that CJ Procise, Paul Richardson, and Malik McDowell were all big risk big potential picks, by when was the last time we went for a splash player? To be fair, the recent drafts have been filled with busts so who really knows?

Given how weak our receivers are now I really wish we had a dynamic player or two to ADD to Baldwin. Sterling Shepard, Evan Egram, Zay Jones, Allen Robinson, Michael Thomas or Jarvis Landry.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
By looking at them all here it looks a lot worse than I imagined. In my mind, if they draft guys that are at least contributing members of the team, then I look at that draft as somewhat successful. I think way too many people feel that if stars are not drafted at almost every position, then the draft is a bust. The 2011/12 drafts were phenomenal in terms of contributing players and just plain stars that were drafted. It's a bit unrealistic to expect that every draft. It's also unfortunate to get a draft like the 2013 draft. That ranks (reaks?) Right up there with the Owen Gill draft in 84 (?).
Drafts need to be evaluated not only on the players picked but also draft capitol. For example, Cassius Marsh netted us Justin Coleman.
Below I have highlighted a few of my thoughts on these drafts.

Cyrus12":3lu6x749 said:
Potentially losing JS had me thinking about our last few drafts. I didn't realize how bad they have Ben and why we may be on a downhill slide. A lot more misses than anything especially at o line. I denoted a pass for most of this years class for a wait and see. Here is the last 5 yrs....

Malik McDowell-looks like a BUST. Huge character issues regardless.
Ethan Pocic- pass
Nazair Jones- looked good to me
Shaquill Griffin- gonna be a good one
Delano Hill- pass
Amara Darboh- pass
Tedric Thompson- pass
Mike Tyson- pass
Justin Senior- who?
David Moore- pass
Chris Carson- looked like he might be our next Shaun. Maybe

Germain Ifedi- huge BUST Still holding out hope that he will be serviceable. Not ready to label as bust, yet.
Jarran Reed- looks okayvery good part of d line rotation
C.J. Prosise- injury BUST
Nick Vannett- guess we will see next year
Rees Odhiambo- back up pluggot some valuable starting reps before getting injured. May have a future
Quinton Jefferson- seems to be hurt a lotlooked good when available
Alex Collins- gone...now looks good..
Joey Hunt- no thanks
Kenny Lawler- someone give this guy a burger to eat.
Zac Brooks- gone

Frank Clark- good and will get better
Tyler Lockett- injury slowed him.back on track
Terry Poole- who?
Mark Glowinski- back up plug
Tye Smith- he still around?
Obum Gwacham- who?
Kristjan Sokoli- gone
Ryan Murphy- who?

Paul Richardson- lots of injuries. Now looks good but gone in the off season.
Justin Britt- one of the only decent ol picks.
Cassius Marsh- terribledisagree on him being terrible. He contributed while here and ultimately brought Just Coleman in trade
Kevin Norwood- just not good
Kevin Pierre-Louis- fizzled out
Jimmy Staten- who?
Garrett Scott- who?
Eric Pinkins- never did much
Kiero Small- pre season hero

Christine Michael- BUST
Jordan Hill-BUST
Chris Harper - BUST
Jesse williams- health issues
Tharold Simon- garbage
Luke Wilson- best pick in this class.
Spencer Ware- character issue then got good
Ryan Seymour- who?
Ty Powell- who?
Jared Smith- who?
Michael Bowtie- was better than other picks at ol.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
2010 - A+
2011 - A-
2012 - A+++
2013 - F
2014 - C-
2015 - C
2016 - C+
2017 - B

You have to keep in mind that our 2010-2012 drafts were not "the standard" for NFL front offices. They were exceptional, possibly the best trifecta in NFL history, and faulting the front offices for not repeating that every year is like faulting the Patriots for not winning the SB every year.

2013 draft was just awful, though.

Where the 2014-2015 drafts really failed was their total lack of depth. You have to find SOME workable depth in your drafts. Those drafts gave us a couple of starters each - in some cases very good ones (Frank Clark) - but then dropped off entirely after that. That's what's rough. Most of them never even saw the field. Some of that might actually have been because the guys ahead of them were just ridiculously good, so in a sense, the 2010-2012 drafts might have partially blocked the emergence of later drafts. But in the majority of cases, they were just really bad players. Three guys from 2015 didn't even last the season.

2016 was a weird one. A lot of guys saw the field there, but aren't very good or can't stay healthy (or pulled a Spencer Ware and decided to get good with another team). Reed and Jefferson are the solid ones from that draft, because they come at a place (DL) where rotation is almost as valuable as starting. C+ because it's only two years out.

2017 gets a B from me for Jones, Griffin, and Carson. Three undisputed starter-quality guys is solid for a single draft. Pocic has the potential to boost that grade to an A- if he can bulk up. Darboh getting onto the field for 8 catches for 71 yards in a receiving corps as loaded as ours is a promising thing, and better than any other developmental prospect we've drafted. All in all, only one guy from that list is off the roster at this moment (and he with an injury settlement), which is fewer losses by the same date in any of the 2013-2015 drafts. Though I doubt McDowell ever plays a down for us.

Phoenix

Reaction score
Anyone follow Stanford RB - Bryce Love?
2017 - 2118 yds - 19 TD's

Great field vision, fast, strong, raw grit. Loves to score (btw, good blocking schemes)

Late 3rd rounder?

(not sure why it won't work, link setup looks correct)
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiQ43Y_T6fw[/youtube]

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Only thing I can think of for why the drop off is Pete C. During the first 4 years he was pretty familiar with College players but after that, he just wasn't as active with the College players and didn't have the reviews of them as he did before.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
The 2013 draft was a terrible draft as a whole. You can complain about how awful it was but no one had a good draft class that year.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Early to really say much about the last draft but at least 5 good to great rookie seasons from picks 26 - 32. Couple LB'ers, DE, CB and OT all in our "team needs" wheelhouse. Hope McDowell or one of the 3 extra picks (Hill, Thompson and Tyson) turn out.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2p66rhs5 said:
The 2013 draft was a terrible draft as a whole. You can complain about how awful it was but no one had a good draft class that year.

True.

Yet three of their first-round picks ended up in Seattle this year, and two of the most hyped free-agent options for Seattle NEXT year are Eric Reid and Tyler Eifert. :2thumbs:

Scorpion05

Reaction score
With all due respect OP, your post reflects letting bias dictate your point rather than facts

Can you name a team that has consistently hit in the draft the last 5 years? Not really, but I'd love to hear your research on that

Until Malik McDowell takes the field for us, we won't know if he's a bust. Jefferson contributed well, Nazair Jones contributed well. Shaquille Griffin, contrary to the harsh criticism played really well for a rookie. None of the other players have been given enough of a chance yet

Ethan Pocic has huge upside and simply needs strength training in the offseason. The film reveals he has good technique. Germain Ifedi has immense physical talent, and I have not given up on him yet. Otherwise, using that logic Britt would have been a bust. In reality, Britt just needed to be put in the right position.

Calling Tyler Lockett a fail is revisionist hogwash. He was great for us, and simply had a bad injury. He is still a steady contributor and a B player. Paul Richardson was dismissed as a bust by the internet mob until last year, showing that our fan base is incapable of patience at times. But he was also a good draft pickup

Darboh has barely seen the field, so dismissing him this early is ridiculous. Some other players. Have contributed on special teams, which is realistically the best you can hope for at minimum. The Pete Carroll era in early years brought us HOF talent like Kam, BWagz, Sherman, Earl, and Russell. Expecting that kind of home run hit in a draft regularly is silly. There have been few players in the last few years drafted that you can claim to be elite talent that weren't drafted in the first or second round and/or werent traded up for

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
It's easy to say our last 5 drafts have gravitated toward the mean; and in a sense, they have. Any fan would be a fool to expect 2010-2012 draft quality on an on-going basis. And rookies, in fairness, largely need to be eliminated from the equation.

And with the roster the Hawks had- say prior to 2013 - it was tougher to crack. But as stated, it's all about the depth (or lack thereof).

I don't know of a great reference for "draft success" (anyone)?

I have spent some time on PFR: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sea/draft.htm.

Last year, trying to make the same point, I looked at drafts from 2013 to 2016 and looked strictly at players that were still on the drafting team's roster (SOR). I don't have the data at hand (and no time to do it again right now). As I posted earlier, the Patriots had about twice as many players SOR. Looking at it again now (albeit briefly), I can't find a team that has fewer draftees SOR than the Hawks.

I'd like to find a more concise reference, but I do not believe the last 5 drafts have been NFL average for replacing depth- and way below "successful team" average in the same regard.

Granted- it's water under the bridge- but I think it goes a long way to explaining our current personnel issues.

Tinymac2

Reaction score
You build us a team that wins a super bowl, your elite in my book.

Our 1st pick 2013, #62. In 2014, #45. In 2015 #63. How many new guys where making this team in 13,14, and 15?

Marlin Man

Reaction score
can't wait to see how many draft picks we get for an AVERAGE (at best) GM

rossob

Reaction score
Phoenix":1q7l3iqx said:
Anyone follow Stanford RB - Bryce Love?
2017 - 2118 yds - 19 TD's

Great field vision, fast, strong, raw grit. Loves to score (btw, good blocking schemes)

Late 3rd rounder?

(not sure why it won't work, link setup looks correct)
[youtube]BiQ43Y_T6fw[/youtube]
Leaving "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=" out makes it work.

Latest posts