Such a bright future awaits the defensive backfield.

Jville

Reaction score
A big positive growth spurt is on the horizon for the defensive backfield.

Shaquill Griffin made the big jump from Central Florida to starting NFL outside corner back in his first year. With support from Sherman Smith, he realized major growth in his game as the season progressed. As impressive as his growth was, his sophomore campaign should prove to be electrifying.

Delano Hill saw limited playing time with the defense .... as expected. Very physical multi position safety with additional potential as a big nickel. With a year under his belt, competition should power him to a big second year jump.

Tedric Thompson was seen as a ball hawking safety. Although he was carried on the roster as a strong safety, there is little doubt he has the tools for free safety and maybe the slot. Now that he has completed his first year orientation, he should be primed for a second season jump into relevancy.

Mike Tyson spent most of his year on the practice squad as a safety to corner back conversion project. An advantage to identifying late round projections for conversion projects is that other teams tend to leave 1st year projects alone in their first year. They like his feet, his movement skills and cover instincts. Never played corner before. But given the excellent track record of the coaching staff along with the guidance of Richard Sherman, one has to like his sophomore prospects.

All in all, four sophomores under contract with plenty of room to grow together in 2018. All very promising and in the right place under Carroll's mechanism of competition.

The future looks very .... very .... bright!

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
We'll see. Hill, Thompson, and Tyson are unknowns at this point...each had pluses and minuses coming in.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I appreciate your optimism, but we barely saw Thompson, Hill and Tyson..................so not sure how you've come to this conclusion.

Griffin for sure, I loved what I saw. But as I watched the playoffs yesterday seeing all these young nasty defensive backfields like the Saints, Falcons and Jags? We're not even close to that right now with our young players.

Young players have to actually play in order for me to get excited about them.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1wjtyoc4 said:
]I appreciate your optimism, but we barely saw Thompson, Hill and Tyson..................so not sure how you've come to this conclusion.

Griffin for sure, I loved what I saw. But as I watched the playoffs yesterday seeing all these young nasty defensive backfields like the Saints, Falcons and Jags? We're not even close to that right now with our young players.

Young players have to actually play in order for me to get excited about them.

Well I don't to be honest. I'm getting real tired of those that continue to pound the drum that next year we will be so much better do to osmosis like we've been hearing about our oline for 3 straight years.

I'm a bit sick of hearing this to be honest.

Show me. :pukeface:

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
That's ok. All those sophomores are just getting started. Their stories have just finished the first chapter. :2thumbs:

We are all unique. I'm so excited about daily prospects. I never have been able to lay around waiting for the sun to come up. Speaking for myself, I'm still working at becoming a better man ..... and still have plenty of upside.

Go Hawks!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jville":1dvzaz4o said:
That's ok. All those sophomores are just getting started. Their stories have just finished the first chapter. :2thumbs:

We are all unique. I'm so excited about daily prospects. I never have been able to lay around waiting for the sun to come up. Speaking for myself, I'm still working at becoming a better man ..... and still have plenty of upside.

Go Hawks!

That's cool, but the NFL is the ultimate meritocracy, if you're good? You play.

The fact that we barely saw any of these guys when there was ample opportunity for them to play with all the injuries we had in the defensive backfield should tell you that they're either not very good, or not ready. Or both.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
The whole OP is predicated on linear improvement, but the phrase "sophomore slump" exists for a reason. All we have right now are fixed points on a grid, with no way of knowing whether they'll trend up or down.

I will concede, though, that Griffin appeared to get much more comfortable after being thrust into the starting role. Here's hoping.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":37r3hga1 said:
Jville":37r3hga1 said:

Go Hawks!

The fact that we barely saw any of these guys when there was ample opportunity for them to play with all the injuries we had in the defensive backfield should tell you that they're either not very good, or not ready. Or both.

They drafted these 4 defensive backs because of what they envisioned they could become and how they envisioned they will fit. We witnessed an all time great 43 single high defense for about 4 years. These 4 sophomores are part of a latter day competition to build an all time great nickle defense. Now that they have completed their orientation year, a big 2018 impact is in the offering. I'm looking out the windshield at an evolving league. Learn and adapt.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Is there a list of practice squad players or players who are deemed with potential that after 3 or 4 years break out into being starting caliber players?

I know in baseball, there are some players who after 30 finally figure it out, but it seems in football, you either have it or you don't.. after 30 it's to late.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jville":2hiplv1h said:
They drafted these 4 defensive backs because of what they envisioned they could become and how they envisioned they will fit. We witnessed an all time great 43 single high defense for about 4 years. These 4 sophomores are part of a latter day competition to build an all time great nickle defense. Now that they have completed their orientation year, a big 2018 impact is in the offering. I'm looking out the windshield at an evolving league. Learn and adapt.

Not sure what an "orientation year" means.

All four players were drafted to come into camp and compete for starting jobs because Pete and John saw that the LOB was old and probably on their last leg as a unit..............only Griffin was successful.

Again, the fact that the other three struggled to compete and play significant snaps when there was ample opportunity to do so should be a red flag that they might not be the next wave of LOB.

It's good to have quality depth, but I didn't see anything from Thompson, Hill or Tyson that I'm excited about as starters. Not sure how you can think otherwise with also having seen zero out of them either.

Seymour

Reaction score
Jville":2ys59d2k said:
Sgt. Largent":2ys59d2k said:
Jville":2ys59d2k said:

Go Hawks!

They draft every single player with that in mind.

Newsflash. The "latter day all time great" backfield isn't here yet.

Snakeoil2

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2o41xsrf said:
Jville":2o41xsrf said:

Not sure what an "orientation year" means.

All four players were drafted to come into camp and compete for starting jobs because Pete and John saw that the LOB was old and probably on their last leg as a unit..............only Griffin was successful.

Again, the fact that the other three struggled to compete and play significant snaps when there was ample opportunity to do so should be a red flag that they might not be the next wave of LOB.

It's good to have quality depth, but I didn't see anything from Thompson, Hill or Tyson that I'm excited about as starters. Not sure how you can think otherwise with also having seen zero out of them either.

I don't know that they struggled so much as they aligned themselves in a developmental pipeline of defensive backs. The unknown contributes to the joy of being a fan. Not being privy to every practice and position room meeting leaves us with a lot of questions we can't answer. I'm looking at their development as a multi-year process. I don't subject them to any kind of go no go gauge.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
I have a commitment to take a senior from my wheels on meals route to her doctors appointment. I'll check back in later today.

In the mean time, volunteer to stay positive and take care of one another.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jville":21qs9bwb said:
Not being privy to every practice and position room meeting leaves us with a lot of questions we can't answer. I'm looking at their development as a multi-year process. I don't subject them to any kind of go no go gauge.

Fair enough, but the ultimate gauge is actually playing.

So sorry, I can't get excited about any player until I see them play meaningful snaps. Hopefully we will next year.

stang233

Reaction score
Just think if they don't blow our first pick and drafted King and Grif. This team is a joke in the first round.

Seymour

Reaction score
stang233":ors62luq said:
Just think if they don't blow our first pick and drafted King and Grif. This team is a joke in the first round.

Haven't you heard? McDowell is still going to be a stud. Never mind he can't make the field, has the maturity level of an 11 year old, along with an IQ about the same.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Back on topic .......

The Seahawks have such an inspiring history. It foretells of a continuing bright future for Seahawk defense. Carroll's program has produced so many excellent defensive backs. The defensive program has been heavily studied thru out the league. A successful history that has also propelled the career of successful coaches. Richard did a remarkable job in working thru an injury plagued year. Defensive Coordinator Robert Saleh began the process of turning the corner in San Francisco. And, Marquand Manuel ...... what a job he has done as defensive coordinator the Atlanta Falcons. Marquand is finally getting the over due recognition he deserves.

So much successful confirmation surrounds Pete's program. A program committed to helping people be the best they can be thru competition. So many reasons to look forward to a bright future in 2018. Including, the four young backs returning to the right program at the right time.

This is gonna be such a positive and uplifting year!

truehawksfan

Reaction score
I know this doesn't make sense but I agree with both sides.

1. We have little to see so, we don't know if they're good.
2. Just because we didn't see them play doesn't mean they're not good. Richard Sherman was 3rd on the depth chart behind Marcus Trufant and Walter Thurmond. He was forced to play when both were hurt. If not for the injuries, Sherm wouldn't play.
While Earl and BamBam were hurt this happened on separate occasions not at the same time. If so, it would have forced the team to play McDougal and Thompson/Hill....but that didn't happen.

What the team does this off season will confirm if the coaching staff has confidence in either player.

mikeak

Reaction score
Any thoughts on Sherman having his contract redone to stay long term but moving him from CB to safety. Provides depth on the team if backfill is needed on the CB position and should allow him at slower speed to play the game longer after a significant injury