One stat I'm sick and tired of hearing...

ivotuk

Reaction score
"Tom Cable has had Top 10 running games everywhere he's gone."

Here's a fact for you, take away his running Quarterbacks, Michael Vick and Russell Wilson, and a Hall of Fame Running Back, Marshawn Lynch, AND take away some of the highly drafted, and highly paid Offensive Linemen he's had here and there, and his stats are GARBAGE.

LIstening to Danny Dave and Moore this morning, "Cut the Cable" which is a take off from the DirectTV commercials, I just can't fathom keeping him around any longer.

In Oakland he had some real talent on the Line along with a Tight End named Zach Miller blocking.

He's stubborn and won't adapt, so he needs some time to evaluate how things have gotten to where they are.

I don't want my Once-In-A-Lifetime QB to have his career shortened because Pete Carroll is loyal to his coaches.

If you're on the fence about Tom Cable, listen to this:

DANNY, DAVE AND MOORE -- January 8, 2018 - Hour 1

Should the Seahawks be cord cutters and get rid of their Cable? Where are you with Tom Cable and his role on the Seahawks offensive coaching staff? Danny and Jim start off Monday by taking a look at if Seattle should bring back their offensive line coach after two subpar seasons in a row.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/category/ ... +and+Moore

RussB

Reaction score
Im tired of the media calling him one of the best offensive line coaches in the NFL. Every time they mention him they say that i just cant see why. He sucks donkey balls.

sdog1981

Reaction score
710 AM came down hard on Cable yesterday.

Total conspiracy theory is this: If the flagship station of the Seattle Seahawks is calling for him to be fired then he is already fired and the Gus Bradley as DC/Assitant Head coach will happen.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
One can hope. Of course, people assume that Clayton saying there will be no changes means it's gospel.

Seymour

Reaction score
I'm not on the fence on Cable. Been calling for his head very loud for 2 years now. The guy just sucks and there is no nice way to put it.

Here is why Al Davis fired Cable. Real nice dude to have part of the family. I can see why Pete hangs onto him. :sarcasm_off:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/s...oose-on-why-he-fired-Tom-Cable?urn=nfl-309621

Davis also talked about how he wasn't happy with Oakland's offensive output under Cable, and philosophical differences he had with Cable on run-blocking schemes.

First, there was Cable's alleged assault of former assistant coach Randy Hanson. No one knows for sure how it happened -- not even Al Davis -- but Hanson emerged from a meeting with Cable with a broken jaw and busted teeth, and then sued Cable and the organization. No criminal charges were ever filed. This took place before the 2009 season.

Davis was also troubled by the allegations of Marie Lutz, a former girlfriend of Cable's. I'll let Davis take you through that, courtesy of Rob Calonge of examiner.com:

"Now, one of the things revealed by Ms. Lutz was too much for me. And that was whether, I don't know if it's true, we're going to find out but Tom was asked about it and refused to answer it.

"He brought her on trips on the road when the team's playing on the road, he's the head coach and this is the guy who's talking about focus, we've got a job to do, we've got a game to play, we've got to win, and they're flying in friends so they can be with him the night before the game.

"All of this stuff goes a long way against my wishes, against my way of living, against my life and against the Raider way and I just wasn't going to take it anymore.
"

Lastly...hell yes he is going to get our QB killed with his bottom of the league pass protection year after year.
Russell is already showing the effects in first half, and calms down in the 2nd half...game after game.

DSo5YPRUMAArqo-.jpg:large

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't think you need to convince anyone on here that Cable should go, it's pretty much unanimous from the fan's side of things.

It's the same thing I say about Bevell now, you just can't remain stagnant with the same tired predictable schemes and offense building philosophies that have now failed for three straight years........especially in the run game.

Seymour

Reaction score
sdog1981":2b3kzw36 said:

Total conspiracy theory is this: If the flagship station of the Seattle Seahawks is calling for him to be fired then he is already fired and the Gus Bradley as DC/Assitant Head coach will happen.

I listen mainly to 950, but that is really good news to hear the mainstream local media is now aligning to the obvious problem of Tom C :pukeface: ble.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I always cringe when people talk about "take away such and such and this guy sucks". The truth is we have no way of knowing how much either effected each other. Maybe part of why those guys were good because of Cable? Maybe not, but you don't know. What if you take away Pippen, Rodman, and Kerr from Michael Jordan? Would he then suck because teams could solely focus on stopping him? Or what about Phil Jackson? Is he really a terrible coach because he had Michael Jordan, Shaq, and Kobe Bryant on his championship teams and never did it without a superstar?

Now, with that said I do hate that people add the QB's rushing yards in with the total rushing yards and claim Cable has had "great rushing teams". That I think is BS. Maybe if you could cut out the portion of designed QB rushes that were actually called then you could add in those yards and see where his rushing attack sits. However, at least 75% of those yards from the QB's, if not more, came from scrambles, which is actually a break down of his offensive line and simply the pure talent of the QB's involved. That shouldn't be attributed to Cable's "genius" at all. That I agree fully.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Seymour":2kmi3e6r said:
sdog1981":2kmi3e6r said:

I listen mainly to 950, but that is really good news to hear the mainstream local media is now aligning to the obvious problem of Tom C :pukeface: ble.

They are the official radio partner of the Seattle Seahawks so that is why I think it is a bigger deal then say if 950 was doing it.

Seymour

Reaction score
sdog1981":cirgx0ft said:
Seymour":cirgx0ft said:
sdog1981":cirgx0ft said:

They are the official radio partner of the Seattle Seahawks so that is why I think it is a bigger deal then say if 950 was doing it.

Agree. They at least will be a bit more careful when it comes to calling for heads than others with less vested interest would be.

All that said, the clock is ticking and each day that passes, the chances get further reduced that meaningful change will occur.

I'm running low on hope personally.

Chapow

Reaction score
ivotuk":d3sv1re5 said:

Here's a fact for you, take away his running Quarterbacks, Michael Vick and Russell Wilson, and a Hall of Fame Running Back, Marshawn Lynch, AND take away some of the highly drafted, and highly paid Offensive Linemen he's had here and there, and his stats are GARBAGE.

While I completely agree with the spirit of the post and I would be ecstatic to hear Cable is gone, I can't get behind this argument at all.

This is basically like saying, take away Russell Wilson, Marshawn Lynch, Doug Baldwin, Bobby Wagner, Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, and Richard Sherman, and Pete Carroll's teams are garbage.

You could make this same argument for any successful coach ever.

Seymour

Reaction score
Chapow":3tg27l93 said:
ivotuk":3tg27l93 said:

While I completely agree with the spirit of the post and I would be ecstatic to hear Cable is gone, I can't get behind this argument at all.

This is basically like saying, take away Russell Wilson, Marshawn Lynch, Doug Baldwin, Bobby Wagner, Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, and Richard Sherman, and Pete Carroll's teams are garbage.

You don't have to take anyone away in pass protection stats to see he is on average bottom 5 in pass protection year after year. Tom Cable's 10 year average in pass protection is #26.9 or 4th worst pass protection in the entire NFL!!!!!!!!!

That is flat out incompetent and dangerous to those that rely on some level of protection.

Now add in bottom 10 in run blocking 2 straight years (plus lines are getting worse) and there is no excuse left to keep this imposter. Yes, I said imposter since he's pretending to be a championship level coach (and sadly Pete is dumb enough to pay him as such).

Chapow

Reaction score
Seymour":sbkdxu6c said:
Chapow":sbkdxu6c said:
ivotuk":sbkdxu6c said:

You don't have to take anyone away in pass protection stats to see he is on average bottom 5 in pass protection year after year. Tom Cable's 10 year average in pass protection is #26.9 or 4th worst pass protection in the entire NFL!!!!!!!!!

That is flat out incompetent and dangerous to those that rely on some level of protection.

Now add in bottom 10 in run blocking 2 straight years (plus lines are getting worse) and there is no excuse left to keep this imposter. Yes, I said imposter since he's pretending to be a championship level coach (and sadly Pete is dumb enough to pay him as such).

It was the specific argument of "Take away half a dozen of his best players..." that I took issue with, not the sentiment that Cable should be gone. Not really sure how I could have made that any more clear. I specifically said I would be ecstatic to hear Cable is gone.

adeltaY

Reaction score
DJ is right in that ideally we'd remove QB scramble yards as those are called pass plays, whereas zone reads and other designed runs fall under Cable's run game. I think the point ivo was trying to make is that Cable benefited from the running abilities of Vick and Russ and that it's easier to coordinate a run game when the defense has to account for the QB running than for just the RBs running.

For example, the Dallas Cowboys had a fantastic run game in 2014 and Romo wasn't much of a running threat, even though he was great at moving around in the pocket. He had 61 yards on what I'm almost certain were all scrambles. I doubt they called designed runs for Tony. Compare that to the Seahawks run game the same year, which produced over 400 more yards due to Russ running for an insane 849 yards. I wish I could find stats for scramble yards vs. designed runs, but I can't. Let's say 50% of the yards were scrambles (it's probably more) and subtract them from the total rushing total. That would make the yardage totals around the same. Which is more impressive? I'd say the Cowboys because they didn't have the QB run threat.

Seymour

Reaction score
Chapow":3h91ft3w said:
Seymour":3h91ft3w said:
Chapow":3h91ft3w said:
ivotuk":3h91ft3w said:

It was the specific argument of "Take away half a dozen of his best players..." that I took issue with, not the sentiment that Cable should be gone. Not really sure how I could have made that any more clear.
I specifically said I would be ecstatic to hear Cable is gone.

You were clear and I have no issue with your post. I'm making the point it matters not since under many many conditions he should be gone. He also has poor RB support in 2016 and 2017 and his rush blocking numbers have plummeted to bottom 10, so there is that also.

Chapow

Reaction score
adeltaY":3rpzw3aj said:
DJ is right in that ideally we'd remove QB scramble yards as those are called pass plays, whereas zone reads and other designed runs fall under Cable's run game. I think the point ivo was trying to make is that Cable benefited from the running abilities of Vick and Russ and that it's easier to coordinate a run game when the defense has to account for the QB running than for just the RBs running.

For example, the Dallas Cowboys had a fantastic run game in 2014 and Romo wasn't much of a running threat, even though he was great at moving around in the pocket. He had 61 yards on what I'm almost certain were all scrambles. I doubt they called designed runs for Tony. Compare that to the Seahawks run game the same year, which produced over 400 more yards due to Russ running for an insane 849 yards. I wish I could find stats for scramble yards vs. designed runs, but I can't. Let's say 50% of the yards were scrambles (it's probably more) and subtract them from the total rushing total. That would make the yardage totals around the same. Which is more impressive? I'd say the Cowboys because they didn't have the QB run threat.

Didn't the Cowboys have a pretty dominant offensive line?

Take away that offensive line and their running game would have been garbage.

See what I did there? ;)

Anyway, I think Cable has done a poor job here, glaringly so over the past 2 seasons, and I would very much like to see him gone. I hope he takes Ifedi with him on his way out.

adeltaY

Reaction score
True, but the OL run blocking falls under the OL coach/ run game coordinator. The QB scrambling on called pass plays has little to do with the OL run blocking.

Meeker

Reaction score
This was used around here for a long time as to why our offensive line was a good run blocking unit...and Cable was doing a decent job. Was really frustrating to read. Outside of Wilson, Marshawn made his own yards with little to work with.