Cabel/Bevell a different look

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I didn't want to add this to the plethora of o-line threads, Bevell threads and Cable threads because I haven't really seen it discussed and thought it merits its own thread.

Tom Cable has the job title of O-line coach/assistant head coach. Darrell Bevell has the title of offensive coordinator. Perhaps just a little tweaking of titles and responsibilities would have the required affect we are all looking for. A guy can dream, can't he?! If I remember correctly, Cable is also the run game coordinator. It seems to me that that duty should fall under the OC's job duties. Could it be a case of too many cooks spoiling the pot kind of thing? Cable seems to get accolades all the time from national pundits that he is a great o-line coach. Ask any Seahawks fan and they will spit out their coffee in your face laughing and crying hysterically at the same time!

On some level, could Bevell and Cable be at odds in their respective approaches to the offense. A case of one hand not knowing what the other hand is doing? Perhaps their teaching styles are contradictory to each other and the passing game and running game can't compliment each other because they are coming from diametrically opposed ideas.

Maybe, just maybe letting Cable focus solely on the o-line, which the experts think he is so good at, and putting the running game squarely into the OC's hands will free up the offense to actually perform at a functional level. Together, Cable and Bevell are dysfunctional. Maybe separating their duties will lend a little function to their respective jobs.

Or just fire one or the other or both. One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. So perhaps a good way to describe the Seahawks offense...insane.

Seymour

Reaction score
Does this title change / tweaking effect the absolute atrocious oline drafting and free agent signings (Brown gets the one pass) and brutal blocking scheme's that attributes to player injury that is destroying our #1 asset Russell Wilson?

Russell's family would like to know.

Also, please show us these "experts" that still believe in Cable. That is a myth that threads like this just make worse.

OP
OP
oldhawkfan

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Seymour":8unpj9l0 said:
Does this title change / tweaking effect the absolute atrocious oline drafting and free agent signings (Brown gets the one pass) and brutal blocking scheme's that attributes to player injury that is destroying our #1 asset Russell Wilson?

Russell's family would like to know.

Also, please show us these "experts" that still believe in Cable. That is a myth that threads like this just make worse.

There is that. I don't have any links but I do have my memory that tells me I have heard them on radio and tv. I don't believe its a myth at all that experts say it. The myth is in their understanding of his abilities. Perhaps a lessoning of his work load and a removal of his assessment of potential players would allow him to just work on developing players. I'm not saying this is the solution, but if they aren't going to fire him then at least restructure his job description to maybe let him succeed.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I don't know what transpired last year, but our RB Coach was sent packing, and Cable took over his duties as well.
Cable has shown that he could formulate a better than average Run Game..........BUT, he had a once in a generation, No, Once in a LIFETIME RB in Marshawn Lynch that made all the pieces WORK....Now he's standing out there with his butt in the wind.
Bevell is charged with taking the square pegs, and fitting them into the round holes, provided by Tom Cable's misfit Coaching system to generate some semblance of an Offense.
Doug Baldwin has vigorously pointed out, "Bevell isn't the problem"
So, now it comes down to either Pete Carroll, OR Tom Cable.
When you factor in the pushing of Tom Cable by Doug Baldwin on the sidelines when Wilson was addressing the messed up O-Line play, you get to the lowest common denominator......... Tom Cable.

original poster

Reaction score
Maybe.

I’d happily see a year of the offense with Bevell having total (and I mean total) control.

I’m still certain Csble won’t be on the coaching staff come the 2018 season, though.

nrayorr

Reaction score
OK, my two cents is that Bevell isn't the problem either. Back in my day of playing the OC came up with the playbook, had the head coach approve and then gave it to the OL coach and said, "Create blocking that will work with this book." If a player can't block in a way that is in line with the playbook you either coach him up or go to someone who can. Why do I write this? Because that is a big part of the JOB the O-line coach has. Why can't it be like this with our team? I like the idea to let Bevell have complete control of the offense and letting Cable go.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I'm not sure how much good it will do but yes the OC should be making the calls with the exception of situational conditions where the HC wants something specific. This offensive setup the Seahawks have in regards to play calling is very unusually and there is probably a reason no one does it.

I can't even really picture how the whole thing works out. Does Bevell yell down to Cable, "hey I want to run the ball, what's your play". Or does Cable basically brush Bevell aside and say, "no, we are gonna run not pass, here's the play". I'm sure it's not either or but just seems like a cluster no matter what you do. A third person in communication usually ends up in dysfunction.

original poster

Reaction score
It would be very interesting to hear what both Bev and Cable think of each other, wouldn’t it?

Seymour

Reaction score
original poster":2adr06qr said:
It would be very interesting to hear what both Bev and Cable think of each other, wouldn’t it?

It would be a fight to the finish!!

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAMoAAAAJDM5YzE5N2VhLWIzYzAtNDFmMC1hYmUzLTFhMTljMzZjZjI2Mw.jpg

mrt144

Reaction score
Seymour":2rxxchyk said:
original poster":2rxxchyk said:

It would be a fight to the finish!!

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAMoAAAAJDM5YzE5N2VhLWIzYzAtNDFmMC1hYmUzLTFhMTljMzZjZjI2Mw.jpg

:lol: Not a dry eye in the house.

edogg23

Reaction score
I just don't see how I could have any level of optimism or excitement for next season if these two clowns are around in any capacity.

mrt144

Reaction score
edogg23":941x5vzc said:
I just don't see how I could have any level of optimism or excitement for next season if these two clowns are around in any capacity.

For me, the far more likely experience is having hope of a turnaround up until that's dashed by game 3 or 4 where the old problems remain and there's at least one smoldering fire somewhere else.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
We can't make any assumptions since we don't know better but it very well could be a rift between coaches.

It's absurd, I think the coaches for the most part see what we see as fans (how can they not) and also want changes.

All these problems have a single common denominator that will not relent.