Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

OC Candidates + Further Questions

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: OC Candidates + Further Questions
Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:28 pm
  • Brett wrote:
    getnasty wrote:Greg Roman has experience with moblie quarterbacks and has had great rushing attackes at both his stops. His biggest problem is he's never had a quarterback.

No thanks, the 9er fans hated him more than we hated Bevell.

He was run game coordinator in Baltimore this year too. If you can make Alex Collins look good your doing something right.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:29 pm
  • If Peyton Manning gets back into the league it will probably be as a GM.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:53 pm
  • Brett wrote:
    getnasty wrote:Greg Roman has experience with moblie quarterbacks and has had great rushing attackes at both his stops. His biggest problem is he's never had a quarterback.

No thanks, the 9er fans hated him more than we hated Bevell.

That sir, is not possible! 8)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:05 pm
  • Based on how PC/JS draft, and often grab players that few of us would have on our boards, how will this philosophy carry over to FO staff?

I'm preparing myself to say, "who?" when I hear Pete's choices to fill the vacancies.
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:22 pm
  • John DeFilippo would be a fantastic hire if he somehow escapes the head coaching search without a job, plus he's young enough that once Pete decides to eventually retire he can slide in as his successor easily. Perhaps that could be a selling point for the Hawks "come here and be our OC for a couple of years and then we'll hand over the keys to the head coach's office in X number of years."
    BC-Hawk
    NET Starter

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:13 pm
  • I’m not sure why people are naming all these current OCs in other franchises, I mean how often do these coaches make lateral moves to a new team with unpredictable results instead of staying in a more stable and predictable situation.
    Anchovy of Terror
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:19 pm
  • Anchovy of Terror wrote:I’m not sure why people are naming all these current OCs in other franchises, I mean how often do these coaches make lateral moves to a new team with unpredictable results instead of staying in a more stable and predictable situation.

To get the opportunity to call plays for Russell Wilson. There's not a lot of proven franchise qb's in the game.
    nIdahoSeahawk
    NET Starter

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:32 pm
  • Anchovy of Terror wrote:I’m not sure why people are naming all these current OCs in other franchises, I mean how often do these coaches make lateral moves to a new team with unpredictable results instead of staying in a more stable and predictable situation.

You can add head coaches of top 25 college programs to this list too.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:05 pm
  • Would Kubiak want to come back to coaching? He's someone whose philosophy seems in-line with Pete. But he's got a sweet gig in Denver's front office.
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:13 pm
  • nanomoz wrote:Would Kubiak want to come back to coaching? He's someone whose philosophy seems in-line with Pete. But he's got a sweet gig in Denver's front office.

Didn't Kubiak leave due to health concerns??

I doubt he'll come back.
    "Awww, you so weak!" Richard Sherman to Joe Webb

"Uh, huh, you suck!" Richard Sherman to Pierre Garçon

"Don't f***** try me--I'm the best!" Richard Sherman

Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    TheLegendOfBoom
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:56 pm
  • getnasty wrote:
    Anchovy of Terror wrote:I’m not sure why people are naming all these current OCs in other franchises, I mean how often do these coaches make lateral moves to a new team with unpredictable results instead of staying in a more stable and predictable situation.

Top 10 even lols
    randomation
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:57 pm
  • getnasty wrote:
    Anchovy of Terror wrote:I’m not sure why people are naming all these current OCs in other franchises, I mean how often do these coaches make lateral moves to a new team with unpredictable results instead of staying in a more stable and predictable situation.

No better opportunity than with a potential perennial SB contender. Getting experience and credit then the chance to become head coach in the future. Maybe even coach of Seahawks when PC retires or gets injured from all the running he does on the sidelines.
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:59 pm
  • OKHawksfan wrote:I will throw a wild-card out there: Former EWU head coach and current Cal OC Beau Baldwin. He's possibly in the mix for the Arizona Wildcats HC job, but would be an interesting option. He did win a National Championship (FCS) with EWU in 2010.
    His In-laws live right across the street from us. He's a damn good coach

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Diezel Dawg
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:20 am
  • They should go after this bloke, Bill Bedenbaugh from Oklahoma.

The Oklahoma Sooners offense is insanely good. They scored 80 TD's (almost 10 better than second place) and average 8.29 yards per play (almost 1 whole yard better than the next team) and 11.70 yards per pass attempt (again almost 1 yard better than the next team).

He's the co-OC AND O-line coach.

In 2016, their offensive line overcame early season shuffling due to injuries to help Sooners to one of most productive offensive years in school history, ranking first nationally in passing efficiency rating (mark of 193.79 set an FBS record) and pass completion percentage (.706), second in total offense (554.8 ypg) and third in scoring offense (43.9 ppg). OU also led the Big 12 by allowing just 1.6 sacks per game.

And OU registered its top two rushing seasons since Bedenbaugh joined the staff. The Sooners led the Big 12 and ranked 10th in the nation in 2014, averaging 261.2 rushing ypg. The schools who outrank them are those that just don't throw it and run every time.
    Hawk54
    NET Bench Warmer

Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:22 am
  • hawknation2018 wrote:Hire this nerd!
    Pete Carmichael, Jr.

One of the most brilliant offensive minds in football. Has worked with an undersized QB. Dominant zone rushing attack. Extremely creative & practical. Could be hired as OC if the Seahawks promote him to ACH. It's an opportunity to blaze his own trail outside the shadow of Sean Payton.

I like the name Pete Carmichael, but even with the “Assistant HC” title that would still be a lateral move he may not want to take.

But, what about his understudy, QB coach, Joe Lombardi. 46 years old from Seattle (played for Seattle Prep). It may just be a coincidence that Brees had some of his best years (highest completion percentages in the NFL) under his tutelage, and one of the two years he was an OC for Detroit was Stafford’s only probowl year.

Could he do the same for Seattle’s own, slightly shorter than most, quarterback?
    "Est autem fides credere quod nondum vides; cuius fidei merces est videre quod credis."
    Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.
    (St. Augustine of Hippo)

"Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim."
    (“Ovid”)
    FidelisHawk
    NET Starter

Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:29 am
  • Just for conversation what about a name like Brian Forentz? For a title similar to Cables offensive line /running game coordinator. The offensive coordinator for Iowa under his father the head coach. He's played offensive line, he's coached offensive line, the son of a head coach.
    EMTHawkfan
    Army SPC-4 '90-'93

Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:50 am
  • BC-Hawk wrote:John DeFilippo would be a fantastic hire if he somehow escapes the head coaching search without a job, plus he's young enough that once Pete decides to eventually retire he can slide in as his successor easily. Perhaps that could be a selling point for the Hawks "come here and be our OC for a couple of years and then we'll hand over the keys to the head coach's office in X number of years."

DeFilippo would get a HC job the very next year with another team. Unless you fired Carroll to promote him to HC. I don't see it happening.

DeFilppo would be a 1 yr rental.

Give me the failed HC that was an awesome OC. That way no one would be looking to steal him away from your org after only 1 yr.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:35 am
  • Fade wrote:
    BC-Hawk wrote:John DeFilippo would be a fantastic hire if he somehow escapes the head coaching search without a job, plus he's young enough that once Pete decides to eventually retire he can slide in as his successor easily. Perhaps that could be a selling point for the Hawks "come here and be our OC for a couple of years and then we'll hand over the keys to the head coach's office in X number of years."

DeFilippo would get a HC job the very next year with another team. Unless you fired Carroll to promote him to HC. I don't see it happening.

Give me the failed HC that was an awesome OC. That way no one would be looking to steal him away from your org after only 1 yr.

This is absolutely terrible logic I'm sorry. You can't take a lesser coach because you think they may stay a little longer. Hire the best people possible, if that's DeFilippo - that's who you hire.
    ImTheScientist wrote:This guy is the closest thing to beast mode we will ever see. You got a glimpse of that yesterday. He was instantly my favorite player when they signed him. Give the dude a chance and don't overreact or overthink preseason. Go Hawks. Lacy will rush for 1,100 and 10TDs. Bend the knee.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:40 am
  • As far as Kubiak goes .. that's not happening.

ImTheScientist wrote:This guy is the closest thing to beast mode we will ever see. You got a glimpse of that yesterday. He was instantly my favorite player when they signed him. Give the dude a chance and don't overreact or overthink preseason. Go Hawks. Lacy will rush for 1,100 and 10TDs. Bend the knee.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:13 am
  • Woke up this morning at 4:00 Am in a cold sweat with a very bad nightmare.

Week 1 opener our first play we come out and throw a bubble screen to Brian Walters who we re-signed for minus 1.

We may need to start a new 12th fan support group for each other if this happens. :twisted: :twisted:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:16 am
  • Rap reporting that Colts QB coach, Brian Schottenheimer is a candidate.
    Mojambo
    NET Veteran

• Schottenheimer's either had a murderer's row of bad QB's to work with his entire career, or they're all bad BECAUSE of him. He also happened to be the QB coach during Luck's big 2016 season...take that for what it's worth.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:27 am

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:39 am
  • nanomoz wrote:Luke warm on Schottenheimer.

Yeah not who I was expecting they'd interview. Hoping nothing comes of this.
    aredub
    NET Rookie

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:43 am
  • A resounding "meh" on Schottenheimer. Rams fans are already rooting for this.

This may be the tier of coaches we're pulling from though. Any hot up-and-comers are already looking at head coaching gigs, so we're either looking at recycled coordinators, or promoting some diamonds in the rough from position coaches.
    WindCityHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:53 am
  • WindCityHawk wrote:A resounding "meh" on Schottenheimer. Rams fans are already rooting for this.

This may be the tier of coaches we're pulling from though. Any hot up-and-comers are already looking at head coaching gigs, so we're either looking at recycled coordinators, or promoting some diamonds in the rough from position coaches.

Drevno baby, Drevno.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:07 am
  • Personally I hope they find a young up and comer from the college ranks rather then an nfl retread.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:12 am
  • Hasselbeck wrote:
    Fade wrote:
    BC-Hawk wrote:John DeFilippo would be a fantastic hire if he somehow escapes the head coaching search without a job, plus he's young enough that once Pete decides to eventually retire he can slide in as his successor easily. Perhaps that could be a selling point for the Hawks "come here and be our OC for a couple of years and then we'll hand over the keys to the head coach's office in X number of years."

This is absolutely terrible logic I'm sorry. You can't take a lesser coach because you think they may stay a little longer. Hire the best people possible, if that's DeFilippo - that's who you hire.

How do you know former HCs that were great OCs would be worse play callers than DeFilippo?
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:15 am
  • Shotty's work with the Rams has me saying, no no no no no no. NO.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:22 am
  • How about Harold Goodwin from Cardinals? OC under Arians. Did not call plays in regular season.

He's currently interviewing for OL spots - I'd love to lock him in for an interview. Check him out for both OL and OC.
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: CJ Prosise, Quill Griffin
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-UDFA: Lene Maiava, Jordan Roos
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:32 am
  • Russ Willstrong wrote: perennial SB contender.

Uh... what? A team that doesn't even make the playoffs in a cupcake division is not a perennial SB contender.
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:40 am
  • QuickLightning wrote:
    Russ Willstrong wrote: perennial SB contender.

Uh... what? A team that doesn't even make the playoffs in a cupcake division is not a perennial SB contender.

Does "talent filled team" work better for you?
    GO HAWKS!!!

MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:45 am
  • I would love to get Carmichael. I wouldn't mind McAdoo either. There are many guys that are better coordinators than head coaches.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:46 am
  • QuickLightning wrote:
    Russ Willstrong wrote: perennial SB contender.

Yeah but everyone knows the Seahawks could be back to being elite next year. You cant say that about a team like the Browns.

Now watch the Browns run the table next season and win the super bowl because I said that.
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:47 am
  • Bevell>Shottenheimer soooo :pukeface:
    Danny Darko
    NET Starter

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:13 am
  • Carmichael seems like the guy, but what leverage do we have to give him another OC position?
    It sounds from this that the Saints would grant permission for HC, but even AC and the promise of taking over for Pete... do the Saints have to play ball?
    Danny Darko
    NET Starter

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:14 am
  • Hasselbeck wrote:As far as Kubiak goes .. that's not happening.

This tweet is unconvincing.

Offensive Coordinator + Assistant Head Coach with a huge contract from Uncle Paul and having strong input in to personnel decisions might be appealing. Working for a winning organization behind a head coach who soaks up much of the PR pressure, and having a top QB like Wilson may also be a strong draw. Imagine building a new offense around Wilson's unique skillset and having the authority to influence personnel decisions for the many players that are brought in to fit that offense -- that could be a great fit for Kubiak.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:20 am
  • A-Dog wrote:This tweet is unconvincing.

That's probably because you want it to happen. :P

Was plenty convincing to me. Given his health struggles, I don't know if the guy wants the sideline pressure at this point in his life, even if he was cleared to return to work.
    GO HAWKS!!!

MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:29 am
  • Wonder if this Sean Ryan guy is a good fit?

Texans quarterbacks coach Sean Ryan is interviewing with the Browns today for their offensive coordinator job

Ryan is one of the up-and-coming assistants in the league who became a candidate for a promotion to offensive coordinator after his work with rookie Deshaun Watson

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ordinator/
    massari
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:29 am
  • Danny Darko wrote:Carmichael seems like the guy, but what leverage do we have to give him another OC position?
    It sounds from this that the Saints would grant permission for HC, but even AC and the promise of taking over for Pete... do the Saints have to play ball?

We trade back JFG? ;)
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:27 pm
  • I've already got the Fire Schottenheimer, queued up and ready to hit submit. God I hope that doesn't happen. Give me Bevell over him 8 days a week.
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:23 pm
  • massari wrote:Wonder if this Sean Ryan guy is a good fit?

Texans quarterbacks coach Sean Ryan is interviewing with the Browns today for their offensive coordinator job

Ryan is one of the up-and-coming assistants in the league who became a candidate for a promotion to offensive coordinator after his work with rookie Deshaun Watson

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ordinator/

I was thinking this also. There are actually at least a handful of good, solid candidates we can choose from. The first step has been taken (getting rid of Cabevell & Co.) Obviously, the next step is even more important. I hope they take their time and nail it.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:46 pm

• In another words, another Bevell.
    GO HAWKS!!!

MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:06 pm
  • LOL at everyone who thinks they can determine whether a coordinator hire is good or bad based on past performance. There are just too many extenuating circumstances to make a judgement (what kind of QB talent was present, did the HC they worked under have conventional or unconventional philosophies which presented challenges, etc)

Look at traits and fits for what Pete Carroll likes to do (Run the ball, take deep shots) because that's the way they're going to go.
    Mojambo
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:16 pm
  • Hawk54 wrote:They should go after this bloke, Bill Bedenbaugh from Oklahoma.

The Oklahoma Sooners offense is insanely good. They scored 80 TD's (almost 10 better than second place) and average 8.29 yards per play (almost 1 whole yard better than the next team) and 11.70 yards per pass attempt (again almost 1 yard better than the next team).

He's the co-OC AND O-line coach.

In 2016, their offensive line overcame early season shuffling due to injuries to help Sooners to one of most productive offensive years in school history, ranking first nationally in passing efficiency rating (mark of 193.79 set an FBS record) and pass completion percentage (.706), second in total offense (554.8 ypg) and third in scoring offense (43.9 ppg). OU also led the Big 12 by allowing just 1.6 sacks per game.

And OU registered its top two rushing seasons since Bedenbaugh joined the staff. The Sooners led the Big 12 and ranked 10th in the nation in 2014, averaging 261.2 rushing ypg. The schools who outrank them are those that just don't throw it and run every time.

I'm starting to really like this guy.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:19 pm
  • Picking schottenheimer would kill the elation I have felt this week.
    NJlargent
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:24 pm
  • NJlargent wrote:Picking schottenheimer would kill the elation I have felt this week.

Why? What, exactly, do you know about his play-calling ability and offensive philosophies?

I know next to nothing about him, other than he's NEVER coordinated for a QB of Russell Wilson's caliber, but he was highly thought of when he worked with Drew Brees as QB coach.

Just because a guy has been around, doesn't mean he's not the right guy. (I have no idea if he's the right guy.)
    Mojambo
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:46 pm
  • Keep an eye out for Marc Trestman. There are connectors to Pete and Russ (NC St). Just saying. First year Toronto head coach, this year, and goes out and wins the Gray Cup Campionship.
    "You don't always get to play playoff games at home, or conference championships at home, or superbowls at home. You have to have the mindset that you can play to your potential wherever you are." - Pete Carroll
    nwHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:12 pm
  • Mojambo wrote:
    NJlargent wrote:Picking schottenheimer would kill the elation I have felt this week.

Why? What, exactly, do you know about his play-calling ability and offensive philosophies?

I know next to nothing about him, other than he's NEVER coordinated for a QB of Russell Wilson's caliber, but he was highly thought of when he worked with Drew Brees as QB coach.

Just because a guy has been around, doesn't mean he's not the right guy. (I have no idea if he's the right guy.)

I know a lot about him. He's absolute ass.

He's not the right guy. Much better options out there.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:20 pm
  • Hasselbeck wrote:
    Mojambo wrote:
    NJlargent wrote:Picking schottenheimer would kill the elation I have felt this week.

I know a lot about him. He's absolute ass.

He's not the right guy. Much better options out there.

Do share.
    GO HAWKS!!!

MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

PreviousNext

It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:00 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information