Poll: Who initiated the letting go of the coaches?

Poll: Who initiated the letting go of the coaches?

• Carroll

Votes: 64 45.7%
  • Schneider

Votes: 27 19.3%
  • Paul Allen

Votes: 49 35.0%

• Total voters

seabowl

Reaction score
I voted for Paul. I really believe the backlash from fans like many on this board prompted Paul to step in and force the change. No way do I think it was Pete because within the last year he said something to the effect that anyone that believes Bevell is the issue doesn't know what they are talking about. Have to disagree because sometimes the fans do know just from watching the same games that the coaches do.

chris98251

Reaction score
Don't think it was Paul, he doesn't get involved in day to day operations much unless it's a huge contract or a Front office guy.

I think it was Pete and John, John possibly giving a reality check to Pete with the inquiry from Green Bay and I also believe he probably talked to Bud Grant, remember Bud lost several Super Bowls and had to make changes to get back there as well, I am sure the choices were hard or harder back then, Coaches didn't move as much and Pete and Bud have a long history and is essentially Pete biggest Mentor.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
I know we think of Papa Paul as being standoffish, but wasn't he also in the draft room Pete's first year here screaming for Earl Thomas? I suspect he's more involved than we think, especially when we miss the playoffs and fans start talking about not renewing season tickets. This is one of his businesses, after all.

I can't imagine Schneider forced Pete's hand because that would draw a schism between him and Pete, and they're the engine that runs this team. I guess we'll find out, if the thing explodes next season.

It may have been Pete, amidst rumors of his retirement, realizing that he needs to take drastic measures if he's going to make another run at the title, but I don't doubt that Paul Allen was vocal in that meeting.

Gametime

Reaction score
I think that saying one guy had or made the call is a bit too linear in thinking. I'm sure there was conversation over beers or dinner to work out what needed to happen. Paul likely said his thoughts and may have simply said, "Whatever you think is best Pete and John, I have your backs". Paul swooping in like a tyrant and demanding change seems out of character. John and Pete I am sure talked it over. Unilateral decisions like this don't come out as nowhere. Not sure I care "who" as long as the "why" is defined and the plan is mapped out.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
minormillikin":vwfugnw3 said:
No option for Seahawks.net?

I actually was going to put one but knew what would have happened to the poll.

cymatica

Reaction score
Here's my theory. Pete told Tom he was going to fire Bevell. Tom replied, "let's convert him to defensive coordinator". Pete finally had enough when he realized Tom wasn't joking.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
seabowl":b0rll1v9 said:
minormillikin":b0rll1v9 said:

I actually was going to put one but knew what would have happened to the poll.

For sure, he has been absent after the last game. Pete probably told him he was going but that he would wait to make it public for a bit.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
chris98251":djt9nvhp said:
Don't think it was Paul, he doesn't get involved in day to day operations much unless it's a huge contract or a Front office guy.

I think it was Pete and John, John possibly giving a reality check to Pete with the inquiry from Green Bay and I also believe he probably talked to Bud Grant, remember Bud lost several Super Bowls and had to make changes to get back there as well, I am sure the choices were hard or harder back then, Coaches didn't move as much and Pete and Bud have a long history and is essentially Pete biggest Mentor.

agreed.

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
Any of them seem possible, the timing so close to the JS to GB stuff is interesting although a bit hard to believe it changed his stature here that significantly.

The reason i think it probably was at least primarily Pete, even if out of character, is his statements recently have been far more negative and open about the problems than I've ever seen from him. It was always difficult to know if he didn't grasp the problems or simply hid them from the media, but it became clear recently that some of this team's ongoing struggles got to him, with missing the playoffs just capping it all off.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
minormillikin":ph5w2w6c said:

Or twitter or whatever social media.

I know I personally tweeted as Paul Allen and Pete Carroll that I wouldnt watch if Bevell and Cable werent fired.

Of course I was lying. I totally would have kept torturing myself.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
ESPN 710 Seattle said it was Pete alone, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's true. I think they could have all collectively made a decision together.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet all three sat down at the same time and agreed it was time. I'm guessing they felt like last season would have been jumping the gun early especially with RW's injuries and ET. Things probably starting churning after the Redskins loss this season.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":kc2gy32e said:
ESPN 710 Seattle said it was Pete alone, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's true. I think they could have all collectively made a decision together.

Missed that. Agree totally.

RussB

Reaction score
I think it was Pete. He said in the final presser that he needs to fix the offense and he seemed serious about it. I dont think he wanted to fire these guys but he knew he had to .

AgentDib

Reaction score
Paul is the perfect owner in that he hires a guy and lets them do their thing without micromanaging. He spends much less time thinking about the Hawks every day than most of the posters here do.

Pete is John's boss. I'm not sure how John is even a poll option, unless it's in the uninformed "Pete didn't know it was possible until John brought it up to him" sort of way.

Str8OuttaSkittles

Reaction score
:D :D some reason i have a feeling john turned down packers on the condition tom and darrell went just my thoughts

original poster

Reaction score
I'm going with Pete. Not convinced PA got involved and Pete knew it was time. His post season presser said it all.

Str8OuttaSkittles":1fmfityh said:
:D :D some reason i have a feeling john turned down packers on the condition tom and darrell went just my thoughts

Very possible.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
AgentDib":f08oo1b0 said:
Paul is the perfect owner in that he hires a guy and lets them do their thing without micromanaging. He spends much less time thinking about the Hawks every day than most of the posters here do.

Pete is John's boss. I'm not sure how John is even a poll option, unless it's in the uninformed "Pete didn't know it was possible until John brought it up to him" sort of way.
So do you believe Paul Allen helped create Microsoft by allowing department heads who weren’t getting the job done to hang around and continue making mistakes? Pete went on record earlier saying that he expected no changes so this came from over his head.