Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Poll: Who initiated the letting go of the coaches?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

Poll: Who initiated the letting go of the coaches?

Carroll
46%
Schneider
19%
Paul Allen
35%

Total votes : 140

• I voted for Paul. I really believe the backlash from fans like many on this board prompted Paul to step in and force the change. No way do I think it was Pete because within the last year he said something to the effect that anyone that believes Bevell is the issue doesn't know what they are talking about. Have to disagree because sometimes the fans do know just from watching the same games that the coaches do.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

• Don't think it was Paul, he doesn't get involved in day to day operations much unless it's a huge contract or a Front office guy.

I think it was Pete and John, John possibly giving a reality check to Pete with the inquiry from Green Bay and I also believe he probably talked to Bud Grant, remember Bud lost several Super Bowls and had to make changes to get back there as well, I am sure the choices were hard or harder back then, Coaches didn't move as much and Pete and Bud have a long history and is essentially Pete biggest Mentor.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I know we think of Papa Paul as being standoffish, but wasn't he also in the draft room Pete's first year here screaming for Earl Thomas? I suspect he's more involved than we think, especially when we miss the playoffs and fans start talking about not renewing season tickets. This is one of his businesses, after all.

I can't imagine Schneider forced Pete's hand because that would draw a schism between him and Pete, and they're the engine that runs this team. I guess we'll find out, if the thing explodes next season.

It may have been Pete, amidst rumors of his retirement, realizing that he needs to take drastic measures if he's going to make another run at the title, but I don't doubt that Paul Allen was vocal in that meeting.
    WindCityHawk
    NET Veteran

• I think that saying one guy had or made the call is a bit too linear in thinking. I'm sure there was conversation over beers or dinner to work out what needed to happen. Paul likely said his thoughts and may have simply said, "Whatever you think is best Pete and John, I have your backs". Paul swooping in like a tyrant and demanding change seems out of character. John and Pete I am sure talked it over. Unilateral decisions like this don't come out as nowhere. Not sure I care "who" as long as the "why" is defined and the plan is mapped out.
    "Pro Football is like nuclear warfare. There are no winners, only survivors"
    Frank Gifford
    Gametime
    NET Starter

• No option for Seahawks.net?
    minormillikin
    NET Veteran

• minormillikin wrote:No option for Seahawks.net?

I actually was going to put one but knew what would have happened to the poll.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

• Here's my theory. Pete told Tom he was going to fire Bevell. Tom replied, "let's convert him to defensive coordinator". Pete finally had enough when he realized Tom wasn't joking.
    cymatica
    NET Veteran

• seabowl wrote:
    minormillikin wrote:No option for Seahawks.net?

I actually was going to put one but knew what would have happened to the poll.

For sure, he has been absent after the last game. Pete probably told him he was going but that he would wait to make it public for a bit.
    johnnyfever
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:Don't think it was Paul, he doesn't get involved in day to day operations much unless it's a huge contract or a Front office guy.

I think it was Pete and John, John possibly giving a reality check to Pete with the inquiry from Green Bay and I also believe he probably talked to Bud Grant, remember Bud lost several Super Bowls and had to make changes to get back there as well, I am sure the choices were hard or harder back then, Coaches didn't move as much and Pete and Bud have a long history and is essentially Pete biggest Mentor.

agreed.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Any of them seem possible, the timing so close to the JS to GB stuff is interesting although a bit hard to believe it changed his stature here that significantly.

The reason i think it probably was at least primarily Pete, even if out of character, is his statements recently have been far more negative and open about the problems than I've ever seen from him. It was always difficult to know if he didn't grasp the problems or simply hid them from the media, but it became clear recently that some of this team's ongoing struggles got to him, with missing the playoffs just capping it all off.
    SeahawksCanuck
    NET Practice Squad

Or twitter or whatever social media.

I know I personally tweeted as Paul Allen and Pete Carroll that I wouldnt watch if Bevell and Cable werent fired.

Of course I was lying. I totally would have kept torturing myself.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• ESPN 710 Seattle said it was Pete alone, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's true. I think they could have all collectively made a decision together.
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Tally, Seminole Country (Road Hawk)

• I'd be willing to bet all three sat down at the same time and agreed it was time. I'm guessing they felt like last season would have been jumping the gun early especially with RW's injuries and ET. Things probably starting churning after the Redskins loss this season.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

• NFSeahawks628 wrote:ESPN 710 Seattle said it was Pete alone, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's true. I think they could have all collectively made a decision together.

Missed that. Agree totally.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

• I think it was Pete. He said in the final presser that he needs to fix the offense and he seemed serious about it. I dont think he wanted to fire these guys but he knew he had to .
    RussB
    NET Veteran

• Paul is the perfect owner in that he hires a guy and lets them do their thing without micromanaging. He spends much less time thinking about the Hawks every day than most of the posters here do.

Pete is John's boss. I'm not sure how John is even a poll option, unless it's in the uninformed "Pete didn't know it was possible until John brought it up to him" sort of way.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• :D :D some reason i have a feeling john turned down packers on the condition tom and darrell went just my thoughts
    “Well, they’re going to have to stop all of us. You feel me. I’m a piece to it, but we’ve got some dogs.”
    Str8OuttaSkittles
    NET Starter

• I'm going with Pete. Not convinced PA got involved and Pete knew it was time. His post season presser said it all.

Str8OuttaSkittles wrote::D :D some reason i have a feeling john turned down packers on the condition tom and darrell went just my thoughts

Very possible.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• AgentDib wrote:Paul is the perfect owner in that he hires a guy and lets them do their thing without micromanaging. He spends much less time thinking about the Hawks every day than most of the posters here do.

Pete is John's boss. I'm not sure how John is even a poll option, unless it's in the uninformed "Pete didn't know it was possible until John brought it up to him" sort of way.

So do you believe Paul Allen helped create Microsoft by allowing department heads who weren’t getting the job done to hang around and continue making mistakes? Pete went on record earlier saying that he expected no changes so this came from over his head.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• brimsalabim wrote:
    AgentDib wrote:Paul is the perfect owner in that he hires a guy and lets them do their thing without micromanaging. He spends much less time thinking about the Hawks every day than most of the posters here do.

So do you believe Paul Allen helped create Microsoft by allowing department heads who weren’t getting the job done to hang around and continue making mistakes? Pete went on record earlier saying that he expected no changes so this came from over his head.

He did? when and where did you see that? Paul Allen had absolutely nothing to do with this. JS I'm sure was part of the process no doubt. Some people are so caught up in being angry at Pete for not making this decision sooner that they cant even allow for him making it now. :roll:
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

• Their absolutely abhorrent performance initiated the draining of the swamp.

Cleveland had more rushing yards than our offense produced under their leadership. What was their record again?
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

• Paul Allen is, first and foremost, an incredibly successful businessman. He stays out of the day to day football operations, but I am sure he has his finger on the pulse of the business side of the Seahawks operation. Maybe through focus groups, maybe through managers, but he is keenly aware of where the business is going.

I can't be the only person out here who, after several years of looking for season tickets, suddenly has several offers on the table, some of which were conditional on what happens with Cable and Bevell.

I have to think that Allen and his management group have heard of this, and see the writing on the wall. For that reason, I actually do think that he very well may have called a meeting with Carroll and Schneider to discuss this. I'm sure they all knew what needed to happen, but I would be very surprised if, given the looming business situation, Paul Allen didn't get directly involved.

I doubt he would have in any year prior, when there wasn't a potential business issue, but it is different this year, and it certainly appeared that Carroll wasn't making the move on his own, and any pressure from Schneider wasn't moving him.
    Fire Tom Cable

Did Chip Kelly assume roster management duties for the Seahawks this year? I must have missed the announcement.
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

Exactly what i was thinking
    5280Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Seriously...If you believe that the offensive coordinator and associate head coaches were fired without the owners consent then you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• GM and Executive President and Head Coach, hmm why even have them if you have to run everything by Paul OC and O line Coach, yeah Pete and John have no clue about how to deal with that aspect of the team, they need a Computer Nerd who is very rich and plays Guitar for fun with celebrities to tell them whether or not they can Hire and Fire guys. Guess having all those Football guys working for him was just for appearances, Paul is actually making all the calls on the team.

I do have dirt all over my ass though.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I'll say Pete.

Pete does have a reputation for not firing his assistants, but even for him enough is enough. And it would have been an easy conversation to have considering how much time they've had to correct the offensive deficiencies.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• Where is the option for .net?
    djb28
    NET Veteran

• Pete w/conversations from John and his input helped sway him to do the obvious.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• Last I heard, Pete Carroll has full control of the football operations. This was Pete Carroll's decision.
    Mojambo
    NET Veteran

• I am surprised by how many people voted Allen.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• Mojambo wrote:Last I heard, Pete Carroll has full control of the football operations. This was Pete Carroll's decision.

Didn't know Carroll was the owner of the Seahawks.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

• Not the owner, but the owner gave him FULL CONTROL OF FOOTBALL OPERATIONS, including personnel.
    Mojambo
    NET Veteran

• seahawkfreak wrote:
    Mojambo wrote:Last I heard, Pete Carroll has full control of the football operations. This was Pete Carroll's decision.

How did you bridge "total control over football operations" to owner of the team?

Any large corporation or company that owns multiple assets will allow it's managers, CEO's etc to make day to day decisions.......................and if the bottom line or operations don't look like they're going in the right direction? He or they will step in.

This situation is no different, Allen owns dozens of companies. He gave Pete total control to make these sorts of coaching decisions, as with all the football operation decisions. Doesn't mean Allen didn't have input into the direction of the team, and give Pete his two cents.

But in the end these firings were Pete, and Pete alone. If it wasn't? Then Pete would quit, because that's not the agreement he had with Allen 8 years ago when he was hired. It literally was the main reason he came to Seattle, total control.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Mojambo wrote:Not the owner, but the owner gave him FULL CONTROL OF FOOTBALL OPERATIONS, including personnel.

It is totally plausible that Carroll made the decision for letting the guys go but I guarantee that this was all discussed in a room with, at the very least, PA, JS and PC. It is not like Pete passed Paul in the hallway and said, "hey boss how are you".

Paul responds by saying, " great Pete anything new?"

"No not really, oh fired our OC and O-line coach"

"Really, wow, let me know how that works out. Alright peace out, gotta go do my billionaire stuff."

Also, if Pete said I want to fire the OC and OLC and Paul said I think we should keep them, DB and TC would still be here. This was a long discussion in a room where everyone agreed on the decision, not some solely hammer down firing.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:Don't think it was Paul, he doesn't get involved in day to day operations much unless it's a huge contract or a Front office guy.

This is not day-to-day operations. This is everything but

I think Schneider drove it as in "you don't let me interview (better believe that was Allen's decision) then let me run the organization.....

But Allen is not a stranger to changing things up. He just does it quietly to empower his employees and leaders and not to undermine them

I certainly believe he initiated it by asking pointed questions.

Check this article about his people doing the same in Portland

https://ripcityproject.com/2017/12/29/p ... s-answers/
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    seahawkfreak wrote:
    Mojambo wrote:Last I heard, Pete Carroll has full control of the football operations. This was Pete Carroll's decision.

How did you bridge "total control over football operations" to owner of the team?

Any large corporation or company that owns multiple assets will allow it's managers, CEO's etc to make day to day decisions.......................and if the bottom line or operations don't look like they're going in the right direction? He or they will step in.

This situation is no different, Allen owns dozens of companies. He gave Pete total control to make these sorts of coaching decisions, as with all the football operation decisions. Doesn't mean Allen didn't have input into the direction of the team, and give Pete his two cents.

But in the end these firings were Pete, and Pete alone. If it wasn't? Then Pete would quit, because that's not the agreement he had with Allen 8 years ago when he was hired. It literally was the main reason he came to Seattle, total control.

Allen still has final say over decisions made with the team. JS is the GM but every trade and free agent signings still has to get the ok by PA. Remember when Paul closed the door on Kam's hold out. That wasn't JS. If I remember correctly as well, PA was very involved when we traded Harvin away.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

• Coug_Hawk08 wrote:I am surprised by how many people voted Allen.

We may work for real companies where we know that the invisible hand absolutely can initiate these things

At a minimum I am sure Paul Allen signed off on it before it was a done deal.

I think the meeting went more like this
    PA - so what do we want to change for next year (you better freaking say OC and OL coach or I will say it)

PC & JS - well might be time for some offensive changes

PA - I agree ok will you let Cable and Bevell know or should I
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Everything that has been reported indicates that Carroll made the decision. Paul Allen is too smart of an owner to interject himself into a coaching decision. And Schneider works for Carroll.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• seahawkfreak wrote:
    Mojambo wrote:Not the owner, but the owner gave him FULL CONTROL OF FOOTBALL OPERATIONS, including personnel.

Also, if Pete said I want to fire the OC and OLC and Paul said I think we should keep them, DB and TC would still be here.

And Pete Carroll likely wouldn't be here. He has control over these decisions. Yes, Paul Allen can override, but it would almost certainly usher the end of Carroll's time here. He came here for total control.
    Mojambo
    NET Veteran

• mikeak wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Don't think it was Paul, he doesn't get involved in day to day operations much unless it's a huge contract or a Front office guy.

This is not day-to-day operations. This is everything but...

But Allen is not a stranger to changing things up...

Check this article about his people doing the same in Portland

https://ripcityproject.com/2017/12/29/p ... s-answers/

Wasn't aware of this article when I made my prior post, but...

“The lieutenants who work at owner Paul Allen’s Vulcan, Inc. mothership have been analyzing data and asking important questions. Two NBA front-office sources said they were contacted in the last 10 days by the Vulcans and asked whether they thought the Trail Blazers struggles were due to a broken roster or poor coaching.”

Hmmmm
    Fire Tom Cable

Did Chip Kelly assume roster management duties for the Seahawks this year? I must have missed the announcement.
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

• This is the 21st Century, almost every big business does surveys and practices data collection to see what the general opinion is outside their house, be it competitors or the public and also internally.

My company does it all the time, those websites you go to ask for you to do a survey, your doctors ask you to give them feedback on specific questionnaires. It's a common practice. Vulcan is a operations company that monitors Paul's businesses, really a big Holding Company that can use Statistics and compiles his numbers for him and passes on findings and recommendations.

Season ticket holders I would imagine have received satisfaction surveys of some sort that deal with service experience and the whole Game Day experience as well at one time or another.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:00 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information