"Bevell couldn't be the bad cop Carroll wants"

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
http://sports.mynorthwest.com/391124/on ... ll-wilson/

Lost in the news of the day was this interesting take from O'Neil who suggests that Wilson needs a more critical voice in his ear.

“Russ wants to be criticized,” coach Pete Carroll said. “Russ needs to be criticized. He wants to be great.”

Carroll went on to relay the story of how he sat in Wilson’s locker during halftime of the regular-season finale, right next to his quarterback, and asked him to turn the team around “in a way he hasn’t heard me talk to him.”

Snap. Have we finally made Dad mad?

SNDavidson

Reaction score
To me this would indicate they'll hire someone very quickly unless it's an individual on staff with one of the playoff teams. If they're looking for a no nonsense qb guru I would think they have the individual they're looking for identified already.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
O Neil is speculating. He jumps to conclusions that is sometimes way off.
Yes Russ needs challenges. Not a BAD COP but a real master of offenses and playcalling.
As for needing a bad cop I think Bevell has been the most critical of Russ--moreso than Pete or Cable. Some videos show He's in Russ's head when Russ misses opportunities to step up into the pocket. They review plays on the sideline. Cable and Carroll don't do that.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Danny is just talking out of his ass here. Bevell was fired because he was bad at his job. End of story.

Seymour

Reaction score
Maybe if Russell has a legit line to where he can operate a close to normal offense he won't need a spanking every 1st quarter? There is always that and we finally have that shot.

RussB

Reaction score
If they hire a legit QB coach and OC. Wilson will be even better, now thats something to be exited about.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I have been saying this for months. ***pats self on the back & asks for a cookie***

hawknation2017":x2qf0rk1 said:
That's just one criticism of Bevell, which I call the simplicity of his "science." My bigger problem with Bevell concerns the "art" of his play calling: his inability to react to in-game circumstances by failing to choose particular plays that amplify our strengths of the moment and exploit the weaknesses of our opponents.

My final criticism is with his personality as a motivator of men. My impression is that Bevell has learned more from Russell than Russell has learned from him, which is a scary thought because it should be the other way around. I feel Wilson needs a stronger personality who will challenge him, push him, and even anger him at times to motivate and develop him to be great. Bevell has not shown to be that person; he is more of a dutiful buddy to Russell.

Crizilla

Reaction score
It's not going to happen, but Josh McDaniels would be an absolute perfect fit with Russ. Perfect fit. They would win a Superbowl together

chris98251

Reaction score
hawknation2018":t058bhk2 said:
I have been saying this for months. ***pats self on the back & asks for a cookie***

hawknation2017":t058bhk2 said:
That's just one criticism of Bevell, which I call the simplicity of his "science." My bigger problem with Bevell concerns the "art" of his play calling: his inability to react to in-game circumstances by failing to choose particular plays that amplify our strengths of the moment and exploit the weaknesses of our opponents.

My final criticism is with his personality as a motivator of men. My impression is that Bevell has learned more from Russell than Russell has learned from him, which is a scary thought because it should be the other way around. I feel Wilson needs a stronger personality who will challenge him, push him, and even anger him at times to motivate and develop him to be great. Bevell has not shown to be that person; he is more of a dutiful buddy to Russell.
Everyone labeled a doomer for the last three years has been saying this, we ate all the cookies.