Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Brian Schottenheimer

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Brian Schottenheimer
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:35 pm
  • Schottenheimer will provide a wealth of knowledge for Wilson.

However, I'm more excited about how this will benefit the running game. An OC who actually understands and appreciates the running game? What a novel idea!

:irishdrinkers:
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• G-Money wrote:Has proven to be a failure IMO........ugh

Lets not be too quick. The Rams forums say different that he was the problem. Read many of the comment at this forum post:
    http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/bri ... lem.33754/
    Granted they are not eschewing love but they are also not trashing him as the reason for the Rams poor offense.
    lets just wait and see.
    Down Under Hawk
    NET Bench Warmer

• hawknation2018 wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:I don't want to look too much into his past, because that isn't fair. His QB's he has coordinated for have been Mark Sanchez in New York and then a mix of Bradford, Austin Davis, Kellen Clemens and Shaun Hill in Saint Louis. It's very likely that if he was able to run an offense for someone like Brees or Rodgers he would have had a lot more success.

What I do want to talk about is his play calling style. That Jets team was such a defensive force I remember their style of play being similar to RW's first few seasons with the Seahawks.

Overall it seems like an underwhelming hire, but his resume is incomplete because of the QB's he's had under him.

Or were those quarterbacks bad because of him?

For real? Those guys are just plain bad. Awful luck for him. Coaches Andrew Luck to his best statistical season . . . then Luck misses all of 2017, leaving him with the great Jacoby Brissett.

Brissett wasn’t terrible this year under Schottenheimer. Sub-60 percent completions, yes, but 13 TDs against 7 picks through the air with another 4 rushing TDs. Seems like Schottenheimer was able to craft a game plan that catered to Brissett’s strengths. Seems like he did a decent job, given what he was working with.
    CodeWarrior
    NET Veteran

Re: Seahawks to sign Colts QB Coach.
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:36 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:I said this so many times, but be careful what you wish for. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

This.

Again was more cable then db.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:39 pm
  • MontatnaHawk05 wrote:
    KitsapGuy wrote:

Oh, is Fieldgulls going against the grain again? Knock me over with a feather.

Maybe Schotty and Wilson find something special together. Maybe not.

I actually agree with the point that it's more about the talent at your disposal than anything else, but if that's the case, why did we let Cable and Bevell go? Because, in Cable's case, there is evidence that he was wrecking the available talent.

Sure, Schotty was stuck with bad quarterbacks for much of his career. He also may have been responsible for those bad quarterbacks, like Sanchez and Bradford. He did have a couple good moments, like Brees and Luck.

Meh. I'm the type to see coordinators as almost a non-factor. I was hoping for an innovator, but this news doesn't really Russell me one way or the other. If you'll pardon the pun that autocorrect provided for me.

Have any of those qb' s went on to do anything? I haven't even noticed them.
    sedrohawk
    NET Rookie

Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:39 pm
  • hawknation2018 wrote:Give him a chance, heathens.

:ditto:
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:40 pm
  • That Ram fans are happy about this is clearly a red flag....

Imagine our reaction if an NFC west foe hired Bevell.

Doesn't mean anything concrete of course, but it sure would have been nice if Pete would have taken a bit of a risk here with an innovator rather than a safe, retread, yes man that won't ruffle his feathers.
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:40 pm
  • Wasn't he the coordinator when Curtis Martin led the league in rushing?
    sedrohawk
    NET Rookie

Re: Seahawks to sign Colts QB Coach.
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:42 pm
  • Gibbo wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:I said this so many times, but be careful what you wish for. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Christ.

Give him a chance ffs.

I am. I was one of the few who supported Bevell for the most part on here.

I just knew that wanted Bevell gone that they would likely be disappointed with his replacement.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:49 pm
  • Not disappointed with this replacement and still very glad Bevell is gone. We plateaued with him.
    "Sometimes, guys can't hang with what's expected for one reason or another, their growth, their development and all that, and the best thing I can tell you is that they're not here."
    - Big Balls Pete
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Tally, Seminole Country (Road Hawk)

Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:50 pm
  • KitsapGuy wrote:

This is pretty powerful. Thanks for posting!
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:51 pm
  • This is not the hire I would have made, and I am underwhelmed, but I'm going to give it a chance. This has a chance to be good.

Schottenheimer did a fine job, I think, running the offense even with probably the worst QB in the NFL at the helm. It's hard to succeed with Sanchez at the helm.

The Rams had Jeff Fisher at the helm. Jeff Fisher is awful. His time in STL under Fisher may not be an accurate assessment of Schotty's skill. He also had nothing at QB.

At Georgia, he was under Richt - an offensive coach. How much of the failure belonged to Richt over Schotty?

He's been QB coach in Indy for past 2 years. Brissett has improved slightly, was pretty damn bad in college. Brees loved Schotty.

I'm willing to give it a schott. (HA!) Coaches constantly develop their philosophy as we have seen with Pete. Schotty has a wealth of experience that he may be able to put to good use with a near-MVP caliber QB.
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: CJ Prosise, Quill Griffin
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-UDFA: Lene Maiava, Jordan Roos
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:53 pm
  • Don't really know much about him other than being Marty's son. A little concerning he was the QB coach in Indy. Was really hoping for DeFilippo.
    GLio14
    NET Rookie

Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:53 pm
  • Hawkpower wrote:That Ram fans are happy about this is clearly a red flag....

Doesn't mean anything concrete of course, but it sure would have been nice if Pete would have taken a bit of a risk here with an innovator rather than a safe, retread, yes man that won't ruffle his feathers.

You're sure giving Rams fans a lot of credit here, HP.

If Schottenheimer is hired, we'll have no choice but to give him a chance.

RW is a much better QB than the Rams had, and we could have pieces to an offense that he can make work together.
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:54 pm
  • sedrohawk wrote:Wasn't he the coordinator when Curtis Martin led the league in rushing?

Curtis Martin suffered an injury and retired in 2006. 2006 was the first year with Schottenheimer as the Jets OC. I’m pretty disappointed in this choice as there seemed that there were better options available and imo, he’s not much of an upgrade over Bevell. He does have history with JS.
    Last edited by hawkfan68 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:56 pm
  • Not disappointed with this replacement and still very glad Bevell is gone. We plateaued with him.
    "Sometimes, guys can't hang with what's expected for one reason or another, their growth, their development and all that, and the best thing I can tell you is that they're not here."
    - Big Balls Pete
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Tally, Seminole Country (Road Hawk)

• hawkfan68 wrote:
    sedrohawk wrote:Wasn't he the coordinator when Curtis Martin led the league in rushing?

Curtis Martin suffered an injury and retired in 2006. 2006 was the first year with Schottenheimer as the Jets OC. I’m pretty disappointed in this choice as there seemed that there were better options available. He does have history with both JS and PC. he was the te coach at usc the under Carroll.

He coached at USC before Carroll was hired there in 2001.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:I don't want to look too much into his past, because that isn't fair. His QB's he has coordinated for have been Mark Sanchez in New York and then a mix of Bradford, Austin Davis, Kellen Clemens and Shaun Hill in Saint Louis. It's very likely that if he was able to run an offense for someone like Brees or Rodgers he would have had a lot more success.

What I do want to talk about is his play calling style. That Jets team was such a defensive force I remember their style of play being similar to RW's first few seasons with the Seahawks.

Overall it seems like an underwhelming hire, but his resume is incomplete because of the QB's he's had under him.

Or were those quarterbacks bad because of him?

No
    SpokaneHawks
    NET Rookie

Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:57 pm

Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:58 pm
  • Ugh. Whatever, just going to cross my fingers and hope this doesn’t suck.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:00 pm
  • Ad Hawk wrote:
    Hawkpower wrote:That Ram fans are happy about this is clearly a red flag....

RW is a much better QB than the Rams had, and we could have pieces to an offense that he can make work together.

True.....and of course it could mean nothing.....but again, imagine our glee if the Rams were to ever hire Bevell. Its not completely inconsequential either.

I am willing to wait and see....I just think we could have done better that's all.

Hope he is great, obviously :)
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:01 pm
  • hawknation2018 wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:
    sedrohawk wrote:Wasn't he the coordinator when Curtis Martin led the league in rushing?

Curtis Martin suffered an injury and retired in 2006. 2006 was the first year with Schottenheimer as the Jets OC. I’m pretty disappointed in this choice as there seemed that there were better options available. He does have history with both JS and PC. he was the te coach at usc the under Carroll.

He coached at USC before Carroll was hired there in 2001.

Oh.. you’re correct.. I thought Carroll was there in 2000 but he became the coach at usc in 2001.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:02 pm
  • Here is another link that seems to say that Shotts is not that bad and with some pieces to work with might actually make the Hawks better.
    https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/1/12/ ... with-colts

"The Colts would be wise to suggest that the new coach hang on to him, as his knowledge, ability to get results from lesser talent and his work ethic is widely respected around the league. The Colts could do a lot worse than Brian Schottenheimer."
    Down Under Hawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:05 pm
  • CURSIN' AT YO PLAYERS WORSE THAN MARTY SHOTTENHEIMER
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:07 pm
  • Did we even interview? This seems incredibly rushed and impulsive move by Pete. Couldn’t wait a couple more weeks for other candidates?

I just don’t see shot being the guy to take Russ to the next level.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:10 pm
  • Hawkpower wrote:
    Ad Hawk wrote:
    Hawkpower wrote:That Ram fans are happy about this is clearly a red flag....

True.....and of course it could mean nothing.....but again, imagine our glee if the Rams were to ever hire Bevell. Its not completely inconsequential either.

I am willing to wait and see....I just think we could have done better that's all.

Hope he is great, obviously :)

Difference is, Bevell actually had a good QB.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:11 pm
  • Well hes probably better than Bevell so thats a plus.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:13 pm
  • Are we going to trade Russell for Sam Bradford now?
    GET YOUR EAR PLUGS READY!!!
    TheHawkster
    * NET Bad Ass *

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:13 pm
  • I really don't want to have to change my handle to Schottenheimeristhedevil. It is way too long.

Seriously folks, it is a new set of eyes. Our offense was broken for at least 50% of every game. Situational awareness has been terrible.

Do you really think it could get worse?
    Bevell's Bubble Busted
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:14 pm
  • Schotty is a pro-style coach, but he was recently at UGA under Richt. May have some college influence in his philosophy as a result. Let's see.
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: CJ Prosise, Quill Griffin
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-UDFA: Lene Maiava, Jordan Roos
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:15 pm
  • Coug_Hawk08 wrote:Did we even interview? This seems incredibly rushed and impulsive move by Pete. Couldn’t wait a couple more weeks for other candidates?

Season has been over for weeks. If Shotts is who PC wanted all along this has been plenty of time. In addition reports are that he had interviews and they wanted to finalize this because a number of other teams are looking for OC and HC.

Lets give him a chance. He has worked well with exsteamly poor talent. Lets get the line fixed and see how he has a better more varied play calling scheme than DB,

As for taking Wilson to next level go look at the glowing remarks from Drew Bress who credits Shotts for taking him to all pro level.
    Down Under Hawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:16 pm
  • bevellisthedevil wrote:I really don't want to have to change my handle to Schottenheimeristhedevil. It is way too long.

Seriously folks, it is a new set of eyes. Our offense was broken for at least 50% of every game. Situational awareness has been terrible.

No, it's seriously a huge improvement from a common sense, offensive flow perspective. Even with the litany of crappy QBs he had, Brian managed some very potent rushing attacks.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:16 pm
  • I do have my concerns but I'm not too surprised. Number one reason being Pete is a notoriously conservative offensive coach. He wasn't going to go for say a Trestman.

I kinda yawned when we replaced Bradley with Quinn and he ended up being really specialb
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:17 pm
  • I knew we would screw this up. Puke
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:20 pm
  • LoB6 wrote:I miss Bevell.

I’m not going to miss scoring less than 7 offensive points in the first half of every game, but that’s just me. 8)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:21 pm
  • I hope the offense doesn’t turn out to be like the initials of his name - BS.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:22 pm
  • As I suspected. Pete wanted another puppet that has as little string tension as possible. :|

Seymour
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:22 pm
  • bevellisthedevil wrote:I really don't want to have to change my handle to Schottenheimeristhedevil. It is way too long.

THIS!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:23 pm
  • I think I saw a bit of him in Hard Knocks when he was with the Jets. Seemed good, but I barely remember him. Got the impression he was good at working with QBs. Sanchez has proven to be really bad outside of NY, so it's hard to blame Shotty for that. Bradford was also perennially injured and still can't stay on the field. I think the fact that he was Luck's QB coach last year is a huge plus in his favor. That was definitely Luck's best season and he'd had some really good ones prior to it.

My gut says this is not exciting, but I want to give him a chance, he deserves it.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:24 pm
  • Gio wrote:" Schottenheimer has nine seasons of coordinating experience in the NFL, but just one of those offenses finished inside the top-15 in total yards while none finished inside the top-15 in passing yards. Seattle should aim higher. "

Geez, Bev has a Rock Star Record compared to that one.

Strange choice, hope it’s not true.
    Last edited by LeftHandSmoke on Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    LeftHandSmoke
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:24 pm
  • More concerned about the OLC we get. We'll be fine on offense if we can get our POS OL squared away.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:25 pm
  • Down Under Hawk wrote:
    Coug_Hawk08 wrote:Did we even interview? This seems incredibly rushed and impulsive move by Pete. Couldn’t wait a couple more weeks for other candidates?

Season has been over for weeks. If Shotts is who PC wanted all along this has been plenty of time. In addition reports are that he had interviews and they wanted to finalize this because a number of other teams are looking for OC and HC.

Lets give him a chance. He has worked well with exsteamly poor talent. Lets get the line fixed and see how he has a better more varied play calling scheme than DB,

As for taking Wilson to next level go look at the glowing remarks from Drew Bress who credits Shotts for taking him to all pro level.

That comment was from 2006. Might as well be 100 years ago in NFL years. He hasn’t done anything impressive in ages. Has shown scheme and ability to play call can not up level players available to him. He might end up looking ok, because Russell will save him from himself. Same situation we had with Bev.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:27 pm
  • Now we just need the equivalent of Bill Callahan for an offensive line coach.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:28 pm
  • Coug_Hawk08 wrote:
    Down Under Hawk wrote:
    Coug_Hawk08 wrote:Did we even interview? This seems incredibly rushed and impulsive move by Pete. Couldn’t wait a couple more weeks for other candidates?

That comment was from 2006. Might as well be 100 years ago in NFL years. He hasn’t done anything impressive in ages. Has shown scheme and ability to play call can not up level players available to him. He might end up looking ok, because Russell will save him from himself. Same situation we had with Bev.

Go look at the links I posted from the rams fourms and from the Colts sbnation they are more recent and not trashing Shotts like most ot the over reactor negative nellys are doing in this post.
    Down Under Hawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:30 pm
  • seahawkfreak wrote:More concerned about the OLC we get. We'll be fine on offense if we can get our POS OL squared away.

Agree. This is what it boils down to for me also.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:30 pm
  • Well now I'm officially on Urban Meyer watch ...

What a putrid Tedric Thompson style pick.

It's moves like this that make us look forward to the M's season.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:31 pm
  • Hmm will wait to see what happens but wasn't in my top 5 for sure. The more important thing is getting rid of Cable.
    randomation
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:32 pm
  • Attyla the Hawk wrote:Well now I'm officially on Urban Meyer watch ...

What a putrid Tedric Thompson style pick.

It's moves like this that make us look forward to the M's season.

Tedric Thompson is a play maker. Don't be surprised if he develops into a great defender.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:33 pm
  • Underwhelming but at least fire shotty will make for good thread titles late next season
    NJlargent
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:35 pm
  • I hope he's actually given a chance to implement his own vision, not Carroll/Bevel redux. A subordinate subordinate is exactly what Pete doesn't need.
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:35 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information