Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Austin Seferian-Jenkins says Marquise Lee should be Seahawk

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Read this earlier today, didn't know if it was posted. If ASJ is recommending other players to join Seahawks, it could be a sign that he is contemplating joining Seattle himself which probably means Jimmy is gone. I loved ASJ as a former Husky, but off field problems derailed his career so far. He has since quit drinking and if he had better qb play then he had with the Jets, i think he could be a decent low cost replacement for Jimmy G. As far as Marquise Lee, he is a great route runner, but has been inconsistent and has been somewhat injury prone, I guess it depends on the money.

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-jets ... -113464140
    arghawkfan
    NET Rookie

• Marqise Lee > Paul Richardson
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• I think replacing Graham by ASJ would be a nice move ...
    PaVloVa!8
    NET Bench Warmer

• PaVloVa!8 wrote:I think replacing Graham by ASJ would be a nice move ...

I don't.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    PaVloVa!8 wrote:I think replacing Graham by ASJ would be a nice move ...

I don't.

He'll probably be half the price of Graham and is becoming a willing blocker:

One problem: He didn't grasp the importance of blocking, especially in the running game, and just aspired to be a prolific, pass-catching tight end.

"I think earlier in my career, that's just what I wanted to be," he told NJ Advance Media. "I'm 25, and I'm [in my] fourth year, and I just want to be a complete tight end. I want to be the best complete tight end."

Now in his second season with the Jets, he is taking big steps toward that.

He was a run-blocking force in last Sunday's win over the Jaguars, playing key blocking roles on touchdown runs of 69 and 75 yards. On another running play that he recalled Thursday, he handled Pro Bowl defensive end Calais Campbell -- no easy task.

"I was able to seal him off," Seferian-Jenkins said. "Before, I know I definitely wouldn't have done that. That was a cool thing. That's where I think my game has improved, and being able to keep me on the field more than before. They're like, 'OK, we can trust him for the most part.' I'm getting closer to becoming a complete tight end."
    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/1 ... t_end.html
    Last edited by massari on Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    massari
    NET Veteran

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:

I don't.

What not ,,, cheaper, tuff matchup ... he was good this year IMO
    PaVloVa!8
    NET Bench Warmer

• He's also much younger than Graham. I have no idea what happened to Graham between the 20s this year. He was tearing it up last year and I figured he'd be healthier this year but it just didn't work out.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:

I don't.

Care to elaborate?

a) Do you want to keep Graham?
    b) Are you worried about ASJ's off-field troubles?
    c) Do you not like him as a player?

Any longer-term contract would surely have clauses related to off-field / substance abuse issues.

I think he'd be a good pickup if Graham leaves.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

• PaVloVa!8 wrote:I think replacing Graham by ASJ would be a nice move ...

If by nice you mean replacing Graham with guy who's head has never been on strait, and he'd be more likely to be suspended at some point and has less production in his entire hear than Graham has in an avg year, then id agree. Otherwise he's not a replacement for any of our TE.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• PaVloVa!8 wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:

I don't.

What not ,,, cheaper, tuff matchup ... he was good this year IMO

In his entire career he has 105 catches, just over 1000 yds and 10 TD. He's a decent backup, that's it.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• ASJ is terrible bro, he'll be out of the league in 2 years
    "God Bless Russell Wilson"
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran

• If he's really gotten over his drinking and off field issues then ASJ is one of the most talented TE's in the league. I'd love to see if we could get him here on a short cheap deal.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• ASJ would be a good fit with Vannett. And I like Marques Lee. If we can replace Graham and Richardson for those two and save a few mil I would be all for it. Of course I would rather keep Graham and P-Rich but they will cost too much.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

• Given Schottenheimer's offense, I think Allen Robinson would be a better target.
    Mojambo
    NET Veteran

• Never mind. Different rules for different folks, I suppose.
    Last edited by Hawk Finn on Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Hawk Finn
    NET Veteran

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:

I don't.

Me either. We have some extremely talented young tight ends in Swoops and Vannette.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

• Would love to see ASJ here.
    Hasselbeck wrote:Matt Flynn should be our starter. Wilson is nothing more than a backup and will never amount to anything in this league.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• Mojambo wrote:Given Schottenheimer's offense, I think Allen Robinson would be a better target.

Lol. With what cap space?
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie

• massari wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:

I don't.

He'll probably be half the price of Graham and is becoming a willing blocker:

One problem: He didn't grasp the importance of blocking, especially in the running game, and just aspired to be a prolific, pass-catching tight end.

"I think earlier in my career, that's just what I wanted to be," he told NJ Advance Media. "I'm 25, and I'm [in my] fourth year, and I just want to be a complete tight end. I want to be the best complete tight end."

Now in his second season with the Jets, he is taking big steps toward that.

He was a run-blocking force in last Sunday's win over the Jaguars, playing key blocking roles on touchdown runs of 69 and 75 yards. On another running play that he recalled Thursday, he handled Pro Bowl defensive end Calais Campbell -- no easy task.

"I was able to seal him off," Seferian-Jenkins said. "Before, I know I definitely wouldn't have done that. That was a cool thing. That's where I think my game has improved, and being able to keep me on the field more than before. They're like, 'OK, we can trust him for the most part.' I'm getting closer to becoming a complete tight end."
    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/1 ... t_end.html

Jimmy Graham gave the same lip-service answers when we brought him here.

"Listen, man, I'm 270 pounds. I can block anybody I want to," he said, via 710 ESPN Seattle. "It's all about want-to. We'll see come this first Sunday."

"For me, that's really the main focus of this offseason is really to get my mind wrapped around this run game because it is a little different," Graham told 710 ESPN recently. "I've never been in a read-option type of system, but they also do just straight-up run the ball. So for me it's some different concepts, and their footwork is a lot different than the way I've done it. But it's exciting, something new and I think just the evolution of kinda my game and growing as a player."

The entire Seahawks coaching staff has talked to Graham about the importance of blocking in their system, and according to offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, “it’s something that he's totally willing to do.”

“He's excited about it,” Bevell said. “I think he kinda has a little chip; he wants to prove it as well. We're looking forward to that."
    JimmyG
    NET Rookie

• ImTheScientist wrote:Would love to see ASJ here.

He's supposedly improved as a blocker, which we have been missing at TE. His last couple years in the league have been very inefficient, so maybe he can be had for close to the vet minimum.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• adeltaY wrote:He's also much younger than Graham. I have no idea what happened to Graham between the 20s this year. He was tearing it up last year and I figured he'd be healthier this year but it just didn't work out.

I think it is a couple things.

For one, while bevell was getting better at designing plays for his strengths, he was still not good at getting the matchups to use Jimmy's stongest play, which is the block out turn and catch. We did it quite a bit in the endzone this year, but bev seemed to have him on running crosses a lot where jimmys lack of speed was a weakness. It allowed defenses to jump his routes and block the pass or intercept it. Put Jimmy in the position on stop routes when the defense bitzed and he could block out the lone defender covering him and use his body and size to make the catch.

Secondly, I think Jimmy became gunshy of getting smashed in the middle. He took some brutal hits and I'm sure it was on his mind when between the 20's. He is not a young buck anymore.

I'm not very familiar with ASJ's play, but if cheap enough and we end up not being able to afford Jimmy then he might be a good contender for a 1 year prove it deal. With the unknowns we have with coaches this year, it might be a good idea to see if we can find some of the guys like lynch and bennett that weren't stellar before they got here. If they don't work out, no cap hit in 2019 if you cut them. The next couple years we will be riding the cap so we have to be careful about expensive deals with guys who might be aging out.
    johnnyfever
    NET Veteran

• I think Graham is the better overall player of the two.
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

• Bigpumpkin wrote:I think Graham is the better overall player of the two.

Gotta say I agree with you there, Bud!
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

• Grahamhawker wrote:
    Bigpumpkin wrote:I think Graham is the better overall player of the two.

Gotta say I agree with you there, Bud!

I haven't heard anyone disagree with this.

I think it comes down to:1-can we afford Jimmy and still have the resources for the other positions we need to spend on

and
    2-Will ASJ be servicable in that position for the money and possibly allow us to invest in other areas that will have a greater impact on win percentage?

I don't know much about ASJ, so I can't make a judgement on if he is servicable or not. What I am concerned with is spending a bunch of our literally non existent cap space on a luxury item. If we think Jimmy is one of the pieces absolutely necessary, then do it. I personally like him, but see other areas that need the money first as we rarely use him efficiently, and he is really more of a huge receiver than he is a complete TE. If they could figure out a way to address our other positions and Jimmy is willing to ink a team friendly deal, at least in the short term until we dig ourselves out of our cap issues, then I say we keep him. Just seems like it will be a tough deal to get done. Maybe use him as trade fodder to gain other positions and picks. I just want whatever gives us the best chance to bring home another Lombardi.
    johnnyfever
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:38 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information