Kam

hawks85

Reaction score
Well i was just watching the news and going over Seahawks off season. They said Kam may have to retire completely because of his neck injury. Its not confirmed but thats what they were talking about.

RussB

Reaction score
He may or may not retire. Nobody knows for sure, if you look at kams tweets he looks like he is focused on coming back. And its his decision.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I love the guy and selfishly hope he plays, but for his health and his after football life he probably should retire.
He’d probably make a great coach.

I’m sure he’s saved his money, and he has something no one can take away, being a Super Bowl champion.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Yep. I know his importance to the defense. I know he's basically a safety and an edge sealing LB at the same time. I know he allows us to not care so much about the strong side LB position and you almost get two players for one. If he were to be able to return, it would be one of the highlights of the offseason. You have an elite safety and elite LB all in one who's almost an on field coach.

The real question is if that's what he SHOULD do. It's a legitimate question of what it's worth.

renofox

Reaction score
He leaves money on the table if he retires.

Financially, he has all the motivation in the world to "attempt to come back from injury" even if he intends to never play another down.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":xxmonq6b said:
I love the guy and selfishly hope he plays, but for his health and his after football life he probably should retire.
He’d probably make a great coach.

I’m sure he’s saved his money, and he has something no one can take away, being a Super Bowl champion.

And I selfishly hope he retires so we can forfeit paying him the rest of his contract. McDougald is more than capable.

hawk45

Reaction score
Kam hasn't played at monster level for 3 years so at the moment I would rather have mcdougald out there. If I thought we could have prime Kam I'd be ecstatic but that isn't an option.

It's too bad, but the game he hurt himself I was saying wow this is the first I can remember in years that Kam had multiple signature hits and was a force on the field.

A-Dog

Reaction score
1. Kam is still an elite player when healthy
2. Kam's presence in terms of leadership and running the defense is severely underrated here
3. McDougald is adequate but not even close to being at Kam's level, much less better than Kam
4. Without Kam, the LOB loses its teeth and intimidation is no longer a factor
5. I'm convinced that Kam's holdout, subsequent "undeserved" extension, and injury troubles have caused fans to sour on him in general, leading to armchair performance assessments that are way off base and lacking any real rigor or objectivity. That is a shame because Kam is a unique player in the history of the NFL and quite possibly the best SS to have ever played the game. He will be in the HOF someday.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Kam_Chancellor/status/951619600373858304[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bscardenas8/status/951616728881967104[/tweet]

:179417:

hawksmode

Reaction score
I have a feeling he will try and come back....not play a down this year...and still get paid cause he "tried"

original poster

Reaction score
There's basically 4 options with Kam -

Option 1 - He retires, in this situation his dead money would only be $7.5M. You can take all of that hit in 2018 if you want

OR

Option 2 - do a post June 1st cut and make the dead money in 2018 $2.5M with cap savings of $7.3M for 2018 but with $5M in dead money in 2019 ($2.5M dead money in 2018 and £5M dead money in 2019 totalling $7.5M) That's option 2.

Option 3 would be to cut him. This is not going to happen as his $12M injury guarantee plus his $7.5M dead money mentioned above would come off the cap, some $19.5M lost in cap space.

Option 4 - He stays on the team unable to play and collects his salary and brings nothing to the table.

I guess you could technically get another team to pay for his contract by offering them Kam + whatever draft pick in return for the teams 7th round pick, not sure where the league would stand with that but as far as I know there's nothing stopping that from happening. Doubtful, though.

As it stands, I see option 4 the most likely or maybe he and the team come to some agreement and he retires.

MagnificentSeven

Reaction score
original poster":1040c3uw said:
There's basically 4 options with Kam -

Option 1 - He retires, in this situation his dead money would only be $7.5M. You can take all of that hit in 2018 if you want

OR

Option 2 - do a post June 1st cut and make the dead money in 2018 $2.5M with cap savings of $7.3M for 2018 but with $5M in dead money in 2019 ($2.5M dead money in 2018 and £5M dead money in 2019 totalling $7.5M) That's option 2.

Option 3 would be to cut him. This is not going to happen as his $12M injury guarantee plus his $7.5M dead money mentioned above would come off the cap, some $19.5M lost in cap space.

Option 4 - He stays on the team unable to play and collects his salary and brings nothing to the table.

I guess you could technically get another team to pay for his contract by offering them Kam + whatever draft pick in return for the teams 7th round pick, not sure where the league would stand with that but as far as I know there's nothing stopping that from happening. Doubtful, though.

As it stands, I see option 4 the most likely or maybe he and the team come to some agreement and he retires.

Wouldn't he still have to pass a physical to stay on the team? If he is suffering a degenerative neurological issue, that can only get worse, I'm not sure how he passes one.

For the first time in years, Pete Carroll was pretty straight-forward with Kam and Avril's career prospects, and I think that portends an exercise of Option 2...the Doctors have told the team that both risk greater injury by playing again...the Seahawks, since they gain nothing by cutting them now, will wait it out until the summer, and when that June 1 cut-down day comes and goes, both will probably be gone with it.

I love Kam. I own a jersey of his that I'll prize forever, but the reality is he has likely played his last day as a Seahawk.

original poster

Reaction score
Well I guess he'd just stay on IR/PUP and not come off it. The team can't force him to retire to make option 2 viable.

The only way I see him retiring is if the team agrees to redo his contract, get him some immediate money to leave with and make it as cap friendly as possible.

Steve2222

Reaction score
A-Dog":sfx6cj8k said:
2. Kam's presence in terms of leadership and running the defense is severely underrated here
3. McDougald is adequate but not even close to being at Kam's level, much less better than Kam
5. I'm convinced that Kam's holdout, subsequent "undeserved" extension, and injury troubles have caused fans to sour on him in general, leading to armchair performance assessments that are way off base and lacking any real rigor or objectivity. That is a shame because Kam is a unique player in the history of the NFL and quite possibly the best SS to have ever played the game. He will be in the HOF someday.

McDougald is without a doubt better than Kam in coverage. And if Kam retires tomorrow, he’d be waiting a long while to make the Hall. And he is not better than Troy Polamalu. Take off your rosy Seahawks glasses for a second.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
original poster":1q2lud4s said:
There's basically 4 options with Kam - <snip>

What about Option 5 - he returns and plays at a high level because injuries can heal. There seems to be about 0% of you entertaining this option in your heads. Mostly just cynicism about how he can cheat his way into the most $$ for nothing versus how the Seahawks can screw him over for the most $$. :roll:

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
I'm sure there's lots of people in the NFL that are better than Kam in coverage. But that's not what he gets paid to do. He's paid to play "in the box" and help stop the run. Anyone that knows Pete's defense knows that.

McDougald is a good player, but there's a reason why he was available from TB. He's not a game changer.

I don't think it's "rosy" to see that McD doesn't bring the same fire, the same intensity as Kam. No one is looking to McDougald to get the secondary on the same page. No one is scared to go over the middle against McD.

And if Kam doesn't come back, McDougald is not going to be the guy that you just plug in and everything is fine.

Own The West

Reaction score
Steve2222":7ygw616y said:
A-Dog":7ygw616y said:

McDougald is without a doubt better than Kam in coverage. And if Kam retires tomorrow, he’d be waiting a long while to make the Hall. And he is not better than Troy Polamalu. Take off your rosy Seahawks glasses for a second.

Kam has lost a step and can't get to the play in time to BE an enforcer.

I'd rather have pass breakups and no-throws than an ESPN highlight tackle 3 times a year.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
...and in the meantime the run game suffers. But hey, people aren't completing seam route passes to the TE on the regular.

Clap it out everyone. Thanks McD.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
There are a lot of borderline disparaging comments in here about a guy that was easily as important, if not more important, than Russell Wilson in getting us to a SB.

Every bit as important as Lynch, Kam was the guy on the other side that stopped the run and shut down the middle.

And if he cannot play for health reasons, by all means. But if he can, this team is better for it.

Some weirdly passive aggressive comments about him in this thread, considering there should be a statue of him, Browner, Thomas, Sherman and Lynch outside of the stadium for getting us our first and only SB victory.

Really weird that people are upset about a guy that earned his money making this team great and then getting injured in the process when you see our FO squander the exact amount, if not more, on waste of space signings like Lacy or JokeL. Kam does eat some cap, but maybe if we quit wasting money on garbage veteran signing FAs for high dollars that impact would not be so great?

Kam coming back is better for this team.

If he is jeopardizing his health? Obviously I do not want him to play. But he earned every penny he is making and proved it the year he held out (we suddenly got a LOT worse, including the effectiveness of Thomas). Kam was a key reason that defense was as good as it was, and it is very laughable to argue that McDougal makes us better than when a healthy or even an 80% Kam is out there.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I appreciate everything Kam has done for the team and I loved watching him play, but...he should have been traded in the offseason after his holdout. And before you start saying I'm a fickle fan, I was on this train since his holdout feel free to check my posts.