Brian Schottenheimer - Distraction

jmahon316

Reaction score
I'm not entirely convinced Schottenheimer will be our new OC, I think the FO is using this as a distraction to throw off everyone in order to get DeFilippo. It would make sense, as it's taking a while to pull the trigger on Schottenheimer with no official confirmation from the FO and the Eagles just beat the Falcons, so maybe PC and JS are biding their time for now and throwing the scent off their trail?

I'd be ecstatic if this was the case.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
jmahon316":3gt4n11o said:
425HawkSpark":3gt4n11o said:
Put the pipe down bro

Is it really that unrealistic?

It's a bit unrealistic, sure. But it isn't outside the realm of possibility.

The only thing we have from accurate sources, for now, is that Schottenheimer was offered the position and a deal is being worked out.

Not confirmed - yet. We'll see. There may be a last-minute interview to shake things up.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
As long as their is no team confirmation, there is absolutely a possibility it will end up being someone else.

The news has been all over the place re our staff, with most ‘sources’ being wrong about our final moves.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Possible but not really plausible. Not sure why the distraction would be needed and is hard to believe we would wait till maybe Feb 5th to hire someone who might not even be interested in the job. BS is exactly the type of OC Pete would prefer.

DJrmb

Reaction score
If Brian Schottenheimer was their #1 choice I have a hard time believing the deal wouldn't be done already... There could be genuine interest, sure, but I don't think it's a stretch to say they could also be trying to look at someone else. Like maybe someone that can't talk yet because their team is still playing...

Seymour

Reaction score
DIdn't take Gruden long to sign Cable. If they really want him, it's hard to imagine it taking this long to get something done. Not sure what to think other than there may be another candidate they are still considering.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Always the possibility BS might not want the job or he'll take it with certain conditions. BS may decide he wants complete control over the play calling. If he's going to get fired, he should get fired for HIS decisions. Pete's been said to be responsible for a couple of bad decisions that had consequences. Keeping Bush on the sidelines at the end of the USC/Texas game and THE Super Bowl play.

BS may wait to see who the new HC at Indy is going to be.

NJlargent

Reaction score
This thread is pure wishful thinking. Just accept its shotty and try hard to extract some optimism

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
No matter the disappointment people felt when the Schotty hire was announced, most people, I think, weren't surprised. Pete is the show. He hires people who execute his vision. DeFillippo probably isn't that.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I wasn't disappointed at all when I heard about Schottenheimer actually. I always thought his dad had interesting offenses actually and sometimes it takes coaches a few stops before they put it all together (Pete Carroll, Belichick). However to me it's odd the deal isn't done yet if the Seahawks aren't eyeing or waiting on someone or something else...

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":trs4ov3q said:
Possible but not really plausible. Not sure why the distraction would be needed and is hard to believe we would wait till maybe Feb 5th to hire someone who might not even be interested in the job. BS is exactly the type of OC Pete would prefer.

I thought we just got rid of a B.S. OC.

hawk45

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1m4wfbaz said:
No matter the disappointment people felt when the Schotty hire was announced, most people, I think, weren't surprised. Pete is the show. He hires people who execute his vision. DeFillippo probably isn't that.

100% true.

Which is why I was prepared to be okay with it if Bevell stayed and we just replaced cable. The new OC was never going to be dramatically different.

Bottom line is Pete isn't ever going to be okay with innovating to the point where he can overcome lack of a run game. So if we get the run game fixed the offense was going to be better under Bevell or under some other OC with a similar philosophy.

I can live with Pete's vision. It's when he tried to combine his vision with a crap OL and OLC that I tear my hair out. You want deep drops and to pound the rock you cannot make OL lowest priority.

If Pete would ever run a quick passing attack for more than one game then OL would be less important. But Pete won't do that so he needed to accept that he needs to save his pennies elsewhere on the roster. Or get a "real" OL guru who can make do with lesser talent like he thought cable was. Cables approach guaranteed we'd have to spend 10m if we ever wanted a tackle and even then they wouldn't shine.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
In case this is new to anyone else, from http://www.kitsapsun.com/story/sports/n ... 030832001/

Schottenheimer’s offense ran it a whopping 607 times in 2009, the most in the league. The only other NFL team in the last 31 years to run the ball 600 times in a season is the 2004 Pittsburgh Steelers (618 rushes).
The Seahawks have never in their 42 years of existence rushed 600 times in a season. Not even when “Ground” Chuck Knox was their coach in the 1980s.

JGreen79

Reaction score
I think I remember reading something being said about a Seattle is interested in a QB coach for a playoff team. Is it to late to hope for Lombardi?