Offensive Line Coach options

nwHawk

Reaction score
Let's assume we do hire Schottenheimer, who becomes the offensive line coach? I don't know if he still wants to coach, but how about Paul Boudreau? He was Pete's OL coach in New Englang. He was Shotty's OK coach in St. Louis. Sounds just like what Pete wants:

Boudreau's stellar offensive lines over the years have helped pave the way for five running backs to top the 10,000-yard career rushing mark, including Barry Sanders, Curtis Martin, Thurman Thomas, Fred Taylor and Steven Jackson.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Boudreau

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I'll throw a name out - Chris Foerster. The guy who had the video of him doing cocaine posted.

Has completed extensive rehab since and pretty much lost everything, but wants to coach again. Seattle may be a good place for him to start a new life if he truly has changed.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
Two names intrigue me:

Brent Key - Current Alabama OL coach. If the team wants to make it easier for young OL prospect to transition into the NFL, and if they are considering adapting College OL schemes, why not get a young college coach to do the job. He fits the Pete Carrol culture and would bring a fresh perspective

Bill Callahan - ACH/ OL coach Washington Redskins. I believe that Callahan's contract just ended, and I am sure that Washington would want to resign him. Represents the opposite of Key - veteran coach with years of NFL success. Worked alongside Schottenheimer with Jets.

A-Dog

Reaction score
I'd rather have Brent Key than have Chirs Foerster doing key bumps.

Bill Callahan looks like he'd be a solid choice, assuming he's free to talk to other teams.

King Dog

Reaction score
You need to start thinking about coaches that everyone else thinks are garbage. There you will have your pool of candidates.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":308tsjui said:
I'll throw a name out - Chris Foerster. The guy who had the video of him doing cocaine posted.

Has completed extensive rehab since and pretty much lost everything, but wants to coach again. Seattle may be a good place for him to start a new life if he truly has changed.

No thanks, what is it with fans and even coaches wanting to take second chances on people, who have proven they probably don't deserve a second chance? Why not just go with the proven hire talked about above your post. I don't like this whole go get a guy from the supermarket and start him at left tackle, same thing can be said with coaching. Not everyone is fixable and not everyone's destiny is to coach in the NFL.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
King Dog":1slyzlvx said:
You need to start thinking about coaches that everyone else thinks are garbage. There you will have your pool of candidates.

BAM! Nailed it.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":3pkmqbmk said:
Maelstrom787":3pkmqbmk said:

No thanks, what is it with fans and even coaches wanting to take second chances on people, who have proven they probably don't deserve a second chance? Why not just go with the proven hire talked about above your post. I don't like this whole go get a guy from the supermarket and start him at left tackle, same thing can be said with coaching. Not everyone is fixable and not everyone's destiny is to coach in the NFL.

Regarding Boudreau, the man doesn't seem to want to coach anymore, and his last gig was with the Rams didn't go all that great. Sure, he's had some historical success with the run game, but his recent stuff doesn't scream "must have candidate!" I suppose you think he's fixable, though? ;) Does he deserve a second chance? Did Pete?

Now, on to Foerster. Its apparent you have literally zero clue who he is. He isn't some JAG of a coach, or "guy from the supermarket." He's coached some damn good offensive lines and coordinated some damn good run games. He was the OL coach in Washington when Alfred Morris had 3 straight 1000 yard seasons. In his most recent full season, 2016, Jay Ajayi put up a healthy 1300 yards behind his line. He has actual recent success coaching offensive lines in the NFL.

He's an experienced, talented coach. Not a legendarily good coach, but solid. His main issue is with questionable off-the-field character, which is why he is probably not a candidate. If the guy is sober, I don't see why he doesn't deserve a second chance. There's a reason teams were trying to poach him, and Miami kept blocking them and raised his salary to $2.5m per year to keep him around.

He'll be back in the league not too long from now, and he'll probably go on to coach more pretty good offensive lines.

Gio

Reaction score
King Dog":1rvizxby said:

so true ! lol

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Mularkey was just fired by the Titans. OL coach Russ Grimm may be available soon.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Alright guys, if you don't mind, I'd like to put in my .02 and provide a little direction to the conversation.
In 2017, these were the top 10 teams in terms of rushing yards gained from scrimmage ...

1. Jacksonville
2. Dallas
3. Philadelphia
4. Carolina
5. New Orleans
6. Buffalo
7. Minnesota
8. LA Rams
9. Kansas City
10. New England

That's no coincidence that those teams happen to be playoff teams this year. There's a REASON why Pete Carroll emphasizes running the football (why it's part of his DNA) -- why it's among his core values. You see it right there for yourself.

Anyway, here are a few guiding questions that I have:

1) As you take a look at those top 10 rushing teams there, what is it that they are doing (scheme and personnel-wise) that is so different than what the Seahawks have been doing under Tom Cable/Darrell Bevell? How are those teams finding success running the ball?

2) I think that we can agree that the Zone Blocking Scheme probably isn't going anywhere. Pete's used that since his days at USC. I honestly don't have a lot of time to watch a lot of OTHER NFL teams ... so, how many of those teams listed above are Zone Blocking Teams?

3) For those teams that are Zone Blocking Teams, how does their system DIFFER from the one that Tom Cable has been trying to implement here? Case in point -- Duane Brown. When Duane Brown first came here, he was dominant. As Ray Roberts pointed out, as time progressed, he started to regress, as he started to implement Cable's techniques. Can those out there who are really up on all the little nuances of line play explain HOW those systems differ? Take me inside to the finer points if you can.

4) If you endorse a particular candidate for Offensive Line Coach, can you explain WHY Candidate X would be a good fit here in Seattle?

Just a few guiding questions that I think might be helpful as we all collectively think about the Offensive Line Coach position here in Seattle.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Wow. We went three posts in here before someone mentioned Bill Callahan.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":1p189vos said:
Bill Callahan - ACH/ OL coach Washington Redskins. I believe that Callahan's contract just ended, and I am sure that Washington would want to resign him. Represents the opposite of Key - veteran coach with years of NFL success. Worked alongside Schottenheimer with Jets.

This would be my #1 target with a bullet.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3rquz9lt said:
Mularkey was just fired by the Titans. OL coach Russ Grimm may be available soon.
Don't understand why Tennessee let him go. "Mutually agreed to part ways." I mean, Tennessee didn't beat New England but damn, a few, does, especially in playoffs.

I feel the Titans are going to be set back with this move.

I hope he lands in Seattle.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":2fb11fpx said:
Maelstrom787":2fb11fpx said:
Don't understand why Tennessee let him go. "Mutually agreed to part ways." I mean, Tennessee didn't beat New England but damn, a few, does, especially in playoffs.

I feel the Titans are going to be set back with this move.

I hope he lands in Seattle.

He coached a good line in Tenn for a scrambling QB. Seems like it could be a good fit.

Seymour

Reaction score
A-Dog":1w2ockjd said:
I'd rather have Brent Key than have Chirs Foerster doing key bumps.

Bill Callahan looks like he'd be a solid choice, assuming he's free to talk to other teams.

King Dog":1w2ockjd said:

Callahan....pool????

Yes, I can see this working well with Ifedi! :twisted:

V1