Sherman..

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Serious question...do you think he gets cut to get some cap relief to sign a few guys? I could see a trade to Oakland and him doing well there. What are the odds really that 25 stays here?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
For the first time, I would say that Sherman is expendable. We have Maxwell and Griffin, with Shead and Coleman backing them up. We also have severe needs, unprecedented in the PC era, to free up some money and recover some draft picks. So nothing is off the table.

But it would still be a case of B grade corners replacing an A grade shutdown corner. People are currently way too eager to apply abstract value assessments and seek places to save money, and completely forget to acknowledge a player's actual value on the field. Graham, Britt, Bennett, the Richardsons, the Legion..."nobody's irreplaceable", but at the same time, when it comes to their play, a lot of them really are. Especially given this draft.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Cyrus12":23izomdy said:
Serious question...do you think he gets cut to get some cap relief to sign a few guys? I could see a trade to Oakland and him doing well there. What are the odds really that 25 stays here?
Nope. That’s just a fantasy of the “Moore-ons” (see fans of Jim Moore) who are still pissed Sherm gave Moore “the red ass” and the Bevell fanclub who are still bitter he was yelling at that underperforming coach.

First, you don’t trade away one of the best shutdown corners in the league, that’s just plain dumb.

Secondly the cap relief and what you would receive in return would never come close to the talent you are giving up.

Third, he is coming off a significant injury, which hurts what you would get back in return even more.

massari

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":296mtqj3 said:
Cyrus12":296mtqj3 said:
Secondly the cap relief and what you would receive in return would never come close to the talent you are giving up.

Third, he is coming off a significant injury, which hurts what you would get back in return even more.
It's $11M in cap relief. That's a pretty significant player or two.

There have been players from the past coming off pretty major injuries traded for high picks.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
massari":iw378duy said:
Sports Hernia":iw378duy said:
Cyrus12":iw378duy said:

There have been players from the past coming off pretty major injuries traded for high picks.
You are creating a huge hole, that 11 million in cap relief won’t fill.
Still a dumb idea, unless you are going into total rebuild mode which would get rid of Russ, Earl, Bobby, KJ etc etc etc.

You’d have more of an argument if we were killing every draft like 2011-2012 and we were capable of drafting good to great offensive linemen.

massari

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2i07zdzh said:
massari":2i07zdzh said:
Sports Hernia":2i07zdzh said:
Cyrus12":2i07zdzh said:

You’d have more of an argument if we were killing every draft like 2011-2012 and we were capable of drafting good to great offensive linemen.
At this point, would the Seahawks be better off with a 30 year old Sherman coming off a major injury or a free agent like say LG Andrew Norwell?

LolaRox

Reaction score
Unless, as Sports Hernia said, they are going to go through a complete rebuild this doesn't make sense to me. Sherm is a still very valuable to this team and is earning/worth his money.

The defense will probably already be without Avril and/or Kam. The CB that should go is Lane.

There are other ways to save cap - Lane, Avril, Ryan...

MontanaHawk05":363okm9w said:
For the first time, I would say that Sherman is expendable. We have Maxwell and Griffin, with Shead and Coleman backing them up. We also have severe needs, unprecedented in the PC era, to free up some money and recover some draft picks. So nothing is off the table...
Maxwell and Shead are both FA so you don't 'have' either of those and Coleman is RFA. Griffin was an Ok rookie but nothing spectacular. Going into next season there are four corners under contract (I think). Sherm, Griffin, Thorpe and Elliot.

Either way Maxwell+Shead ≠ Sherm

Sports Hernia":363okm9w said:
hgwellz12":363okm9w said:
Stopppittt
+1

+another

THE TABS

Reaction score
Before the injury, I’d have said no way we get rid of Sherm. Now, I’d say it’s a 50/50 proposition.

I believe you don’t cut a guy just for cap relief. I cut him for relief AND his play has declined. Sherm is still one of the best there is. I’d like to keep him, but if it means we extend Earl Thomas, then I’d choose Earl over Sherm.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
massari":1sgep1xb said:
Sports Hernia":1sgep1xb said:
massari":1sgep1xb said:
Sports Hernia":1sgep1xb said:

At this point, would the Seahawks be better off with a 30 year old Sherman coming off a major injury or a free agent like say LG Andrew Norwell?
I’ll go with the shutdown corner, thank you. Plus, we don’t know what type of zone blocking scheme we are going to be running, will it be something like Cable ran that made Duane Brown look pedestrian or something that can work? If What happened to Brown after he was traded here happens to Norwell, is that worth trading a guy that takes away one side of the field most of the time from oposing offenses?

I’d say no.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":41salgxv said:
Cyrus12":41salgxv said:
Nope. That’s just a fantasy of the “Moore-ons” (see fans of Jim Moore) who are still pissed Sherm gave Moore “the red ass” and the Bevell fanclub who are still bitter he was yelling at that underperforming coach.

First, you don’t trade away one of the best shutdown corners in the league, that’s just plain dumb.

I'm for whatever the FO wants to do but if he has no trade value because of his injury then wouldn't that mean you can't justify his current salary either.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
The good thing about all this is Pete can't sit on his hands anymore. His hand has been forced and he will need to make the best decisions possible to ensure any success he wants to have moving forward. I think alot will be said about how long he stays here based on the team he fields in this upcoming year, more than any other years. Can't keep everyone, and there are some guys that have been here a long time that he will need to make decisions about.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
As much as I like him, keeping him one more year is a risk. Is it worth 11million? If I were spending my own money, I'd let him go.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
If you're willing to part ways with Sherm, you gotta make sure the money you distribute elsewhere will make a bigger impact than if Sherm is still playing.

Who do you pay instead? Current guys? Some free agent?

You can't currently trade Sherm.

Not exactly easy to just "get rid of him" and that's that.