Do we get any cap relief if Kam retires this offseason?

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Not exactly sure how the salary cap plays out with a situation like this, but I was wondering if we will receive any cap relief with Kam retiring. Forgive me for being ignorant on this topic but I believe most of it is dead money, correct?

scrummymustard

Reaction score
Hawks would save $2.08 million if he were to retire.....

but that is 100% not going to happen as his 2018 base salary of $6.8 million fully guarantees on 2/9/18, which is frankly already guaranteed for injury (along with $5.2 million of his 2019 base salary). He would be giving up $12 million to retire, or he could continue to come to work, not play and get paid $12 million. (assuming he can't ever play again)

massari

Reaction score
If he wants to retire but sticks around to get paid, could he make some sort of deal to retire and take a random coaching/mentoring job which pays the same amount but doesn't affect the cap?

OP
OP
N

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
scrummymustard":1tmhaort said:

but that is 100% not going to happen as his 2018 base salary of $6.8 million fully guarantees on 2/9/18, which is frankly already guaranteed for injury (along with $5.2 million of his 2019 base salary). He would be giving up $12 million to retire, or he could continue to come to work, not play and get paid $12 million. (assuming he can't ever play again)

So the team basically has no options regarding that money, it's just all essentially Kam's at this point.

Such a poor signing, ugh! Hindsight is 20/20 of course. I wonder if Pete's decision to resign him had anything to do with Kam's holdout in 2015, he should never let the players dictate business and I'm not saying he does fully, but it makes you wonder.

rossob

Reaction score
scrummymustard":121k6v0i said:

Why would Kam lose out on 12 mill if he were to retire, but we'd only save 2 mill?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
massari":185t3e9z said:
If he wants to retire but sticks around to get paid, could he make some sort of deal to retire and take a random coaching/mentoring job which pays the same amount but doesn't affect the cap?
I’m pretty sure that’s a huge NO-NO. The Hawks are stuck with that cap hit minus the 2+ million I believe.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
rossob":1wlw49vg said:
scrummymustard":1wlw49vg said:

Why would Kam lose out on 12 mill if he were to retire, but we'd only save 2 mill?
Guaranteed money.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
My understanding is that if Kam retires then his contract is voided unless he were to come back. So the Hawks would not be on the hook for anything if he were to retire. However if he doesn't retire then the Hawks are on the hook for the guaranteed portion of the contract.
Most likely there will be some sort of settlement between the two parties were he receives some but not all of the guaranteed money and Kam retires.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Natethegreat":3lx9rvfx said:
My understanding is that if Kam retires then his contract is voided unless he were to come back. So the Hawks would not be on the hook for anything if he were to retire. However if he doesn't retire then the Hawks are on the hook for the guaranteed portion of the contract.
Most likely there will be some sort of settlement between the two parties were he receives some but not all of the guaranteed money and Kam retires.

It's not like he would retire stay home and do nothing. He will take some type of job.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Natethegreat":38f41pz7 said:
I stand corrected, I read the previous comment as cut not retired, my bad.

That being said Kam isn’t going to retire with that much $$$ on the line.

chris98251

Reaction score
On Thursday, hours after the NFL announced the Seahawks will play in London for the first time on Oct. 14 against Oakland, Chancellor hosted a question-and-answer session with fans on his Twitter account. Renowned for his intensity and his guarded public profile, Chancellor wrote the goal of his Twitter Q-and-A was to open up, to be more accessible, at least in this case to the internet folk.
So it was that one fan asked: “How do you feel about playing in the UK next year?”

Chancellor posted this response: "The travel will suck. But im grateful for the experience"

The travel will suck. But im grateful for the experience https://t.co/RCvg5l1drU
— The Enforcer (@Kam_Chancellor) January 12, 2018

His expectation is that he will try to be there.