Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Malik McDowell

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Malik McDowell
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:29 pm
  • Malik was just more in a string of arrogant moves by the Seahawks.

    Instead of taking an obvious choice and putting them in their natural position they take a flyer on a player with some pre-draft concerns thinking that they are smarter than everyone else. They keep swinging for the fences and have been striking out at an alarming rate. They need to just go for some singles and doubles and build a more solid team.
    JayhawkMike
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 21
    Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:06 pm


Re: Malik McDowell
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:44 pm
  • Or maybe they just having been picking the guys that YOU wanted them to pick?
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9326
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Malik McDowell
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:47 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Or maybe they just having been picking the guys that YOU wanted them to pick?


    We gave the niners Foster we could have taken Ramcyzk and the Saints would have taken Foster instead we traded down gave the niners Foster left outselves with zero premiere oline talent on the table but hey Cable might have even managed to screw up Ramcyzk who was probably the 2nd or 3rd best player on the Saints line as a rookie.
    randomation
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1235
    Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:35 pm


Re: Malik McDowell
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:52 pm
  • Easy to say after the fact that a pick was horrible. And I wanted them to take an O Lineman, clearly looking back now, Malik was a horrible pick. But I think people get way too worked up about picks when it's not a guy they wanted them to take. It has been that way for years. Including the local radio people. Instant butt hurt if it's not someone they haven't heard much about and/or that they wanted them to take. It's very rare that they do what we hope that they will do. Nobody should ever be surprised at that they do. If anything, the way they have picked early in the draft makes me hope they will trade down. They clearly do better work AFTER the 1st round.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9326
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Malik McDowell
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:05 pm
  • Mc OOooooops
    User avatar
    Seahawkville
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 124
    Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:04 pm


Re: Malik McDowell
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:11 pm
  • So far, that could change if he gets his butt on the field in 2018.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9326
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Malik McDowell
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:20 pm
  • It has been mentioned in this thread that there is no record of the ATV accident. Where did this accident supposedly occur? Does that state require personal injury accidents to be reported? If so, then there should be a police report. If this was never reported to the police, then why not? Was he under the influence of alcohol or drugs? There are a lot of unanswered questions in this post. If he was involved in a serious personal injury accident, then there should definitely be some sort of police report. One of the most common reasons why accidents like this go unreported, is because the driver is intoxicated.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    User avatar
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1516
    Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:11 pm


Re: Malik McDowell
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:24 pm
  • I never had any particular players I wanted instead. However, when the (supposed) draft experts list your areas of need and best available players and your picks are not in the areas of need nor in the best available over and over and over again it says something.

    You don't see the organizational arrogance? "We can draft a kicker and turn him into a star offensive lineman" type of bs? Hey, why don't we draft an olineman to be an olineman. How bloody hard is that?
    JayhawkMike
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 21
    Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:06 pm


Re: Malik McDowell
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:27 pm
  • WmHBonney wrote:It has been mentioned in this thread that there is no record of the ATV accident. Where did this accident supposedly occur? Does that state require personal injury accidents to be reported? If so, then there should be a police report. If this was never reported to the police, then why not? Was he under the influence of alcohol or drugs? There are a lot of unanswered questions in this post. If he was involved in a serious personal injury accident, then there should definitely be some sort of police report. One of the most common reasons why accidents like this go unreported, is because the driver is intoxicated.


    It was mid July and he was in Michigan somewhere.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4770
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


Re: Malik McDowell
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:37 pm
  • Seymour wrote:
    WmHBonney wrote:It has been mentioned in this thread that there is no record of the ATV accident. Where did this accident supposedly occur? Does that state require personal injury accidents to be reported? If so, then there should be a police report. If this was never reported to the police, then why not? Was he under the influence of alcohol or drugs? There are a lot of unanswered questions in this post. If he was involved in a serious personal injury accident, then there should definitely be some sort of police report. One of the most common reasons why accidents like this go unreported, is because the driver is intoxicated.


    It was mid July and he was in Michigan somewhere.


    So, are there any Michigan folks in here? Is it a law in Michigan that personal injury accidents be reported?
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    User avatar
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1516
    Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:11 pm


Re: Malik McDowell
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:46 pm
  • WmHBonney wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    WmHBonney wrote:It has been mentioned in this thread that there is no record of the ATV accident. Where did this accident supposedly occur? Does that state require personal injury accidents to be reported? If so, then there should be a police report. If this was never reported to the police, then why not? Was he under the influence of alcohol or drugs? There are a lot of unanswered questions in this post. If he was involved in a serious personal injury accident, then there should definitely be some sort of police report. One of the most common reasons why accidents like this go unreported, is because the driver is intoxicated.


    It was mid July and he was in Michigan somewhere.


    So, are there any Michigan folks in here? Is it a law in Michigan that personal injury accidents be reported?


    Not sure. What I had heard from Bell on the radio a month or so ago said they investigated and worked with the local news in the area the accident was in and found no trace of any accident. Being an ATV and not a licensed motor vehicle likely changes many of the reporting rules I would think (Police, accident...ect). The whole thing is really weird, and made worse by his failure to explain the incident. All I know is that to go to that extent to keep everything under raps takes a lot of effort and usually there is a very good reason to conceal information.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4770
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


Re: Malik McDowell
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:48 pm
  • The Experts don't know more than Pete and John, regardless what you think. Smell Diaper is not an expert.
    Most of these "experts" didn't even play the game. They are paid to make opinions. And it has zero impact and what a team is going to do. Like many teams, they have made some bad draft choices, but have also made a lot very good ones. Especially in the mid to late rounds.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9326
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Malik McDowell
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:55 pm
  • Seymour wrote:
    WmHBonney wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    WmHBonney wrote:It has been mentioned in this thread that there is no record of the ATV accident. Where did this accident supposedly occur? Does that state require personal injury accidents to be reported? If so, then there should be a police report. If this was never reported to the police, then why not? Was he under the influence of alcohol or drugs? There are a lot of unanswered questions in this post. If he was involved in a serious personal injury accident, then there should definitely be some sort of police report. One of the most common reasons why accidents like this go unreported, is because the driver is intoxicated.


    It was mid July and he was in Michigan somewhere.


    So, are there any Michigan folks in here? Is it a law in Michigan that personal injury accidents be reported?


    Not sure. What I had heard from Bell on the radio a month or so ago said they investigated and worked with the local news in the area the accident was in and found no trace of any accident. Being an ATV and not a licensed motor vehicle likely changes many of the reporting rules I would think (Police, accident...ect). The whole thing is really weird, and made worse by his failure to explain the incident. All I know is that to go to that extent to keep everything under raps takes a lot of effort and usually there is a very good reason to conceal information.


    In NY state, an ATV is not classified as a motor vehicle. However, personal injury ATV accidents are reportable. Further, you can be arrested for DWI while operating an ATV, and, even though you do not need a license to operate an ATV, the arrest WILL have a negative impact on your driver's license. The local news media in that area should have checked with the police and go from there.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    User avatar
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1516
    Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:11 pm


Re: Malik McDowell
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:06 pm
  • WmHBonney wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    WmHBonney wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    It was mid July and he was in Michigan somewhere.


    So, are there any Michigan folks in here? Is it a law in Michigan that personal injury accidents be reported?


    Not sure. What I had heard from Bell on the radio a month or so ago said they investigated and worked with the local news in the area the accident was in and found no trace of any accident. Being an ATV and not a licensed motor vehicle likely changes many of the reporting rules I would think (Police, accident...ect). The whole thing is really weird, and made worse by his failure to explain the incident. All I know is that to go to that extent to keep everything under raps takes a lot of effort and usually there is a very good reason to conceal information.


    In NY state, an ATV is not classified as a motor vehicle. However, personal injury ATV accidents are reportable. Further, you can be arrested for DWI while operating an ATV, and, even though you do not need a license to operate an ATV, the arrest WILL have a negative impact on your driver's license. The local news media in that area should have checked with the police and go from there.


    He said they checked all that. Police, hospitals, 911 records....ect and came up with nothing. All very suspect IMO. Say something else really happened like he got hit in the head with a brick in a fight. A call to his lawyer / agent could concoct this false story to cover things up also.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4770
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


Re: Malik McDowell
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:36 pm
  • In this day and age, it's nothing short of incredible that this has been so secretive. To this day, we STILL have no true details. It's crazy.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9326
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Malik McDowell
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:42 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:In this day and age, it's nothing short of incredible that this has been so secretive. To this day, we STILL have no true details. It's crazy.


    Yep....yet Lord Brady gets bit by a dog and it's instant world news. :roll:

    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4770
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


Re: Malik McDowell
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:53 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Easy to say after the fact that a pick was horrible. .


    except the fact that the concerns about his motivation were expressed PRIOR to the draft and it is why he fell........

    You go back to the draft forum and we were MANY that were pissed that they kept trading down and down out of the first round, give the 49ers a player they wanted (with a 5th year option) while we lost the 5th year option and didn't get one of the guys that we needed.

    Then the FO goes and trade for Brown during the year and proves the point........combined with Malik getting himself injured proving that point made PRIOR
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7114
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: Malik McDowell
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:06 pm
  • WmHBonney wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    WmHBonney wrote:It has been mentioned in this thread that there is no record of the ATV accident. Where did this accident supposedly occur? Does that state require personal injury accidents to be reported? If so, then there should be a police report. If this was never reported to the police, then why not? Was he under the influence of alcohol or drugs? There are a lot of unanswered questions in this post. If he was involved in a serious personal injury accident, then there should definitely be some sort of police report. One of the most common reasons why accidents like this go unreported, is because the driver is intoxicated.


    It was mid July and he was in Michigan somewhere.


    So, are there any Michigan folks in here? Is it a law in Michigan that personal injury accidents be reported?

    That would be Andrea"SeahawkGal"
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    User avatar
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3866
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 pm


Re: Malik McDowell
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:37 pm
  • Fans being mad has no bearing on who they pick. Let alone "experts"
    The league has plenty of players who came in with a questionable past and/or red flags. And they have turned out just fine.
    They took a shot, it didn't work. On to the next draft. Dwelling on it doesn't change a thing.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9326
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Malik McDowell
Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:17 pm
  • WmHBonney wrote:It has been mentioned in this thread that there is no record of the ATV accident. Where did this accident supposedly occur? Does that state require personal injury accidents to be reported? If so, then there should be a police report. If this was never reported to the police, then why not? Was he under the influence of alcohol or drugs? There are a lot of unanswered questions in this post. If he was involved in a serious personal injury accident, then there should definitely be some sort of police report. One of the most common reasons why accidents like this go unreported, is because the driver is intoxicated.


    I've never done any off-road ATVing, but if I were involved in an accident and I was the only one involved, it would never occur to me to report it to the police.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 105099
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm


Re: Malik McDowell
Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:08 pm
  • Would anyone here be slagging McDowell as draft bust if he'd played this last season after being drafted then tore an ACL?

    Doubt it, except for his drunken disrespectful stupidity after getting arrested for drunken foolishness in a bar. Is he respectful of authority? It clearly appears not. He he proven to be smart in his private life? It apears not, but young people frequently do and say stupid things. Can he play football at a high level? He's shown that in college with occasional motivational lapses. Will he pan out as a solid draft pick? Who knows for sure yet? Has he gotten off to a weak start? Absolutely! Am I disaaponted that he missed the whole of last season and my team paid for crappy ATV driving amd many medical assessments? Absolutely no doubt!

    How do we know he's a bust yet, he hasn't even played a single snap yet? Does someone here have crystal ball? Or is it really just more of I hated the pick when it was made and after the season they could have done so much better with player R or player F or whomever?

    Drafting players is far from a perfect science but this FO hasn't done too badly over the years. Applying retrospective thinking to the players drafted always leaves someone to say we'd have been so much better with player X instead of player Y, along with the obligatory "I always knew this player would be a bust", when drafting experts seemingly didn't think as much. Does this mean the team screwed up making his pick? I'm sure if they'd known he was going to have to be placed on NFI for a season and could potentially never play again after smashing his head and suffering a significant concussion in a rollover ATV accident they'd have passed on the player as well. he'd still have been drafted early for his immense potential.

    It was apparent the team graded his potential to be that of a first round pick and he was wideley thought to be one of the guys they possibly wanted at pick #25, yet were still able to get at pick #34 along with quite a few other picks. I'd bet they were happy with the pick at the time.

    Have the details of this accident ever been disclosed in any fullsome way? Nope! At this stage considering the one year free payment ride for McDowell on NFI it's about time for us to hear from McDowell as to what happened. The team is not allowed to talk about the player's injuries that were not part of his football career but if the player wants to maintain any ongoing credibility he needs to start talking about his situation and where he tinks things are going.

    H8Rs are going to H8. Reason and common sense often have little to do with opinions.

    Just sayin'.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5128
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 pm


Re: Malik McDowell
Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:40 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    HawkNuts wrote:This guy is a bum. Time to eat the wasted pick and move on.


    Why say this if McDowell can play, or has the possibility to play this year or next?

    Dude's not 34, he's 21. We can all be pissed off at his stupidity, yet still be patient to see if he can play or not.


    Just based on my observations over the last 30 years of NFL players

    I'm not mad at him. I genuinely wish him the best in life.

    Fans tend to underestimate how hard it is to make it in the NFL no matter how talented you are.

    There are a lot of guys out there working 24/7 to make themselves better. If you don't catch that train you get left behind in a hurry.
    User avatar
    HawkNuts
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 543
    Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:34 pm


Re: Malik McDowell
Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:04 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:
    WmHBonney wrote:It has been mentioned in this thread that there is no record of the ATV accident. Where did this accident supposedly occur? Does that state require personal injury accidents to be reported? If so, then there should be a police report. If this was never reported to the police, then why not? Was he under the influence of alcohol or drugs? There are a lot of unanswered questions in this post. If he was involved in a serious personal injury accident, then there should definitely be some sort of police report. One of the most common reasons why accidents like this go unreported, is because the driver is intoxicated.


    I've never done any off-road ATVing, but if I were involved in an accident and I was the only one involved, it would never occur to me to report it to the police.


    I have done a LOT OF OFF road ATVing...We have a lot of fun. A friend just got a killer a couple of years ago...and it almost had another. He got rid of it. NO accident filed as we were in our area. He has another wheeler and has learned the rules better. We also use them as a hunting tool. I rolled mine too but it was a slow roll. I have 3 of them. I do not wear a helmet as it is my choice and I pay attention to what is going on around me. Them deer better start paying more attention too. It is my life, I choose to do what I do. Have a great day.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    User avatar
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7726
    Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:20 pm
    Location: A little ways from Boise.


Re: Malik McDowell
Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:50 pm
  • Holy smokes. Is there ever going to be some real news on this guy? Unbelievable how close to the vest this has been kept.
    User avatar
    King Dog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1601
    Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:13 pm
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Malik McDowell
Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:11 am
  • It's nothing short of incredibly impressive how under wraps they've kept everything.

    Hats off to them.
    www.hawk-talk.com

    Image

    Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    User avatar
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 3140
    Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:55 am


Re: Malik McDowell
Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:08 am
  • Stuff happens, and some of it is simply bad luck.

    The whole fire his butt, cut bait rant here from a few fails to acknowledge this young man got hurt in a serious accident that caused him a head injury that prevented him even playing a single down of football last season. For certain he was widely considered a top tier prospect in the draft and that fact is known. Some ‘draft experts’ thought he may have motivational issues, yet was at times totally dominant positionally at an area the team needed help. We as fans saw nothing from him in a year except some potential along with galactic stupidity inferred from his accident and his involvement in a drunken fiasco which revealed self entitlement and significant disrespect of authority. Has the head injury that rendered him incapable of playing a down of football destroyed his potential to play professional football? So far we don’t know, but that doesn’t justify chopping this young player from the team, just giving up on him without examining his football potential as professional player. The decision on that will come this offseason

    Was the accident his fault? Simply we don’t know. It is a fair question why we don’t know more but the blame for that doesn’t rest with the team, but rather with the lack of media interest, weak reporting on the subject, and silence from McDowell who has significant self interest in keeping him mouth shut about a situation that places his professional career in jeopardy or could cost him more money than he would ever be able to repay. He has likely rec’d advice from his agent or lawyer to keep quiet. It would have been simply just another frustrating mystery save for his night out and fiasco at the club and disappointing poor behaviour towards the police. This raises a character question that only McDowell will need to answer as a football player and as a man. We will learn over time if the pick was a mistaken over reach and if the player can play at a level to justify his pick. So far the basis for that decision has not started well but that has zero to do with a single moment of play on the fielder any thing the team could have done about it.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5128
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 pm


Re: Malik McDowell
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:37 am
  • Great post Jammer, and I agree. I should clarify my comment "all I've seen is bust at this point". That means just that, it's all I've seen. But cutting him at this point is silly unless they have information that he cannot play again and it saves money, would be the only scenario that makes sense to cut him lose at this point.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4770
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


Re: Malik McDowell
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:38 am
  • True, zero reason to cut bait with him. The fact that he didn't play a down means they have him for the full original contract, which if he turns out to be a great player, nice.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9326
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Malik McDowell
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:55 am
  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:
    WmHBonney wrote:It has been mentioned in this thread that there is no record of the ATV accident. Where did this accident supposedly occur? Does that state require personal injury accidents to be reported? If so, then there should be a police report. If this was never reported to the police, then why not? Was he under the influence of alcohol or drugs? There are a lot of unanswered questions in this post. If he was involved in a serious personal injury accident, then there should definitely be some sort of police report. One of the most common reasons why accidents like this go unreported, is because the driver is intoxicated.


    I've never done any off-road ATVing, but if I were involved in an accident and I was the only one involved, it would never occur to me to report it to the police.


    I have done a LOT OF OFF road ATVing...We have a lot of fun. A friend just got a killer a couple of years ago...and it almost had another. He got rid of it. NO accident filed as we were in our area. He has another wheeler and has learned the rules better. We also use them as a hunting tool. I rolled mine too but it was a slow roll. I have 3 of them. I do not wear a helmet as it is my choice and I pay attention to what is going on around me. Them deer better start paying more attention too. It is my life, I choose to do what I do. Have a great day.


    I've also done a ton of riding in my life. If I had to guess, I'd say the number of days I've spent riding in the past 20 years is somewhere in the several hundreds. I ride a pretty highly modified high performance 700 sport quad and all the guys I ride with ride similar high performance machines. We like to go fast and we like to ride challenging terrain. Due to the nature of what we ride and how we ride, accidents are fairly common. Over the years we've had an untold number of injuries, everything from bumps, bruises, and cuts/scrapes to broken arms, legs, ribs, torn ACL's, concussions, etc. None of these have ever been reported to the police. The thought has never occurred to me and quite frankly, I have no idea what the point would be. Could you just imagine that conversation?

    Me: "Hey, just wanted to report that my buddy crashed his quad and broke his leg."
    Police: "Do you require assistance?"
    Me: "No, just reporting the incident."
    Police: "Why? What do you expect us to do with that information?"
    Me: "I don't know, just thought I was supposed to report it."
    Police: "So no laws were broken and you don't require assistance?"
    Me: "Correct."
    Police: "Uh, OK. Good luck and have a nice day."

    I mean, I'm sorry, but this idea that there would be a police report for a guy that crashed his quad is pretty absurd. Even if it is a law that something like that must be reported, and I highly doubt that it is, I don't think most people would even know about it and most of those that did know about it probably wouldn't bother.

    TL;DR, LOL at the idea that there should/would be a record of an ATV accident and even bigger LOL at the idea that there must be some conspiracy or cover up because there is no record of some dude messing around and crashing his ATV.

    Do you guys even think this stuff through before you post?
    User avatar
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2549
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:38 pm


Re: Malik McDowell
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:20 am
  • :snack:
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9326
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Malik McDowell
Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:05 pm
  • Chapow wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:
    WmHBonney wrote:It has been mentioned in this thread that there is no record of the ATV accident. Where did this accident supposedly occur? Does that state require personal injury accidents to be reported? If so, then there should be a police report. If this was never reported to the police, then why not? Was he under the influence of alcohol or drugs? There are a lot of unanswered questions in this post. If he was involved in a serious personal injury accident, then there should definitely be some sort of police report. One of the most common reasons why accidents like this go unreported, is because the driver is intoxicated.


    I've never done any off-road ATVing, but if I were involved in an accident and I was the only one involved, it would never occur to me to report it to the police.


    I have done a LOT OF OFF road ATVing...We have a lot of fun. A friend just got a killer a couple of years ago...and it almost had another. He got rid of it. NO accident filed as we were in our area. He has another wheeler and has learned the rules better. We also use them as a hunting tool. I rolled mine too but it was a slow roll. I have 3 of them. I do not wear a helmet as it is my choice and I pay attention to what is going on around me. Them deer better start paying more attention too. It is my life, I choose to do what I do. Have a great day.


    I've also done a ton of riding in my life. If I had to guess, I'd say the number of days I've spent riding in the past 20 years is somewhere in the several hundreds. I ride a pretty highly modified high performance 700 sport quad and all the guys I ride with ride similar high performance machines. We like to go fast and we like to ride challenging terrain. Due to the nature of what we ride and how we ride, accidents are fairly common. Over the years we've had an untold number of injuries, everything from bumps, bruises, and cuts/scrapes to broken arms, legs, ribs, torn ACL's, concussions, etc. None of these have ever been reported to the police. The thought has never occurred to me and quite frankly, I have no idea what the point would be. Could you just imagine that conversation?

    Me: "Hey, just wanted to report that my buddy crashed his quad and broke his leg."
    Police: "Do you require assistance?"
    Me: "No, just reporting the incident."
    Police: "Why? What do you expect us to do with that information?"
    Me: "I don't know, just thought I was supposed to report it."
    Police: "So no laws were broken and you don't require assistance?"
    Me: "Correct."
    Police: "Uh, OK. Good luck and have a nice day."

    I mean, I'm sorry, but this idea that there would be a police report for a guy that crashed his quad is pretty absurd. Even if it is a law that something like that must be reported, and I highly doubt that it is, I don't think most people would even know about it and most of those that did know about it probably wouldn't bother.

    TL;DR, LOL at the idea that there should/would be a record of an ATV accident and even bigger LOL at the idea that there must be some conspiracy or cover up because there is no record of some dude messing around and crashing his ATV.

    Do you guys even think this stuff through before you post?

    Yeah, reporting off-road incidents seems a bit of a stretch. I doubt if that applies anywhere and would be difficult to report anyway. I guess there would be an insurance claim of some kind for repair/personal injury treatment, assuming it is a major spill. Overall, though, I'm not sure there are that many laws about off-road riding beyond don't start forest fires and minimize the damage you do.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 14910
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Malik McDowell
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:55 pm
  • Really we probably have heard nothing because these guys threatened his family if he told that it was them.

    Image
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 23971
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Malik McDowell
Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:12 pm
  • Are you sure it was a squirrel?

    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 14910
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Malik McDowell
Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:20 pm
  • sutz wrote:Are you sure it was a squirrel?




    LOL run away run away....
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 23971
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Malik McDowell
Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:26 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    sutz wrote:Are you sure it was a squirrel?




    LOL run away run away....

    Obviously the source of the Napkin Defense.

    :twisted:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 14910
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: Malik McDowell
Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:29 pm
  • At this point I guess we have to assume he's just fine since he's out partying at the clubs
    User avatar
    King Dog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1601
    Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:13 pm
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Malik McDowell
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:49 pm
  • sutz wrote:
    Chapow wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:
    I've never done any off-road ATVing, but if I were involved in an accident and I was the only one involved, it would never occur to me to report it to the police.


    I have done a LOT OF OFF road ATVing...We have a lot of fun. A friend just got a killer a couple of years ago...and it almost had another. He got rid of it. NO accident filed as we were in our area. He has another wheeler and has learned the rules better. We also use them as a hunting tool. I rolled mine too but it was a slow roll. I have 3 of them. I do not wear a helmet as it is my choice and I pay attention to what is going on around me. Them deer better start paying more attention too. It is my life, I choose to do what I do. Have a great day.


    I've also done a ton of riding in my life. If I had to guess, I'd say the number of days I've spent riding in the past 20 years is somewhere in the several hundreds. I ride a pretty highly modified high performance 700 sport quad and all the guys I ride with ride similar high performance machines. We like to go fast and we like to ride challenging terrain. Due to the nature of what we ride and how we ride, accidents are fairly common. Over the years we've had an untold number of injuries, everything from bumps, bruises, and cuts/scrapes to broken arms, legs, ribs, torn ACL's, concussions, etc. None of these have ever been reported to the police. The thought has never occurred to me and quite frankly, I have no idea what the point would be. Could you just imagine that conversation?

    Me: "Hey, just wanted to report that my buddy crashed his quad and broke his leg."
    Police: "Do you require assistance?"
    Me: "No, just reporting the incident."
    Police: "Why? What do you expect us to do with that information?"
    Me: "I don't know, just thought I was supposed to report it."
    Police: "So no laws were broken and you don't require assistance?"
    Me: "Correct."
    Police: "Uh, OK. Good luck and have a nice day."

    I mean, I'm sorry, but this idea that there would be a police report for a guy that crashed his quad is pretty absurd. Even if it is a law that something like that must be reported, and I highly doubt that it is, I don't think most people would even know about it and most of those that did know about it probably wouldn't bother.

    TL;DR, LOL at the idea that there should/would be a record of an ATV accident and even bigger LOL at the idea that there must be some conspiracy or cover up because there is no record of some dude messing around and crashing his ATV.

    Do you guys even think this stuff through before you post?

    Yeah, reporting off-road incidents seems a bit of a stretch. I doubt if that applies anywhere and would be difficult to report anyway. I guess there would be an insurance claim of some kind for repair/personal injury treatment, assuming it is a major spill. Overall, though, I'm not sure there are that many laws about off-road riding beyond don't start forest fires and minimize the damage you do.


    As I said, it is a law in NY. It doesn't matter where the accident occurred. Just because you don't believe it, doesn't make you correct. The same requirement to report a personal injury accident applies to snowmobile and boating accidents also. Maybe it isn't a law where you ride but it is a law in NY.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    User avatar
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1516
    Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:11 pm


Re: Malik McDowell
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:33 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:True, zero reason to cut bait with him. The fact that he didn't play a down means they have him for the full original contract, which if he turns out to be a great player, nice.


    Not necessarily will the team be stuck with him for the full original contract. He could be cut after the preseason and the team just stuck with the prorated bonus. Alternatively, his contract would have tolled b/c of the full season on NFI so the team would be able to keep him for 4 further seasons on his rookie deal.

    My view is wait and see.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5128
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 pm


Re: Malik McDowell
Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:06 am
  • mikeak wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Easy to say after the fact that a pick was horrible. .


    except the fact that the concerns about his motivation were expressed PRIOR to the draft and it is why he fell........

    You go back to the draft forum and we were MANY that were pissed that they kept trading down and down out of the first round, give the 49ers a player they wanted (with a 5th year option) while we lost the 5th year option and didn't get one of the guys that we needed.

    Then the FO goes and trade for Brown during the year and proves the point........combined with Malik getting himself injured proving that point made PRIOR


    You didn't think that we were in need of a good DT? I thought we needed one. And btw the FO proved that they really thought we needed one by trading for Sheldon Richardson too...
    "It's payback, Russell Wilson falling way back, in the draft, turn nothing into something"
    rossob
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 157
    Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:22 pm


Re: Malik McDowell
Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:34 am
  • I kinda look at Malik as a late first round pick where we got the 5th year option. But in pre- training camp practice he somehow tore his ACL and was out his first year. So they still got him for 4 more years. This scenario is no different than other players who have had a less than meaningful impact their rookie year.

    Now, if he continues to not practice or play this next season then we have an issue and may need to part with him at some point. But right now I'm willing to give him the benefit of doubt and hope he comes on this year! There are far too many doubters on this board willing to call him a bust or whatever with no clear idea what is going on inside his head.

    Let's just give him a chance, like any other rookie who struggled or wasn't able to play his first year.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2562
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:52 pm


Re: Malik McDowell
Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:03 pm
  • We don't know the details of his contract as far as liability if he wan tingly puts himself at risk, remember when Okung did the running with the Bulls there was a bit of talk as well.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 23971
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Malik McDowell
Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:25 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:We don't know the details of his contract as far as liability if he wan tingly puts himself at risk, remember when Okung did the running with the Bulls there was a bit of talk as well.


    People def weren't thrilled about running with the bulls, but in that instance it wasn't a case of the FO spending high capital on a guy with questionable motivation, so it's a bit of apples and oranges.

    That said - and I think I said this earlier in the thread - the track record of this FO is even or better drafting players with off the field issues. To clarify: they've had players with issues who haven't popped, but the lack of pop has been for other football reasons, so lamenting the troubled-child draft approach as a way to get a bit better athlete/player is unwarranted.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8249
    Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:08 pm


Re: Malik McDowell
Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:51 pm
  • A lot of interesting takes on McDowell, my only hope is the guy learns from his mistake (or bad judgment I suppose) and he is able to come back healthy and come back this year and contribute and add to this years draft class since he isn't credited with a NFL season yet.
    NorCalSeahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1323
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:54 pm


Re: Malik McDowell
Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:32 pm
  • hawk45 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:We don't know the details of his contract as far as liability if he wan tingly puts himself at risk, remember when Okung did the running with the Bulls there was a bit of talk as well.


    People def weren't thrilled about running with the bulls, but in that instance it wasn't a case of the FO spending high capital on a guy with questionable motivation, so it's a bit of apples and oranges.

    That said - and I think I said this earlier in the thread - the track record of this FO is even or better drafting players with off the field issues. To clarify: they've had players with issues who haven't popped, but the lack of pop has been for other football reasons, so lamenting the troubled-child draft approach as a way to get a bit better athlete/player is unwarranted.


    Does not matter a rats ass about motivation, both were 1st round choices and a investment, both signed contracts, both would have been a big loss, Malik was since it required us to trade for Sheldon when other wise we may not have. Okung would have been also if he was injured. Looks , like Applesauce all the way thru to me.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 23971
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Malik McDowell
Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:47 am
  • One thing is for sure, I would bet good money there is now some kind of clause in EVERY contract the Seahawks sign with most if not all and specifically big money players that specifically outlines what is and what is not considered risky and therefore "breach of contract" types of behavior. (Let it be known from this day forward it is to be called the "MM Clause")

    Want to run with the bulls while you are under a multi million dollar contract and then get hurt doing so in a way that cuts your NFL career short or severely limits your once abundant abilities, your gonna be writing a big fat check back to the team or obtain enough insurance on your own dime to cover the re-payment.

    If they don't like it, don't sign the contract and then cash the check with all the ZERO's on it, you have the rest of your post football life to act out your wildest fantasies on your own dime.

    GO HAWKS!!!
    For those that choose to attend the temple "QWEST" bring your best and be LOUD.

    The opposition has no hope!!
    User avatar
    12HawkFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 545
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:50 am
    Location: Kitsap County


Re: Malik McDowell
Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:36 am
  • Yeah provided the CBA allows that you can guarantee it.

    I’d be surprised if something like that isn’t already written in though in honesty. He’s certainly not the first player to do something stupid after all.
    www.hawk-talk.com

    Image

    Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    User avatar
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 3140
    Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:55 am


Re: Malik McDowell
Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:08 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    hawk45 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:We don't know the details of his contract as far as liability if he wan tingly puts himself at risk, remember when Okung did the running with the Bulls there was a bit of talk as well.


    People def weren't thrilled about running with the bulls, but in that instance it wasn't a case of the FO spending high capital on a guy with questionable motivation, so it's a bit of apples and oranges.

    That said - and I think I said this earlier in the thread - the track record of this FO is even or better drafting players with off the field issues. To clarify: they've had players with issues who haven't popped, but the lack of pop has been for other football reasons, so lamenting the troubled-child draft approach as a way to get a bit better athlete/player is unwarranted.


    Does not matter a rats ass about motivation, both were 1st round choices and a investment, both signed contracts, both would have been a big loss, Malik was since it required us to trade for Sheldon when other wise we may not have. Okung would have been also if he was injured. Looks , like Applesauce all the way thru to me.

    No.

    In Malik's case an argument can be made that the FO strategy of drafting iffy characters came back to bite them.

    In Okung's case that argument can not be made because there were no character concerns.

    So as it relates to evaluating the FO draft strategy the two examples could not be more different.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8249
    Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:08 pm


Re: Malik McDowell
Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:38 pm
  • hawk45 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    hawk45 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:We don't know the details of his contract as far as liability if he wan tingly puts himself at risk, remember when Okung did the running with the Bulls there was a bit of talk as well.


    People def weren't thrilled about running with the bulls, but in that instance it wasn't a case of the FO spending high capital on a guy with questionable motivation, so it's a bit of apples and oranges.

    That said - and I think I said this earlier in the thread - the track record of this FO is even or better drafting players with off the field issues. To clarify: they've had players with issues who haven't popped, but the lack of pop has been for other football reasons, so lamenting the troubled-child draft approach as a way to get a bit better athlete/player is unwarranted.


    Does not matter a rats ass about motivation, both were 1st round choices and a investment, both signed contracts, both would have been a big loss, Malik was since it required us to trade for Sheldon when other wise we may not have. Okung would have been also if he was injured. Looks , like Applesauce all the way thru to me.

    No.

    In Malik's case an argument can be made that the FO strategy of drafting iffy characters came back to bite them.

    In Okung's case that argument can not be made because there were no character concerns.

    So as it relates to evaluating the FO draft strategy the two examples could not be more different.


    Your talking a situation of if they choose to, they chose to, both players were on the team already, no difference then if it was Okung or Jon Ryan and his participation in that Athlete challenge that was on TV he also could have physically been injured, are you saying Ryan has character issues also?

    Seahawks punter Jon Ryan tackled the 'American Ninja Warrior' course.

    Image

    Image
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 23971
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Malik McDowell
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:33 pm
  • 12HawkFan wrote:After his latest brush with the law/media and his problems from whatever happened during his super secret accident I think the smartest thing may be just to get every penny of contract money back if they can and get some kind of relief for a draft pick that turned into a big fat ZERO that didn't ever even attend one practice much less take any snaps in a real NFL game.

    Does anyone know for sure what the Hawks COULD ask for from the NFL?

    GO HAWKS!!!


    lmao, tell me this isnt a serious question
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1848
    Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:00 pm


Re: Malik McDowell
Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:24 am
  • It's times like these I wish there was a way to get a draft pick back if he didn't even take the field and never plays due to a non-football injury. Seems fair, riiiight?
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2497
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


PreviousNext


It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:25 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online