Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Run VS Pass Attempts

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Run VS Pass Attempts
Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:46 am
  • With the shake up we've witnessed at the coaching level, how do you see the run/pass attempts changing from previous years?

Obviously it's evident that Pete wants to run the ball more, but to what extent?

Here's a breakdown of the run vs pass attempts since 2011 -

Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 16.44.11.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 16.44.11.png (27.29 KiB) Viewed 961 times

For me, I'd say 2015 was the sweet spot, rushing attempts drop nearly 20% going into 2016 which is crazy high.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Re: Run VS Pass Attempts
Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:56 am
  • You don't need to be a philosopher to infer that if you CAN'T run, you will probably stop trying as much.

Pete wants a balanced offense, and you can point at the early years and see that we attempted almost as many runs as passes within a few percentage points. Pete doesn't want to run 60% of the time necessarily, but he'd like to be more of a 50/50 ratio, which is hard to do if you're averaging less than 4 ypc.

The other thing you want is to be able to run when you need to. That stat isn't presented here, but it has sucked, to be sure. In fact, IIRC it wasn't always that great with Marshawn in the back field. 3rd/4th and 1 to go is largely a line issue, and not necessarily an RB issue.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:03 am
  • Absolutely.

A bad line can be hidden through a quick release passing game but not so with the running game.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:05 am
  • sutz wrote:You don't need to be a philosopher to infer that if you CAN'T run, you will probably stop trying as much.

Pete wants a balanced offense, and you can point at the early years and see that we attempted almost as many runs as passes within a few percentage points. Pete doesn't want to run 60% of the time necessarily, but he'd like to be more of a 50/50 ratio, which is hard to do if you're averaging less than 4 ypc.

The other thing you want is to be able to run when you need to. That stat isn't presented here, but it has sucked, to be sure. In fact, IIRC it wasn't always that great with Marshawn in the back field. 3rd/4th and 1 to go is largely a line issue, and not necessarily an RB issue.

100% Correct. We have been poor on known short yardage running situations with ALL of Cables lines here. That needs to change. I used the need a yard can you gain a yard analogy may times, and to me that is a strong run game when you can pull that off. We had the dual threat of Wilson and Lynch along with an average line in our prime years that made that line and our running offense look better than it otherwise would have looked.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:11 am
  • original poster wrote:With the shake up we've witnessed at the coaching level, how do you see the run/pass attempts changing from previous years?

Obviously it's evident that Pete wants to run the ball more, but to what extent?

For me, I'd say 2015 was the sweet spot, rushing attempts drop nearly 20% going into 2016 which is crazy high.

It would be almost impossible to run less.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:58 am
  • Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    original poster wrote:With the shake up we've witnessed at the coaching level, how do you see the run/pass attempts changing from previous years?

It would be almost impossible to run less.

Or worse.
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:41 am
  • LOL, all anyone has to do is take a look at how much better Collins did after moving on from Fable.
    I don't know that the OPs graph includes Wilson having to pull the ball down, & take off Running, thus adding to the Run stats.
    Lynch was aided by Wilsons' remarkable Quarterback/Halfback abilities, & Wilson was the aided by Lynch's extraordinary ability to BEAST his way through Defensive lines....The RO was alive & well.
    Cable & Bevell are both gonners now, so hopefully we'll start to see a lot better balance in our Offensive attack.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:23 am
  • scutterhawk wrote:LOL, all anyone has to do is take a look at how much better Collins did after moving on from Fable.
    I don't know that the OPs graph includes Wilson having to pull the ball down, & take off Running, thus adding to the Run stats.
    Lynch was aided by Wilsons' remarkable Quarterback/Halfback abilities, & Wilson was the aided by Lynch's extraordinary ability to BEAST his way through Defensive lines....The RO was alive & well.
    Cable & Bevell are both gonners now, so hopefully we'll start to see a lot better balance in our Offensive attack.

It doesn’t :2thumbs:

Strictly running back rushes IIRC.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:03 pm
  • Running the ball 60, 65, or 70% is fine.

If you have a competent line
    fire_marshall_bill
    NET Rookie

Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:27 am
  • fire_marshall_bill wrote:Running the ball 60, 65, or 70% is fine.

If you have a competent line

And you play in the 1950's.

There is no WAY any team is going to run it 70% of the time in this era.
    Mojambo
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:45 pm
  • It's amazing how much Jacksonville has replicated the Pete Carroll/Seahawks' strategy. One-gap attacking front four with a cover 3, bump and run man coverage, and a single deep safety to shut down the deep routes.

And Jacksonville had a perfect 50-50 split in runs and passes. I bet they would have beaten the Patriots with a QB like Russell Wilson. The system works. You just need the right people to execute it.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:15 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information