Run VS Pass Attempts

original poster

Reaction score
With the shake up we've witnessed at the coaching level, how do you see the run/pass attempts changing from previous years?

Obviously it's evident that Pete wants to run the ball more, but to what extent?

Here's a breakdown of the run vs pass attempts since 2011 -

Screen Shot 2018 01 17 at 164411

For me, I'd say 2015 was the sweet spot, rushing attempts drop nearly 20% going into 2016 which is crazy high.

sutz

Reaction score
You don't need to be a philosopher to infer that if you CAN'T run, you will probably stop trying as much.

Pete wants a balanced offense, and you can point at the early years and see that we attempted almost as many runs as passes within a few percentage points. Pete doesn't want to run 60% of the time necessarily, but he'd like to be more of a 50/50 ratio, which is hard to do if you're averaging less than 4 ypc.

The other thing you want is to be able to run when you need to. That stat isn't presented here, but it has sucked, to be sure. In fact, IIRC it wasn't always that great with Marshawn in the back field. 3rd/4th and 1 to go is largely a line issue, and not necessarily an RB issue.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
Absolutely.

A bad line can be hidden through a quick release passing game but not so with the running game.

Seymour

Reaction score
sutz":36i4ra86 said:
You don't need to be a philosopher to infer that if you CAN'T run, you will probably stop trying as much.

Pete wants a balanced offense, and you can point at the early years and see that we attempted almost as many runs as passes within a few percentage points. Pete doesn't want to run 60% of the time necessarily, but he'd like to be more of a 50/50 ratio, which is hard to do if you're averaging less than 4 ypc.

The other thing you want is to be able to run when you need to. That stat isn't presented here, but it has sucked, to be sure. In fact, IIRC it wasn't always that great with Marshawn in the back field. 3rd/4th and 1 to go is largely a line issue, and not necessarily an RB issue.

100% Correct. We have been poor on known short yardage running situations with ALL of Cables lines here. That needs to change. I used the need a yard can you gain a yard analogy may times, and to me that is a strong run game when you can pull that off. We had the dual threat of Wilson and Lynch along with an average line in our prime years that made that line and our running offense look better than it otherwise would have looked.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
original poster":3q76lmt5 said:
With the shake up we've witnessed at the coaching level, how do you see the run/pass attempts changing from previous years?

Obviously it's evident that Pete wants to run the ball more, but to what extent?

For me, I'd say 2015 was the sweet spot, rushing attempts drop nearly 20% going into 2016 which is crazy high.

It would be almost impossible to run less.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":37oxexp9 said:
original poster":37oxexp9 said:

It would be almost impossible to run less.

Or worse.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
LOL, all anyone has to do is take a look at how much better Collins did after moving on from Fable.
I don't know that the OPs graph includes Wilson having to pull the ball down, & take off Running, thus adding to the Run stats.
Lynch was aided by Wilsons' remarkable Quarterback/Halfback abilities, & Wilson was the aided by Lynch's extraordinary ability to BEAST his way through Defensive lines....The RO was alive & well.
Cable & Bevell are both gonners now, so hopefully we'll start to see a lot better balance in our Offensive attack.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
scutterhawk":361hm7oz said:
LOL, all anyone has to do is take a look at how much better Collins did after moving on from Fable.
I don't know that the OPs graph includes Wilson having to pull the ball down, & take off Running, thus adding to the Run stats.
Lynch was aided by Wilsons' remarkable Quarterback/Halfback abilities, & Wilson was the aided by Lynch's extraordinary ability to BEAST his way through Defensive lines....The RO was alive & well.
Cable & Bevell are both gonners now, so hopefully we'll start to see a lot better balance in our Offensive attack.

It doesn’t :2thumbs:

Strictly running back rushes IIRC.

Mojambo

Reaction score
fire_marshall_bill":25uyvrs0 said:
Running the ball 60, 65, or 70% is fine.

If you have a competent line

And you play in the 1950's.

There is no WAY any team is going to run it 70% of the time in this era.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
It's amazing how much Jacksonville has replicated the Pete Carroll/Seahawks' strategy. One-gap attacking front four with a cover 3, bump and run man coverage, and a single deep safety to shut down the deep routes.

And Jacksonville had a perfect 50-50 split in runs and passes. I bet they would have beaten the Patriots with a QB like Russell Wilson. The system works. You just need the right people to execute it.