The GM Armchair - how to regain draft capital and cap space

original poster

Reaction score
Here's a possibility to what could happen.

I want the defense to get cheaper, I also want solid investment in the offensive line as well as some day 2 picks.

Here's how we could do it -

First lets look at trades for draft capital -

Earl to Dallas for pick 19 and a 4th rounder

Sherman to someone for a mid second rounder

Michael Bennett to the Patriots for New Englands 3rd rounder (I know NE loves Bennett and feel it would be a good spot for him)

Seattle's draft board now looks wildly different -

round 1 pick 18
round 1 pick 19
Round 2
Round 3
Round 4
Round 4
Round 5
Round 5
Round 5
Round 7
Round 7
Round 7
Round 7

Seattle trades pick 18 to Cleveland for pick 33, 63 and a 4th rounder. Their draft board now looks as follows -

round 1 pick 19
Round 2
Round 2
Round 2
Round 3
Round 4
Round 4
Round 4
Round 5
Round 5
Round 5
Round 7
Round 7
Round 7
Round 7

That gives them serious ammo to move up in other rounds to guarantee players they like. With that sort of capital, you could address serious needs on both sides of the ball. I'd fully expect them to a few of those picks into further 3rd rounders. The roster would look almost unrecognisable whilst still building around the 'new' core of players.

Now lets look at the cap situation.

Per OTC Seattle has a little under $13.75M in cap space (no idea why this has gone down from $19.5M recently?!)

Cut Lane

Cut Avril once he passes his physical

and account for the Earl, Sherm and Bennett trades and the cap now sits at $47.5M

All of a sudden players like Allen Robinson and Andrew Norwell become a real possibility. As well as keeping some upcoming 2018 FA's.

You'd resign McDougald to play FS (the draft is pretty weak at this position)

You'd resign Maxwell and Shead to cover Sherms spot as well as use a mid rounder on a CB for competition

You'd go edge early to replace Avril/Bennett and maybe FA for depth.

These moves seem pretty ridiculous on the surface, but with the coaching moves that have occurred I think big changes to the roster are coming and this just shows what sort of stuff is possible.

I'd struggle to listen to a valid argument where gaining this much draft capital and cap space VS keeping the players listed in trades/cuts is not a good move.

To add to that, the above scenario would give Seattle nearly $100M in cap space in 2019 with the only current starting players needing extensions would be Duane Brown, KJ Wright, Frank Clark and Tyler Lockett.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1vsibmya said:
I like those moves and they are not outrageous.

Yeah can be seen as a bit ‘Madden GM’ but I’d say it’s more agressive than unrealistic.

Seymour

Reaction score
original poster":udvt1sj6 said:

I want the defense to get cheaper, I also want solid investment in the offensive line as well as some day 2 picks.

Michael Bennett to the Patriots for New Englands 3rd rounder (I know NE loves Bennett and feel it would be a good spot for him)

round 1 pick 18
round 1 pick 19
Round 2
Round 3
Round 4
Round 4
Round 5
Round 5
Round 5
Round 7
Round 7
Round 7
Round 7

Seattle trades pick 18 to Cleveland for pick 33, 63 and a 4th rounder. Their draft board now looks as follows -

round 1 pick 19
Round 2
Round 2
Round 2
Round 3
Round 4
Round 4
Round 4
Round 5
Round 5
Round 5
Round 7
Round 7
Round 7
Round 7

That gives them serious ammo to move up in other rounds to guarantee players they like. With that sort of capital, you could address serious needs on both sides of the ball. I'd fully expect them to a few of those picks into further 3rd rounders. The roster would look almost unrecognisable whilst still building around the 'new' core of players.

Per OTC Seattle has a little under $13.75M in cap space (no idea why this has gone down from $19.5M recently?!)

Cut Lane

and account for the Earl, Sherm and Bennett trades and the cap now sits at $47.5M

All of a sudden players like Allen Robinson and Andrew Norwell become a real possibility. As well as keeping some upcoming 2018 FA's.

You'd resign Maxwell and Shead to cover Sherms spot as well as use a mid rounder on a CB for competition

These moves seem pretty ridiculous on the surface, but with the coaching moves that have occurred I think big changes to the roster are coming and this just shows what sort of stuff is possible.

I'd struggle to listen to a valid argument where gaining this much draft capital and cap space VS keeping the players listed in trades/cuts is not a good move.

To add to that, the above scenario would give Seattle nearly $100M in cap space in 2019 with the only current starting players needing extensions would be Duane Brown, KJ Wright, Frank Clark and Tyler Lockett.

Damn...nice job! Not out of the question either. I think we may keep Earl though. I just can't see us letting Earl go fill Jerrah's glory hole myself.

Mojambo

Reaction score
I don't think New England would give up a 3rd for Bennett. I think the sense is that Seattle is more likely to cut Bennett for salary relief and I think NE would just wait for him to hit the street.

I'm also not sure about the valuation of Sherman at 2nd round pick, given his age, contract status and current injury.

kf3339

Reaction score
original poster":3acpququ said:

round 1 pick 18
round 1 pick 19
Round 2
Round 3
Round 4
Round 4
Round 5
Round 5
Round 5
Round 7
Round 7
Round 7
Round 7

round 1 pick 19
Round 2
Round 2
Round 2
Round 3
Round 4
Round 4
Round 4
Round 5
Round 5
Round 5
Round 7
Round 7
Round 7
Round 7

Cut Lane

I also like this plan. It brings us back to younger with a potential benefit of players being hungry again. In addition, we now have some strong vets (Wagner, KJ, Clark, Jordan that you can build around on defense, and plenty of draft capital to fill holes on both sides of the ball.

The one thing I would do is resign Sheldon Richardson even if he is a little pricey. We have not had a true 3tech DT since PC has been our HC, and I think he would be perfect in our rebuilt defense.

I also would look to go RB in the first round with perhaps Guice as our premier RB. PC wants to get back to running the ball and he would be just what we need to accomplish that goal.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
Mojambo":1zem08xg said:
I don't think New England would give up a 3rd for Bennett. I think the sense is that Seattle is more likely to cut Bennett for salary relief and I think NE would just wait for him to hit the street.

I'm also not sure about the valuation of Sherman at 2nd round pick, given his age, contract status and current injury.

Very much doubt Bennett gets cut. There’s minimal cap relief in 2018 (although a good chunk in 2019, $9M or so IIRC).

If no team bites on a trade I’d be amazed to see him be cut given his production vs cap relief.

chris98251

Reaction score
Ideas being one thing, the partner being there to trade with and seeing the same value is another, John has done one thing since being here, traded for less then this boards value is at on players.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
chris98251":1pdb1wz5 said:
Ideas being one thing, the partner being there to trade with and seeing the same value is another, John has done one thing since being here, traded for less then this boards value is at on players.

Can’t think of any specific examples off the top of my head but i think it’s a case of ‘you win some you lose some’.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
Note - I’ve split this into a new topic so as not to take emphasis away from the thread it was originally posted in.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
If you are trading Sherm and Earl (not very smart IMHO) then you might as well trade Russ, Bobby, and KJ and do a total rebuild of which would also be stupid IMHO. I know some folks like these but these rosterbation threads iritate me at times.

....and yes, that’s MY fault for clicking on them, I know better. 8)

massari

Reaction score
original poster":3kf8vskx said:

round 1 pick 18
round 1 pick 19
Round 2
Round 3
Round 4
Round 4
Round 5
Round 5
Round 5
Round 7
Round 7
Round 7
Round 7

round 1 pick 19
Round 2
Round 2
Round 2
Round 3
Round 4
Round 4
Round 4
Round 5
Round 5
Round 5
Round 7
Round 7
Round 7
Round 7

Cut Lane

3rgXBOmTlzyFCURutG.gif

Rat

Reaction score
Those are all reasonable, but are we half-rebuilding or something? Either keep it together or blow the damn thing up. Purgatory is the worst place to be in sports; I'm already dealing with that as a Detroit Pistons fan, I don't want my football team to do that too.

2_0_6

Reaction score
original poster":3mn1e5rk said:

round 1 pick 18
round 1 pick 19
Round 2
Round 3
Round 4
Round 4
Round 5
Round 5
Round 5
Round 7
Round 7
Round 7
Round 7

round 1 pick 19
Round 2
Round 2
Round 2
Round 3
Round 4
Round 4
Round 4
Round 5
Round 5
Round 5
Round 7
Round 7
Round 7
Round 7

Cut Lane

I like these ideas, but I would like to add Cameron Brate as a TE option.

Own The West

Reaction score
Whether or not those trades are realistic, let's say you get the 15 picks by trading away the players you suggest and trading down, etc.

Your suggestion puts our starting defense at:

LDE - Branden Jackson
LDT - Jarran Reed
RDT - Nazair Jones
RDE - Frank Clark
OLB - Michael Wilhoite
MLB - Bobby Wagner
OLB - KJ Wright
LCB - Byron Maxwell
RCB - Shaquill Griffin
SS - Delano Hill
FS - Bradley McDougald

Which is a worse lineup than we fielded the last 8 games of the season (when Sherman got hurt) that allowed 22.8 points/game which puts them in the bottom half of the league.

Now, assuming we draft genius and come up with 5 blue chippers. Is that going to be enough to put this defense in the top 10 again?

And that's ignoring we'll still need to fix our OL and RB situation.

I think we let Kam and Avril go, by choice or not. Resign KJ and Brown. Resign Graham OR S. Richardson; Resign P. Richardson OR Lockett. Keep Earl, Sherm and Bennett, but look for their replacements in the draft (again).

We need Guard foremost, but I can see us trading down our first a couple times before grabbing one in the second.

If the Richardsons leave, we'll get a 3rd and a 5th comp pick next year; but this year is going to be lean. We went all in and lost. We might have a 10-6 year next year while everyone adjusts, but then I think we'll be back.

chris98251

Reaction score
original poster":1f3llj63 said:
chris98251":1f3llj63 said:

Can’t think of any specific examples off the top of my head but i think it’s a case of ‘you win some you lose some’.

First trade we made Josh Wilson people here were saying 1st, or second rounder, we got a 5th I think for him a few trades to Detroit happened as well, yes we were remolding the team in those days but John has rarely got really good value in a return for a player. Mostly because I think he sends the message out this player is available instead of making a statement like were going to make some changes and letting teams come to him inquiring about who he is talking about and him saying everyone for a price.

massari

Reaction score
Own The West":394mazyu said:
Your suggestion puts our starting defense at:

LDE - Branden Jackson
LDT - Jarran Reed
RDT - Nazair Jones
RDE - Frank Clark
OLB - Michael Wilhoite
MLB - Bobby Wagner
OLB - KJ Wright
LCB - Byron Maxwell
RCB - Shaquill Griffin
SS - Delano Hill
FS - Bradley McDougald

Which is a worse lineup than we fielded the last 8 games of the season (when Sherman got hurt) that allowed 22.8 points/game which puts them in the bottom half of the league.

Now, assuming we draft genius and come up with 5 blue chippers. Is that going to be enough to put this defense in the top 10 again?

And that's ignoring we'll still need to fix our OL and RB situation.
You missed the part where trading ET, Sherman and Bennett, Lane, Avril will open up cap room to bring in top free agents while acquiring more draft capital. So Jackson, Wilhoite, Hill ect won't be relied upon as starters. You're also forgetting Dion Jordan and Malik McDowell.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I think you are putting a lot more faith in the GM than warrants.

My problem with trades is the guy doing the trading.

It won't matter how much cap space we have if it is squandered.

We used to make fantastic drafts to offset some average to worse results on the FA side.

Now we have average drafts and even worse FA moves.

So getting cap space or draft capital won't help if they spend it on guys that don't really make the team better.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1hxb22bl said:
If you are trading Sherm and Earl (not very smart IMHO) then you might as well trade Russ, Bobby, and KJ and do a total rebuild of which would also be stupid IMHO. I know some folks like these but these rosterbation threads iritate me at times.

....and yes, that’s MY fault for clicking on them, I know better. 8)
And I am one of those..If your going to blow up the D ..Might as well cut the head off the moneysnake
on offense.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
massari":23xujzli said:
You're also forgetting Dion Jordan and Malik McDowell.

Probably because they might or might not prove to be anything.