Ethan Poccic named PFWA all rookie team

sdog1981

Reaction score
Looks like our little big man got the attention of the same pro football writers who do the voting for MVP and All-Pro teams.

I thought he was very inconsistent this season but I guess you could say that about every player Cable coached. I hope this is a sign of more good things to come his way.

http://www.profootballwriters.org/2018/ ... eam-named/

King Dog

Reaction score
Kind of funny. He's the one offensive line pick we've made that the pundits have liked in years lol

Seymour

Reaction score
He made the all rookie team, that is great. I thought he was just OK but opinions of him varied widely.

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
Seymour":1ms7qdxx said:
He made the all rookie team, that is great. I thought he was just OK but opinions of him varied widely.

It would vary from play to play. He would hold his own most of the time but there were just so many plays in which he was pushed around.

original poster

Reaction score
PFF had him graded awfully for what it's worth, worst graded 2nd rounder IIRC.

He's going to get bigger in year 2 and this was his rookie year, He gets plenty of slack if you ask me.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Pocic only needs to get stronger and anchor better to become a quality player,

massari

Reaction score
Does this prove how bad the 2017 OL draft class was?

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
He also needs a coach that doesn’t over complicate blocking.

jammerhawk":3nzgvr83 said:
Pocic only needs to get stronger and anchor better to become a quality player,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
This was probably due to lack of candidates to be named on this team more than his play. Though I am excited about Pocic can become with an offseason strength routine.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Do we still have the .gif of the line going right and Pocic going left? That was a good one. I think that was a Baldinger special.

God I hope this kid gets coached up by Solari.

Side note - Makes me wonder if Ifedi can be salvaged at this point or if he's permanently damaged material. (back on topic)

Yay for Pocic.

mistaowen

Reaction score
There's a lot to like about him and his biggest downfall was the lack of an NFL strength program. He's even admitted to this and plans to bulk up this year. Basically the reverse Cable pick, I'm excited to see him get better next year.

THE TABS

Reaction score
mistaowen":1sm3u7wl said:
There's a lot to like about him and his biggest downfall was the lack of an NFL strength program. He's even admitted to this and plans to bulk up this year. Basically the reverse Cable pick, I'm excited to see him get better next year.

That, plus he’s playing out of position at guard. He’s a natural center, where his lack of strength wouldn’t be as big of an issue.

I like him though. Anxious to see what he can do next year.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/guga31bb/status/949319762143739904[/tweet]

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
I was excited about him coming out of LSU, and disappointed to see he didn't make more of a splash on the field. But I was also surprised we didn't plug him in at center, which seems like his natural position. And of course with everything coming out about Cable actually making players worse, I expect him to make a big leap next year.

I'm excited for him. He could cement a position for us on a heretofore fluid O-line.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":3pxtp1pg said:
I was excited about him coming out of LSU, and disappointed to see he didn't make more of a splash on the field. But I was also surprised we didn't plug him in at center, which seems like his natural position. And of course with everything coming out about Cable actually making players worse, I expect him to make a big leap next year.

I'm excited for him. He could cement a position for us on a heretofore fluid O-line.

What kind splash is normal for a guard?

By nature of the position, if you don't ever hear their number called, it means they're doing good.

IMO Pocic had a great rookie year, and like most rookies the big jump should be in year two when they've had a full off season in the teams development and workout program. So Pocic SHOULD come into camp ready to rock and be every bit as good as we expect.

kobebryant

Reaction score
A career path similar to Max Unger shouldn't be out of the question. Unger was poor as a rookie, largely due to a lack of sand in his pants, got some heft and strength to match his technique and athleticism and became a really good player.

With Pocic, there's nothing not to like from a talent and technique perspective, an NFL offseason will do him wonders.

toffee

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":8bryjdkn said:
IMO Pocic had a great rookie year, and like most rookies the big jump should be in year two when they've had a full off season in the teams development and workout program. So Pocic SHOULD come into camp ready to rock and be every bit as good as we expect.

Guys were using the same 2nd year jump statement on Ifedi this time last year, 2nd year jump plus RT being Ifedi's "nature" position.