Upcoming Free Agency

QuahHawk

Reaction score
The Hawks have two players in the top 10 on ESPN's top FA List.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_ ... gents-2018

Some players I'd be interested in signing.

3. Le'Veon Bell, RB
5. DeMarcus Lawrence, DE
7. Andrew Norwell, G
8. Ezekiel Ansah, DE
13. Trumaine Johnson, CB
14. Star Lotulelei, DT
15. Allen Robinson, WR
18. Dontari Poe, DT
20. Bashaud Breeland, CB
28. Marqise Lee, WR
30. Terrelle Pryor Sr., WR
32. Justin Pugh, G
35. Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE
39. Kenny Vaccaro, S
40. Adrian Clayborn, DE
47. Jordan Matthews, WR
49. Jack Mewhort, G

?? Carlos Hyde RB
?? Donte Moncreif,WR

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
If given the choice I think i'd rather have Le'Veon Bell and Star Lotulelei than Jimmy Graham and Sheldon Richardson.

For ~ 18-25 APY that it would cost to bring back Sheldon and Jimmy I might look to some other FA options
Jimmy ~$10M APY
Richardson ~$12M APY

We could probably get 3 or 4 of these guys instead
Bell ~$12M APY
Hyde ~$6M APY
Dontari Poe ~$9M APY
Lotulelei ~$6M APY
Pugh ~$10M APY
Mewhort ~$8M APY
Lee ~$6M APY
Moncreif ~$4M APY
Pryor ~$3M APY
Mathews ~$4M APY
ASJ ~$4M APY
Vacarro ~$6M APY
Clayborn ~8M APY

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Walter Football has Jimmy as their #43
http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2018all.php

I'd be surprised if he didn't get a lot of interest. I have a hard time not thinking a team will give him $10M+ Somebody will bite. If he'd take less than $5-6M I could see him back. Schotty might be very tempted. Although we could probably bring in a 3 WR's/TE's for the price of graham.

kf3339

Reaction score
The one thing I will say about our FA class is this IMO. We have been searching for a true interior penetrating 3tech to collapse offensive line pockets for years. No one, and I mean no one has come close to fulfilling this role until Sheldon Richardson was brought in by trade.

He did his job well, and would be an absolute shame for us to let him go this FA period. If we have to Franchise him to give us time to get a longer term deal, do it. If we don't were back to square one with one less high draft pick sacrificed. What good does that accomplish over a few extra million dollars per year.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I’d hate to lose Sheldon too, but they are in a tight cap situation and they pick up a 3rd round COMP pick most likely if he leaves. I’d prefer to keep him myself.

kf3339

Reaction score
They can relieve their cap situation with some expensive cuts of older players and rework contracts. If they want that true 3tech they will find a way. The odds of a 3rd round comp pick replacing him is between slim and none.

I just think they need to remember why they traded for him in the first place and look to the future of this defense. He could be a very dominant fixture for 3-4 years at the minimum. Why would PC and his new coaching team want to go backwards again?

Doesn't make any sense to me at all, but we will see.

PS: Did you all see what Fletcher Cox did to the Viking O-Line today? That could be Sheldon Richardson for us!

original poster

Reaction score
kf3339":3jwgdocf said:
They can relieve their cap situation with some expensive cuts of older players and rework contracts. If they want that true 3tech they will find a way. The odds of a 3rd round comp pick replacing him is between slim and none.

I just think they need to remember why they traded for him in the first place and look to the future of this defense. He could be a very dominant fixture for 3-4 years at the minimum. Why would PC and his new coaching team want to go backwards again?

PS: Did you all see what Fletcher Cox did to the Viking O-Line today? That could be Sheldon Richardson for us!

Absolutely this.

No way they gave up Jermaine Kearse and a draft pick for one year.

They have every intention of keeping him.

Saying that, didn't the draft pick compensation drop a round if they don't retain him or was that merely speculation/wishful thinking?

seabowl

Reaction score
original poster":36qi1583 said:
kf3339":36qi1583 said:

Absolutely this.

No way they gave up Jermaine Kearse and a draft pick for one year.

They have every intention of keeping him.

Saying that, didn't the draft pick compensation drop a round if they don't retain him or was that merely speculation/wishful thinking?

I hear you but Fletcher Cox > Sheldon Richardson

NJlargent

Reaction score
I agree they need to keep Sheldon Richardson. That is absolutely correct we brought him in with an eye to the future of the defense. Quite frankly I think we need to focus on both of our lines and make them the priority. First, our pass rush is underwhelming and it always seems like in big games we get no pressure when needed. We need to establish a line that is constantly pushing around other quarterbacks even without sacks and move them off spots. Our OLine is awful outside LT and C. Other than those 2 all other olinemen are awful. Bringing is Bell is silly as he will get drilled in the backfield. We are not a player away from the SB. We need some rebuild on OL and need an edge rusher that is actually good.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
No way Pittsburgh is letting Bell walk. He will get franchised.

I'm a fan of re-signing Sheldon because of who he is as a player and if we let all our guys walk we are pretty much guaranteed to have to sign some other FA and will most likely nullify some of these comp picks.

original poster

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":1396xgna said:
No way Pittsburgh is letting Bell walk. He will get franchised.

I'm a fan of re-signing Sheldon because of who he is as a player and if we let all our guys walk we are pretty much guaranteed to have to sign some other FA and will most likely nullify some of these comp picks.

Not that we would even consider signing him but Bell said he will retire if he's franchised.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Looking at that list and our limited outlets for participation just has me in awe about how idiotic the Kam Chancellor extension was and is. Horrible contract.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
NJlargent":2aw5xocv said:
Bringing is Bell is silly as he will get drilled in the backfield.

So...what? Just lay down and give up the season? Not sign any good players? Sign bad ones because "OL is bad"? I'm missing your logic here.

NJlargent":2aw5xocv said:
We need some rebuild on OL and need an edge rusher that is actually good.

Like Frank Clark? And Dion Jordan with 4 sacks in 5 games? :lol:

I hate to break this to you, but you're probably not seeing Pocic and Ifedi going anywhere. Pocic is a rookie. Ifedi they can probably salvage (and Pocic for that matter) now that we have some real OL coaching.

mistaowen

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3ewrvona said:
NJlargent":3ewrvona said:

So...what? Just lay down and give up the season? Not sign any good players? Sign bad ones because "OL is bad"? I'm missing your logic here.

NJlargent":3ewrvona said:

I hate to break this to you, but you're probably not seeing Pocic and Ifedi going anywhere. Pocic is a rookie. Ifedi they can probably salvage (and Pocic for that matter) now that we have some real OL coaching.

The talent on the OL isn't much different than most NFL rosters. Being coached (poorly) by Cable these past few years is the glaring difference. Ray Roberts interview was pretty eye opening and I think a lot of my anger towards Bevell should have gone more to Cable. Cards game week 17, they had a literal patchwork line and were above average. I think a combination of new OL coach with veteran presence of Duane Brown this offseason should make the line at least average. Giants o-line was good the past two years.

kf3339

Reaction score
mistaowen":2cqys737 said:
MontanaHawk05":2cqys737 said:
NJlargent":2cqys737 said:

NJlargent":2cqys737 said:

The talent on the OL isn't much different than most NFL rosters. Being coached (poorly) by Cable these past few years is the glaring difference. Ray Roberts interview was pretty eye opening and I think a lot of my anger towards Bevell should have gone more to Cable. Cards game week 17, they had a literal patchwork line and were above average. I think a combination of new OL coach with veteran presence of Duane Brown this offseason should make the line at least average. Giants o-line was good the past two years.

Anger should be to PC for not opening his eyes sooner, and seeing the OL issues went right back to Cable. That firing should have happened at least 2 years ago along with Bevell. That's is on PC.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I don't expect Seattle to be overly active in free agency this year. They will not want to risk the potential compensatory picks they could be in line to receive for Sheldon Richardson, Jimmy Graham, and Paul Richardson. I expect them to look for a few diamonds in the rough, keep a close eye on anyone cut instead of UFA's, and wait to fill in some spots until after the May 12th deadline when players no longer count against compensatory picks.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Unfortunately, until we know for sure if Kam and/or Cliff are going to retire, it makes it tough for free agency. Will be interesting to see what the impact would be on the cap or if the Hawks are stuck paying them a bunch of coin in 2018 even if they retire. Not sure exactly how it all works. Let alone if they could re-coop any signing bonuses etc.

massari

Reaction score
DJrmb":3rz1pwxa said:
I don't expect Seattle to be overly active in free agency this year. They will not want to risk the potential compensatory picks they could be in line to receive for Sheldon Richardson, Jimmy Graham, and Paul Richardson. I expect them to look for a few diamonds in the rough, keep a close eye on anyone cut instead of UFA's, and wait to fill in some spots until after the May 12th deadline when players no longer count against compensatory picks.
With all the big name free agents, Graham and P-Rich will be lucky to bring in 4th rounders. Not worth holding out on signing guys who'd be major contributors.

Hopefully Sheldon Richardson will be re-signed for a decent price and trade Bennett for a 3rd or so.

DJrmb

Reaction score
massari":1p8c0h6n said:
DJrmb":1p8c0h6n said:
With all the big name free agents, Graham and P-Rich will be lucky to bring in 4th rounders. Not worth holding out on signing guys who'd be major contributors.

Hopefully Sheldon Richardson will be re-signed for a decent price and trade Bennett for a 3rd or so.
P-Rich I could see that. I see him probably getting 7M APY from someone. Graham I think will get 9-10M and that should be a 3 or 4. Of course if their markets don't develop then Seattle can be more aggressive in FA. However, the reason they signed so many 1 year deals this past season and were ok trading away so many picks is because they were banking on getting a lot of compensatory picks back I think. It'll be interesting to see how things play out.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I wonder if Schotty, Solari, and Norton will have pull in the personnel department?

Anybody from the Colts or Giant Offense we might bring on-board? How about from the Raiders D?

Latest posts