Was Richard’s downfall blitzing too much? A look @ numbers

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
What choice did Richard's have?

We saw it yesterday in the Patriots Jags game, if your front four can't get home, then you have no choice but to blitz. Jacksonville fans are all over the coaches for not sending more pressure at Brady in the 2nd half when their front four got dinged up and ineffective.

Same thing here, at the beginning of the year our front four was getting good pressure, then as the season wore on, so did they. So Richard had to dial up more blitzes.

So Pete can have a problem with that, but he can't have it both ways. If he wants to stay in traditional base defenses and rush four? Then he better damn well get a solid deep D-line rotation on the roster so those guys stay fresh all year, and not wear down and become ineffective.

Seymour

Reaction score
Richard's didn't have a downfall. He was taken out by his age, injuries and the other Richard. :roll:

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2jtezmlt said:

We saw it yesterday in the Patriots Jags game, if your front four can't get home, then you have no choice but to blitz. Jacksonville fans are all over the coaches for not sending more pressure at Brady in the 2nd half when their front four got dinged up and ineffective.

Same thing here, at the beginning of the year our front four was getting good pressure, then as the season wore on, so did they. So Richard had to dial up more blitzes.

So Pete can have a problem with that, but he can't have it both ways. If he wants to stay in traditional base defenses and rush four? Then he better damn well get a solid deep D-line rotation on the roster so those guys stay fresh all year, and not wear down and become ineffective.

Good points. On the Patriots Jags game the Jags Miles Jack did fire off a few impressive blitzes and one got home in the second half but he went out injured and that was it. Shady had all day with out Jack in the game.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3kqbcpp2 said:

Agree with this. At times I felt we should have blitzed more. No pressure on opposing QB’s = getting beat.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Third down defense. One of the worst since he took over... blame whomever... but it was an issue.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":30fgm6io said:
Third down defense. One of the worst since he took over... blame whomever... but it was an issue.

Completely agree!

One of the worst in the league.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3biaea49 said:
jammerhawk":3biaea49 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3biaea49 said:

Completely agree!

One of the worst in the league.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/o ... ersion-pct

Ranked...

15th in 2017
12th in 2016
7th in 2015

With injuries to major defensive players easily able to account for a lot of this.

Yep, for as maddening as our D has been allowing key 3rd down conversions, it's always been a bend but don't break giving up points type of defense.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Yes, but weren't we the worst in the league at allowing conversions on 3rd and 10+? That's pretty damning no matter who your personnel are.

I think this year especially, while some blitzes got home and were great to watch, we had problems getting clogged up and sometimes QBs would run for the first or the blitz would be rendered null and the opposing QB could just pick apart our coverage. I also think we struggled at times to hold up in man, which contributed to the high passer rating allowed.

chris98251

Reaction score
We blitzed very close to the same amount we have the last 4 years approx. 22 percent or so, was not amount but could have been more type and when called.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Yeah I think the corner blitzes worked really well, but we didn't see those featured til the end of the season.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Blitzes became ineffective, and some bad defensive game planning. I dont think Norton is much of an upgrade either in terms of game planning. I love Norton but I think he's better suited for LB coach again or an assistant DC. I'm not sure he has what it takes to dial up a good game plan every sunday. He was bad with Oakland....though Oakland doesnt have as good as players as we do so it's tough to say how much blame should be put on Norton. Richard had a terrible game plan against the Titans....Titans were a fluke this year and they ran all over us. Should have jammed the box and forced Mariota to beat us. I miss Dan Quinn....he had a great game plan against Den in the superbowl....good game plan against Brady as well (in both superbowls) but Brady was Brady and got him both times. The plans were fine but both times in the 2nd half there was no pressure on Brady.