Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Michael Bennett makes it six Seahawks on the NFC’s Pro Bowl

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Excellent. I look forward to another 3 consecutive plays where he jumps offsides like last year. :roll:

At least Garrett had the balls to pull him after that. :2thumbs:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Seahawks have a mediocre year with a 9-7 record yet have 6 players going to the Pro Bowl? Just incredible.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

• Good thing jumping offsides is part of the skills challenge this year.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• More whining about a Seahawks player who, despite multiple injuries, played hard in every game and still had 8.5 sacks.

Congrats, MB!!!

:irishdrinkers:
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Hmmm......
    Pro Bowl vs Superbowl
    Which would you prefer?
    I am pretty sure that all 6 would prefer the SB.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

• WmHBonney wrote:Hmmm......
    Pro Bowl vs Superbowl
    Which would you prefer?

Being recognized as a premier player in the world at your position is not to be taken lightly either.
    Would you prefer the filet mignon or the Big Mac btw :179419:
    The Breh
    NET Rookie

Pro Bowl vs Superbowl
    Which would you prefer?

What is your point with your post? Should he turn it down (and the extra money) just cause they didnt make the playoffs let alone the SB? How much of not reaching the playoffs, or SB falls on Bennetts shoulders?. Before answering, how much falls squarely on PC and John S?
    irocdave
    NET Veteran

• Congrats to MB!
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• Congrats MB!
    Last edited by original poster on Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: Attack the post, not the poster.
    SixSeahawk
    NET Starter

• Congrats Bennett.!
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

• Why is there this MB hate lately?

It’s not a good thing for one of our players to be invited to the Pro Bowl?

Definitely, congrats MB!
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Coug_Hawk08 wrote:Good thing jumping offsides is part of the skills challenge this year.

It was probably more the 8.5 sacks.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• It's surprising how many people hate Bennett. Pretty weak really.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:It's surprising how many people hate Bennett. Pretty weak really.

This is just how people support their team these days.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Coug_Hawk08 wrote:Good thing jumping offsides is part of the skills challenge this year.

It was probably more the 8.5 sacks.

I checked. Jumping offsides is not part of the Skills Challenge
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Pro Bowl vs Superbowl
    Which would you prefer?

Pretty sure every player in the league would prefer to go to the Super Bowl over the Pro Bowl.

What's your point?
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• jammerhawk wrote:Why is there this MB hate lately?

People love to be outraged these days and it seems once they've jumped on any particular outrage bandwagon, they double down at every opportunity regardless of how ridiculous they're being. Lots of people can't admit they were wrong or even that maybe they overreacted a little bit.

As for me, I'm still quite happy MB is a Seahawk and I'd love for him to continue being a Seahawk until he retires.

Congratulations Mike! :irishdrinkers:
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Dude played on a pretty painful injury for a lot of the season and was still quite productive. I'd say a full off season to heal and he'll be even better. Congrats on the Pro Bowl.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Congrats to Michael Bennett!!! :2thumbs:
    BleuEyedHawk
    NET Bench Warmer

• mistaowen wrote:Dude played on a pretty painful injury for a lot of the season and was still quite productive. I'd say a full off season to heal and he'll be even better. Congrats on the Pro Bowl.

I'll go with this. Bennett was still pretty damn good, made a lot of key plays at crucial times in games, all while playing through the injuries.
    2018 Adopt-A-Rookie: Rashaad Penny
    2018 BounceBack Bet: C.J. Prosise
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• hawkfan68 wrote:Seahawks have a mediocre year with a 9-7 record yet have 6 players going to the Pro Bowl? Just incredible.

This

It's totally unacceptable. This has to be a record for a non-playoff team or at least a team that won less than 10 games. Carroll is starting to resemble Romar in terms of wasted talent...okay, low blow, but if this continues....
    fire_marshall_bill
    NET Rookie

• mistaowen wrote:Dude played on a pretty painful injury for a lot of the season and was still quite productive. I'd say a full off season to heal and he'll be even better. Congrats on the Pro Bowl.

If that injury was so painful why is he playing in a meaningless game??? I have had plantar fascia and when I had it every time I walked it was liking walking on glass. I had to stretch my foot for 20 minutes every morning before I could take my 1st step and also had to wear a cast while I slept to hold my foot in a certain position. There is no way I could have ever participated in athletics unless the cortisone shot worked really well. He did not make the pro bowl, is there because other players were smart enough to rest there injuries instead of trying to add to a resume or make a few dollars. I do not like Michael Bennett for reasons that are way bigger than football!
    peppersjap
    NET Veteran

• peppersjap wrote:
    mistaowen wrote:Dude played on a pretty painful injury for a lot of the season and was still quite productive. I'd say a full off season to heal and he'll be even better. Congrats on the Pro Bowl.

If that injury was so painful why is he playing in a meaningless game??? I have had plantar fascia and when I had it every time I walked it was liking walking on glass. I had to stretch my foot for 20 minutes every morning before I could take my 1st step and also had to wear a cast while I slept to hold my foot in a certain position. There is no way I could have ever participated in athletics unless the cortisone shot worked really well. He did not make the pro bowl, is there because other players were smart enough to rest there injuries instead of trying to add to a resume or make a few dollars. I do not like Michael Bennett for reasons that are way bigger than football!

Good thing his pain tolerence is much higher than yours.
    He is football player so anything not to do with the game should not matter
    If I want to use that I probaly don't like over half the team because they don't like what I do.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• peppersjap wrote:
    mistaowen wrote:Dude played on a pretty painful injury for a lot of the season and was still quite productive. I'd say a full off season to heal and he'll be even better. Congrats on the Pro Bowl.

Because the injury is obviously being overstated by some here.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• or, the month off has helped...
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Absolutely.

$32K for each player on the losing team and $64K for each player on the winning team.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• LOL. And right on cue he jumps offside. Well at least he’s good at it.
    Rickomatic
    NET Rookie

• He had a chance to start a fight the last play of the game when the AFC was in Victory Formation and didn’t. He must be turning over a new leaf.
    yummy down on this throbbing pole of hot man chicken.
    legend38
    NET Veteran

• legend38 wrote:He had a chance to start a fight the last play of the game when the AFC was in Victory Formation and didn’t. He must be turning over a new leaf.

Ya, I was looking for that too. He did have his 3 offsides again this year though, but made progress since it wasn't 3 straight plays like last year.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Unfortunate to see Von Miller absolutely destroy Duane Brown to win the game.
    Granted, Brown was in at right tackle (was Cable on the coaching staff?) But still, sort of sad to see Brown give up that sack at the end and lose the game.
    This coming from a guy that over states pro bowl performances
    semiahmoo wrote:I'll say it again - this is Pete's last season in Seattle if the teams doesn't make a legit hard run deep into the playoffs.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

• I'm ready to see Michael Bennett offloaded if only to see his offsides penalties go with him. Even if he does get the most pressures on the team or w/e.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• The Seahawks fan base is quite ungrateful.

If karma is real, then don't expect an SB appearance for another 40 years.
    SixSeahawk
    NET Starter

• How? How on earth did Bennett make the pro-bowl *this* year?! I mean, nothing personal, he just hasn't played well. Could be because of the plantar fasciatis, I don't know. But based on what I have observed, he's been a non-factor on the field this year.
    We Fired Tom Cable!
    xgeoff
    NET Veteran

• With regard to penalties, Avril got off to a rough start in 2017 and averaged 1 penalty per game leading up to his season ending injury. It seems probable that the glory years of the Cliff Avril / Michael Bennett tag team has been spent.

Pete Carroll absolutely positively must address their league leading penalty and penalty differential problem. Penalties by developmental up field pass rusher Frank Clark over the last two years has become a little worrisome. Hopefully he'll grow out of that quickly and continue to improve verses the run with fit and execution.

I'm intrigued by a number of developmental competitors added to the mix in 2017 for a second look in 2018. Times they are a changing.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• SixSeahawk wrote:The Seahawks fan base is quite ungrateful.

If karma is real, then don't expect an SB appearance for another 40 years.

Lol really?
    semiahmoo wrote:I'll say it again - this is Pete's last season in Seattle if the teams doesn't make a legit hard run deep into the playoffs.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

• xgeoff wrote:How? How on earth did Bennett make the pro-bowl *this* year?! I mean, nothing personal, he just hasn't played well. Could be because of the plantar fasciatis, I don't know. But based on what I have observed, he's been a non-factor on the field this year.

Firmly disagree. He had a good amount of sacks, an excellent amount of pressures and made some great tackles in the back field.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• IMO it's possible Ken Norton, Jr. was brought in to bring discipline and accountability to the defense. Something Pete may have felt Kris Richard wasn't able to do. As sports fans most of you have likely heard how athletes will begin to tune out coaches after a while. Of all the coaches on the defensive side of the ball I've seen in Seahawk history, Norton would be the one I would think would not get tuned out with perhaps Quinn number 2. Sometimes it's not just about X's and O's. Richard may be a brilliant mind and likely has a good coaching career ahead of him. Likely in Pete's mind this group (players/coaches) needed to be shaken up. Imagine how effective the defense can be if they stop extending drives with stupid mental errors.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

• xgeoff wrote:How? How on earth did Bennett make the pro-bowl *this* year?! I mean, nothing personal, he just hasn't played well. Could be because of the plantar fasciatis, I don't know. But based on what I have observed, he's been a non-factor on the field this year.

Ignoring that this is a website for "fantasy stats", look at the career stats here:

https://fantasydata.com/nfl-stats/playe ... e-seahawks

I'd suggest that this was Michael Bennett's 2nd most productive season as a Seahawk, and third most of his career.

16.5 TFLs is 3rd behind only his 2012 and 2015 season.
    40 tackles 3rd behind only his 2012 and 2015 seasons.
    8.5 sacks only behind his 2012 and 2015 seasons.
    24 QB hits 3rd behind his 2012 and 2015 seasons.

And it's not like he's way behind on any of them. His career highs are 18 TFLs, 52 tackles (massive outlier, with 4 seasons with between 38-41 tackles), 10 sacks, 30 QB hits.
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• themunn wrote:
    xgeoff wrote:How? How on earth did Bennett make the pro-bowl *this* year?! I mean, nothing personal, he just hasn't played well. Could be because of the plantar fasciatis, I don't know. But based on what I have observed, he's been a non-factor on the field this year.

Ignoring that this is a website for "fantasy stats", look at the career stats here:

https://fantasydata.com/nfl-stats/playe ... e-seahawks

I'd suggest that this was Michael Bennett's 2nd most productive season as a Seahawk, and third most of his career.

16.5 TFLs is 3rd behind only his 2012 and 2015 season.
    40 tackles 3rd behind only his 2012 and 2015 seasons.
    8.5 sacks only behind his 2012 and 2015 seasons.
    24 QB hits 3rd behind his 2012 and 2015 seasons.

And it's not like he's way behind on any of them. His career highs are 18 TFLs, 52 tackles (massive outlier, with 4 seasons with between 38-41 tackles), 10 sacks, 30 QB hits.

I've been thinking about this. Trying to reconcile what I saw on the field with what some people have been pointing to in terms of stats. And I think I understand the disconnect.

The disconnect, as I see it, has to do with the first half of the season vs the last half. You just listed his stats for all of last year. Let's look at the splits:

First 8 games:
    6.5 sacks, 15 tackles, 8 assists, 16 QB hits, 12 TFL

Last 8 games:
    2 sacks, 10 tackles, 7 assists, 8 QB hits, 4.5 TFL

And I will tell you that some of those tackles and assists in the second half looked more accidental than anything else. You can tell from these stats that there was definitely a dropoff in the second half of the season. There may be a number of explanations for that, including his foot issues. But this meshes with what I saw on the field, which was this:

-- A need to beat tackles off the edge by anticipating the count, because otherwise they shut him down pretty easily
    -- Setting himself up way outside to try to get the edge, thereby offering no help to the inside
    -- An inability to plant and drive towards the QB, instead allowing T's to just push him by the QB on the outside fo the pocket
    -- A tendency to jump offsides because of his need to time the snap count in order to have any shot of getting to the QB
    -- Lack of ability to apply pressure on the QB, even against average or even below average linemen. For example against Washington he had 1 sack. If you recall, Washington was missing several of their starting linemen. 1...sack. This lack of pressure forced Kris Richard to blitz, leaving the corners in single coverage, and the rest is history.

As I look over Bennett's stats, I would amend my original statement to say that he was a non-factor 'over the second half of the season'. And the more I think of it, the more I think that it probably WAS due to his foot issues.

That being said, his second half of the year was not Pro-Bowl worthy, and he probably shouldn't have even been out on the field. It does, however, give me hope that he may be able to play well this year if his foot is better.
    We Fired Tom Cable!
    xgeoff
    NET Veteran

• Just wondering if a lot of you even watch the game these days or just compile stats to make arguments, Stats don't tell the whole story, if you know the game and watch what a player does the eyeball test should tell you whether a player contributes or should do something else or retire.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:01 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information