Dave Canales to QB coach

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Just saw on PFT that Dave Canales will become the QB coach. Was WR's coach for 3 years prior.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Not saying things will go badly, but our coaching hires sure have been low key/underwhelming.

erik2690

Reaction score
Is there much precedent for a WR coach going to QB coach. I don't mean to make it sound like some other universe, but it does seem odd. Unless they really think he's an up and coming great offensive mind and are grooming him for OC I'm not sure I totally get it. I was more into the Zorn rumor but I don't know much about this guy, can't write him off yet as being bad.

kobebryant

Reaction score
erik2690":3k5yi0si said:
Is there much precedent for a WR coach going to QB coach. I don't mean to make it sound like some other universe, but it does seem odd. Unless they really think he's an up and coming great offensive mind and are grooming him for OC I'm not sure I totally get it. I was more into the Zorn rumor but I don't know much about this guy, can't write him off yet as being good.

Kyle Shanahan, Sean Payton and Mike McCarthy are guys that were WR coaches prior to becoming QB coaches and eventual OCs -> HCs. So it is far from unprecedented.

erik2690

Reaction score
kobebryant":3qfxu233 said:
erik2690":3qfxu233 said:
Is there much precedent for a WR coach going to QB coach. I don't mean to make it sound like some other universe, but it does seem odd. Unless they really think he's an up and coming great offensive mind and are grooming him for OC I'm not sure I totally get it. I was more into the Zorn rumor but I don't know much about this guy, can't write him off yet as being good.

Kyle Shanahan, Sean Payton and Mike McCarthy are guys that were WR coaches prior to becoming QB coaches and eventual OCs -> HCs. So it is far from unprecedented.

For Payton and McCarthy I could only find 1 year of WR coach in college and neither immediately jumped to QB coach so I'm not sure I love that comparison if that's the extent, but the Shanahan parallel does seem pretty good. Thanks for the info, I didn't know that. It does seem more common than I assumed.

sutz

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":2g40lmmw said:
Not saying things will go badly, but our coaching hires sure have been low key/underwhelming.
It's how Pete seems to operate. With some exceptions, he doesn't normally go for well-known guys, and likes to hire from within.

Frankly, I think it's a reach back to our roots, get young guys in that are hungry to prove themselves. High risk, maybe, but could be high reward. Plus, I kind of like the "cross training" of a QB coach that understands what the WRs are doing.

Having said all that, Zorn would have been a cool add.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
This hire definitely caught me by surprise. I'm not saying that Canales won't necessarily turn out to be a good QB coach for Russell Wilson ... but I'm certainly scratching my head, trying to figure this one out (and I know just about everyone else is as well).

Like a lot of people, I was very excited about the prospect of Jim Zorn -- I personally think he is exactly the guy that Russell really needs. I think he would have been amazing in that capacity -- a guy who's a Seahawk legend and would be both an amazingly positive force (ala Pete Carroll) ... but also push and challenge Russell as well. He's a great QB coach who did a lot for Hasselbeck and with his pedigree, I thought that made a ton of sense.

This one ... I was caught flat footed. Canales has never played the QB position. So, I'm trying to figure out how this makes sense. From my perspective, I think that what he really is going to be ... is that positive rah, rah guy who will tell Wilson what his receivers are thinking on a given play (and from that perspective, that's an interesting angle. Maybe that will turn out to be a good thing). I believe what this truly signals ... is that Brian Schottenheimer (for all intents and purposes) will be the real QB coach for Russell Wilson. He's the one who's truly going to be in his ear. And we'll see how that pans out.

In the end, I'm willing to give Canales the benefit of the doubt ... but I will fully admit that I'm a bit disappointed. We'll see how this all shakes out.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
QB coacheck for one year at El Camino College in 2008 according to Wikipedia. Was also an OC coach. FWIW

Seymour

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":1e0mvt0s said:
I wonder if Nate Carroll becomes WR coach.

Not sure about that, but I am sure about 1 thing. Anyone with Carroll for a last name, does have impunity on this staff.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Damn. I wanted Zorn cause I’m still horny for Zorny. ;)

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I Wanted Zorn too. Thought he would be good to give Russell a new voice.

I will say this for Canales, though. He should be able to help Russell get on the same page with his WRs better because for the last 3 years he has been coaching them and he knows how they think. Not sure what that looks like, but it can only help, right?

Mojambo

Reaction score
Schottenheimer is going to be the defacto QB coach. Canales is being given the title and will primarily assist, I'd imagine.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I’m not against this move. Like McVay and Shanahan, they were unknown uncommodities that eventually became successes in this league. In fact, if he ends up being the o-coordinator in a few years I wouldn’t hate that either. I love seeing young fresh minds be given a chance, as opposed to old names like Norv Turner, etc