Is "Always Compete" back?

seabowl

Reaction score
Just curious if you think as I do that the "Always Compete" mantra is on the way back with the huge coaching turnover and the likelihood that at least some of the high profile players will also depart? Now that especially Cabevell is no longer there doesn't seem to be the double standard for accountability for players as opposed to coaches and Pete has reset the dial on putting his stamp on how he runs the team and what the rally cry is. I think it'll be interesting to see how he and the new staff approach the season.

Thoughts?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
No

It lost its meaning and aura when Pete didnt hold the coaching staff to the same standards as the players. The coaches are gone now, but its 3 years to late.

sutz

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3j1m1z5l said:
Wow, negative much? Reminds me of the glum character "it'lllll never worrrrrrrrk" :lol:
Really.

7f56bbd18fc57569aa47a9993c3ba2fe373decf0f6ef172f71

Uncle Si

Reaction score
It's really up to the players.

The mantra is only worth what the players want to put into it. Blaming coaches for a lack of motivation by highly paid athletes is a bit naive. This isn't a junior high sports team.

Placing blame on the coaches for not utilizing the players properly makes sense.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":jpqz2fca said:
No

It lost its meaning and aura when Pete didnt hold the coaching staff to the same standards as the players. The coaches are gone now, but its 3 years to late.

I've never agreed with this take. The idea that we're just supposed to make rash decisions and fire staff is why I'm glad fans don't get to make GM decisions. Pete did what any good employer does. He gave his coaches time to attempt to fix the problems, to get a chance to work with better personnel (We were trying to convert D-lineman to O-line for heaven's sake), and it still failed. What leader would fire Bevell for example, AFTER Russell went on that record breaking tear in 2015? Or last year when Russell was injured and presumably, couldn't return to late 2015 form? This year was the year it was clear that changes needed to be made. There were no personnel or injury situations to use as an excuse.

Rash decision makers are often poor leaders. I don't know if it's the social media age, but some of you really want us to become the Browns. Just fire and replace people left and right and expect stability

D

DomeHawk

pittpnthrs":xvf6b7kl said:
No

I don't know if I'm willing to buy into this 100% but there certainly is something there. If you are really selling "always compete" above everything else there can only be so much room for loyalty.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, because Pete and John clearly have no history of success. Let em do their jobs and enjoy the ride. Everyone wanted massive changes, now it has happened. Yet, people are still not satisfied because they didn't do it THEIR way.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1nea9xcv said:
pittpnthrs":1nea9xcv said:
No

I don't know if I'm willing to buy into this 100% but there certainly is something there. If you are really selling "always compete" above everything else there can only be so much room for loyalty.

This is the first year the Seahawks did not make the playoffs... and it appears literally every coach under PC is being replaced.

That is accountability.

Seymour

Reaction score
Always compete should mean "regardless of what happens around you, put out your best effort". Always does not mean that "only if coaches call your number" (ie see Jimmy Graham), Always does not mean "only when you are paid to your expectation", Always does not mean "only if the other side of the ball pulls their own"....it means always regardless.

Unfortunately not all humans think that way, especially nowadays. now we look for reasons why others have it better, others get unfair preference "no fair", he didn't do this so I'm not...ect.

Always compete is something that should not have to be said if you have well motivated and high integrity players. They should just trash that completely and substitute "100% for 60 minutes or 100-60." Yes 60 minutes not 30, yes 60 minutes not just in the red zone, yes 60 minutes not just when we run from the 1.....ect....ect. That puts the focus 100% on the player and not his surroundings.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":3l5f2myc said:
Always compete should mean "regardless of what happens around you, put out your best effort". Always does not mean that "only if coaches call your number" (ie see Jimmy Graham), Always does not mean "only when you are paid to your expectation", Always does not mean "only if the other side of the ball pulls their own"....it means always regardless.

Unfortunately not all humans think that way, especially nowadays. now we look for reasons why others have it better, others get unfair preference "no fair", he didn't do this so I'm not...ect.

Always compete is something that should not have to be said if you have well motivated and high integrity players. They should just trash that completely and substitute "100% for 60 minutes or 100-60." Yes 60 minutes not 30, yes 60 minutes not just in the red zone, yes 60 minutes not just when we run from the 1.....ect....ect. That puts the focus 100% on the player and not his surroundings.

Nailed it

mistaowen

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2xee6kxt said:
DomeHawk":2xee6kxt said:
pittpnthrs":2xee6kxt said:
No

This is the first year the Seahawks did not make the playoffs... and it appears literally every coach under PC is being replaced.

That is accountability.

Bingo - there were some excuses that could be made the past couple of seasons which kept coaching staff in tact, while still making the playoffs. This year not much. They're up to what, 7 coaching firings so far? Much needed and with legitimate reasons as the team continued it's downward trend.

I'm excited for the roster churn this offseason as well. I think a light went off in Pete's head watching Blair's final kick (probably in the NFL) lose the game week 17. Get the chip on their shoulder, hard workers that fill specific roles into camp. They need to start finding more Chris Clemons' and show the door to those who don't buy in.

All in all, this is still Pete's vision. He will keep coaching this way until he retires. I think he takes over the defense and lets Norton Jr motivate. BS will run the ball (interviews i've seen say his playbook is actually quite innovative) and hopefully new OL coach apply the same success he had with the Giants past two years.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3ueamu7o said:
DomeHawk":3ueamu7o said:
pittpnthrs":3ueamu7o said:
No

That is accountability.

I dont want to argue and not stating my opinion as fact, but I feel somebody needed fired immediately after SB49 (Bevell) for player morale if nothing else. Nothing happened and the locker room hasent been the same since. The people that denied that before certainly cant deny it now. Its real. Also, it didnt take a genius to see the team regressing shortly afterwards. When the Panthers destroyed us in the playoffs in 2015 I knew it was over. The draining of the coaching staff now may show accountability to an extent, but its still to late in happening in my opinion.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
mistaowen":1um10cg7 said:
and hopefully new OL coach apply the same success he had with the Giants past two years.

Good lord, I hope not. Well better than us, the Giants were still ranked 20th in the league in both 2016 and 2017 under Solari. I'm hoping he does a bit better than that while he's here..

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1dt1ehj5 said:
Uncle Si":1dt1ehj5 said:
DomeHawk":1dt1ehj5 said:
pittpnthrs":1dt1ehj5 said:
No

That is accountability.

I dont want to argue and not stating my opinion as fact, but I feel somebody needed fired immediately after SB49 (Bevell) for player morale if nothing else.

I appreciate how you've put this...but you don't fire SB coaches for one play in order to create a scapegoat (which is what you really mean when you say morale).

Once you really step back from the one play and examine everything else that's gone on, you still have a team that's reached the Super Bowl twice, one once, and never missed the playoffs until this year. Was more of that on Russell Wilson and the defense than Darell Bevell? You could argue that. But it still seems ridiculous to argue that kind of success.

I was always more willing to argue that Cable should go, but there were too many other existing factors (drafting poorly on the OL after 2015) to point it out to them.

Personally, I find Pete's timing in getting rid of people to be pretty good. It took him only one miss of the postseason to do it; he waited until it was obvious that player acquisition wasn't up to snuff and that coaching might be an issue; and it didn't look knee-jerk.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1a5xx98f said:
pittpnthrs":1a5xx98f said:
Uncle Si":1a5xx98f said:
DomeHawk":1a5xx98f said:

That is accountability.

I dont want to argue and not stating my opinion as fact, but I feel somebody needed fired immediately after SB49 (Bevell) for player morale if nothing else.

I appreciate how you've put this...but you don't fire SB coaches for one play in order to create a scapegoat (which is what you really mean when you say morale).

Once you really step back from the one play and examine everything else that's gone on, you still have a team that's reached the Super Bowl twice, one once, and never missed the playoffs until this year. Was more of that on Russell Wilson and the defense than Darell Bevell? You could argue that. But it still seems ridiculous to argue that kind of success.

I was always more willing to argue that Cable should go, but there were too many other existing factors (drafting poorly on the OL after 2015) to point it out to them.

Personally, I find Pete's timing in getting rid of people to be pretty good. It took him only one miss of the postseason to do it; he waited until it was obvious that player acquisition wasn't up to snuff and that coaching might be an issue; and it didn't look knee-jerk.

Agree. And not to continue to compare us to the Patriots, but did they fire someone when they gave up that ridiculous play to David Tyree? It was like 4th and forever if I remember correctly.

I'd have been more concerned if the Hawks lost that game by 3 scores and the offense never adjusted at halftime (remember how bad the team was struggling right up until the last 5 minutes or so)... or the next season they busted at like 7-9.

If you were going to fire someone because of the play, it would've been PC

Rat

Reaction score
You know which other coach emphasized competition? All of them in the history of football.

It's funny that Seahawks fans think Pete Carroll invented the concept of competition. It's just a meaningless buzz word slogan.

irfuben32

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1r183ygh said:
DomeHawk":1r183ygh said:
pittpnthrs":1r183ygh said:
No

That is accountability.

These low standards drive me crazy...

this team should have been a dynasty

Uncle Si

Reaction score
irfuben32":155x5c12 said:
Uncle Si":155x5c12 said:
DomeHawk":155x5c12 said:
pittpnthrs":155x5c12 said:
No

That is accountability.

These low standards drive me crazy...

this team should have been a dynasty

the "low standards" of the football fans?

Because I'm pretty sure PC was trying to win as many games as he could, and will continue to do so.

Here's the thing..

If they run or the pass is successful and win Super Bowl 50. They are a dynasty... and are probably still right where they are today. the difference in what you think of it is one play.

The classifications of the fans mean little. It's the players and coaches that do the work.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
Low standards? Since when we have had the right to even hold our team to a high standard? Some of y'all spoiled man. Be glad we made 2 superbowls in a row and won 1. Some teams have never even sniffed the ship.

Back on topic -

I think this sent a message to the players as well. Cause of your performance and execution we wiped out the coaching staff. If this happens again, you're next.

I love it.