Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Bye bye Bam Bam?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Bye bye Bam Bam?
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:41 am
  • Anyone see the image of Kam with the backpack walking away from the Hawks logo? Posted on Kam's Twitter account.
    This forum won't let me load an image from my phone. *whine*
    daveCFPrez
    NET Starter

Re: Bye bye Bam Bam?
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:45 am
  • This???
    Attachments
    Kam-Done.jpg
    Kam-Done.jpg (182.22 KiB) Viewed 4029 times
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:54 am
  • Anyway...if you zoom in there is a sig and the date '16 at the bottom.

Could be alot of things IMO.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:01 am
  • Looks like retirement.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

Bye bye Bam Bam?
Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:05 am
  • Yes you can load pictures from your phone. PM if you would like to know more.

As far as Kam goes (pardon the pun), he’s been one of my favs but his hold out caused him to lose favor in my eyes.

I’d love for him to be here forever if he can continue to pull his weight, and cover his cost. If not, next man up, and I hope we have, or can find the “next man”.

Kam and his talents/style are few and far between.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:09 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:

Kam puts the boom in the Legion of Boom. I know his injury is the type that could make playing again risky, so I wouldn't blame him if he were to retire, but I'll hold off on some official word before I close the book on him.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:10 am

Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:30 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:Yes you can load pictures from your phone. PM if you would like to know more.

As far as Kam goes (pardon the pun), he’s been one of my favs but his hold out caused him to lose favor in my eyes.

I’d love for him to be here forever if he can continue to pull his weight, and cover his cost. If not, next man up, and I hope we have, or can find the “next man”.

Me too. The hold out was selfish. He was preaching about "Love Our Brothers" but cost his team mates a possible shot at another Super Bowl by holding out and us losing a couple of games. That year could have cemented a "Dynasty" and a chance for a lot of Seahawks shot at the Hall of Fame.

But money became more important. He wanted to break Pete and John's standard for rewarding players for his own personal gain.

I still love him and what he's accomplished here, but he and his family have benefited immensely from football. I'm a Momma's boy, and the way he went about buying that house for his Mom brought tears to my eyes. But the hold out was ill-advised.

As far as the tweet, Brock and Salk and Gee talk about it this morning on 710. It could mean anything.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:48 am
  • I vehemently disagree that there is no drop off from Kam to McDougald. McDougald is fine on coverage. He doesn't have near the pattern recognition as Kam, but he can cover plenty well enough. Where he really falls short is in run defense. Kam os a monstrous edge setter and every team we played knew it. We got killed on the edge that McDougald played on over and over, game after game in off tackle and stretch plays.

If McDougald is going to be the SS then we are forced to start to invest on a starting level SLB now, because you no longer have one player who is elite at two positions. McDougald got good ratings from pff in run support, but he's not even remotely close. Galaxies apart, in fact. Some of Kam's most crucial plays are ones where he just destroys an entire edge and never even actually touches the ball carrier.

Road's closed.
    --Poster of the Month - April 2018--
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:13 pm
  • vin.couve12 wrote:I vehemently disagree that there is no drop off from Kam to McDougald. McDougald is fine on coverage. He doesn't have near the pattern recognition as Kam, but he can cover plenty well enough. Where he really falls short is in run defense. Kam os a monstrous edge setter and every team we played knew it. We got killed on the edge that McDougald played on over and over, game after game in off tackle and stretch plays.

If McDougald is going to be the SS then we are forced to start to invest on a starting level SLB now, because you no longer have one player who is elite at two positions. McDougald got good ratings from pff in run support, but he's not even remotely close. Galaxies apart, in fact. Some of Kam's most crucial plays are ones where he just destroys an entire edge and never even actually touches the ball carrier.

Road's closed.

There's no doubt as to Kam's value. Just look at those 2 games when he held out. Earl Thomas: "I don't know what to do now, Kam was the leader, he told us what was coming."

Chancellor is not only a Physical Monster, but exceptional at diagnosing plays. There's nobody like him, nor will there ever be. But someday we will have to adjust ot life without him.

To me, this would be similar to losing Walter Jones. In emotions and in talent downgrade.

ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:15 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:Yes you can load pictures from your phone. PM if you would like to know more.

Me too. The hold out was selfish. He was preaching about "Love Our Brothers" but cost his team mates a possible shot at another Super Bowl by holding out and us losing a couple of games. That year could have cemented a "Dynasty" and a chance for a lot of Seahawks shot at the Hall of Fame.

But money became more important. He wanted to break Pete and John's standard for rewarding players for his own personal gain.

I still love him and what he's accomplished here, but he and his family have benefited immensely from football. I'm a Momma's boy, and the way he went about buying that house for his Mom brought tears to my eyes. But the hold out was ill-advised.

As far as the tweet, Brock and Salk and Gee talk about it this morning on 710. It could mean anything.

If he is retiring due to a debilitating injury, doesn't that change your opinion of his hold out?

I mean "Love our Brothers" can only go so far before you have to "Take care of yourself too"
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:46 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:https://twitter.com/Cyoplasm/status/956940618407686144

This tweet is only slightly less vague than "Something will happen at some point this off season".
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:12 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:Yes you can load pictures from your phone. PM if you would like to know more.

If he is retiring due to a debilitating injury, doesn't that change your opinion of his hold out?

I mean "Love our Brothers" can only go so far before you have to "Take care of yourself too"

There's no doubt that it's on ET's mind. One play and it's all gone.

With Kam, knowing that he and Wagner are the brains of the operation, I never had the tought of trading Kam or anything like that. Witg ET, however, he's 29, one season away from a broken leg, and isn't going to get any faster, which is most of the reason why he's good. He's a shit teammate publically to boot so it's time to turn one diminishing asset into more opportunity.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:40 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:

Not at all. His hold out was 2 years ago when he had years left on his contract. It had nothing to do with his injury.

People get injured in all walks of life, and it can cost them their careers. But it doesn't make any difference in what kind of person they are. Some choose to go on Social Security, or some, like me, choose to continue working, albeit in a field that requires less physical labor.

NFL football players are taken care of when they get injuries. College football players and High School football players don't. Professional sports players have access to the kind of doctors and treatments the rest of us can only dream of.

Kam's hold out was to say "I deserve more money, and other players are going to have to take less." That hold out didn't hurt fans so much as it hurt his team mates. There's only so much money under the cap, and this team is up against it almost every year. Hence Blair Walsh.

I remember Michael Bennett, Earl Thomas, and others "Kam! Please come back!" He did, after they lost a couple of games, and possibly a shot at home field advantage and the Super Bowl. That effects his team mates more than it effects any of us.

ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:53 pm
  • In the pantheon of the greatest Seahawk players ever, Kam is easily there with Marshawn Lynch.

The LOB and Marshawn Lynch brought this team a SB.

More importantly, they brought a SB win.

I hope he isn't retiring or moving on, but he is one of my favorite Hawk players ever. Up there with Walter Jones in my eyes, as one of the great players I was just privileged to see play that would have been great in any era.

I would put him and Earl up against any duo in the secondary from any team or era you want to pick. And he did it at time the NFL was legislating all sorts of advantages to the offense to make it easier for teams to score.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:09 pm
  • vin.couve12 wrote:I vehemently disagree that there is no drop off from Kam to McDougald. McDougald is fine on coverage. He doesn't have near the pattern recognition as Kam, but he can cover plenty well enough. Where he really falls short is in run defense. Kam os a monstrous edge setter and every team we played knew it. We got killed on the edge that McDougald played on over and over, game after game in off tackle and stretch plays.

Road's closed.

He did absolutely fine on setting the edge. He didn't blow anyone up but a tackle is a tackle.

McDougald had 75 tackles and 4 pass deflections in the 9 games he started. Kam had 49 tackles and 2 pass deflections in the 9 games he played so I am not sure where the ire is about his tackling much less galaxies apart.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:33 pm
  • A: It is ridiculous to think there is no drop-off from Kam to McDougald. Seriously ridiculous.
    B: I am extremely disheartened by all of the "fans" who cling to their resentment towards Kam for his holdout.
    C: I am 100% certain that there is a a very strong correlation between posters who fall under B above that also "believe" A above.

It honestly disgusts me.

Kam is a warrior, a leader, an incredible human being, and he put his body and life on the line for the fans that are now dragging his name through the mud because he wanted to do right by his family.
    Last edited by A-Dog on Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:34 pm
  • seahawkfreak wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:I vehemently disagree that there is no drop off from Kam to McDougald. McDougald is fine on coverage. He doesn't have near the pattern recognition as Kam, but he can cover plenty well enough. Where he really falls short is in run defense. Kam os a monstrous edge setter and every team we played knew it. We got killed on the edge that McDougald played on over and over, game after game in off tackle and stretch plays.

Road's closed.

He did absolutely fine on setting the edge. He didn't blow anyone up but a tackle is a tackle.

McDougald had 75 tackles and 4 pass deflections in the 9 games he started. Kam had 49 tackles and 2 pass deflections in the 9 games he played so I am not sure where the ire is about his tackling much less galaxies apart.

You can't use tackle numbers alone to diagnose run defense. Like Vin said, a lot of Kam's best plays were ones that allowed someone else to make a tackle, usually someone in the front seven. Gotta look at the tape.

If members of the Legion are headed for the trade block or retirement, it's not going to be without a dropoff in the defense. Also, given that Bradley McDougald and Byron Maxwell both need to be actually signed, we're not going to save nearly as much money as y'all think.

What Seattle could do to mitigate the damage from Kam's departure is draft a solid run defender at SLB. Enough of the Mike Morgan's and Michael Wilhoite's.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:43 pm
  • seahawkfreak wrote: a tackle is a tackle.

No it's not.

Does it happen at or behind the line of scrimmage or does it happen 5 yards downfield? Does it happen after the player has made a first down or did it prevent a first down? Did it happen after a completion was made in front of the player, or was it a violent, physical, intimidating collision that jarred the ball loose and prevented a completion?

Ask Vernon Davis or Demaryius Thomas if a tackle is a tackle.

Not to mention all of the offensive linemen that Kam blew up with regularity, setting the edge or blocking the whole so other players could make a tackle.

Remember how when Kam held out, Earl Thomas was not made captain despite being an All Pro and "the best player on the team?"

Remember how the next year Kam was voted captain AGAIN, even after he "betrayed his teammates."

There's a reason for that.

Cognitive bias is rampant on this board
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:54 pm
  • Man will be tough seeing Kam retire if true! If he does, I'll still be rockin his #31 jersey as he was a key part of our Hawks Superbowls!!! Next man up.
    BeanieHawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:57 pm
  • I was watching "A Football Life" with Steve Largent just last night.
    You watch these great ones through the years and see some great stuff that fades with time.
    Bam Bam will be on that show one day no doubt as he is one of the great Hawks to play.
    It all ends at some point,earlier for some than others but I'm at peace with it.
    His health means more than any game.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:09 pm
  • Well if this truly is the end, it was amazing to have him here for the time he was on the team. He's one of my favorite players. Some of my favorite plays include him absolutely destroying Eric Winston setting the edge, SB 48 (his entire game was practically the best SS game ever), FG block vs Carolina, and of course killing Vernon Davis multiple times.
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:16 pm
  • A-Dog wrote:
    seahawkfreak wrote: a tackle is a tackle.

No it's not.

Does it happen at or behind the line of scrimmage or does it happen 5 yards downfield? Does it happen after the player has made a first down or did it prevent a first down? Did it happen after a completion was made in front of the player, or was it a violent, physical, intimidating collision that jarred the ball lose and prevented a completion?

Ask Vernon Davis or Demaryius Thomas if a tack is a tackle.

Not to mention all of the offensive linemen that Kam blew up with regularity, setting the edge or blocking the whole so other players could make a tackle.

Remember how when Kam held out, Earl Thomas was not made captain despite being an All Pro and "the best player on the team?"

Remember how the next year Kam was voted captain AGAIN, even after he "betrayed his teammates."

Some of you guys are getting awfully sensitive and are taking my defense of McDougald out of context and making it seem like I am just hating on Kam. That is seriously ridiculous.

I stand by my tackle is tackle. Who doesn't like it when Kam blows someone up? It is intimidating to opposing players but it may have also shortened his career. In the Eagles game McDougald stacked on the edge on 4th and short, slammed down and tackled the RB in the backfield. Did he blow him up,,, no but he made the tackle and it still was a turnover on downs.

Also Mcdougald's coverage skills are better than Kam's. So we have a versatile safety that can play either FS or SS, can tackle as well as having good coverage skills. Is he better than Kam as a football player and a leader overall, no but he can play good football and saying there was a galaxy of difference between him and Kam definitely implies that McDougald had a subpar season that was a hindrance on the defense, which he was not.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:26 pm
  • seahawkfreak wrote:
    A-Dog wrote:

No it's not.

Does it happen at or behind the line of scrimmage or does it happen 5 yards downfield? Does it happen after the player has made a first down or did it prevent a first down? Did it happen after a completion was made in front of the player, or was it a violent, physical, intimidating collision that jarred the ball lose and prevented a completion?

Some of you guys are getting awfully sensitive and are taking my defense of McDougald out of context and making it seem like I am just hating on Kam. That is seriously ridiculous.

I stand by my tackle is tackle. Who doesn't like it when Kam blows someone up? It is intimidating to opposing players but it may have also shortened his career. In the Eagles game McDougald stacked on the edge on 4th and short, slammed down and tackled the RB in the backfield. Did he blow him up,,, no but he made the tackle and it still was a turnover on downs.

Also Mcdougald's coverage skills are better than Kam's. So we have a versatile safety that can play either FS or SS, can tackle as well as having good coverage skills. Is he better than Kam as a football player and a leader overall, no but he can play good football and saying there was a galaxy of difference between him and Kam definitely implies that McDougald had a subpar season that was a hindrance on the defense, which he was not.

Agree...and to tie into it more....experience will give him more of a presence on the field. That will lead to a rebirth of the Legion if he is given a chance. All I want is to be given a chance.......and one person got it and we were next in line for the SB....That was Richard Sherman. Tis not a quote by any means, but it is what happened.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:27 pm
  • seahawkfreak wrote:
    A-Dog wrote:

No it's not.

A) Mcdougald's cover skills are NOT better than Kam's.
    B) McDougald is mediocre at SS and a liability at FS in Seatte's scheme. He's a savvy but limited pro - a band-aid, nothing more. A good player to have on your team but probably the first guy you're looking to replace if he's starting.
    C) I made a thread (see below) about how we need to keep McDougald - I see his value and I'm not hating on him, I'm just flabbergasted at how overboard some of ya'll are going on how amazing McDougald is and how easily he could replace two hall of famers.

http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=143109
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:41 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:

Not at all. His hold out was 2 years ago when he had years left on his contract. It had nothing to do with his injury.

People get injured in all walks of life, and it can cost them their careers. But it doesn't make any difference in what kind of person they are. Some choose to go on Social Security, or some, like me, choose to continue working, albeit in a field that requires less physical labor.

NFL football players are taken care of when they get injuries. College football players and High School football players don't. Professional sports players have access to the kind of doctors and treatments the rest of us can only dream of.

Kam's hold out was to say "I deserve more money, and other players are going to have to take less." That hold out didn't hurt fans so much as it hurt his team mates. There's only so much money under the cap, and this team is up against it almost every year. Hence Blair Walsh.

I remember Michael Bennett, Earl Thomas, and others "Kam! Please come back!" He did, after they lost a couple of games, and possibly a shot at home field advantage and the Super Bowl. That effects his team mates more than it effects any of us.

This seems a little distorted.

First, he held out to financially secure his future.. in case something cuts his earning power short (like an injury). The NFL does not take care of these guys after they retire, not in the way a renegotiated contract would. We can debate whether football players SHOULD do this, but it’s pretty common for players who are excelling beyond their pay.

And lastly.. NFL football is nothing like “all walks of life” and comparing it as such really doesn’t equate. Reality and the sports world are just vastly different.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:42 pm
  • If Kam is done, then Kam is done. Let's get this straight in regards to the cognitive bias, as A-Dog states.

Here's the scenarios if Kam is done because at this point, if he is done, it's not about Kam and McDougald...it's about how good your defense is.

FACTUAL DISCLAIMER: This is based on the cold hard truth that sealing edges in the 4-3 Under and Over is of utmost importance to this defense and no safety in the NFL can seal edges as well as Kam. Not even many LBs can.

A) Invest in another LB and keep McDougald at SS, but slightly altering alignment while also keeping a LB on the field more because you don't have that 2 in 1 player. You are now left with less nickel. Remember, run defense is a priority.

B) McDougald is no longer your SS under the current construct of the defense and maybe plays FS or is a backup again. He filled in admirably and is a good player, but overall our run defense will continue to suffer long term if we continue this absolute lie that he can fill that role, which is a coaches luxury.

Again, this isn't about Kam vs McDougald. You'd have to be insane to compare. It's about how this defense operates going forward and how successful it is. Don't lie to yourself. You'll end up in a bad marriage.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:03 pm
  • A tackle is not a tackle.

A quick lesson is to start with this defense that Seattle runs. It's 1 gap and everyone is responsible for their gap. Everyone does their job to plug every gap so that there is no where to run. Discipline is a huge requirement, along with the capability of actually being able to man your gap. To do your responsibility as it pertains to the design of the defense.

When you vacate your gap or retreat to get an angle it WILL bite you and you will lose...literally by way of yardage.

There was once this stat called impact tackles. It measured TFLs, sacks, tackles for less than 3 yard gains, 3rd down stops, 4th down stops, and a couple of others. It was telling that Bobby Wagner and Navarro Bowman dominated these stats for multiple years while it was kept. It was also telling that a guy, who had the stigma of making a lot of downfield tackles coming out of college, never cracked the top 7 of that list. That was Luke Keuckly. It was true in college and it's true in the pros.

Do your job. Don't be a glory boy. A tackle is not just a tackle.

vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:13 pm
  • Also, on a side note, one of the single best plays I ever saw Kam make was a game against Dallas. They were driving and got down to the 20 on a 3rd and short. Kam was freaking out and jumping up and down when Dallas lined up. No one could hear him. He ran up to the line and slapped Mebane on his right hip. Mebane slid out to the 3 gap from his usual 1 gap, shot the gap, and crushed their RB just as he got the ball on a pitch out.

Kam ran back to his spot just before the hike and just raised one arm. Didn't even hardly move.

That's what you're replacing even outside of the "savage athlete" as Sherm says. Killed a drive with his mind.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:34 pm
  • People are saying there will never be another Kam, we waited 20 years or so for the person who was able to be the there will never be another Easley replacement.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:38 pm
  • There was nothing mediocre about McDougald last year, and yes he's a better coverage safety than Kam. Kam and Earl could've handled both their situations better. They will be hard to replace but I think given the circumstances its time, maybe we can hold on to Sherm.
    .NET Pick The Score - 1st Season

"Sometimes, guys can't hang with what's expected for one reason or another, their growth, their development and all that, and the best thing I can tell you is that they're not here." - Big Balls Pete
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Tally, Seminole Country (Road Hawk)

Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:40 pm
  • There was a play that stood out toward the end of the season (Jags game?). Short yardage goal to go run play. McD was in perfect position, but took a bit of an off angle and basically slid off the ball carrier allowing an easy TD. I know it was only one play, but all I can remember thinking was "Kam stops that in the backfield"

Kam will not be replaced when he is done, in the complete physical/cerebral/leadership picture. He is truly that special.
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:41 pm
  • There is a Griffin in the draft that could I think :)

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:44 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:There is a Griffin in the draft that could I think :)

Second that.

Also, I know he is listed as a linebacker but Roquan Smith would be a very nice fit as well at SS, especially if he runs at least a 4.6 40.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:12 pm
  • No worries. I'm sure we hit a home run on Tedric and Delano. We good.
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:13 pm
  • Griffin likely goes undrafted. That plays out well for the Hawks. Although in that scenario I don't know if the Hawks touch him, because of his brother. If he doesn't make it, that takes a toll.

I don't mean to be a jerk, I really don't. The underdog mantra fits and he's got great talent. It's just a huge risk that has a greater effect than just cutting an average UDFA. There would be just such a big emotional investment there. It's risky is all, I guess.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:20 pm
  • Seattle sports fans hang on and have emotional attachment to their beloved players for too long. Kam is not the same player he was 4-5 years ago. He’s aging and has become a liability in coverage. I’m grateful for everything he’s done for this franchise. But if it’s time to move on, so be it. If he was a Patriot he probably would have been traded or released already. This franchise needs to be more cutthroat. A perfect example is Ty Law. He was dealt away a year before he declined.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:10 pm
  • Four to Five years ago, Ronnie Lott was saying that Kam was playing like the best safety ever except for Kenny Easley. Even if you were remotely correct in his decline, you'd still be talking about an elite LB. You're not though. He still made plays even in deep coverage even this year. It's a different game when you know what's coming vs reacting. Kam has always played fast, but even if he ran a 4.7 like McDougald, he'd still be a great player. It's one of the reasons why McDougald is good despite being a far lesser athlete in basically every category. McDougald is good. He's just not remotely as good as Kam.

Even still, I go back to not trying to have McDougald try to be Kam. There's no point. You really have to invest in an awesome LB at that point and let McDougald play more of an off SS like you used to see more of. He's just not that guy. You'll need a great athlete of a LB who's also a true football player by nature.

You're just frickin asking a lot. It's not just safety.
    Last edited by vin.couve12 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:16 pm
  • "I don't mean to be a jerk, I really don't. The underdog mantra fits and he's got great talent. It's just a huge risk that has a greater effect than just cutting an average UDFA. There would be just such a big emotional investment there. It's risky is all, I guess."
    Didn't we release Kam's brother ? At least he got a shot. That's more than 95% of NCAA/NAIA football players.
    TreeRon
    NET Practice Squad

Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:22 pm
  • TreeRon wrote:"I don't mean to be a jerk, I really don't. The underdog mantra fits and he's got great talent. It's just a huge risk that has a greater effect than just cutting an average UDFA. There would be just such a big emotional investment there. It's risky is all, I guess."
    Didn't we release Kam's brother ? At least he got a shot. That's more than 95% of NCAA/NAIA football players.

You're not wrong. And I guess I'm probably selling them both short.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:53 pm
  • His neck must be pretty bad .
    Heyseed
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:33 am
  • Isn’t setting the edge generaly the responsibility of the DE or OLB?
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:49 am
  • vin.couve12 wrote:Four to Five years ago, Ronnie Lott was saying that Kam was playing like the best safety ever except for Kenny Easley. Even if you were remotely correct in his decline, you'd still be talking about an elite LB. You're not though. He still made plays even in deep coverage even this year. It's a different game when you know what's coming vs reacting. Kam has always played fast, but even if he ran a 4.7 like McDougald, he'd still be a great player. It's one of the reasons why McDougald is good despite being a far lesser athlete in basically every category. McDougald is good. He's just not remotely as good as Kam.

Even still, I go back to not trying to have McDougald try to be Kam. There's no point. You really have to invest in an awesome LB at that point and let McDougald play more of an off SS like you used to see more of. He's just not that guy. You'll need a great athlete of a LB who's also a true football player by nature.

You're just frickin asking a lot. It's not just safety.

We must have watched different games the past two years.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:53 am
  • vin.couve12 wrote:Griffin likely goes undrafted. That plays out well for the Hawks. Although in that scenario I don't know if the Hawks touch him, because of his brother. If he doesn't make it, that takes a toll.

I don't mean to be a jerk, I really don't. The underdog mantra fits and he's got great talent. It's just a huge risk that has a greater effect than just cutting an average UDFA. There would be just such a big emotional investment there. It's risky is all, I guess.

I think the large amount of late picks JS has might help to bring in someone like Griffen. Don't we have 6 5-7th rd picks?
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:07 am
  • Kam’s holdout was about one outsider getting $$. It was about the signing of Cary Williams. He was fine up until then once that took place, things went sour. I think giving Harvin money had some impact too but the Cary Williams signing put him over the top. Chancellor was correct too, Williams should have never got that amount of $$$ period. Another bad decision by the FO.

#31 has a rep of being an enforcer. Receivers get alligator arms at the mere mention of his name. Teams game plan to avoid him. With all due respect to Bradley McDougald, no one is shuddering based on him being back there or his name. Getting lambasted by Kam and tackled by mcdougald are not the same. No one wants to get hit by Kam.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:48 am
  • Kam will be missed. Time rolls on.
    semiahmoo
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:12 pm
  • I have a feeling Kam will retire and take a year off. He will then try to make a comeback with a crap team. He will never be the same. It won’t tarnish his legacy but it won’t help. Kam needs to retire. Join the NFL network for a few years and then get into coaching.
    SUPERBOWL XL CHAMPS AND I HAVE THE SHIRT TO PROVE IT!
    zchurch74
    NET Rookie

Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:19 pm
  • Steve2222 wrote:He’s aging and has become a liability in coverage.

Kam was never a gaping problem in coverage. That narrative came from a couple of plays in 2015 where he was the trailing guy in coverage on plays that Earl or the CB/LB were actually responsible for, and the commentator called Kam out because he's the only guy on the screen with only 30 seconds for the commentator to diagnose the play. Commentators are the worst thing for the NFL.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:19 pm
  • Players in this day sure like to stir up crud on social media.

Post cryptic words or pics and sit back and watch the speculative lunacy.

Happens so often
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:30 am
  • zchurch74 wrote:I have a feeling Kam will retire and take a year off. He will then try to make a comeback with a crap team. He will never be the same. It won’t tarnish his legacy but it won’t help. Kam needs to retire. Join the NFL network for a few years and then get into coaching.

If he does that it is with the Hawks..Unless a Lynch type deal is made
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 11:55 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information