Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

"Holdout" news of Earl Thomas

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
"Holdout" news of Earl Thomas
Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:54 am
  • Per ESPN, "Earl Thomas wants new Seahawks contract, willing to hold out for it"

AKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Seattle Seahawks safety Earl Thomas is confident that he and the team can agree to another contract extension, but if not, he is contemplating holding out.

"I want to finish my career there," Thomas told ESPN after Thursday's Pro Bowl practice at ESPN's Wide World of Sports Complex. "I definitely don't see myself going out there not signed. But I'm going to continue to work my butt off and enjoy this process at the Pro Bowl.

"As far as my future in Seattle, I think if they want me, you know, money talks. We'll get something accomplished. Other than that, I'm just taking it one day at a time."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2222 ... w-contract
    hawknation2018
    NET Rookie

Re: "holdout" news of Earl Thomas
Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:09 pm
  • They usually do an extension when players they like have 1 year left on their contract. But with Earl, who knows.

I'll bet John is working several different angles on this, to see which one benefits the Seahawks the most.

A. Trade possibilities

B. Cost of a contract extension vs overall Cap Space and Needs.

C. Replacement possibilities, a talented "almost" Earl on the cheap vs The Real Earl Thomas for a lot of money.

D. Ability of Cornerbacks and whoever the Strong Safety is going to be, as it pertains to the need for an Elite Free Safety, or a Serviceable Free Safety. (Do you need an Elite Free Safety to cover for Mediocre DBs?)

I hope we keep Earl, but would understand if we don't.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:10 pm
  • Giants or Browns are probably taking Barkley in thr first two picks, but I'm sure we can get some really valuable assets for him. I still go back to us going from 17ppg to 16ppg with McDougald at FS this year. McDougald is a better FS than SS and even with drafting the two rooks last year we'll need more depth.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

Re: "Holdout" news of Earl Thomas
Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:16 pm
  • Earl is going into the last year of his contract. He's made statements that would lead us to believe he plans to play long enough to have at least one more contract. This really makes Earl's holdout statement a moot point in my eyes. We need to make a decision. Either we are going to keep Earl around to finish his career (or at least one more contract) or we get what we can for him in a trade right now. Letting him play out his contract isn't a wise option for us, because he would likely be offended by that, and may not want to re-sign here if that were to happen. If we are giving him up we should do so now and get what we can, if not, I have no doubt they'll work out an extension.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:23 pm
  • Really hope this doesn’t get ugly.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:31 pm
  • As great a player as he has been I would absolutely trade him before giving him another huge contract. I think not getting caught up in giving aging players big contracts is where the Patriots have separated themselves from the rest of the league. Yes, I know you are going to come back and say it's Tommy-boy that separates them, but I believe it is more than that.
    In the old days the other O-linemen would have just taken Ifedi out back and beat the crap out of him.
    DomeHawk
    NET Rookie

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:35 pm
  • original poster wrote:Really hope this doesn’t get ugly.

I think that is a very unlikely scenario. As I said, I only see two viable options for the team, either trade him or re-sign him. Trying to keep him for the final year of his deal with no extension would be a foolish move.

If Kam were coming back, I'd definitely jump on the trade while the value is high bandwagon, but with the possibility of losing both of our premier safeties at the same time, I am leaning towards a new deal. Of course I'm very wary due to cap ramifications, but if they clear up space in other ways, I still think Thomas is a premier safety in this league.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:56 pm
  • Completely agree that Earl is a top safety. Keeping him with a new deal is going to be tough.

Here are the saftey contracts for the NFL from OTC.com:

https://overthecap.com/position/safety/

Earl has indicated he wants some of that Eric Berry type money so it will be a hard thing to fit him and some of the other needs under the cap while still keeping competitive depth.

His trade provides significant cap relief and an abily to retool. Tough decisions are going to have to be made.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:02 pm
  • If he were to be extended you can assume his 2018 cap hit will be lower.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:03 pm
  • What would Belichick do?
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:07 pm
  • original poster wrote:If he were to be extended you can assume his 2018 cap hit will be lower.

Doesn't it totally depend upon the deal agreed to?
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:17 pm
  • jammerhawk wrote:
    original poster wrote:If he were to be extended you can assume his 2018 cap hit will be lower.

Yes it sure does. And if it ends up lower, then they pushed out $$ later that will just hurt down the road.

AS much as I like Earl, paying him top $$ now on another 3+ year deal is too much of a gamble given the condition of the other LOB members going down after this long.

Time to move on from Earl. The crap between him and Wagner and Garrett just makes this easier IMO.
    Last edited by Seymour on Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:18 pm
  • jammerhawk wrote:
    original poster wrote:If he were to be extended you can assume his 2018 cap hit will be lower.

It does, but in general terms, these deals come with a large signing bonus then a minimal salary for the first year, then rising salaries throughout the rest of the contract.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:19 pm
  • Earl's still one of the best safeties in the game and deservedly should be paid well. I think it'll come down to if Pete wants to burn the roster down or assume Earl's high level of play continues. Nothing about his play makes me think he will suddenly hit a wall, at least early on in his 3rd contract.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:45 pm
  • B* B* B*

Guy wants out and just using the pretense of holding out to veil his true intentions.. we've already seen what he wants.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:56 pm
  • Bobblehead wrote:B* B* B*

Guy wants out and just using the pretense of holding out to veil his true intentions.. we've already seen what he wants.

If he wanted out he wouldn’t be open to an extension.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:05 pm
  • Does anyone care to mention the fact that nothing Earl said indicated a holdout?
    hawknation2018
    NET Rookie

Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:08 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:B* B* B*

Do you know what he wants?
    I doubt he will burn his options, but saying he's open to an extension and wanting to finish out his career heret does make it sound good.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:11 pm
  • Trade him. Just like the same thing I said about Kam when he did his holdout. Hawks FO need to start taking control of this team.
    ZagHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:16 pm
  • hawknation2018 wrote:
    Per ESPN, "Earl Thomas wants new Seahawks contract, willing to hold out for it"

AKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Seattle Seahawks safety Earl Thomas is confident that he and the team can agree to another contract extension, but if not, he is contemplating holding out.

"I want to finish my career there," Thomas told ESPN after Thursday's Pro Bowl practice at ESPN's Wide World of Sports Complex. "I definitely don't see myself going out there not signed. But I'm going to continue to work my butt off and enjoy this process at the Pro Bowl.

"As far as my future in Seattle, I think if they want me, you know, money talks. We'll get something accomplished. Other than that, I'm just taking it one day at a time."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2222 ... w-contract

hawknation2018 wrote:Does anyone care to mention the fact that nothing Earl said indicated a holdout?

Doesn't this at the very least hint at it?
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:27 pm
  • Yeah, pretty much everybody has spotted the hidden meaning in Earl's words.

If you really want to try to convince me that Bill Belichick succeeds by having good defenses every year, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. He's got an ace special teams, a 4th-quarter offense designed to take advantage of 4th-quarter prevent defenses, and a QB who's willing to be boring in order to execute. That's how he wins.

Ironically, if any team had anything close to what Belichick has, I'd say it's Seattle and Russell Wilson. Nobody comes alive like Wilson in the 4th quarter, and a big part of it is those prevent defenses.

But Wilson isn't Brady.

The only reason I'd consider trading Earl is because we happen to have found a possibly Pro Bowl caliber replacement. If Steven Terrell were still warming the bench here, I wouldn't even think about it, and most likely, neither would Earl's most ardent haters.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:33 pm
  • Personally I feel that he will be traded at some point during the offseason. I don't think it will be to Dallas either. Could see Atlanta and Jacksonville showing a lot of interest though.

Earl Thomas is the only major trade chip this team has right now (Wilson and Wagner would be too, but neither guy is getting moved) and I think they realize this. Not to mention, Earl strikes me as a guy that will not be a happy player if the rest of the LOB is gone.
    ImTheScientist wrote:This guy is the closest thing to beast mode we will ever see. You got a glimpse of that yesterday. He was instantly my favorite player when they signed him. Give the dude a chance and don't overreact or overthink preseason. Go Hawks. Lacy will rush for 1,100 and 10TDs. Bend the knee.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:44 pm
  • vin.couve12 wrote:Giants or Browns are probably taking Barkley in thr first two picks, but I'm sure we can get some really valuable assets for him. I still go back to us going from 17ppg to 16ppg with McDougald at FS this year. McDougald is a better FS than SS and even with drafting the two rooks last year we'll need more depth.

Two game sample size. You really seem to have it in for Earl.

Last year, when Earl was lost for the season, our total defensive DVOA dropped from 3rd to 17th and our pass defense DVOA ranked fifth in the 11 weeks when we had him and 26th from then on. Not to mention getting killed through the air in the playoff game at Atlanta. He missed five games that year. Still a small sample size, but not as limited as a sample of playing decimated Redskins and Cardinals teams.
    Last edited by adeltaY on Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:48 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:The only reason I'd consider trading Earl is because we happen to have found a possibly Pro Bowl caliber replacement. If Steven Terrell were still warming the bench here, I wouldn't even think about it, and most likely, neither would Earl's most ardent haters.

Are you referring to McDougald? The guy who ran a 4.76 second 40-yard draft at the combine? No way he can play single high safety effectively.

I'm not opposed to trading earl but either the defense would need to change significantly or another safety would have to be signed.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:57 pm
  • As far as the Cowboys as a potential trade partner:

Zach Martin, like Earl, is in the last year of his deal. The Cowboys have already given huge money to Smith and Frederick, and they have to figure out how to sign DeMarcus Lawrence. Of course there is the Kris Richard connection, as well as Earl's "come get me" comment.

Wouldn't mind seeing an Earl for Martin deal (maybe bostered with draft picks)
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:04 pm
  • Trade him for draftpicks and draft Minkah Fitzpatrick, he is an Earl replacement. He and Mcdougald would be Excellent.
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:05 pm
  • Bobblehead wrote:B* B* B*

That's ridiculous. That's like me saying I would like a new car, but then I tell my wife I'm fine with the one I have, if we were just to wash it and give it a tune up.

If he wants a new team I'm pretty sure the way not to get it by trying to play Jedi mind tricks on Pete and John.
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:18 pm
  • A-Dog wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:The only reason I'd consider trading Earl is because we happen to have found a possibly Pro Bowl caliber replacement. If Steven Terrell were still warming the bench here, I wouldn't even think about it, and most likely, neither would Earl's most ardent haters.

Are you referring to McDougald? The guy who ran a 4.76 second 40-yard draft at the combine? No way he can play single high safety effectively.

I'm not opposed to trading earl but either the defense would need to change significantly or another safety would have to be signed.

Dude did you even watch this season?
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:31 pm
  • A-Dog wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:The only reason I'd consider trading Earl is because we happen to have found a possibly Pro Bowl caliber replacement. If Steven Terrell were still warming the bench here, I wouldn't even think about it, and most likely, neither would Earl's most ardent haters.

McDouglad replaced Earl at FS this season during his missed games.

I didn't even notice Earl was missing.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:43 pm
  • Bobblehead wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:B* B* B*

Do you know what he wants?
    I doubt he will burn his options, but saying he's open to an extension and wanting to finish out his career heret does make it sound good.

It's odd that, in your initial post you would say "Guy wants out" and in your reply to SH you said "Do you know what he wants?" Do you know what he wants? :roll:
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:50 pm
  • Me personally, give Earl a nice long 7yr extension like KJ said in an interview back in December when all the confusion and fuss happened when earl went to the cowboys locker room.

I personally have no issue with earl. I also dont have any issue with him wanting an extension. The kids a baller, and shows his heart on the field. He's given a lot to this team, and we have a few good ET Goal line karate chops to go with it all. If he truly wants to end his career in Seattle (which i doubt, because of KJ even mentioning in the same interview thats where he wants to end his career) than great if he's being genuine about that.
    Conference Championship: NFC: 2005, 2013, 2014
    Division Campionship: AFC West: 1988, 1999 NFC West: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014
    Superbowl Championship: 2013 XLVIII Final Score: Sea 43 Den 8

The Radish
    Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:10 pm: Please don't offend The Fonz like that. :roll:
    :les:
    Exittium
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:54 pm
  • Let's trade him if we can. He has good value and he's already the highest paid safety in the league if I'm not mistaken and is asking for more. Someone out there will pay it and I hope it's not us. We have too many other needs.
    Omahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:03 pm
  • Omahawk wrote:Let's trade him if we can. He has good value and he's already the highest paid safety in the league if I'm not mistaken and is asking for more. Someone out there will pay it and I hope it's not us. We have too many other needs.

He's definitely not the highest paid safety anymore. Eric Berry is scheduled to make $8.9 (and he has 4 years after 2018 where they are all even higher). Jimmy Ward, who is in the last year of his deal is making $8.526 million. Earl is making $8.5 million.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:21 pm
  • original poster wrote:McDouglad replaced Earl at FS this season during his missed games.

You mean like that catastrophe of a game against Washington where they drove 70 yards for a touchdown in 30 seconds to beat Seattle? You don't think Earl might have helped in that game?

When vital players go out the defensive schemes and responsibilities change in order to not expose the replacements. I'm pretty sure Richard's game plans with Earl in the lineup are a lot different than when he's not.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:22 pm
  • seahawkfreak wrote:
    A-Dog wrote:

Dude did you even watch this season?

I did.

Did you?
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:34 pm
  • A-Dog wrote:
    original poster wrote:McDouglad replaced Earl at FS this season during his missed games.

You mean like that catastrophe of a game against Washington where they drove 70 yards for a touchdown in 30 seconds to beat Seattle? You don't think Earl might have helped in that game?

When vital players go out the defensive schemes and responsibilities change in order to not expose the replacements. I'm pretty sure Richard's game plans with Earl in the lineup are a lot different than when he's not.

Invalid point. Many, many teams have done exactly the same thing with Earl on the field.

And of course defensive schemes change to suit the personnel. There was no amount of scheming to cover how bad Steven Terrell was last year was there?

McDouglad is well above serviceable at FS.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:56 pm
  • Invalid point?

Why would Richard leave his rookie in 1:1 coverage during a critical drive? Why not give him help over the top?

Maybe Richard was keeping in mind that the fact his backup FS is pedestrian and likely wouldn't have made it out to the boundary to break up that play even if he was kept back to help the rookie. Maybe if his all-pro safety with elite range was in the game Richard would have been able to call a more appropriate defense.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:01 pm
  • Let earl go before giving him a big contract. His best days are behind him.
    NJlargent
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:10 pm
  • Again, McDougald played two games against subpar competition at FS. I think he played well at SS consistently though.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:53 pm
  • NJlargent wrote:Let earl go before giving him a big contract. His best days are behind him.

This^
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:09 pm
  • IF we are going to trade him, at least ship him to an AFC team......
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:13 pm
  • WmHBonney wrote:What would Belichick do?

Trade him for multiple draft picks and draft his replacement.
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Tally, Seminole Country (Road Hawk)

Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:40 pm
  • I seen his Statement say all the right things but the real thing is he wants to force a trade and thinks that possibly the Cowboys will come and get him. His buddies are breaking down and playing at home is a dream.

This will be ugly at some point if he starts using the media to battle for him.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:59 pm
  • Trade him.

We need picks; last season was a disaster losing valuable picks for gambles that didn’t work.

He’s pretty much the only asset we could get some decent collateral with currently.

Him or Sherm; the latter would not be valued as highly in the market anymore.
    Gibbo
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:28 pm
  • What's really at play is whether Earl can give us high level, A- minimum play at that position for 4 years. Our system is highly dependent on a FS with speed that can run sideline to sideline in no time flat....seeing as we use a lot of single high safety and bring the SS(usually Bam Bam) to stop the run or press the TE.

I just have my doubts as to whether Earl will lose a step or not
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:46 pm
  • Hopefully multiple teams like the Falcons and Cowboys get into a bidding war....

Have a feeling JS is gonna get fleeced regardless though.
    Last edited by massari on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    massari
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:48 pm
  • Time to let him go.

He wants out and the Seahawks need cheaper and younger talent.

Bobby Wagner is the face of the Seahawks defense.
    HawkNuts
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:48 pm
  • Our defense is NOT hinged on the FS position.

Our defense is one of the most conservative there is, being cover 3. It's NOT a single high, which is cover 1. We run cover 1 about a quarter of the time, but it's usually an uber conservative 3 deep. That's why a guy like McDougald can play the FS position well enough to where you don't notice.The conservative nature of this defense stresses the MLB, SS, WLB and either a SLB or NCB. The 4 guys who are stretched thin on the underneath to mid routes have some of the most difficult jobs because we dedicate 3 guys deep most of the time.

CHALLENGE: Show me the last time Earl Thomass III made a play in coverage on the deep sideline. Also, how many INTs has he made on the deep sideline that wasn't tipped to him by Sherm?

Delving into these questions yourselves might help you come to terms with the truth. Particularly in looking at these two questions over the coarse of his career.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:59 pm
  • Time to let him go.

HawkNuts
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:03 pm
  • HawkNuts wrote:Time to let him go.

The latter statement is especially true and worth repeating.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:23 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information