"Holdout" news of Earl Thomas

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Per ESPN, "Earl Thomas wants new Seahawks contract, willing to hold out for it"

AKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Seattle Seahawks safety Earl Thomas is confident that he and the team can agree to another contract extension, but if not, he is contemplating holding out.

"I want to finish my career there," Thomas told ESPN after Thursday's Pro Bowl practice at ESPN's Wide World of Sports Complex. "I definitely don't see myself going out there not signed. But I'm going to continue to work my butt off and enjoy this process at the Pro Bowl.

"As far as my future in Seattle, I think if they want me, you know, money talks. We'll get something accomplished. Other than that, I'm just taking it one day at a time."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2222 ... w-contract

ivotuk

Reaction score
They usually do an extension when players they like have 1 year left on their contract. But with Earl, who knows.

I'll bet John is working several different angles on this, to see which one benefits the Seahawks the most.

A. Trade possibilities

B. Cost of a contract extension vs overall Cap Space and Needs.

C. Replacement possibilities, a talented "almost" Earl on the cheap vs The Real Earl Thomas for a lot of money.

D. Ability of Cornerbacks and whoever the Strong Safety is going to be, as it pertains to the need for an Elite Free Safety, or a Serviceable Free Safety. (Do you need an Elite Free Safety to cover for Mediocre DBs?)

I hope we keep Earl, but would understand if we don't.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Giants or Browns are probably taking Barkley in thr first two picks, but I'm sure we can get some really valuable assets for him. I still go back to us going from 17ppg to 16ppg with McDougald at FS this year. McDougald is a better FS than SS and even with drafting the two rooks last year we'll need more depth.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Earl is going into the last year of his contract. He's made statements that would lead us to believe he plans to play long enough to have at least one more contract. This really makes Earl's holdout statement a moot point in my eyes. We need to make a decision. Either we are going to keep Earl around to finish his career (or at least one more contract) or we get what we can for him in a trade right now. Letting him play out his contract isn't a wise option for us, because he would likely be offended by that, and may not want to re-sign here if that were to happen. If we are giving him up we should do so now and get what we can, if not, I have no doubt they'll work out an extension.

D

DomeHawk

As great a player as he has been I would absolutely trade him before giving him another huge contract. I think not getting caught up in giving aging players big contracts is where the Patriots have separated themselves from the rest of the league. Yes, I know you are going to come back and say it's Tommy-boy that separates them, but I believe it is more than that.

kidhawk

Reaction score
original poster":2e20naac said:
Really hope this doesn’t get ugly.

I think that is a very unlikely scenario. As I said, I only see two viable options for the team, either trade him or re-sign him. Trying to keep him for the final year of his deal with no extension would be a foolish move.

If Kam were coming back, I'd definitely jump on the trade while the value is high bandwagon, but with the possibility of losing both of our premier safeties at the same time, I am leaning towards a new deal. Of course I'm very wary due to cap ramifications, but if they clear up space in other ways, I still think Thomas is a premier safety in this league.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Completely agree that Earl is a top safety. Keeping him with a new deal is going to be tough.

Here are the saftey contracts for the NFL from OTC.com:

https://overthecap.com/position/safety/

Earl has indicated he wants some of that Eric Berry type money so it will be a hard thing to fit him and some of the other needs under the cap while still keeping competitive depth.

His trade provides significant cap relief and an abily to retool. Tough decisions are going to have to be made.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
original poster":2vegb3ca said:
If he were to be extended you can assume his 2018 cap hit will be lower.

Doesn't it totally depend upon the deal agreed to?

Seymour

Reaction score
jammerhawk":384brmx3 said:
original poster":384brmx3 said:

Yes it sure does. And if it ends up lower, then they pushed out $$ later that will just hurt down the road.

AS much as I like Earl, paying him top $$ now on another 3+ year deal is too much of a gamble given the condition of the other LOB members going down after this long.

Time to move on from Earl. The crap between him and Wagner and Garrett just makes this easier IMO.

kidhawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3k3b8x6i said:
original poster":3k3b8x6i said:

It does, but in general terms, these deals come with a large signing bonus then a minimal salary for the first year, then rising salaries throughout the rest of the contract.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Earl's still one of the best safeties in the game and deservedly should be paid well. I think it'll come down to if Pete wants to burn the roster down or assume Earl's high level of play continues. Nothing about his play makes me think he will suddenly hit a wall, at least early on in his 3rd contract.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
B* B* B*

Guy wants out and just using the pretense of holding out to veil his true intentions.. we've already seen what he wants.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2sjpzh1x said:
B* B* B*

Guy wants out and just using the pretense of holding out to veil his true intentions.. we've already seen what he wants.
If he wanted out he wouldn’t be open to an extension.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Does anyone care to mention the fact that nothing Earl said indicated a holdout?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":12bje2xt said:
Bobblehead":12bje2xt said:
B* B* B*

If he wanted out he wouldn’t be open to an extension.

Do you know what he wants?
I doubt he will burn his options, but saying he's open to an extension and wanting to finish out his career heret does make it sound good.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Trade him. Just like the same thing I said about Kam when he did his holdout. Hawks FO need to start taking control of this team.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
hawknation2018":bsiic4an said:
Per ESPN, "Earl Thomas wants new Seahawks contract, willing to hold out for it"

AKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Seattle Seahawks safety Earl Thomas is confident that he and the team can agree to another contract extension, but if not, he is contemplating holding out.

"I want to finish my career there," Thomas told ESPN after Thursday's Pro Bowl practice at ESPN's Wide World of Sports Complex. "I definitely don't see myself going out there not signed. But I'm going to continue to work my butt off and enjoy this process at the Pro Bowl.

"As far as my future in Seattle, I think if they want me, you know, money talks. We'll get something accomplished. Other than that, I'm just taking it one day at a time."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2222 ... w-contract

hawknation2018":bsiic4an said:
Does anyone care to mention the fact that nothing Earl said indicated a holdout?

Doesn't this at the very least hint at it?